Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 16:12

So he has blamed everyone for the school shooting, he has blamed the Democrats, he has blamed history, now he is currently blaming the FBI saying they are spending too much time investigating him. Does he actually believe that is all the FBI are doing is investigating him. Is it really surprising that he has taken a shocking event and made it all about Trump and his problems, that it is not fair on him.

At least the FBI have raised their hands and admitted the messed up, which is more than can be said about Trump. I noticed he hasn'r mentioned anything about him putting a stop to the bill to introduce a legal requirement set on stopping mentally ill people from getting firearms. He is also spending so much time blaming others he has conveniently forgot to mention what he is going to do to stop these senseless shootings from happening.

Someone also needs to tell him he has been in office for a year now, so anything bad that happens now falls squarely at his feet, that the buck stops at him and no one else, he has to take responsibility for the bad not just the good.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 16:37

(Sigh) It's gotten somewhat to the point where if you passed a law to keep guns from the mentally ill you would be figuratively shooting his "core supporters" in the foot.
I wish that was a joke. It wasn't.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 16:49

felter wrote:Is it really surprising that he has taken a shocking event and made it all about Trump and his problems, that it is not fair on him.
He does that EVERYTIME something happens, EVERYTHING gets turned around in an attempt to make him look good and everyone else look incompetant. The man is a maniac.

And, related to the OP not that specific quote. I saw this the other day - its in spanish but you get the gist
https://scontent.fmvd2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5B4E33CB

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 17:09

There are arguments at my University's medical school here about which group of personality disorders Trump is displaying. It's gotten quite heated. When a student complained about a lecture one professor was given a caution. She'd said, which leader does this diagnosis describe and outlined the symptoms then asked for the class' response. "Trump!" they said. The professor cited the credentials of the doctor the date 1937, the city of practice, Berlin and the person diagnosed. Adolf Hitler. The doctor was arrested by the Gestapo for practicing proscribed "psychoanalysis". Fate after arrest unknown.

(True story)
MIND THE GAP

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 18:16

Hank001 wrote:There are arguments at my University's medical school here about which group of personality disorders Trump is displaying. It's gotten quite heated. When a student complained about a lecture one professor was given a caution. She'd said, which leader does this diagnosis describe and outlined the symptoms then asked for the class' response. "Trump!" they said. The professor cited the credentials of the doctor the date 1937, the city of practice, Berlin and the person diagnosed. Adolf Hitler. The doctor was arrested by the Gestapo for practicing proscribed "psychoanalysis". Fate after arrest unknown.

(True story)
I really utterly dislike it when people compare Trump to Hitler. Hitler was a man who caused a war that killed millions of people. He set about to systematically exterminate an entire group of people and anyone else who stood against him. Trump is not like Hitler. It trivialise Hitlers crimes.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 18:34

Granted and you have a point. However this point being personality disorders. Even in my Jr. College days in Psych 101, fame and the spotlight are stressors and triggers and what develops in in these cases is more at the whim of circumstances the individuals are put in. That Trump has issues was the point. The professor here stacked the deck and did not cite the symptoms that they did not share, that much I know. I could cite the diagnosis, past the obvious glaring solipsism involved, but I'm not qualified. See wikipedia under personality disorders or the DSM-5.
MIND THE GAP

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 21:37

clakclak wrote:
Hank001 wrote:There are arguments at my University's medical school here about which group of personality disorders Trump is displaying. It's gotten quite heated. When a student complained about a lecture one professor was given a caution. She'd said, which leader does this diagnosis describe and outlined the symptoms then asked for the class' response. "Trump!" they said. The professor cited the credentials of the doctor the date 1937, the city of practice, Berlin and the person diagnosed. Adolf Hitler. The doctor was arrested by the Gestapo for practicing proscribed "psychoanalysis". Fate after arrest unknown.

