Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: Trump

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 04:33

felter wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 19:11
...Also as far as I'm aware there are certain kinds of charges that a president can't pardon, it would be nice if someone could confirm this.
The President can pardon all federal offences except impeachment.

Trump could pardon someone for murder, a Federal crime, but couldn't pardon someone's parking violations, a State crime. (ie: Powers reserved for the States belong to the States.)

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 06:40

- so the entire veracity of Dirty Don Drumpf's presidency of the US is hanging on a technicality..?
- not a good situation in anybody's book.. :sceptic: :sceptic:

- Oz has a handle on the truth..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7IsYYvvzvQ
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 02:12

Morkonan wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 17:49
Trump isn't hiring people who "get results." Trump is hiring people who are celebrities and who may have gotten results using "any means necessary" including "illegal" means.

How many people associated with Trump's campaign or administration have already been indicted and plead guilty to crimes? These are the "results" oriented sorts of hires you're talking about?

That is the sort of "results oriented" hiring practices you say Trump engages in?
Have a look at the administration, they had to expand the revolving door because it cannot cope with the affluence of people coming in and out of it. What is the difference? Trump does not really have political luggage when it comes to hiring people, sure enough he will get some of his pals into the administration, but he will have no qualms about sacking them if necessary or it suits him.

And you are confusing "results" with "Trump results" that are two completely different things.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 03:22

Santi wrote:
Sun, 16. Dec 18, 02:12
...And you are confusing "results" with "Trump results" that are two completely different things.
Are you sure you're not my ex-wife? :)

"But, honey, all I meant to do was-"
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions! That's what my mom always used to say and she was right!"
"Your mother doesn't have anything to do with this."
"How dare you speak against my mother!"
"But... That's not the issue. The issue is-"
"You never liked her! I knew it!"

No, Trump doesn't have the established poltical machine that has a Rolodex full of qualified people waiting in the wings. Not like he wasn't the Republican nominee or anything... The problem isn't that Trump doesn't know who to hire, the problem is that nobody who is truly qualified for many of the positions is willing to work for him. He's having to dig down deep to find staffers that have some kind of remotely justifiable qualification for an office. And, perhaps, Trump is making his own suggestions, too, refusing to accept the advice of people who might actually have some good recommendations for him? He's headstrong and definitely an autocrat, so that's not a far-fetched scenario.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 03:42

As far as I can gather, Trump is not exactly the best person to either work for or with. It also seems to look like that he is incapable of taking any kind of advice. He always seems to think that he knows everything about everything and any view that is not his is always wrong, no matter what kind of evidence you have to the contrary. Any advice that he does seem to acknowledge, seems to come from nut jobs, total losers or even worse, fox news, all of the people who just make things up. He is pretty demeaning and two faced, he will only say nice things about you when you are in the room with him, but will say and be nasty about you as soon as you leave the room. When things do go wrong and they will, he will blame everyone else you included even though he would not listen to their advice to start with, because he thinks he is never wrong and never makes mistakes, so they must have done it on purpose to make him look bad. Would you want to work for someone like that.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 04:19

Morkonan wrote:
Sun, 16. Dec 18, 03:22
Are you sure you're not my ex-wife? :)

"But, honey, all I meant to do was-"
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions! That's what my mom always used to say and she was right!"
"Your mother doesn't have anything to do with this."
"How dare you speak against my mother!"
"But... That's not the issue. The issue is-"
"You never liked her! I knew it!"

No, Trump doesn't have the established political machine that has a Rolodex full of qualified people waiting in the wings. Not like he wasn't the Republican nominee or anything... The problem isn't that Trump doesn't know who to hire, the problem is that nobody who is truly qualified for many of the positions is willing to work for him. He's having to dig down deep to find staffers that have some kind of remotely justifiable qualification for an office. And, perhaps, Trump is making his own suggestions, too, refusing to accept the advice of people who might actually have some good recommendations for him? He's headstrong and definitely an autocrat, so that's not a far-fetched scenario.
In your own words, her mother doesn't have anything to do with this, or your ex wife for that matter. And it is true, you never liked them anyway.

