Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 15:30

@ Bishop149

At least it hasn't quite gotten to the point where he's using these gems:
Matthew 22:21 Jesus said "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's."
Romans 13:1 "Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God and those which exist are established by God."
Believe me, before November someone will drag either one of them out. :shock:
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 16:04

yikes..!!:o
- reckon we seriously need some context here..

- calling Mr U on the underground radio.. :roll:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 16:19

@ BugMeister

Sorry, but the US Secretary of State started it with his bully pulpit pontifications about the correctness of interning children forcibly seperated from their partent/parents. Which is policy that so far should have no legal standing, but the Attorney General's own policy that US constitutional protections do not apply to illegal aliens which will soon be tested in several courts. Session resorting to verse was a call out to Trump's base to rally around the policy. A tactic I'm sorry to say we'll be seeing more and more of. So there is some context.
MIND THE GAP

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 16:57

- It's me who should be sorry, I was being cheeky..:roll:

- Mr U is much more scholarly than I, when it comes to Biblical studies..
- just thought he might provide some insight into those quotations..
- the Bible is so much more than mere words..

- guess it just annoys me to see such matters getting bent out of shape.. :)
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 17:07

BugMeister noted and I quoted:
the Bible is so much more than mere words.
So it is. However what does it become when someone like....
(I cridge here because I too got tagged with Jefferson too)
Jeff Sessions thumps it to makes out like God is on his side?

Something in my midwestern methodist upbringing
makes me :evil: and think :twisted:
MIND THE GAP

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 17:26

- quite.. :idea:

- and aside from interpretation, there is historical context to consider..

PS: I have no regard at all for Mr Sessions - none whatsoever.. :wink:

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 18:39

Manafort jailed for breaching bail conditions.

Another one who looks like they don't believe that the law applies to them too.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 18:55

RegisterMe rightly noted:
Another one who looks like they don't believe that the law applies to them too.
I was wondering when something like that would happen.
Manafort's getting the message from his boss out to those
who could testify and now Trump can pardon him and cover so many bases in one pass.

Obvious obstructuon of justice, but Giuliani is setting his boss up
as immune... IMMUNE... from any laws (Only possibly short of murder and treason) then why not put Manafort out there as
the sterling example. And if Trump does toss him the "Get out of jail free" card then it's Job Done.

Newsflash! Here it is and just happened on "Fox and Friends" this morning:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/exc ... 24363.html

(At least he's FINALLY said something honest.)
(This is an edit since first report I heard attributed Trump talking about Putin, not Kim.)

The Coda:
Heil our Great Leader Supreme Marshall Trump. :P
Last edited by Hank001 on Fri, 15. Jun 18, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
MIND THE GAP

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 19:15

8. Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

All hail FOX News for telling the truth for a change.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sat, 16. Jun 18, 04:14

Bugmeister calls. And Usenko shall answer. ;)

The context of the Slavery passage is pretty simple - it was written in an era where slavery was not merely accepted, it was assumed as part of life. The Jews were actually progressive in that they refused to permanently enslave people of their own nation and required that slaves be treated as humans rather than as mere chattels.

Meanwhile the Christian Church went through a shift in the reign of Constantine that no-one could have predicted, at least from a human perspective - it went from being a religion practiced by women, slaves and outcasts[1] to being the dominant religion of the Roman Empire. For us, Christianity has never stopped being a dominant religion (if not THE dominant religion - for many of us [even agnostics or atheists] non-Christian religions are generally seen through a Christian view). But at the time the New Testament was written, this was very much not the case; Paul was writing to people who were on the bottom of the social pyramid and who knew it, and who had no ability to change that fact.

In that context, there was no point in declaring freedom for slaves; the members of the Church were not in a position to create that kind of socio-political change even if it were to occur to someone[2]. In fact a very large number of the early Christians were themselves slaves. So Paul is writing to someone whose choices are limited. The only way such a person can influence others is by being a slave with a grateful and strong heart; they are therefore told to imagine that their earthly master was the master they acknowledge.

As for "Render to Caesar" - this is Jesus' response to people trying to trap him into declaring rebellion, so the actual message of that verse is "Political authority on Earth is profoundly uninteresting to me, let people who are into that sort of stuff worry about it. Meanwhile, we're talking about God here."

Does this help?

And Bishop149: Your exegesis of Isaiah 10 is spot on. ;)

[1] Yes, there were a few movers and shakers amongst them, but very few.

