Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BugMeister
x4

Re: Trump

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 3. Jun 19, 19:57

WELCOME, UNCLE SAM..
Looks like Donny's enjoying his visit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYk6rwc_cAM
- Ivanka looking radiant as always.. 8)
- Trump high-fives Madge.. :lol:
=====================================
- oh, THAT George (BabyFace) Nader..
- Erik (The Enforcer) Prince - Elliot (FatMan) Broidey and BabyFace have been up to naughty business:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIQdNgMAfrk
- it's just another episode in the Trump Saga**

**..think Sopranos played by Muppets.. :roll: :roll:
IT'S THE BLIMP..!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPgdxeLLLnk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpA4XpnnI_U
Jared (DeadEyes) Kushner becomes robotic in his defence of fascist/racism..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQMSNrKShug
YADDA_YADDA.. Boom - tish..!!
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 6. Jun 19, 09:23

bring on the warm jets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3fd2020a9I

- here there be dragons.. :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Thu, 6. Jun 19, 16:12

Bugmeister, could you do something for me (and maybe others)?

I know you like posting videos in this thread. There's nothing wrong with that. But generally I don't watch them! Nothing personal; I have just seen a lot of rubbish on YouTube and tend to be pretty selective about what I watch. I almost never click on a video just on someone's say so.

Instead of giving cryptic hints, would it be possible for you to give just a 2-3 sentence précis of what's in the video? If you think it'll ruin the surprise, you could spoiler tag it, but maybe it might get more people watching the videos you post.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Fri, 7. Jun 19, 09:54

+1 Agreed!
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 7. Jun 19, 18:22

here are some victories to brighten the mood:

$19B disaster relief package, which would go to Puerto Rico (though I assume not limited to)

as you may know Trump hasnt been onboard with it without his southern fence, but, he caved, which is a plus

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/06/politics ... index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/23/politics ... index.html
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 8. Jun 19, 03:17

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-mak ... -announces

Seems like President Trump got Mexico's attention. He hasn't even gone after remittances to Mexico yet. Obi-Wan would definitely feel the disturbance in the force if he did. I think that is where we need to go in the end because as long as it is viable to come here illegally and work under the table to send dollars home it will continue.
Who made that man a gunner?

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 8. Jun 19, 03:50

@Masterbagger

1. Remittances are not illegal.
2. See 1.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 8. Jun 19, 04:46

RegisterMe wrote:
Sat, 8. Jun 19, 03:50
Remittances are not illegal.
What about in cases where the money is earned by someone who doesn't have a work visa here? Couldn't those wages be legally seized as "ill gotten"? It may not currently be legal to go after remittances, but it doesn't seem a far stretch for it to become so.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 8. Jun 19, 05:03

Observe wrote:
Sat, 8. Jun 19, 04:46
RegisterMe wrote:
What about in cases where the money is earned by someone who doesn't have a work visa here? Couldn't those wages be legally seized as "ill gotten"? It may not currently be legal to go after remittances, but it doesn't seem a far stretch for it to become so.
That's a fair question. All I can say right now is that I am tired, and I am drunk.

And I have dollars in my wallet.

How do you tell the difference between my dollars and "their" dollars?
I can't breathe.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 8. Jun 19, 05:34

Masterbagger wrote:
Sat, 8. Jun 19, 03:17
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-mak ... -announces

Seems like President Trump got Mexico's attention. He hasn't even gone after remittances to Mexico yet. Obi-Wan would definitely feel the disturbance in the force if he did. I think that is where we need to go in the end because as long as it is viable to come here illegally and work under the table to send dollars home it will continue.
And here I hoped to see what the US economy would do with 25% tariffs. Even better if 50%, or 100% or more!

Oh well... Maybe next time?

RegisterMe wrote:
@Masterbagger

1. Remittances are not illegal.
2. See 1.
I am guessing in Trump's world it is. Well at least when they go to Mexico, vs, lets say, Russia.

Observe wrote:
RegisterMe wrote:
Ill gotten to who? to IRS? Not at all, taxes are paid.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 8. Jun 19, 06:00

RegisterMe wrote:
Sat, 8. Jun 19, 05:03
Observe wrote:
RegisterMe wrote:
That's a fair question. All I can say right now is that I am tired, and I am drunk.

And I have dollars in my wallet.

How do you tell the difference between my dollars and "their" dollars?
You just wanted to snap at someone you disagree with. I grant you this. It may be therapeutic for you and I am immune to anyone's loathing. I will not begrudge you a chance to vent.

Simply put the difference between our dollar and theirs is that ours was taxed the very moment it was earned. It is within our power to require a valid social security number to transfer money. We do it if you want to buy a gun. Of course you can always buy a gun off an illegal street dealer and skip that part. I don't think you will find an illegal street banker to wire money to Mexico but maybe that will become a thing in the future.
Who made that man a gunner?

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 8. Jun 19, 12:16

Not really, but I grant you that I am paying for it anyway with my hangover :D . One of the problems with your stance is that your view of "us" and "them" contains a lot of room for prejudice. The second is that your idea of requiring a social security number for money transfers is... flawed. You don't need JP Morgan to transfer money. The Islamic world has been doing it for centuries with a system called Hawala. Even if you banned cash there is nothing you can do to stop a similar system from being used.

EDIT: So introducing a requirement to provide a social security number to initiate an international money transfer a) would have zero impact on immigration, legal or otherwise, and b) would push money flows from where they are at the moment, transparent and overseen by regulators and law enforcement agencies, to shadier and less visible but no less effective methods.