(True story)
I really utterly dislike it when people compare Trump to Hitler. Hitler was a man who caused a war that killed millions of people. He set about to systematically exterminate an entire group of people and anyone else who stood against him. Trump is not like Hitler. It trivialise Hitlers crimes.
It was several years after Hitler came to power that he began WW2 or started to kill the Jews and others. He didn't just start the killing from day one, but everything he did leading up to that day is exactly being replayed out by Trump. This is why he is being compared to him, it is not to trivialise Hitler but to warn others what to expect if Trump is allowed to carry on the way he is going.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 21:50

I'm glad you got the point his is summed up here in two very true axioms:

Past is prologue.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Though it disturbs me greatly that I might be reliving the Weimar. Perhaps the Capitol building mayhap catch fire next?
MIND THE GAP

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Mon, 19. Feb 18, 05:51

Thankfully, the US seems to not have such legislative loopholes as the Weimar Republic did. So even if it were the same person coming into power, I very much doubt history would repeat itself here. Some of the parallels are uncanny though.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 19. Feb 18, 06:06

History never really pans out as "repeating itself". Too many random occurrences make up the outcome. However when enough do to draw parallels as I did vice Us/Weimar THEN is the time people with a bit of perspective should try and keep things in check. However the grand parallel in this case is minority groups of reactionary elements now holding power simply because the majority groups are diametrically opposed and and very close to equal numbers and managed to elect a leader who panders to that minorities extreme views. And seems to care not one bit what the will of the people themselves is or is not. Where that will lead?
That as Hamlet said; "Is the question."
MIND THE GAP

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 19. Feb 18, 10:28

One thing is to compare both personalities and their similarities, another is to assume the outcome is only related to that one person. The complexity of the situation at that particular time is higher than most people will (want to) acknowledge. One thing Hitler clearly had in his favour was his ability to speak and rally people to a cause and not just racists and biggots. Also the fact that the allies stomped hard on a nation, both economically and culturally created the needed environment for a populist to be able to rise.

So yes Trump does share some traits with Hitler, but he lacks both the ability to speak and the support to get anywhere close to this autocratic regime people keep mentioning. Thus imho its a false equivalence.

MFG

Ketraar

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 19. Feb 18, 10:43

Believe me I not laying this solely on Trump! That would be giving him far to much credit! It was the situation our government is in ( was in during the Campaigns is in now) which in essence is two United States of America with two sets of goals and two separate visions that more times than not diametrically oppose. Then an election here the choice appeared to be a matter of a lesser of two evils. No it was a narrow majority that put Trump in office. I'll make clear. It's what's resulted (or as far as legislatively what HASN'T happened) that leads us here.
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 19. Feb 18, 10:56

Diagnosing Trump? There's only one that's applicable - Trump is a Manchild.

(PS - There's no comparison that's applicable with "Hitler." Though Hitler was a monster, he was a terribly effective and terribly brilliant one, easily capable of manipulating events in order to rise to power. Trump puts on his swimmies and paddles around in the shallow end of the pool compared to Hitler.)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 19. Feb 18, 11:04

HEY that's no way to talk about our PRESIDENT!

He's a SPOILED madchild. :wink:
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 19. Feb 18, 11:32

That he is our "President"... Well, that idea just crushes my patriotic spirit.

"Welcome to The United States! We're so glad you came! Over here, you can see where some people finally brought together some philosophical thoughts of the day to come up with the idea that the only legitimate form of government is one that is empowered by the people it must serve, for the greater good. Here's where some really smart and motivated people came together and decided that everyone is truly equal and we should all be afforded the same opportunities of "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness." And, over here, is the longest-running active Constitution of any nation! Here's a great place, too! It's where we ensure that the infallible, inseparable, Rights of an individual are upheld, even against the actions of our own government! Sweet, right? We have figured out that the Tyranny of the Majority in a Democracy can be quelled if we only make sure to protect the basic human rights of the individual in all things!"

