Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 00:39

Nanook wrote:
clakclak wrote:
Nanook wrote:
clakclak wrote:
mrbadger wrote:And now he wants military parades too. Interesting...
To be fair that doesn't seem to unusual. The US has military parades every now and than.
The only military parades i've been aware of are those confined to military bases, and for the benefit of comanders/generals coming and going. The only times I know of the military being in parades outside of their bases is when some units participate in generally civilian parades. And I live in a community with two nearby large military bases. :P
What about armed forces day parades. And memorial day parades. And vetrans day parades....
Where I live, none of those are strictly military parades. They're celebrated by the whole community with all types of entrants. And very, very little hardware. Nothing at all like what the Orange One wants. :P

And I don't care what other countries do. :roll:
That is suprising, Do you have other other armed forces besides your military? I mean the France do have the Gendarmerie, does the US also have a similar group?
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 00:55

On the general subject, as an outsider, it's horrific to see what this man is doing - and mindboggling. Here you have a man respresenting a country, yet he stands for none of that countries traditional values, in fact, he stands for the opposite. He is in it for himself, he is a narcissist, he is a nationalist not a patriot, he is insular not broad-minded.

It is like watching an episode of the twilight zone, and how he can still garner support from anyone other than his base extreme-right after insinuating (note, not DOING or SAYING) so much, is just beyond comprehension.
He uses words in order to corrupt their meaning, he confuses and he gestures - he is so superficial to the point of being vomit-inducing.

It's almost as if an' old-money' mayor from the 18th century is running the show. He says hes 'one of' the poor people and represents them, yet gives tax cuts to the rich and says its for the poor, and they love him and believe him, even though he's a billionaire.... it is so incredible. he is a jingoist and a populist of the lowest order.

He has people under his wing that can say something like "It doesnt matter if its true, the threat is real" and get away with it. He can throw words like treason around willy-nilly and no-one does anything. He can lower himself to the level of 3rd-world dictators and no-one seems to really care, its amazing.
clakclak wrote: That is suprising, Do you have other other armed forces besides your military? I mean the France do have the Gendarmerie, does the US also have a similar group?
I'll bite. The US doesnt need gendarmerie, because their bog-standard police are already militarised (sorry, but its true). They are trained to shoot to kill, they are trained like the military is trained.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 01:23

Axeface wrote:[....]
clakclak wrote: That is suprising, Do you have other other armed forces besides your military? I mean the France do have the Gendarmerie, does the US also have a similar group?
I'll bite. The US doesnt need gendarmerie, because their bog-standard police are already militarised (sorry, but its true). They are trained to shoot to kill, they are trained like the military is trained.

This really wasn't bait. I honestly was just curious.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 02:32

pjknibbs wrote:
Mightysword wrote: The US is huge, with very spread out population. Even if we have no idealism base reason for not having Military Parade, the question still comes down to "where to have one if we decide to do one".
That didn't stop them having huge military parades in the USSR, you realise, and that was even more wide-spread than the USA is?
That's why you should have quoted the rest of the post. The USSR may be considered a Federation, even Russia today calling itself a Federation. But those are, IMO, only in name, the power is still very centralized in Moscow. The US system distribute the power and influence much more evenly. A Parade in Beijing or Moscow will carry some symbolic meaning for the country and its population. One that happens in Washington I don't think gonna carry much meaning, aside from the statement "hey look at my Johny and it's big!" :wink:

Not to mention, the Governors of most states probably gonna get really pissed if the Federal Government decide to have one at the capital. :)

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 03:12

clakclak wrote:
That is suprising, Do you have other other armed forces besides your military? I mean the France do have the Gendarmerie, does the US also have a similar group?
Our citizens.
Who made that man a gunner?

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 03:25

Masterbagger wrote:
clakclak wrote:
Our citizens.
Lol, amazing.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 07:02

Axeface wrote:
Masterbagger wrote:
clakclak wrote:
Our citizens.
Lol, amazing.
Is true, you only have to look at the monthly 'death by gun' count to see that. They are after all always saying it isn't the guns doing the killing.....

:roll:
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 09:20

Masterbagger wrote:
clakclak wrote:
Our citizens.
:lol:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 12:36

Mightysword wrote:Eh tbh, maybe over time you may start associating some pretty and wordy ideal to the reason why we don't have Military Parade, I think it stems from a much more simple reason: practicality....Washington is the seat of the government, it's hardly the most important place in other sense, it doesn't have the population/business concentration or even centrality. Not in the same sense as say ... Moscow to Russia or Beijing to China (the other 2 large countries).

And if not Washington, then where. The US is also a "real federal" (as oppose to just in name like Russia) with each State feels strongly independent with a high sense of pride. You can't really pick one over another. ...California ... I doubt Texas gonna sit there and just watch. ;)
The military is a Federal branch of the government. The States have nothing to do with it. Washington DC is not a State for exactly the reasons that you wrote - No one State should have preeminence over another. "Logistics" of such a parade is a non-issue as far as having units to represent various military branches and specialties. Ships don't participate in "parades" - Their wheels are too big. (That's why they float - Wheels!) Instead, if the Navy wanted to show off, there are any number of military ports on the East Coast, near Washington DC.

