Playing other games

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Re: Playing other games

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 5. Jun 20, 07:49

I was using a controller--I'm not one of those PC gamers who turns my nose up at them because "hurr hurr console peasant". In fact, I consider one of the big advantages of the PC platform that you *can* choose to use whatever controller works best for the game you're playing.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 12. Jun 20, 02:04

well if it makes you feel any less bad. Finally decided to buy the Split expansion and give x4 another go. And damn I'm rusty, ran into a group of 3 Ms in my fully decked out eclipse, magnificently died without killing even one M, feel bad man. :shock:
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 09:31

A lot of Stellaris dlcs from my wishlist are for sale: any suggestion on what I can't miss / is worth buying?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 12:11

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 09:31
A lot of Stellaris dlcs from my wishlist are for sale: any suggestion on what I can't miss / is worth buying?
Apocalypse and Utopia definitely, and I also quite like Ancient Relics for all the archaeology sites, but not sure if that's a commonly held opinion.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sat, 27. Jun 20, 11:03

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
I personally enjoy Federations but I have no clue if that is on sale as well.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Sun, 28. Jun 20, 10:35

clakclak wrote:
Sat, 27. Jun 20, 11:03
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
I personally enjoy Federations but I have no clue if that is on sale as well.
That's the only one I need to wait for.
In the end, I bought everything I missed but the species packs. I'm loving stories pack and ancient relics for now, in particular.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 28. Jun 20, 11:13

While we are already on a similar topic, is anyone else playing Distant Worlds Universe? I am having a blast with it lately, altough I still need to learn a LOT about how it works.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Sun, 28. Jun 20, 23:36

Mightysword wrote:
Thu, 4. Jun 20, 23:12
Overall though, I find Japanese fighting games tend to be built with the arcade standard (which is pretty much an extincted platform in the west) rather the console standard, so they're a tag harder. Also watching Japanese/Korean playing rhyme games at the arcade is a good way to convince yourself some gamers are a special breed of human ;)

Are you using a controller or using M&B? If it's the latter it may explain your struggle.
I agree that the difficulty of arcade games has been mostly lost (Example). As for Yakuza Zero, the first boss (Kuze) was easier for me using the Rush style.
Spoiler
Show
Actually you have to fight him several times in the game, and every time I defeated him with Rush.
It's good to spend some time levelling up your favorite style so that eventually you can fight any opponent (I never invested many points in Beast, though). Another thing: It is useful to do the real estate and club quests. They unlock abilities and the money is nice (I prefer to farm the different Mr. Shakedowns for money - with practice their attacks become very predictable). I'm playing with MK, I've only used a controller for pure fighting games. Simply put:

1) Controls have never been great on the Yakuza games, but the good parts of the game compensate for it. Practice will help you overcome this.

2) The different variations of Mr. Shakedowns are a great way to make money.

3) This is not a game that you should finish quickly, take your time with side quests and learn some fighting tricks.

4) Last but not least, rage quitting is part of playing a Yakuza game :evil: :headbang: :evil: . Having said that, nothing comes close to the rage quits I saw as a kid when people played Gun Smoke.

Please, give this game a chance! If you have specific questions let me know, I'm not a Yakuza Oracle but I may be able to help. Getting good at Zero will serve as a good foundation for Kiwami, which is easy to pick up for Zero veterans.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 29. Jun 20, 07:42

As far as styles is concerned, the game told me how to switch into the Rush style, but it never told me how to switch back again, so I was in that by default when fighting the guy! Problem is, once a game loses me I very rarely go back and try again, because there are just too many games available, many of which I will find more fun--I don't see the point of playing a game which frustrates me. Case in point: currently a bit over 40 hours into Persona 4 Golden, and having an absolute blast!

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Mon, 29. Jun 20, 08:10

You can use the 1-2-3 keys to switch styles as you unlock them (later on the game you unlock a fourth style that, after some grinding, makes you almost unstoppable).
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Mon, 29. Jun 20, 17:38

I'm currently on the early access of Hardspace: Shipbreaker, and I'm having a blast.

