Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 11:36

mrbadger noted:
No freaking way are they willing to go far.
The midterm elections will be over in November.
If the Democrats take even slim majorities in both
House of Representatives (Congress) and Senate then
Trump is toast. So watch this election VERY closely as
this will be NO HOLDS BARRED. Expect Trump and the GOP to
do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, legal or patently ILLEGAL to
keep or broaden their majority. Remembering back to the situation in the Nixon era of the wiretap on the Democratic HQ the Watergate Hotel in D.C. What's coming up should make that look like a college prank. Expect it to get VERY bad because EVERY FREAKING WAY if the Democrats take majority of the Legislative branch Trump is going to catch it. And he knows it.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 11:58

Your democrats make our conservative party look like a bunch of left wing hippies. So I'll keep my doubts for the moment.

It's all when it omes down to it 'keeo the US looking amazing', even though frankly on the world stage you kinda look like fools right now
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 12:15

mrbadger wrote:He seems to be, in effect is untouchable, because americans are terrified of critisizing their own president in such a way that they'd have to actually really remove one.
I was curious so I looked into this:

To my slight surprise there is no rule against a convicted felon being elected President, but all commentary opines that such a thing is "effectively" impossible because no party or electorate would ever vote for one.
Given Trump I think this is now rather naive, both have proven they will vote for an utter garbage dump of a human if they think it best serves their interests.

In regard to conviction of a sitting President.
Impeachment proceedings aside the President is basically immune whilst sitting. That doesn't mean they're above the law just that any prosecutions or penalties for law breaking are VERY likely to be deferred until after their terms are over.
Hank001 wrote:So watch this election VERY closely as
this will be NO HOLDS BARRED. Expect Trump and the GOP to
do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, legal or patently ILLEGAL to
keep or broaden their majority.
Indeed, it won't apply for the midterms but there going forward there is this:
https://www.nbcnews.com/card/california ... ot-n882936

It would split an 55 electoral college vote state that for the last two decades has voted heavily Democrat into 3 with 59 electoral college votes between them. . . . two of which would vote Republican.
It essentially gerrymandering on the state scale, and would likely all but guarantee a Republican President for decades to come, incredible. Thankfully its unlikely to pass.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 12:16

@ mrbadger

Comes down to there being two diametrically opposed interpriations of "America". Each side believing the other's interpretation borders on teason and will lead to ruin. For Trump and side of the coin they might well see it as a "matter of national security" that the opposing side of the coin doesn't land upward in November. "Not bloody likely" you might think, but watch. Remember that ANYTHING goes now and in effect the United States of America has became an oligarchy. Ask youself this professor; If Putin were in Trump's position what would he do? Because you can bank on Trump asking himself that very question. I'd not be very suprised at anything at this point. As soon as the mainstream Republican Party caved into Trump under the name of "party unity" Trump has acted without moderation.

Edit @Bishop149. You'll see quite a bit more of this type of antic coming successful or not.
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 13:01

But this isn't the only time the US has been seen to do something that's left other people wondering whether you've lost your collective marbles.

After 911, the US all but shut down access to study Visa's for Chinese students. I don't recall why, it was a long time ago.

The effect of this was that many US Universities almost went bankrupt, it likely led to the hike in student costs, and all those Chinese students switched to studying in the UK and Europe, something that continues to this day.

My classrooms are often filled with Chinese students, and my univesity collaborates with many chinese firms and universities on research. As do lots of others in the UK, it's a huge pie, and the US stopped eating from it.

So why did the US do this to themselves? Kill off billions in potential revenue, not potential in fact, but actual revenue, crippling their own educational establishments in the process.

I'm not complaining, your countries dumb move was our huge fortune, you did us a massive favour, brought all this money into our education sector that we weren't expecting. It's been great.

On an evolutionary standpoint, you guys are making the sorts of moves that in nature would mean the extinction train is stopping at your station.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 13:15

@ mrbadger

That one I got wrapped up in myself in 1998. A good deal of said students were Red Army. They were given "assingments". One lady bought no less than 100 under barrel laser gunsights and tried to mail them back to China in small lots. She was busted and deported. She was the girlfriend of a classmate and I got debriefed by our FBI because I still held clearances. Seems this type of thing was expected from their students and they were kept fairly busy with it. The policy change as far as their students we accepted was due to this type of "industrial espionage." That situation was the first and last time I heard about it until the bans came out later.
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 13:34

Yes, the reds are out to get you. Trouble is, the reds left you behind a long time ago.

That is old thinking, and it's going to keep you in the cold war era while the rest of the wold moves on I'm afraid.

