Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 00:17

I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 06:55

the Commonwealth Club lecture by David Cay Johnston:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSTKcGieq6E

- the awful truth about the Orange Gorilla.. :o :o :o

David Frum: Trumpocracy & The State of Western Democracy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tJTMPlp_IA

- get up, stand up - don't give up the fight.. :wink:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 10:21

To quote the presenter "that's cheery".

Well, At least he's not running our country.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 15:46

clakclak wrote:...All I am saying is that it is not unheard of for the US military to have a parade.
We haven't had a Federal "Military Pass in Review" since after WWI, I think.

"Veteran's Day" parades and the like are more local affairs. Even if "Federal", they're not about showing off our military might, they're about honoring Veterans. The only guns you'll see there are with the flag-bearers or with one of the service's Drill Teams that's entertaining the spectators with their stunts.

We don't do those pass-in-review goose-stepping sorts of military parades. It's not something that we... do. It's just not "American." We don't do them because we don't have to do them. Certain other countries do them in order to display their "military might" and give their people an impression of strength and pride-through-arms. We've never done that and certainly have never glorified the pure military in a yearly "parade."

Why in the F does he want a full Roman Triumph? Is he going to "Cross the Rubicon" if he doesn't get one? WHY IN THE F IS ANYONE IN THE PENTAGON EVEN THINKING ABOUT HELPING TO PLAN SUCH A THING?

We don't do this sort of thing. We DON'T. It's not what we're about. That sort of self-serving display of power and open militaristic bragadocio isn't what we do. We don't have to. We have ships on every sea, soldiers watching, waiting, and acting in every major theatre on the planet, aircraft in every sky, boats at every depth, satellites in space and can freakin' "store everything on teh interwebz, evar." WTF DO WE NEED TO HAVE TANKS ROLLING DOWN THE FREAKIN' STREET FOR?

There are a great many veterans and service-members who are really pissed off about this. This isn't what the United States is supposed to be about. I know there will be plenty of shots across my bow with posters pointing out, tongue-in-cheek (or not), that we're already "passing in review" in plenty of countries that aren't our own... But, we're not there as conquerors and we are certainly not a nation built by a military, but one that is supposed to built on something stronger - An idea.

As a proud American, I'm insulted and dismayed that a President would suggest such a thing. It's just not right.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 16:25

Eh tbh, maybe over time you may start associating some pretty and wordy ideal to the reason why we don't have Military Parade, I think it stems from a much more simple reason: practicality.

The US is huge, with very spread out population. Even if we have no idealism base reason for not having Military Parade, the question still comes down to "where to have one if we decide to do one". While Washington is the seat of the government, it's hardly the most important place in other sense, it doesn't have the population/business concentration or even centrality. Not in the same sense as say ... Moscow to Russia or Beijing to China (the other 2 large countries).

And if not Washington, then where. The US is also a "real federal" (as oppose to just in name like Russia) with each State feels strongly independent with a high sense of pride. You can't really pick one over another. The last issue comes with the fact that the US is about the only country that has a Navy as a significant part of the military instead of just a small token force. Sure, the Marine can send in the Blue Angel but a land parade will miss out some pretty iconic symbol of the US military. Unless you hold one at say ... the San Francisco bay and have a couple carriers sail down the Gold Bridge channel. But then again, if we hold a parade in California ... I doubt Texas gonna sit there and just watch. ;)

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 17:31

Morkonan wrote:
clakclak wrote:...All I am saying is that it is not unheard of for the US military to have a parade.
We haven't had a Federal "Military Pass in Review" since after WWI, I think.

"Veteran's Day" parades and the like are more local affairs. Even if "Federal", they're not about showing off our military might, they're about honoring Veterans. The only guns you'll see there are with the flag-bearers or with one of the service's Drill Teams that's entertaining the spectators with their stunts.

We don't do those pass-in-review goose-stepping sorts of military parades. It's not something that we... do. It's just not "American." We don't do them because we don't have to do them. Certain other countries do them in order to display their "military might" and give their people an impression of strength and pride-through-arms. We've never done that and certainly have never glorified the pure military in a yearly "parade."

Why in the F does he want a full Roman Triumph? Is he going to "Cross the Rubicon" if he doesn't get one? WHY IN THE F IS ANYONE IN THE PENTAGON EVEN THINKING ABOUT HELPING TO PLAN SUCH A THING?