You are missing a very important point, and that is "Trump results", tell me, of all those very qualified people you talk about, how many do not believe in climate change? I can answer that for you, none. How many believe in a immigration ban due to being muslin, none. Take trade, are they globalists or protectionism advocates?

Trump does not need or is looking for qualified people, he is looking for people that agree with him and get results, as is the norm in the private industry. His track record regarding electoral promises speak for itself in this matter.

Regarding the many administration vacant posts, it does not matter, those are political posts, agencies will keep ticking and doing their jobs even if their political overlords are missing. Of course Hilary or even Ted Cruz, before being elected or having an electoral program, will already have all those positions covered, because they are used as currency for political support. Mind you, for Trump that will change for the next elections, the longer he is on the job, the more political wise he will become.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 07:59

Santi wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 04:19
Mind you, for Trump that will change for the next elections, the longer he is on the job, the more political wise he will become.
I wish I believed this.

I see no evidence to suggest that Trump has even the slightest intention of learning anything . . .
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 12:20

Santi wrote:
Trump does not need or is looking for qualified people, he is looking for people that agree with him and get results, as is the norm in the private industry. His track record regarding electoral promises speak for itself in this matter.
- but Santi - it is NOT a private industry..
- in fact, it is the complete opposite..

- Trump does not (- nor will he ever..) understand the principles of governance..
- which is why he flies off the handle like a petulant child when he loses the argument

- the man is a complete idiot when it comes to politics.. :( :(
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 23:23

Santi wrote:
...You are missing a very important point, and that is "Trump results", tell me, of all those very qualified people you talk about, how many do not believe in climate change? I can answer that for you, none. How many believe in a immigration ban due to being muslin, none. Take trade, are they globalists or protectionism advocates?

So, you're equating "result oriented hiring practices <sic>" with "hiring toadies who lack independent thought?" :) Sure, I understand hiring people with similar values is a general practice, but that precludes the assumption that the values being sought are desirable to begin with. Trump hiring people that hold his same values and beliefs is not something I consider to be A Good Thing™.

(Note: I'm not sure if those double-negatives in your assertion of what those people believe is what you intended. Though, I can see multiple interpretations there. In either case, I didn't address them directly because I was unsure of what you meant them to be proof of. Elaborate if you wish.)
Regarding the many administration vacant posts, it does not matter, those are political posts, agencies will keep ticking and doing their jobs even if their political overlords are missing. Of course Hilary or even Ted Cruz, before being elected or having an electoral program, will already have all those positions covered, because they are used as currency for political support. Mind you, for Trump that will change for the next elections, the longer he is on the job, the more political wise he will become.
I have yet to see Trump become "politically wise" in regards to the ruling houses of political policy in Washington after almost two years of his occupancy of the office of President. Trump's ideas about who is qualified to hold an office of great responsibility is... unconventional, to say the least, and irresponsible on its face.

I'm one of those "conservatives" that looks at Trump's administration, so far, and sees nothing there that's desirable. And, as far as my personal feelings go, I'm repulsed by what I see him doing and saying. It's morally offensive. I will be happy to vote for just about anyone else who runs against him. And... that's a dangerous attitude to have. That's how we got into this mess to begin with. :)
BugMeister wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 12:20
Santi wrote:
- but Santi - it is NOT a private industry..
- in fact, it is the complete opposite..
^--- This.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 06:48

Fair enough, you disagree with Trump hiring practices, obviously you think that anyone that does not hold your beliefs are "toadies who lack independent thoughts" Also "Trump hiring people that hold his same values and beliefs is not something I consider to be A Good Thing™"

There is more "I'm one of those "conservatives" that looks at Trump's administration, so far, and sees nothing there that's desirable. And, as far as my personal feelings go, I'm repulsed by what I see him doing and saying. It's morally offensive. I will be happy to vote for just about anyone else who runs against him. And... that's a dangerous attitude to have. That's how we got into this mess to begin with.

Great, vote for Cruz them, doesn't change the fact that Trump have achieved most of his electoral promises after two years into his mandate. And has done so by surrounding himself with like minded people and being ruthless not only with his administration, but also with other countries.

