Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

matthewfarmery
x3

Re: Trump

Post by matthewfarmery » Sun, 14. Feb 21, 12:57

I think not convicting Trump could lead America down a very dark path. The senate clearly can't do it's job, and thus weaker then what the founding fathers probably intended. This also sets a very bad precedent for any future presidents. That they can get off the hook if that president bullies and scares senators enough. I think this will really shaken American democracy to its core. A very bad day for America, a very bad day indeed.
=

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 14. Feb 21, 18:59

jlehtone wrote:
Sun, 14. Feb 21, 12:47
Craig Unger's American Kompromat claims that KGB was looking for "useful idiots" back in Cold War and that personalities like Trump's are easy to manipulate.
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sat, 13. Feb 21, 17:43
So of course, some moron with a microphone and a position of power can easily push the lemmings into doing the thing they've always wanted to do, and they'll call it 'patriotic' and 'heroic' all the while not realizing they've been played.
Isn't there a contradiction? How could a moron "play" others? Or, put other way, which is worse: (A) a moron unwittingly ends up pushing lemmings or (B) a smart, sinister person intentionally pushes lemmings?
Not really. Trump is not the same kind of moron that his cult members are. While Trump is certainly a failure at business and fashion and leading the government, he's a proven con artist. The lemmings that follow him have no critical thinking ability and attacking the government was just one of many things they had been aching to do since before Trump. All it took was permission from their leader and bob's your uncle.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 15. Feb 21, 02:07

matthewfarmery wrote:
Sun, 14. Feb 21, 12:57
I think not convicting Trump could lead America down a very dark path. The senate clearly can't do it's job, and thus weaker then what the founding fathers probably intended. This also sets a very bad precedent for any future presidents. That they can get off the hook if that president bullies and scares senators enough. I think this will really shaken American democracy to its core. A very bad day for America, a very bad day indeed.
The time will tell.

Trump is not unique among US presidents, so he isn't the first to not suffer consequences for atrocities.

Plus it's my belief that Americans, not unlike many other people, generally prefer "strong", nationalist, king -like president. And not anything too democratic. Kings usually are above all laws.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 15. Feb 21, 04:25

fiksal wrote:
Mon, 15. Feb 21, 02:07
Plus it's my belief that Americans, not unlike many other people, generally prefer "strong", nationalist, king -like president. And not anything too democratic. Kings usually are above all laws.
Not "kings", but father figures. And let me fix something - " that some Americans...".

And I really don't think most Americans (and I include myself in this category) prefer a leader that's above the law. After all, we did kick out ol' King George a few years back. :P

However, there does seem to be a significant segment of our society that, to paraphrase part of a famous Abe Lincoln quote, "You can fool ... some of the people all the time". Seems we found a good many of those people, wearing red MAGA hats. :roll:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 15. Feb 21, 04:28

^ and I think people want someone just like them, which is why you see the Q nutters winning senate seats because they're essentially saying "Look, I'm just as stupid as you!" so the red hats vote for them in droves. The second they start looking down at the people that put them there, and they will, they're doomed.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 15. Feb 21, 06:03

Nanook wrote:
Mon, 15. Feb 21, 04:25
fiksal wrote:
Mon, 15. Feb 21, 02:07
Not "kings", but father figures. And let me fix something - " that some Americans...".

And I really don't think most Americans (and I include myself in this category) prefer a leader that's above the law. After all, we did kick out ol' King George a few years back. :P

However, there does seem to be a significant segment of our society that, to paraphrase part of a famous Abe Lincoln quote, "You can fool ... some of the people all the time". Seems we found a good many of those people, wearing red MAGA hats. :roll:

It's true, it's never " all ", and it's my mistake for skipping over that word. I thought I had it.

Interesting thought about the father figure. I can see it, somehow the president must be one, and is the one that must be admired.

Not unlike monarchs. Of course the power structure is different but it is my idea, that's what people like. People rarely talk about charismatic parliaments and hard decisions they make. It's usually the president/ prime minister who is the face of the whole nation.

Maga hats are especially onboard with that, considering how far into nationalism they are. And that's what they promote.

I have a little question, experiment, for you - would you like to try to have a system where the Executive branch doesn't have a President but has several people who split the responsibilities and power?

I do indeed remember how Americans treated the monarch. It's a good time. American revolution is probably my second favorite revolution topic after Russian one.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 15. Feb 21, 08:55

I think I understand why Republicans didn't vote against Trump, but I feel they really wanted to... The fact is, there's a significant minority* of Republican voters who do feel Trump is the kinda guy they want to lead the country. - I could see a situation where the GOP could splinter, and their vote could end up split if they'd turned on Trump which, I repeat, is something I am sure they wanted to do. If Trump formed a political cult, umm party, it really could make future elections even harder to win.

But now they have four years to somehow alienate Trump, perhaps see him face a string of criminal prosecutions. - He'll be Biden's age in four years, and I've a feeling he is in for some tough financial struggles too which may just diminish him in the eyes of those who worship the dollar.

It's all supposition, but I do feel the GOP are playing a long game, and I feel they're just a half step behind the more moderate minded in never wanting to see that dreadful man in power again.