Sounds counter-productive to me.
I can't breathe.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 8. Jun 19, 14:27

Also we should stop using social security for things that have nothing to do with it. Not for money transfers, or anything else. This is not a secure number.

Western Union only needs an ID to send money. Any ID.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 8. Jun 19, 15:14

Masterbagger wrote:
Sat, 8. Jun 19, 06:00
Simply put the difference between our dollar and theirs is that ours was taxed the very moment it was earned. It is within our power to require a valid social security number to transfer money. We do it if you want to buy a gun. Of course you can always buy a gun off an illegal street dealer and skip that part. I don't think you will find an illegal street banker to wire money to Mexico but maybe that will become a thing in the future.
So are they being paid legally or illegally? Wasn't the issue with legally earned money being transferred privately after being received as wages? Aren't you free to do with your legally earned and taxed money as you wish, or is this restricted somehow? Or restricted based upon nationality?

Or is this now about illegal working (which I'd assume is outside of tax and therefore social security numbers?). Or do illegal workers get paid legally and pay taxes? They can earn it but not transfer without a social security number?

Confused :D
Couldn't those wages be legally seized as "ill gotten"?
If you seize "illegally" (no work visa?) earned money, isn't that essentially making them slaves?

Where's the risk on the good old law abiding American who's chosen to employ the illegal (no work visa?) immigrant (illegal or legal but without visa - is that possible?).
Wouldn't the better strategy to be going after the person who is employing them rather than the people being taken advantage of?

Is all this really about the "problem" that money earned may be sent/spent outside the US or am I misunderstanding this?
If it is, are you going to ensure tourists from the US are forbidden spending *their* money in other countries too? Stop buying foreign (imported) products next?

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 8. Jun 19, 23:16

Chips wrote:
Sat, 8. Jun 19, 15:14
Or is this now about illegal working (which I'd assume is outside of tax and therefore social security numbers?). Or do illegal workers get paid legally and pay taxes? They can earn it but not transfer without a social security number?
Illegal workers get paid under the table. Usually, they get paid less than prevailing "legal" wages. The employer gets more for his dollar, the government gets none.
Wouldn't the better strategy to be going after the person who is employing them rather than the people being taken advantage of?
We do that, but the fines are often less than what the business gains by hiring illegals. It's a cat and mouse game between illegals, employers and the government. All in the cause of the almighty dollar.

It appears that Mexico is going to do what it should have been doing all along. That is, all refugees must seek asylum in the first country they enter upon fleeing theirs. This means, people heading North from Guatemala would petition Mexico for asylum. Those from Nicaragua would make their case in Honduras. Theoretically, the only people seeking asylum at the U.S. southern border, would be Mexicans.

Mexico is responsible for stopping southern refugees at their own border, instead of looking the other way, as thousands of refugees make their way to the U.S.

But there is obviously a difference between refugees and migrants. Migrants (sometimes legal, sometimes not) cross the border back and forth for employment. Refuges (often incorrectly referred to as migrants), just want to get the hell out of wherever they come from.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 9. Jun 19, 02:03

Observe wrote:
Sat, 8. Jun 19, 23:16
Chips wrote:
Sat, 8. Jun 19, 15:14
Illegal workers get paid under the table. Usually, they get paid less than prevailing "legal" wages. The employer gets more for his dollar, the government gets none.
We do that, but the fines are often less than what the business gains by hiring illegals. It's a cat and mouse game between illegals, employers and the government. All in the cause of the almighty dollar.

It appears that Mexico is going to do what it should have been doing all along. That is, all refugees must seek asylum in the first country they enter upon fleeing theirs. This means, people heading North from Guatemala would petition Mexico for asylum. Those from Nicaragua would make their case in Honduras. Theoretically, the only people seeking asylum at the U.S. southern border, would be Mexicans.

Mexico is responsible for stopping southern refugees at their own border, instead of looking the other way, as thousands of refugees make their way to the U.S.

But there is obviously a difference between refugees and migrants. Migrants (sometimes legal, sometimes not) cross the border back and forth for employment. Refuges (often incorrectly referred to as migrants), just want to get the hell out of wherever they come from.
I don't disagree with a word of that. Equally, next up, boats.
I can't breathe.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 9. Jun 19, 19:01

Observe wrote:
Sat, 8. Jun 19, 23:16
Ah, so am i mistaken that the discussion wasn't about money going abroad from migrants working but was about immigration and refugee status as per UN guidelines? A bit lost at this point I must confess. I started off wondering just how big a problem money being sent overseas by workers was (economy wise) compared to other issues. Now I'm not sure what the thread of convo I bumbled into was! :D

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 19. Jun 19, 13:42

the idiotic Sebastian Gorka continues to spout nonsense\;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8JnE3OYi4k

BTW Quisling was Norwegian, just a thought..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vidkun_Quisling

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 24. Jun 19, 11:54

There has been much ado about how the Trump admin. is treating immigrants, and about what the places they are being kept should be called.
I have no particular wish to start up that discussion of semantics here, the link and sentence below will be my only comment on it.
Over the last decade migrants children dying in US custody was rare (most sources say nonexistent, but I can't verify this) but in the last 9 months at least 6 have died . . . . . . . probably many more, verifiable information is hard to extract from these places.
Less talk, more action.

https://www.raicestexas.org/donate/
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 27. Jun 19, 05:43

I've donated to RAICES last year. It's probably good to keep doing

Return to “Off Topic English”