At this point I would suggest you refresh The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 09:50

the fact that you suggest a comparison with Machiavelli speaks volumes.. :D :thumb_up:
at the moment, not only is trump challenging the truth - he's also playing fast and loose with his diversions and lies..
this meddling causes unnecessary and often harmful divisions in society - you wind up with "for and against" camps, etc - often for the most idiotic and dangerous of reasons
- through free, open and honest debate, Democracy enables a levelling mechanism, so that governance doesn't become "lop-sided or misguided.."
- it may not be perfect, and it will always be a work-in-progress by it's very nature, but the central principle remains intact even after thousands of years..
- Spock would merely raise an eyebrow and once again utter, "That is illogical, Captain.." :doh:

governing a country may (- of necessity) have a monetarist element - however it should not be at the expense of security or leave participants in jeopardy
that's not just an opinion, it's a fact of life.. remember: politics encompasses the entire universe of government, hence the absolute need for oversight..

for a person to accept public office and then to deliberately deny or obfuscate oversight into his actions, that person would have to be supremely ignorant of his duties..!!
watching the greedy slithering of the Trump administration (- surely an oligarchy of grifters), there can be no doubt that stoopidity is the fifth horseman of the apocalypse..

Has Rudy been flashed by the MIB..?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ4WXvzFFCk
:lol:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 18:26

Santi wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 06:48
...Great, vote for Cruz them, doesn't change the fact that Trump have achieved most of his electoral promises after two years into his mandate. And has done so by surrounding himself with like minded people and being ruthless not only with his administration, but also with other countries.
Cruz? Lolz... No thanks. I've seen more determination and steadfastness in the ancient sponge that hides under my kitchen sink...
That is such a terrible book... You realize that Machiavelli wrote it because nobody would hire him, right? He wrote it "to his potential employer" so they'd feel justified in their actions and good about themselves. It's crap. With very few exceptions stolen from men smarter than he, his pamphlet for success is junk he picked out of thin air that he thought sounded good to the ears of the aristocracy... just so he could get a job as a courtier doing nothing but hanging around rich people all day and chasing skirts at night :)

But, a boatload of pomaded Wall Street wannabes read it in the 80's and lived their lives by it, getting "rich" all the way to the Dot Com Bubble... Yay them? I hope our nation's leaders don't read "The Prince" and think it's some kind of guide for "rulers."

Then again, those types probably have it on their shelves so, with an authoritarian flare, they can tell people they've read it. If you ever walk into an executive's office and see that on the shelf, they don't know what they're doing. Either take their job from them or quit, depending upon the ground upon which you stand. Or, you can build a castle in their office foyer and try to provoke them to fight you... :)

PS - You'd be better served by readign Aurelius's "Meditations." Don't bother with Sun Tzu except for recreational reading unless you're planning on going to war. And, there is no profitable war except a war of conquest that does not include occupation of conquered territory, so normal "business" strategies wouldn't benefit very much without one already having the capability to... win. Which kind of means you probably didn't need to read the book to begin with. :)

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 19:28

So in typical Trump fashion, he has shutdown his Charitable Trump organization in NY, you know the one he used for everything apart from charity, the one he said had done nothing wrong, that it was being used as a political witch-hunt. He loves to call them that, everything is a witch-hunt to him, he must be one hell of a witch but even though he has shut it down, I think he thought that would be enough witch magic to make the problem go away, but I'm afraid this time NY are still going after him and his family.

Trump's troubled charity foundation to shut down

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 02:51

It's fairly clear from that article that he's shutting it down because of a legal agreement - there's to be judicial oversight of its activities, and they need approval to distribute the remaining funds. Of course, that didn't stop the foundation's lawyer protesting their total innocence of any wrongdoing... (then why did you sign the agreement, you fool?)