*I sure hope it is a minority... :|
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Mon, 15. Feb 21, 10:01

Gavrushka wrote:
Mon, 15. Feb 21, 08:55
I think I understand why Republicans didn't vote against Trump, but I feel they really wanted to... The fact is, there's a significant minority* of Republican voters who do feel Trump is the kinda guy they want to lead the country. - I could see a situation where the GOP could splinter, and their vote could end up split if they'd turned on Trump which, I repeat, is something I am sure they wanted to do. If Trump formed a political cult, umm party, it really could make future elections even harder to win.

But now they have four years to somehow alienate Trump, perhaps see him face a string of criminal prosecutions. - He'll be Biden's age in four years, and I've a feeling he is in for some tough financial struggles too which may just diminish him in the eyes of those who worship the dollar.

It's all supposition, but I do feel the GOP are playing a long game, and I feel they're just a half step behind the more moderate minded in never wanting to see that dreadful man in power again.

*I sure hope it is a minority... :|
That's more like the middle-length game though, isn't it? The long game would be to make sure there's no way (*) another individual like Trump would happen again. And that would involve some shorter-term political pain, yes. But having more parties (that matter in national politics) would be ultimately of benefit to the US, and making sure absolutely no-one is above the law would be another - which, if Trump isn't prosecuted for his part in the Capitol riot, won't be true. And that, I think, no politician (*) is really interested in, because that's not about power.

(*) caveat: "almost", in both cases. In case one, yes, I'm aware, as long as a system has fallible components and/or participants it can fail; in case two, yes, the rare unicorn politician who does care about the long-term wellbeing of their country can exist, it's just not very likely given politics is about amassing power to get to the top.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 15. Feb 21, 11:27

Impeachment failure, the second one, is very bad. Trump is going to look like some sort of wrongly prosecuted man, and that's a point he's insisting a lot in the future (I would, if I was him...). A number of current republican politicians know if Trump falls, they're falling with him (because he's not the kind of man to fall alone). That's why they keep defending him, it's not just because a sizeable share of their voters loves Trump and wants him to be ruling again: that's the easy way to try and win next elections for the Republican party, at least in the eyes of a part of republican establishment. I disagree with them, they can win next election with any candidate, because Biden is not going to be good enough - in the current social and economical situation - to make democrats win again.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 15. Feb 21, 12:16

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 15. Feb 21, 11:27
Impeachment failure, the second one, is very bad.
Correction, conviction may have failed, not the impeachment, minor but important distinction.

MFG

Ketraar

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 15. Feb 21, 12:29

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 15. Feb 21, 11:27
Impeachment failure, the second one, is very bad. Trump is going to look like some sort of wrongly prosecuted man, and that's a point he's insisting a lot in the future (I would, if I was him...). A number of current republican politicians know if Trump falls, they're falling with him (because he's not the kind of man to fall alone). That's why they keep defending him, it's not just because a sizeable share of their voters loves Trump and wants him to be ruling again: that's the easy way to try and win next elections for the Republican party, at least in the eyes of a part of republican establishment. I disagree with them, they can win next election with any candidate, because Biden is not going to be good enough - in the current social and economical situation - to make democrats win again.
You maybe right about that. The big problem is, if Trump does win again, (and not in jail) he going to do untold damage to the US, if the pandemic is still with us then (more then likely) Trump will end up destroying whatever Biden gets through. And turning the US yet again into a warzone. If it's some other GOP who becomes president, There might be hope, but at the same time, maybe not. That is why I said America may walk on a dark path, simply because of what will happen in 2024, as I don't think Biden will win another term. But still, however gets in will either do more damage then now, or some good, but if more damage, I don't see America been able to pull itself back then.
=

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 15. Feb 21, 14:10

matthewfarmery wrote:
Mon, 15. Feb 21, 12:29
If it's some other GOP who becomes president, There might be hope, but at the same time, maybe not.
Cruz? Hawley? Rubio? They're not particularly palatable :(.

EDIT: But at least we could start a new thread :lol:
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Mon, 15. Feb 21, 15:17

RegisterMe wrote:
Mon, 15. Feb 21, 14:10
matthewfarmery wrote:
If it's some other GOP who becomes president, There might be hope, but at the same time, maybe not.

From the sounds of it, there might be a third Party made up of moderate Right politicians, which would split the already fractured Republican vote. It seems to be an anti Trump coalition, they aim to work with Democrats and you might be hearing more about them if Trumpism remains.
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 15. Feb 21, 16:42

RegisterMe wrote:
Mon, 15. Feb 21, 14:10
matthewfarmery wrote:

It's time for Kanye West.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 18. Feb 21, 06:06

So this is hilarious and so on point for the GOP.

Texas is broken right now due to a freak winter storm. People have been without power for days in below freezing temperature and it's been a huge mess.

A little back story on Texas. Texas's power infrastructure is not tied into the national grid. Their power production is completely run by private business with all the fun bits of being a monopoly and having little accountability.