[2] It should be noted that the early abolitionist movement was primarily championed by Christians; at first the Quakers (who were seen as odd-bods by most other Christians) but increasingly by the protestants in England. All of these justified their opposition for slavery from Scripture, teaching that whilst early Christians accepted slavery as the reality in their world, the ideal of scripture would ultimately deny the legitimacy of slavery.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 16. Jun 18, 12:26

I'm sometimes astounded at just how stupid Donald Trump thinks people are! The report comes out saying everything EXCEPT what he's raving about it saying. His mantra of "No Collusion" is wearing thin. I've heard his tactic is now called D3. Divert, Distract & Deny and it appears he'll use any venue to trot D3 out even if it makes little or no sense. If and when he makes any direct statements that backfire the Whitehouse puts out a statement saying he didn't say what he said. I'm waiting for him to hold up the newest Marvel comic book, point at it and say, "See? The Avengers say no obstruction of justice, no collusion!" :roll:

It's as if he can magically create some alternate reality just by reciting his incantation: "No Collusion".

Through the smoke screen, one thing shines forth.
That is the fact that if almost everything of substance he says is either a bald faced lie, an alternate fact or and unsubstantiated myth then what does that say about "No Collusion" when by his own actions we've seen him obstruct justice at every turn and he touts "No Obstruction" just as hard?
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 16. Jun 18, 15:29

Sessions introduced his biblical passage with a smirk and a conspiratorial glance aside as he began his justification of a practice that is, at best, unethical, and at worse, immoral...

I was out and about yesterday, taking care of some errands, and had the opportunity to spend some time with other people. Not like you guys aren't other people, but these were "real" other people... ;)

There was an undercurrent of uncertainty and not a little bit of angst. This region has a good deal of religiosity, with many religious people, lots of retired, religious, Southern folks, hard-working people with "old school" values, etc. In short, a lot of people that might be counted in Trump's "base" at least if one is just looking at the demographics.

They were not receptive to Session's "message." They didn't like it. They seemed apprehensive, unsure of whatever support they may have had, originally. And, keep this in mind - I didn't talk about politics and I was never the one to bring it up. In the several casual conversations I had, people seemed to be just itching to talk to someone about Trump, someone they didn't know, someone they hadn't yet talked to. Weird.

One gentleman offered up something very interesting: "I voted for Trump because, you know, I didn't want to vote for Hillary. And, I felt it was the first time someone I voted for actually tried to do what they said they were going to do. But, I didn't think he was going to try to keep his promises like... this."

He, as well as some others, wanted the "action" of fulfilling campaign promises, but are unsure and apprehensive about the methods used to do that.

PS - I'm very open and socially interactive when I'm out and about and I happened to end up spending hours just sitting around in several places, as I waited on the shop to finish some car repairs. (Took over seven hours... so I walked around a LOT. :) )

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 16. Jun 18, 15:40

So now he's taken credit for North America (yeah, that includes Mexico and Canada lol) winning the World Cup for 2026 :roll: .
I can't breathe.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 16. Jun 18, 16:29

Disclaimer: The following is a sports joke.

Then did Trump happen to mention how much it cost him? :P

( Go Iceland! )
MIND THE GAP

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 16. Jun 18, 17:35

RegisterMe wrote:So now he's taken credit for North America (yeah, that includes Mexico and Canada lol) winning the World Cup for 2026 :roll: .
It'll be the best ever, the greatest, it'll be so great... because the US knows how to host and they're the best hosts, no-one can host like us.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 16. Jun 18, 17:46

FYI, the match distribution will be something like 60 matches in the US and 10 in Canada, 10 in Mexico.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 16. Jun 18, 18:46

Chips mimicked nicely:
It'll be the best ever, the greatest, it'll be so great... because the US knows how to host and they're the best hosts, no-one can host like us.
(Then he'd turn to an aide and ask: "What's soccer?") :D
MIND THE GAP

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 11:11

Mightysword wrote:FYI, the match distribution will be something like 60 matches in the US and 10 in Canada, 10 in Mexico.
Soooo, you mean Trump was right to pound his chest? :lol:
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 12:55

I can't breathe.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 14:21

RegisterMe wrote:Worth a read - Bloomberg opinion piece on the New York lawsuit.
Wow
A man claiming to be worth billions of dollars -- and who certainly flaunted the lifestyle -- appears to have illegally diverted $7 from a charitable foundation to pay his son’s Boy Scouts registration fee.
I'm not surprised Mueller is taking a while, the sheer amount of illegality combined with what I'm sure is an absolute orgy of evidence must be taking an age to sort out.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Return to “Off Topic English”