Oh, yeah... That's our President over there. Don't pay much attention to him, OK? Look, we were sort of in a bad time and weren't thinking too clearly, alright? Oh, come on, really? Like you've never made a mistake? LOOK, WE'RE SORRY, OK?"

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 19. Feb 18, 11:41

Ouch! I laughed so hard I fell out of the chair. Still laughing.

:rant: 🎼🎶😮😮😮 Hail to the Chief who can't stay off
Twitter. Who though the job was all
Fame and Glitter. ..
MIND THE GAP

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 19. Feb 18, 13:03

felter wrote:
clakclak wrote:

(True story)
It was several years after Hitler came to power that he began WW2 or started to kill the Jews and others. He didn't just start the killing from day one, but everything he did leading up to that day is exactly being replayed out by Trump. This is why he is being compared to him, it is not to trivialise Hitler but to warn others what to expect if Trump is allowed to carry on the way he is going.
No. Hitler had already lead an armed uprising against the government many years prior to getting into power. He had also already released "Mein Kampf", which gave a very good idea what he was all about. The NSDAP was also very direct and vocal about their hate for the jews, to an extend uncomparable to the republican Party. Before the elections Nazis would battle other political parties in the streets and ltry to intimidate voters into voting for them.

Trump is not a second Hitler. He is a moron and potentially a dangerous/racist moron, but he is not on the level of an Adolf Hitler.

Stop downplaying Hitler. What currently happens in the US is not like what happend in the 1930s/1940s in Germany.

Racism, fear and segregation enabled the Nazis to get into power. If you want to learn something from history than remember people about how distructive racism can be, by using Hitler as an example. But don't say that Trump is acting just like Hitler because quite frankly it is laughable.
Last edited by clakclak on Mon, 19. Feb 18, 14:35, edited 2 times in total.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 19. Feb 18, 13:08

Well Sabre Sounds I think I agree he doesn't have the brains.
It's just the potential damage can do with what few marbles he does have in the jar. :wink: :rant:
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 20. Feb 18, 11:43

clakclak wrote:...Stop downplaying Hitler....
^--- This.

There hasn't been anyone like Hitler since Hitler, no matter how many comparisons people have made. Hitler wasn't alone, either, and his path to power was also made possible by a great many issues unique to Germany at the time.

Personally, I think WWII was inevitable. I also think massive social upheaval, even as far as racial persecution, would have been likely as well. But, Hitler and the Nazis cranked up the volume on "What is possible" to eleven... They were at the right place at precisely the right time for what they did. And, they also had the "will" to do it (and to do unthinkable things in order to gain power) where more moderate political/cultural responses to the conditions at the time did not.

In conclusion - Comparing people to "Hitler" only serves to downplay what Hitler was, what he did, what the people surrounding him were capable of and the conditions necessary to give rise to such dangerous opportunities for truly radical responses to cultural pressures. No modern leader has come close to what Hitler did. (Mao Zedong, maybe. In some ways, the "Kim" family of DPRK, but much less ideologically driven than Hitler.)

On Trump, specifically - He's a manchild. He's used to getting his way and only his way. His "world view" is whatever he thinks it is at the time, since all he has ever done is manipulate "the message" using cheap marketing ploys. He associates his bankroll with some sort of internal quality that only he possesses. In reality, whatever success he has had is due, IMO, simply to other people trying to make money by associating with him.

Take a look at pics of Trump's penthouse accommodations at Trump Tower. It looks like a Roman brothel. I don't think that imagery is too far removed from Trump's own self-image, but without the dignity and austerity commanded by actual ancient Roman brothels... :)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 20. Feb 18, 12:26

Morkonan wrote: Take a look at pics of Trump's penthouse accommodations at Trump Tower. It looks like a Roman brothel. I don't think that imagery is too far removed from Trump's own self-image, but without the dignity and austerity commanded by actual ancient Roman brothels... :)
Ooh, does that mean we can look forward to him appointing a horse as a Senator? :wink:

Return to “Off Topic English”