Greg Abbot, the governor of Texas and loyal Trumpanzie, held a press conference a few days ago and explained the problems that have caused the blackouts. Essentially a large portion of their power comes from natural gas and the storm has literally frozen extraction, transportation, and power generation. Okay, understandable. They weren't prepared for the white walkers and things got frozen in their tracks.

Well, the very next day, dude went on Faux News and blamed the power outages on the solar and wind turbines that somehow quit working??? Which make up about 10% of their power production. I guess the sun was blotted out over Texas and wind stopped blowing. And, of course, good ol' boy Tucker Carlson took that and ran with it saying "unbeknownst to most, Texas has become completely reliant green energy" as if Texas suddenly became a bastion for hippies and completely ninjad control of the power grid away from the republican backed monopoly and no one noticed.

And then, Tim Boyd, a now former mayor of Charleston, Texas, decided to do his best Trump impression and took to twitter saying to his residents that the government owes them nothing, get off their asses and do something themselves, etc. etc. That didn't go over well and he was forced to resign. Of course, he has since claimed he resigned before he tweeted that even though the city's website still had him listed as the mayor. Totally believe he just up and resigned cuz "stuff".

Is the GOP trying to see which one of their super stars can out stupid the rest?

The ironic thing here is that when Trump blamed the wildfires in California on leaves and sticks and stuff on the forest floors, the GOP in Texas piled on to that, and among other things, sent California some rakes. So now here's Texas in the throws of a natural disaster, and what? They couldn't control the weather? They couldn't build a wall to keep the cold out? What's their excuse for not being able to bend mother nature to their will?
rebellionpac.com

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 18. Feb 21, 10:17

Sun and wind stopped working in Texas? Sun and wind are probably the only working energy sources in a time like this. Unless, all those solar panels consumed the sun (somebody told that in the past...)

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 18. Feb 21, 10:47

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Thu, 18. Feb 21, 06:06
What's their excuse for not being able to bend mother nature to their will?
They blame AOC and the future Green New Deal. Delusion is over 9000 :roll:

MFG

Ketraar

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 18. Feb 21, 12:06

The Mandalorian mantra of "this is the way" comes to mind. Texans have brought this upon themselves, it is the American way, the America dream, it's how they have decided that they want to live, so I have no sympathy for them. If they want to listen and believe the words of the ignorant like Tucker Carlson, then so be it "this is the way" let them suffer and let it be, it is their choice.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 18. Feb 21, 12:19

To put some perspective upon it, the people of Texas may not have anything to do with "bringing it on themselves". Their glorious (possibly corrupt, definitely of questionable intelligence and/or capable) leadership that they may have voted for perhaps did so, but I doubt it's something that happens overnight and just like with Brexit - while overall a slim majority wouldn't have, don't castigate the entire population for the idiocy of a few. The misdirection and misinformation they're spouting though is diabolical.
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 18. Feb 21, 10:17
Sun and wind stopped working in Texas? Sun and wind are probably the only working energy sources in a time like this. Unless, all those solar panels consumed the sun (somebody told that in the past...)
You'd think, but... a quick Google shows that solar on overcast days can produce just 10-25% of its usual sunny day output. Likewise, during frost and snow it can stop working entirely (apparently with regards to frost, obviously with regards to snow). But these are known and factored in calculations. They shouldn't be expecting solar to be maximum efficiency producer in winter.

The same actually goes for wind. Indeed, BBC article points out 50% of Wind Turbines aren't working... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56085733 - so it's true from a limited perspective that wind power really is "failing" in that sense.

https://www.eia.gov/state/analysis.php? ... %20sources - just to point out that apparently Texas is almost leading the way with Wind Power in the US. Go Texas!!

Texas does produce nearly 3/10ths of the entire US output of wind power, and as others say, the vast majority of Texas power is produced by non renewable sources - and those non renewables have failed. So hiding behind "it's all green energies fault" is utter balderdash as so rightly pointed out. But there is an element of some truth in green power failing.

HOWEVER, crucially, it's pointed out that this is expected from wind power during severe weather. In other words, the drop isn't a "omg it's gone wrong". They knew and expect it to generate less wayyyy before the actual scenario plays out. They'd have known when installing it. We know when there's no wind there's no power... you can't rely *just* on wind and then castigate it when there is none (for example).

A bit like when they turn wind turbines off because they 1) freeze, or 2) its too windy, or 3) there's too little wind; they KNOW in certain conditions the output is going to be lower. That's not a failure of the wind/green, it's a factored in and known for risk-to-supply - whereby other sources are supposed to take up the slack (i.e. backup generation sources such as Gas which can be turned on in an instant). This doesn't lessen the need for Green renewables, just that you need strategies to cope (like being hooked up to a wider grid :D ).

Those fossil fuels and nuclear are apparently failing at the same time. They should be clearer and more honest about what's going wrong and where, but as pointed out, I suspect they're just jumping on the lobbying financial bandwagon. However, it is true that wind and solar would be failing as well ... just that it's a known and accepted failure.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 18. Feb 21, 13:19

The post that Vertigo referenced is this one.

It's a beauty.
https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/wp-c ... 6714_n.jpg

Return to “Off Topic English”