But, the whole point of the matter is this - We're not like that. We don't glorify "The Military", we honor "Veterans." We don't march around with guns because that's exactly what we're supposed to be opposed to. Other nations can do as they like, but the US should never have such parades of military force, especially presided over a "President." The imagery is just too terrible to think about.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 17:00

The USA armed forces is in a constant parade, from sports events, to local government inaugurations all the way up to the presidency, in all kinds of festive, education and social celebrations, to the more military ones like, veterans, 4th of July, arriving or leaving for operations and a long etc.

I do not see the issue with military parades, actually I enjoy watching them, mostly for the hardware on show.

Regarding the USA stock market sell off, the reason for it is because of the good economic data so far.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 18:01

- now if you're talking military shows..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aetZLFg5t1k

- a brilliant show, put on every year.. :D :thumb_up:

The Black Watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2gDkcpYnMc

Scots Black Watch Homecoming Parade Dundee Scotland April 20th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaNw28dSajo

- what an amazing sight..
- right on..

:D :D
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 20:22

So let me get this right, some of you think what trump wants is something along the lines of a couple of hundred soldiers marching past the white house with a couple of tanks and a npc carrier in tow.

While I think what he is after is 10 thousand plus troops from all lines of the military, he probably wants it nearer 100 thousand though. Throw in several hundred tanks, dozens and dozens of APC's, mobile rocket launchers by the score, numerous trucks pulling every kind of nuclear capable ICBM. Artillery from the small to the extremely large. A flyover using every type of Military craft the US has in it arsenal, and not just one or two of each plane but multiples of each plane. I wouldn't be even surprised if he expected the ones we don't even know exist, to be shown off.

And we are thinking and comparing it to half time at a football match, or the black watch returning to base.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 20:24

- you got it, felt
- in a nutshell
- the lunatic Trump just wants to show off bigly..

- what next, an aircraft carrier on the White House lawn..?? :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 10. Feb 18, 02:18

Santi wrote:Regarding the USA stock market sell off, the reason for it is because of the good economic data so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUSaO07ThmY

(Felter will like that).

EDIT: I do too, I bought Radio Chaos and Amused to Death more than twenty years ago :).
EDIT 2: Those two albums really are so astonishingly brilliant. Thank you (I think, because I am now going to listen to them back to back helped along by alcohol) for remembering them to me, but we should take it to the music thread. Your call :).
EDIT 3:"The Ballard of Bill Hubbard". I'm not clear on this, but what I am clear on is that the old chap voicing over the first track was a WWI survivor. He's probably (must have?) passed now :(. I hope he had friends, family, love, respect and honour around him....
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 10. Feb 18, 03:56

I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 10. Feb 18, 04:28

Your talking about Alf Razzel, AKA Raz. You can see him and hear him talk about the Somme and the story of Bill Hubbard from a 1991 documentary A game of Ghosts. I started the video at a part where Raz is talking but I recommend watching it from the start. It's a very sad program but war and death should be like that. He was 90 when that film was made, don't know when he passed but I seem to have a recollection of hearing about it when he did, just can't remember when.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sat, 10. Feb 18, 10:29

excellent panel discussion chaired by Bill Maher:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw0KN4V0N0s

- there is much wisdom here.. :)

one can imagine Trump standing in the dock, grinning luridly, waving his arms, claiming that he does not recognise the authority of the court..
not as ignominious an end as say, Gadafi or Sadaam - but an end nonetheless..

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 10. Feb 18, 20:42

BugMeister wrote:excellent panel discussion chaired by Bill Maher:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw0KN4V0N0s

- there is much wisdom here.. :)...
Chaired by Bill Maher and there's... wisdom there? No darn way.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sat, 10. Feb 18, 22:06

RegisterMe wrote:
Santi wrote:Regarding the USA stock market sell off, the reason for it is because of the good economic data so far.
Consensus seems to be "A selloff in U.S. stocks earlier this week was in large part sparked by the Feb. 2 monthly U.S. employment report which showed the largest year-on-year increase in average hourly earnings since June 2009."

Worth reading for more information

Quite relevant as well is the extra funding of 300k million dollars approved by Congress, mainly because legislatives elections are coming up, so both parties want to make voters happy.

300k million dollars, defence will get 165000 millions, infrastructures 20000 millions, fight against opioids addictions 6000 millions, children health care 5800 millions, veterans 4000 millions. And another 90000 millions for the natural disasters of Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 12. Feb 18, 06:32

Santi wrote:
RegisterMe wrote:
Consensus seems to be "A selloff in U.S. stocks earlier this week was in large part sparked by the Feb. 2 monthly U.S. employment report which showed the largest year-on-year increase in average hourly earnings since June 2009."
Inflation is a concern. But, the more radical shifts are due to worries that the market is simply "Too High" and is just itching for a correction. Sell-offs and quick buy-backs are people trying to beat "The Correction" and people trying to do as they always do - Make money through buying low and selling high.

Fortunes aren't made on the rise, they're made on the fall... We'll probably have several episodes of this as the market tries to figure out when it's going to correct.

Return to “Off Topic English”