Elite: Dangerous (continued)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Elite: Dangerous (continued)

Post by Terre » Fri, 2. Jan 15, 15:27

A continuation of the Elite: Dangerous looks better already! thread.

Threads with over one hundred pages are harder to protect from spam.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 2. Jan 15, 15:32

You just like being the OP.

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Fri, 2. Jan 15, 17:32

Well anyway, lot of people complaining about bugs at the moment. My own experience has been almost bug free though. So far the worst problems I've experienced are-

1) a weird glitch when selling exploration data where by cash balance is displayed as zero. (it's not zero, it just get's displayed as 0)

2) As of two nights ago I suddenly have to scan planets 3 times in order for the scan to 'stick' and the planet be identified.

While this is mildly annoying it's not exactly game braking. Not sure what I've been doing different to the other people, but as I say my experience of the game thus far is remarkably trouble free.

I do have some interface improvement suggestions though-

1) Allow the user to set a destination from the system map.
2) The system map should track whether you launched it from the galaxy map, or the navigation menu, and then go back to the relevant screen when you exit it. if you access it from the navigation menu (as I regularly do) it's annoying to have to exit both it, AND the galaxy map even though I never asked for the galaxy map.
3) Mission targets (e.g space stations) should be flagged in the target list.
4) It would be nice if you could request docking clearance from the navigation menu instead of having to switch the contacts menu.
5) On that subject it would be nice if we could set keyboard shortcuts to specific menu pages e.g. the afore mentioned contacts page.
Last edited by Nyax on Sat, 3. Jan 15, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Fri, 2. Jan 15, 18:38

Nyax wrote:Well anyway, lot of people complaining about bugs at the moment. My own experience has been almost bug free though. So far the worst problems I've experienced are-

1) a weird glitch when selling exploration data where by cash balance is displayed as zero. (it's not zero, it just get's displayed as 0)

2) As of two nights ago I suddenly have to scan planets 3 times in order for the scan to 'stick' and the planet be identified.

While this is mildly annoying it's not exactly game braking. Not sure what I've been doping different to the other people, but as I say my experience of the game thus far is remarkably trouble free.

I do have some interface improvement suggestions though-

1) Allow the user to set a destination from the system map.
2) The system map should track whether you launched it from the galaxy map, or the navigation menu, and then go back to the relevant screen when you exit it. if you access it from the navigation menu (as I regularly do) it's annoying to have to exit both it, AND the galaxy map even though I never asked for the galaxy map.
3) Mission targets (e.g space stations) should be flagged in the target list.
4) It would be nice if you could request docking clearance from the navigation menu instead of having to switch the contacts menu.
5) On that subject it would be nice if we could set keyboard shortcuts to specific menu pages e.g. the afore mentioned contacts page.
i still haven't had any bugs. except for AI stupidty, but that's not really a bug. we call it an "issue".

"word" on everything elese. these are all really good suggestions, and i see a lot of people making them.
Split say NEED MORE FIREPOWER!!

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Fri, 2. Jan 15, 19:22

My death by bug was clearly net code. It seemed like it thought I had hit the side of the station from 5km out. I am holding back from playing until they address the current round of inventory bugs, which I am hoping relate to the same net code issues I ran into.

Also i wish they would make the docking computer work the same way the X3 docking computer does. Hit it and then boom your just docked, or just turn off collision. Otherwise its worthless.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 2. Jan 15, 19:25

RoverTX wrote:My death by bug was clearly net code.
That sounds odd. Isn't it more likely that the problem was between you and whoever was hosting the instance? So yes, network related, but not necessarily net code itself.

I'm not saying I'm correct in this, but putting it down to "net code" feels a little over-simplistic to me. Anyway, it shouldn't happen regardless.

EDIT: My comment above presupposed that you were in online mode. Also, which sort of station was it? I know the Orbis (I think that's what they're called) stations are longer than 10km, so if you're unlucky you can end up inside the bloody things on warp in, and blow up as a result. They need to fix this too.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Fri, 2. Jan 15, 19:31

Was playing Solo, so unless it was an issue with the game client in general. Seems far more likely that there was a miss match of the stations position between my instance and the server. Either way if it was a miss match between me and the host if it was a group that would still be net-code.

Edit: It was a small cube station, main station in WOLF 906 I believe.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 2. Jan 15, 20:07

I've got no explanation then, other than "something was borked".
I can't breathe.