Basically, you are trying to dismantle a ship in Zero-G to salvage valuable components while avoiding the whole thing to blow up in your face.

There's not much in yet, as it's only early access. They only got 2 ships (+ variants) in the game so far. But it's already plenty of mayhem, and there's room for a lot of new stuff.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 5. Jul 20, 22:23

Currently picked up Far Cry Primal and Facerig from the steam sale. Children seem to think Facerig is funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbIWRd514-s

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 6. Jul 20, 23:22

Since it was released free on Epic I've been having a look at this Ark Evolved thing that peeps have been talking about.

My heart tells me I should reserve violence for those evil carnivores that plague the place but I'm not doing so. I'm beating up on all
the harmless herbivores and dodo birds. I am a bad bad person :(

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 7. Jul 20, 09:08

brucewarren wrote:
Mon, 6. Jul 20, 23:22
Since it was released free on Epic I've been having a look at this Ark Evolved thing that peeps have been talking about.

My heart tells me I should reserve violence for those evil carnivores that plague the place but I'm not doing so. I'm beating up on all
the harmless herbivores and dodo birds. I am a bad bad person :(
You're just a predator, don't blame yourself for your instincts, brucewarrensaurus rex.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 10. Jul 20, 23:02

Never played a Pokemon game, and never will, but now I understand why some people like them. Grabbed Planet Zoo, and damn try to breed the perfect animal can be a really addicting business. :doh:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 11. Jul 20, 05:33

Mightysword wrote:
Fri, 10. Jul 20, 23:02
Never played a Pokemon game, and never will, but now I understand why some people like them. Grabbed Planet Zoo, and damn try to breed the perfect animal can be a really addicting business. :doh:
You don't breed Pokemon, you find them wandering around the place and beat them into submission, AFAIK...

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 11. Jul 20, 06:56

I never quite understood why I should keep playing.

There seem to be random chance on encounter, and there's no rule how to hunt Pokémon.

But they could have done it so much better, a GPS treasure hunting games are great.

Their previous game Ingress seemed more fun
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 11. Jul 20, 08:00

pjknibbs wrote:
Sat, 11. Jul 20, 05:33
Mightysword wrote:
Fri, 10. Jul 20, 23:02
You don't breed Pokemon, you find them wandering around the place and beat them into submission, AFAIK...
I wasn't referring to GO specifically. There are a lot of Pokemon game across different nintendo platform and I 'think' some of them do have the raising expect. Anyway, it's the 'gotta catch them all' or making the ultimate creature thing.

Anyway, my 2nd zoo was running nicely, guests happy, staffs happy, animal happy, and the bank was getting fat with haft a million credits. At that point I was honestly think the game was a bit too easy on the tycoon side, seems as long as you keep thing running the money just keep rolling in. Only thing was conservation credit was slow, which prevent me getting more exotic animal. I heard people say the fastest way to raise conservation credit was raising lions, since they're endanger species. So I invested in a few heads to start a pride. And true enough, the original pride only took a few generation to take off and I was rolling in conservation credit. At that point I thought I was set, and the game is simply about creative vision at that point ... until I checked my cash reserve.

Originally the lion actually bring in extra cash from donation along side conservation credit, but as the pride grown in size, their food cost start overtake the revenue they were bring in ... big time. I think prior to adding lions the entire zoo operating cost was something like 60k per years, at the point I checked the lion habitat cost 100k in food by itself. So I panic, start firing staff, down size the zoo (include the pride size) but it was too late. As I scale down the operation, so does revenue, and it was just a snow ball effect. My last 100k gone in just a couple years, took out a 75k loan didn't help, in fact made it worse due to interest payment. After hitting -200k, I gave up and pack my things. As I remember how I was thinking the game was too 'easy' this morning, I was like "damn, this had never happened to me in this kind of game before". :headbang:

10/10 will zoo again. :thumb_up:

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Sat, 11. Jul 20, 09:14

I like the "collecting" kind of game (not ccg), and I had some fun with GO.
But, somehow, Pokemon never got my interest...

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 25. Jul 20, 22:13

Another Stalker 2 trailer released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NuPJmiQh-A

Return to “Off Topic English”