We do need to be careful of China and Russia, but not by banning them from our countries.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 13:41

Jim Jordon reserves the right to decide who is guilty of attempting to enter the US illegally..
he says that 80% of those who attempt entry are criminals, and assumes that gives him the right to decide their fate
- and he is using this statistic as a means to consolidate his right to separate children from their parents and incarcerate them..

the Replicants are sitting on their hands while this buffoon is carving out his little ICE empire..
he says he has the support of the electorate because Trump won the election.. (??!!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAaWVu7sBmg

the incompetent Jordon is also using Trump's victory as the sole reason to attack James Comey
- again the Replicants sit quietly while the chaos ensues..

- it's all pure whatabout-ism.. :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 13:53

mrbadger stated:
Yes, the reds are out to get you. Trouble is, the reds left you behind a long time ago.
No arguments there. Quite the case of closing the barn door after the horse escaped.

It was painting entire nations students with the same brush (if you'll excuse another cliche) However that seems to be the way things work here as far as our governmental bureaucracy.
MIND THE GAP

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 14:22

I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 14:40

Another example of Trump's version of leadership. Take all the decision making away from you're appointees and dictate policy without all the fuss and bother. Now that Trade is under the Labor department I'd imagine the Secretary of Labor Wilbur Ross wasn't consulted about it to any great degree. The thinking in DC is very much from top to bottom, "keep you mouth shut and do what you're told" with only one person doing the telling. :rant:

Should be scary if you think about it.
Wonder who he'll alienate next?
Iceland? I haven't heard Trump rag
about Iceland yet. Probably low on his list
but he'll no doubt get to it eventually.
MIND THE GAP

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 14:47

Ahh yes Wilbur Ross.

"In November 2017, leaked documents known as the Paradise Papers showed that Ross had failed to clearly disclose financial ties to Russian interests in his confirmation hearings."

A man after Trump's own heart.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 15:05

@ RegisterMe

Of course! If he had an ounce of ethics he wouldn't have the job!

Look at our Attorney General. He went all ethical and recued himself and look what Trump's saying about that! The message was loud and clear. Get all "ethical" and you'll get stepped on. You weren't hired because I expect you to be ethical, I hired you to do what I tell you.

So we get legal opinions like this:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... -infamous/

So Jeff Session stands there and spouts biblical verse meaning "Trump's POLICY is gospel. :o. I guess he's trying to make ammends.
MIND THE GAP

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 15:20

ffs I've got investments in a "Chinese" fund (it's actually Hong Kong, USA, China, Taiwan - hence quotes. China segment is 15% with Hong Kong being 38% and the other two approx 23% each). This isn't news you want to hear though, from an investor perspective. Wonder what impact it'll actually have at ground level in both short, and long term, and wider impact upon the rest of us.
Last edited by Chips on Fri, 15. Jun 18, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 15:22

Hank001 wrote:So we get legal opinions like this:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... -infamous/

So Jeff Session stands there and spouts biblical verse meaning "Trump's POLICY is gospel. :o. I guess he's trying to make ammends.
I will share the bible passage form Isaiah that has been near universally quoted in response to Sessions bible thumping for Trump
Woe to those who enact unjust statutes and issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of fair treatment and withhold justice from the oppressed of My people, to make widows their spoil and plunder the fatherless.

What will you do on the day of reckoning when devastation comes from afar?
To whom will you flee for help?
Where will you leave your wealth?
Nothing will remain but to crouch among the captives or fall among the slain.
Mind you the bible also contains this gem, so you know. . . .
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear and sincerity of heart, just as you would show to Christ
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 15:30

@ Bishop149

At least it hasn't quite gotten to the point where he's using these gems:
Matthew 22:21 Jesus said "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's."
Romans 13:1 "Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God and those which exist are established by God."
Believe me, before November someone will drag either one of them out. :shock:
MIND THE GAP

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 16:04

yikes..!!:o
- reckon we seriously need some context here..

- calling Mr U on the underground radio.. :roll:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 16:19

@ BugMeister

Sorry, but the US Secretary of State started it with his bully pulpit pontifications about the correctness of interning children forcibly seperated from their partent/parents. Which is policy that so far should have no legal standing, but the Attorney General's own policy that US constitutional protections do not apply to illegal aliens which will soon be tested in several courts. Session resorting to verse was a call out to Trump's base to rally around the policy. A tactic I'm sorry to say we'll be seeing more and more of. So there is some context.
MIND THE GAP

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 16:57

- It's me who should be sorry, I was being cheeky..:roll:

- Mr U is much more scholarly than I, when it comes to Biblical studies..
- just thought he might provide some insight into those quotations..
- the Bible is so much more than mere words..

- guess it just annoys me to see such matters getting bent out of shape.. :)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 17:07

BugMeister noted and I quoted:
the Bible is so much more than mere words.
So it is. However what does it become when someone like....
(I cridge here because I too got tagged with Jefferson too)
Jeff Sessions thumps it to makes out like God is on his side?

Something in my midwestern methodist upbringing
makes me :evil: and think :twisted:
MIND THE GAP

Return to “Off Topic English”