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 05:25

Morkonan wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 18:26
Cruz? Lolz... No thanks. I've seen more determination and steadfastness in the ancient sponge that hides under my kitchen sink...
That is such a terrible book... You realize that Machiavelli wrote it because nobody would hire him, right? He wrote it "to his potential employer" so they'd feel justified in their actions and good about themselves. It's crap. With very few exceptions stolen from men smarter than he, his pamphlet for success is junk he picked out of thin air that he thought sounded good to the ears of the aristocracy... just so he could get a job as a courtier doing nothing but hanging around rich people all day and chasing skirts at night :)
Great, awesome, Machiavelli ultimate goal was to get laid and to get a steady job, probably a nine to five.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 05:35

So Donald Trump has had the honour of having a newly discovered amphibian named after him, it will now be called Dermophis donaldtrumpi, it's greatest attribute is that it buries it's head in the sand. The person who named it actually paid $25,000 for the privilege and his reasoning was that it is susceptible to global warming changes and we all know what Trump thinks on that. You just can't make this stuff up.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 05:44

looks like Flynn's legal team is being granted extra time to fully consider the gravity of his treachery against the United States
any and all aspersions they might consider casting against the proceedings will rightly be fully investigated before sentencing is made final

The judge is effectively saying OK guys, if you got any deliberations or misgivings on these proceedings, you got until March to make a final statement..
thus also he obliquely reminded them to consider that, having been fed enough judicial rope, they may end up hanging their client if they do not tread carefully..
In any plea deal, compliance must be full and complete - Kinda like a last ditch concession: a "put or shut up" offer, if you ask me..

- Trump himself ought to be feeling more than a bit wobbly in the knees, right now..
- though I suspect he'll continue to scream and shout, throw tantrums and protest his innocence
- the flak continues to fly in all directions..

- welcome to Gormenghast.. :( :(

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 16:16

Santi wrote:
Wed, 19. Dec 18, 05:25
...Great, awesome, Machiavelli ultimate goal was to get laid and to get a steady job, probably a nine to five.
Sounds like a pretty reasonable set of goals to me... :)

The whole point wasn't really that "The Prince" is worthless. (Though, it sort of is...) It's that it's not some sort of "Holy Book." It's too flawed for that level of respect. When people bring it up, it usually means it's an "appeal to authority." But, it's a false idol to begin with. "In my opinion" - There are plenty of people that extol its virtues. I just happen to think that it's mostly crap when someone tries to apply it to contemporary strategies. These days, the consequences of a chosen strategy that ignores the means of achievement can be dire. The world doesn't consist of authoritarian principalities only concerned with their immediate neighbors.

All "conflict" is not "war." IMO, understanding the exact nature of a conflict is half the battle. Whoever figures it out first is the most likely to advance their cause. Neither conflicting political interests nor economic conflict must be viewed as a "war" to be "battled."

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 18:13

the Relicants squirm on the hook..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pal0OcRoZ8

- sad to see the Trump Party sink so low, eh Mitch? :evil:

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 21:34

You really need to refresh The Prince and while you personally may no like it. It is a must read for the insight it gives into politics and rulers, that is the reason why it has been relevant for 500 years, not because wall street read it in the 80's, seriously, can we stop blaming the 80's for everything?

The Prince is about the effectiveness of the government. A good ruler is an effective ruler. And that insight is very relevant when trying to understand Trump and why he is the favourite to gain another term.

One of the main complaints is that he does not fit our mental image of how a President must behave or say, that is totally irrelevant if he is effective, if he is getting the results. He is a good President. And people need to understand that Trump is there for the American people that voted him, not for those that voted against him. Saying Trump is a bad president because is not promoting equality is silly, because people did not vote him to promote equality.

Lets have a look across the pond. Trump mark II. Monsieur Emmanuel Macron, better dressed, more charming, smart and educated. In two years he has manage to set France on fire, literally. Why? because while he has done some of the reforms in his electoral pledge, not only he has failed improving peoples lives but also hitting them repeatedly with more taxes, regulations and making comments to what amounts to dissing of France citizens. And if he does not become effective real quick, next in line for France President is Marine Le Pen.

Back to Trump, he asked several times to the World Trade Organisation to start talks about reforms, as several countries (China) have it better than others (America). The WTO laughed at him basically, he has been vetting the appointment of new judges that resolve the disputes as to make the WTO ineffectual, right now there is a good chance that the WTO will cease to exist. Another tick on the electoral promises, again supporting and trying to improve American interests and not afraid to use the means at his disposals to accomplish his goals.

Return to “Off Topic English”