We don't do this sort of thing. We DON'T. It's not what we're about. That sort of self-serving display of power and open militaristic bragadocio isn't what we do. We don't have to. We have ships on every sea, soldiers watching, waiting, and acting in every major theatre on the planet, aircraft in every sky, boats at every depth, satellites in space and can freakin' "store everything on teh interwebz, evar." WTF DO WE NEED TO HAVE TANKS ROLLING DOWN THE FREAKIN' STREET FOR?

There are a great many veterans and service-members who are really pissed off about this. This isn't what the United States is supposed to be about. I know there will be plenty of shots across my bow with posters pointing out, tongue-in-cheek (or not), that we're already "passing in review" in plenty of countries that aren't our own... But, we're not there as conquerors and we are certainly not a nation built by a military, but one that is supposed to built on something stronger - An idea.

As a proud American, I'm insulted and dismayed that a President would suggest such a thing. It's just not right.
Be honest. You are just angry because you know that a US military parade could never rival the beauty of malnourished North Korean soldiers twirling their swords around. :P
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 17:50

RegisterMe wrote:Roger Waters?

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRWRRBX3TB0
Yeah, it was because I was listening to an interview about the parade and it finished with the interviewee saying, what Trump wants, Trump gets, so I just had to post the words to the song. I actually started to change some of the wants then I realised that the words of a 30 something year old song rang true to Trump today, so I changed them back.

My reasoning why he wants the parade, it is all to do with his own ego and him wanting it stroked. After last week where the Democrats just sat and looked at him stony face and did not applaud him and his so called achievements you know the ones he called traitors. It hurt him and he just has to get back at them. He wants a parade so that all those soldiers march past a podium that he will be on, they will all look up and salute him, and he will say, you see now that is respect, that is what you should be showing towards me, I am the greatest president ever, no other President in history has ever had such respect shown towards him from the military.

There could also be another reasoning, one that people will not want to know about. So far he has been following a dictators handbook, from how he campaigned for, what he is calling for, right down to make America great again. He has attacked the freedom of the press, he has even gone after his own intelligence agencies, to a point that he is making out that everything that is said about him is a lie, and that the agencies are all crooked and you can't believe anything they say against him, as they have just concocted the allegations. He has tried to put people that he trusts into positions where they could stop these sort of allegations and the ones that are in charge of them he has asked for their support and are part of his team. Now we have the parade this is to show off the military might that he has control of and that they have his back. It is a warning to anyone who may oppose him.

As I said, he is using a dictators handbook on how to take control of a country, all of the tactics are there to been seen. I said it when he was running for office, I said it after he won the election, and I'm still saying it. Everything he does has been done before and he is getting away with it. I hate to say it but it is nearly 100% identical in so many ways, as the way the greatest dictator of all time took over Germany, nearly 100 years ago.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 18:21

Morkonan wrote:It's not something that we... do. It's just not "American."
I like it. Well said.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 19:45

I'd imagine it wouldn't be easy driving one of those aircraft carriers down the high street either. :P

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 20:17

brucewarren wrote:I'd imagine it wouldn't be easy driving one of those aircraft carriers down the high street either. :P
And the queues behind one would be huge!! plus can't be overtaken.
=

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 20:58

clakclak wrote:
Nanook wrote:
clakclak wrote:
mrbadger wrote:And now he wants military parades too. Interesting...
To be fair that doesn't seem to unusual. The US has military parades every now and than.
The only military parades i've been aware of are those confined to military bases, and for the benefit of comanders/generals coming and going. The only times I know of the military being in parades outside of their bases is when some units participate in generally civilian parades. And I live in a community with two nearby large military bases. :P
What about armed forces day parades. And memorial day parades. And vetrans day parades....
Where I live, none of those are strictly military parades. They're celebrated by the whole community with all types of entrants. And very, very little hardware. Nothing at all like what the Orange One wants. :P

And I don't care what other countries do. :roll:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 22:06

He seems to want to stand and be saluted while trucks with big pointy missiles on missiles and big tanks drive past him. Basically like Russia, China and North Korea. But those countries have a tradition of such displays, and more importantly, roads built to cope with them. Does Washington?

I rather doubt it.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 22:42

Mightysword wrote: The US is huge, with very spread out population. Even if we have no idealism base reason for not having Military Parade, the question still comes down to "where to have one if we decide to do one".
That didn't stop them having huge military parades in the USSR, you realise, and that was even more wide-spread than the USA is?