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Fri, 2. Jan 15, 23:35

RegisterMe wrote: ... snipped ...
EDIT: My comment above presupposed that you were in online mode.
... snipped ...
er ... maybe I need an update - have I missed something here? Is there any other mode for ED besides mandatory online gameplay even for 'solo' play mode? Offline play options being strictly unavailable.

... anyway I was under the impression it is online only, even single player, which is why I refuse to get involved with it. (as much as I love the ED ships, cockpits, universe in general.)
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Fri, 2. Jan 15, 23:55

When in group play I think what has been implied here is that one of the player's hosts the instance, which then communicates with the server. Does that make sense?

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 3. Jan 15, 00:11

Sorry, my bad. When I said "online" a few posts above I meant "open".

All ED play is online. You can play online (solo), online (friends only) and online (opem. ie anybody and everybody).
I can't breathe.

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Sat, 3. Jan 15, 00:25

RoverTX wrote:Also i wish they would make the docking computer work the same way the X3 docking computer does. Hit it and then boom your just docked, or just turn off collision. Otherwise its worthless.
From what I understand the main use of the docking computer is for the very large ships like the Anaconda that are trickier to dock as they barely fit through the docking port. For the smaller ships that nearly all of us are still flying, it is as you say a bit useless.

That said an external view (why, oh why isn't there one? (ditto rear view) It was one of my favourite features in the last two games) and would make it MUCH easier to dock the large vessels manually.
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sat, 3. Jan 15, 00:35

But, kurush, you can't say it's a "huge mess because of this online shit". You don't have the data to back up that statement. Similarly the moderators are not working "24/7 locking angry threads no forums". There's about six locked threads in the first six pages of the general discussion board, most of which have descended into flame fests, and some of which have been merged into other threads or are dupes of other threads. It looks to me like the mods (who are volunteers and not FD employees), are doing their jobs.

I sometimes wonder what your agenda is.
I am just mightily 3.14ssed off by this "olways online" bait and switch and Frontier in general as a result. I did expect it from the kickstarter times mostly, but I am still 3.14ssed :) And if you can't connect servers throwing transaction errors and game data getting corrupted with "always online", I am not sure what kind of argument I can present to change that. I mean it is so painfully obvious that if you have a local save, you can just roll back to a good save if things get broken like this.
Last edited by kurush on Sat, 3. Jan 15, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sat, 3. Jan 15, 00:47

Nyax wrote:Also i wish they would make the docking computer work the same way the X3 docking computer does. Hit it and then boom your just docked, or just turn off collision. Otherwise its worthless.
I have yet to die because of the docking computer and I am using it exclusively on all ships I've been on (starting from Cobra as I'm a backer). I only docked manually when Fed reputation was bugged and the game disabled auto-dock because of some red ships around. The key here is to have good shields as somethimes you do get hit by things. I just don't fancy doing the same thing again and again as I am not preparing myself for a Mc Donald's career :)
Having a way to bypass those stupid dock/undock custcenes would be awesome. For undock I normally use Save/Exit to save both time and effort but for Dock there is nothing you can do but sit and watch.
Last edited by kurush on Sat, 3. Jan 15, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 3. Jan 15, 00:49

kurush wrote:I mean it is so painfully obvious that if you have a local save, you can just roll back to a good save if things get broken like this.
And everybody else?
I can't breathe.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sat, 3. Jan 15, 00:50

RegisterMe wrote:And everybody else?
And everybody else is just not there if you are playing an offline game that we got robbed of :) So far the only use in multiplayer I found is trolling the PvP crowd with artificially introduced network glitches. That sounds fun but I'd rather just have an offline version.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Sat, 3. Jan 15, 12:38

Can you play the single player mode and then at a later date join the multiplayer with your assets.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Sat, 3. Jan 15, 13:58

muppetts wrote:Can you play the single player mode and then at a later date join the multiplayer with your assets.
yup. you can change mode whenever you want.
Split say NEED MORE FIREPOWER!!

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Sat, 3. Jan 15, 23:44

Any update about server stability? I still haven't heard back from them about my issue yet.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sun, 4. Jan 15, 01:17

RoverTX wrote:Any update about server stability? I still haven't heard back from them about my issue yet.
It seems stable enough right now and Frontier even had a press release saying that they fixed some failed database issue. Reply on your individual issue depends on whether you make enouth noise on their forums apparently. I got lucky to get my cargo issue resolved by attaching my ticket number to a thread on forums about this issue. It looks like their customer support is overwhelmed though and if your issue isn't typical it can take a while to resolve. You are lucky if you are hit by a big database glitch and not by some strange logical glitch nobody else ran into :)

Return to “Off Topic English”