Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

clakclak
x3

Re: Trump

Post by clakclak » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 14:29

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Tue, 30. Jun 20, 13:36
How can someone calling himself "patriot" consider a person like Trump a good leader for his country? Besides foreign relations, he's hurting internal unity in a way which has no record.
How a patriot could ever consider black or latin american "inferior", considering how long they lived and worked in and for the US? By my view, a true patriot would consider them more american than (for instance) a lot of egocentric remorseless (white) bankers who destroyed economy in the recent past.
Because traditional patriotism is a flawed concept that heavily relies upon xenophobia. The entire idea is that your country/your people are better than others. The question is only who these others are and who belongs to your group of patriots. For you the others are "egocentric remorseless (white) bankers", for other people they are "black or latin american(s)". I think one of the most clear example of this us vs them mentality are probably the so called "Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamisation of the Occident".

EDIT: I personally am a strong proponent of the so called Constitutional Patriotism (mostly using the term how Habermas defined it). It should replace the old more traditional forms of the concept, but as it makes traditional understandings of nationality obsolete it is a controversial concept.
Last edited by clakclak on Tue, 30. Jun 20, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 14:45

The problem with patriotism as a human concept is that two people with totally opposing views and aims can both believe that only their way provides a true path to patriotism. The same applies to loose statements such as 'Make the nation great (again)'.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 15:27

clakclak wrote:...
I know that, patriotism needs to evolve because globalization (good or bad, there's both in it) isn't going to vanish anytime.
I didn't know the definition of constitutional patriotism, but I see I'm inclined toward it as well. I'm proud to be Italian while strongly opposing exagerated nationalism I read about and listened too in my life.
Alan Phipps wrote:...
Education is lacking on the matter. Someone should explain to newer generations where a certain kind of "patriotism" brought nations / countries to. I would have loved to hear somebody explain that to me at school, but it's a bit late now...

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 15:50

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Tue, 30. Jun 20, 15:27
clakclak wrote:...
I know that, patriotism needs to evolve because globalization (good or bad, there's both in it) isn't going to vanish anytime.
I didn't know the definition of constitutional patriotism, but I see I'm inclined toward it as well. I'm proud to be Italian while strongly opposing exagerated nationalism I read about and listened too in my life.
Alan Phipps wrote:...
Education is lacking on the matter. Someone should explain to newer generations where a certain kind of "patriotism" brought nations / countries to. I would have loved to hear somebody explain that to me at school, but it's a bit late now...
The problem is really that some people see and use patriotism as a means to fulfill their selfish desires. It's some kind of distorted view that their country exists to serve their wants and needs alone and any deviation from that is somehow "unpatriotic". Everything used by them to define themselves as a patriot is centered around one thing - me me me me me me me me me I I I I I I I I I I I I

Sound familiar? It should. You wouldn't have to look hard in the news to find a self described patriot who is currently the president starting every conversation with "me" or "I". Neither would you have to look hard within this very thread to find self described patriots making similar self centered demands.

But you'll never find these people asking their country to do what's right, even if the outcome doesn't benefit them in any way.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 17:32

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 30. Jun 20, 15:50
But you'll never find these people asking their country to do what's right, even if the outcome doesn't benefit them in any way.
I think you got that part wrong it should either be:

But you'll never find these people asking their country to do what's right, even if the outcome does benefit them in any way.

or

But you'll never find these people asking their country to do what's right, especially if the outcome doesn't benefit them in any way

To me a patriot is a title that is earned through deeds and actions. While also a true patriot would not go around saying that they are a patriot, as that kind of goes against what a true patriot is, as a true patriot is not interested in the title as to them it is their deeds and actions that count. It's their love and devotion to their country, where the country comes before everything else which may even be their own life or the lives and livelihood of their family. It's a title that should be used sparingly, as not many are willing to make that sacrifice. Trump is most certainly not a patriot, he is a coward and a draft dodger who places money before anything and everything else, including family.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 19:13

Anyone who is a good patriot, realizes that the welfare of their nation, depends on the prosperity and security of their global compatriots. When patriotism declines into nationalism, we see people claiming that their country is superior to others. All countries are unique, but when members of one nation, try to make the case that they are superior, patriotism morphs into its antithesis and becomes the enemy of the people.

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 23:19

Observe wrote:
Tue, 30. Jun 20, 19:13
Anyone who is a good patriot, realizes that the welfare of their nation, depends on the prosperity and security of their global compatriots. When patriotism declines into nationalism, we see people claiming that their country is superior to others. All countries are unique, but when members of one nation, try to make the case that they are superior, patriotism morphs into its antithesis and becomes the enemy of the people.
This.
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 04:53

Aaaaaand here comes Trump saying he may end AFFH - which prohibits segregation, primarily in suburban neighborhoods.

It's like he doesn't even want to be president anymore, not that he has the authority to just up and remove a law.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 09:00

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Wed, 1. Jul 20, 04:53
Aaaaaand here comes Trump saying he may end AFFH - which prohibits segregation, primarily in suburban neighborhoods.