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 23:06

clakclak wrote:Be honest. You are just angry because you know that a US military parade could never rival the beauty of malnourished North Korean soldiers twirling their swords around. :P
- don't speak too soon
- there have been two 1000+ point drops in the US Dow Jones, this week alone.. :o :o :o

- a military show is usually a pre-cursor to yet more sabre-rattling..
- and the maniac Trump is itching for a show of strength..
- dangerous times.. :o :o :o
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 00:35

SO the American market tumbles again, has trump even mentioned the first one earlier this week, and has he took responsibility for it like he so eagerly does when things are going smooth.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 00:39

Nanook wrote:
clakclak wrote:
Nanook wrote:
clakclak wrote:
mrbadger wrote:And now he wants military parades too. Interesting...
To be fair that doesn't seem to unusual. The US has military parades every now and than.
The only military parades i've been aware of are those confined to military bases, and for the benefit of comanders/generals coming and going. The only times I know of the military being in parades outside of their bases is when some units participate in generally civilian parades. And I live in a community with two nearby large military bases. :P
What about armed forces day parades. And memorial day parades. And vetrans day parades....
Where I live, none of those are strictly military parades. They're celebrated by the whole community with all types of entrants. And very, very little hardware. Nothing at all like what the Orange One wants. :P

And I don't care what other countries do. :roll:
That is suprising, Do you have other other armed forces besides your military? I mean the France do have the Gendarmerie, does the US also have a similar group?
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 00:55

On the general subject, as an outsider, it's horrific to see what this man is doing - and mindboggling. Here you have a man respresenting a country, yet he stands for none of that countries traditional values, in fact, he stands for the opposite. He is in it for himself, he is a narcissist, he is a nationalist not a patriot, he is insular not broad-minded.

It is like watching an episode of the twilight zone, and how he can still garner support from anyone other than his base extreme-right after insinuating (note, not DOING or SAYING) so much, is just beyond comprehension.
He uses words in order to corrupt their meaning, he confuses and he gestures - he is so superficial to the point of being vomit-inducing.

It's almost as if an' old-money' mayor from the 18th century is running the show. He says hes 'one of' the poor people and represents them, yet gives tax cuts to the rich and says its for the poor, and they love him and believe him, even though he's a billionaire.... it is so incredible. he is a jingoist and a populist of the lowest order.

He has people under his wing that can say something like "It doesnt matter if its true, the threat is real" and get away with it. He can throw words like treason around willy-nilly and no-one does anything. He can lower himself to the level of 3rd-world dictators and no-one seems to really care, its amazing.
clakclak wrote: That is suprising, Do you have other other armed forces besides your military? I mean the France do have the Gendarmerie, does the US also have a similar group?
I'll bite. The US doesnt need gendarmerie, because their bog-standard police are already militarised (sorry, but its true). They are trained to shoot to kill, they are trained like the military is trained.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 01:23

Axeface wrote:[....]
clakclak wrote: That is suprising, Do you have other other armed forces besides your military? I mean the France do have the Gendarmerie, does the US also have a similar group?
I'll bite. The US doesnt need gendarmerie, because their bog-standard police are already militarised (sorry, but its true). They are trained to shoot to kill, they are trained like the military is trained.

This really wasn't bait. I honestly was just curious.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 02:32

pjknibbs wrote:
Mightysword wrote: The US is huge, with very spread out population. Even if we have no idealism base reason for not having Military Parade, the question still comes down to "where to have one if we decide to do one".
That didn't stop them having huge military parades in the USSR, you realise, and that was even more wide-spread than the USA is?
That's why you should have quoted the rest of the post. The USSR may be considered a Federation, even Russia today calling itself a Federation. But those are, IMO, only in name, the power is still very centralized in Moscow. The US system distribute the power and influence much more evenly. A Parade in Beijing or Moscow will carry some symbolic meaning for the country and its population. One that happens in Washington I don't think gonna carry much meaning, aside from the statement "hey look at my Johny and it's big!" :wink:

Not to mention, the Governors of most states probably gonna get really pissed if the Federal Government decide to have one at the capital. :)

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 03:12

clakclak wrote:
That is suprising, Do you have other other armed forces besides your military? I mean the France do have the Gendarmerie, does the US also have a similar group?
Our citizens.
Who made that man a gunner?

Return to “Off Topic English”