It's like he doesn't even want to be president anymore, not that he has the authority to just up and remove a law.
Where's the "Trump isn't a racist" man when we need him?
This escalation in Trump's racism looks like a plan, like he's been elected to damage unity and equality. Now that he's likely going to lose the White House, he's going all-in on rich supremacy trying to take off any right possible from the lower class. I hope America realizes that taking away low class rights means current middle class is going to be the new lower class.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 15:04

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Wed, 1. Jul 20, 09:00
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Wed, 1. Jul 20, 04:53

Where's the "Trump isn't a racist" man when we need him?
This escalation in Trump's racism looks like a plan, like he's been elected to damage unity and equality. Now that he's likely going to lose the White House, he's going all-in on rich supremacy trying to take off any right possible from the lower class. I hope America realizes that taking away low class rights means current middle class is going to be the new lower class.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmFXlt1AFHA
rebellionpac.com

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 00:32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUBAAeuBpPQ

lmao!! The sad part is, it's all in Russian with subtitles and Trump voters won't read it.
rebellionpac.com

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 03:48

felter wrote:
Tue, 30. Jun 20, 17:32

To me a patriot is a title that is earned through deeds and actions. While also a true patriot would not go around saying that they are a patriot, as that kind of goes against what a true patriot is, as a true patriot is not interested in the title as to them it is their deeds and actions that count. It's their love and devotion to their country, where the country comes before everything else which may even be their own life or the lives and livelihood of their family. It's a title that should be used sparingly, as not many are willing to make that sacrifice. Trump is most certainly not a patriot, he is a coward and a draft dodger who places money before anything and everything else, including family.
Service to country is not your metric. I served and hatred for me is everywhere. Trump is serving now and hatred for him is everywhere. You don't venerate service. You would love him if he was a lefty. Everything is politics now.
Who made that man a gunner?

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 04:14

Masterbagger wrote:
Thu, 2. Jul 20, 03:48
felter wrote:

Service to country is not your metric. I served and hatred for me is everywhere. Trump is serving now and hatred for him is everywhere. You don't venerate service. You would love him if he was a lefty. Everything is politics now.
Do not talk to me, do not quote me, have nothing to do with me, as I have no interest in anything you have to say,
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 04:22

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Everything used by them to define themselves as a patriot is centered around one thing - me me me me me me me me me I I I I I I I I I I I I
Called it.
rebellionpac.com

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 04:40

SCOTUS is expected to rule on the 3 cases concerning Trumpypoo's financial records next week. This is the last of the major rulings before the election and there's some predictions that they will rule against Trump given the resurgence of Trump and Putin being joined at the hip, once again.
rebellionpac.com

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 04:46

felter wrote:
Thu, 2. Jul 20, 04:14

Do not talk to me, do not quote me, have nothing to do with me, as I have no interest in anything you have to say,
Medicine is supposed to taste bad. I fulfill your every definition of patriot. You tooted my horn and I came. Ok, phrasing there could be better.
Who made that man a gunner?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 08:03

Masterbagger wrote:
No, I'm reasonably certain that any President of any stripe who does the stuff Trump does would be reviled by the left. The real sad thing is that he isn't equally reviled by the right, considering he's an obvious incompetent racist.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 08:54

Masterbagger wrote:
Come on! Trump's strategy against covid is killing tens of thousands people more than the ones who'd die with a proper lockdown. What kind of service is this?
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Thu, 2. Jul 20, 04:22
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Everything used by them to define themselves as a patriot is centered around one thing - me me me me me me me me me I I I I I I I I I I I I
Called it.
GG easy.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 09:48

felter wrote:
Vertigo 7 wrote:
[...]

To me a patriot is a title that is earned through deeds and actions. While also a true patriot would not go around saying that they are a patriot, as that kind of goes against what a true patriot is, as a true patriot is not interested in the title as to them it is their deeds and actions that count. It's their love and devotion to their country, where the country comes before everything else which may even be their own life or the lives and livelihood of their family. It's a title that should be used sparingly, as not many are willing to make that sacrifice. [...]
Honestly that sounds a lot more like a nationalist than a patriot. If you put your country before the people who live in it, even before your own family, than what are you even fighting for? Just a bunch of symbols and words empty of all meaning.

I will never put the flag of any one country above my family, call me a coward or unpatriotic for it, but I think that if you can disregard the live of the people closest to you, than disregarding other human life becomes easy. And when that happens you quickly find yourself fighting for the wrong side. Suddenly you can justify slaughtering innocents in the name of patriotism. Suddenly it becomes easy to see anyone who is not a patriot from your point of view as an enemy. Suddenly that flag you once loved as a symbol of freedom has turned into a symbol of oppression and you are the oppressor.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 11:52

Masterbagger wrote:
I served and hatred for me is everywhere. Trump is serving now and hatred for him is everywhere.
Deservedly so, you blindly support an incompetent dumbass who's doing nothing but throw around playground insults, alienate his international allies to the point where they mock him and your country, plunge the country and thus the world into a longer economic recession due his utter incompetence in handling the corona-virus that btw is killing WAY more Americans than it should but suddenly that doesn't matter, guess life isn't that sacred, you put high praise on symbols that represent the wish for slavery while in support of a man who does one racist thing after another. You're in support of a man whose supporter run around in t-shirts that say "Make Liberals cry again" but when they do you get all offended and uppety. You're getting what you deserve.
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

Return to “Off Topic English”