Playing other games

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Vertigo 7
x4

Re: Playing other games

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 1. Oct 20, 04:46

Anyone know anything about this new F2P game that recently dropped, Genshin Impact? Seems to be making some waves and game play looks interesting. Seen some commenters mention the micro transaction functions are practically not required at all to play and only seemingly useful at end game for grindy crap. Curious if looked deeply at this to see what the deal is. I can't find a whole lot of info on the microtransaction portion and what paywalls are setup for this game.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 1. Oct 20, 08:51

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Sun, 27. Sep 20, 13:35
Terre wrote:
Fri, 25. Sep 20, 20:17
NMS just got a big update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifZA6IMeLs8
Looks good - very glad you posted the info. Think I may well need to start a new NMS run when my current CK3 game hits it's end date (still almost 4 centuries before that happens however).

As for CK3, never did manage to kill off the Drunkard Disappointment. No matter how many times I sent him on solo suicide runs against entire armies he just kept getting stronger. He levelled up to Legendary Blademaster, became a Berserker & even increased his level of devotion (couple of the Asatru holy sites grant additional Prowess based on level of devotion). In the end his Prowess was 37, which is nuts, by far the best Champion I had at the time. Decided that probably meant Odin wanted him to live. Did however end up having to Disinherit, so his sister could become the next ruler. Her genetics were just too good to miss out on, though arguably one of her sons is even better:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahmwklj0a1dq3 ... 1.jpg?dl=0
Do a dna test on your guy: drunkard, 37 in prowess, he's probably not your son, but Thor's.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 1. Oct 20, 13:34

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 1. Oct 20, 08:51
Do a dna test on your guy: drunkard, 37 in prowess, he's probably not your son, but Thor's.
Plausible hypothesis - he did have the Divine Blood trait...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3teemz2mczm6q ... 1.jpg?dl=0

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 1. Oct 20, 14:02

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Thu, 1. Oct 20, 13:34
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 1. Oct 20, 08:51
Plausible hypothesis - he did have the Divine Blood trait...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3teemz2mczm6q ... 1.jpg?dl=0
His family page is a graveyard... Definitely Thor!

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 1. Oct 20, 17:36

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 1. Oct 20, 14:02
His family page is a graveyard... Definitely Thor!
That was a while ago. Mostly they died peacefully, of old age or poor health. Couple of them (including Folki) drank themselves to death. Not like the younger generations, who seem to have decided that murder is a game the whole family can play. Trying to discourage the rest by punishing the murderers appropriately (Blood Eagle executions), but rapidly running out of children & now the grandchildren are getting involved...

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Thu, 1. Oct 20, 20:00

Again, "thanks" to the pandemic I've had more time for gaming and recently finished Metro Last Light. I liked the atmosphere a lot, the story is fine but the game engine is annoying (crashes, stuttering). I'm not expecting Doom-like optimization, but still. Has anyone played Exodus? Are they still using the same engine or have they moved on to something better? I've read that Exodus is more open-world, that probably wouldn't fit the Metro series just like it wouldn't fit Half-Life 2. Did they pull off the sandbox gameplay and mechanics?
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 10. Oct 20, 21:01

It looks like Baldurs Gate 3 is doing pretty well. It looks like Divinity Original Sin 2.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 11. Oct 20, 07:46

burger1 wrote:
Sat, 10. Oct 20, 21:01
It looks like Baldurs Gate 3 is doing pretty well. It looks like Divinity Original Sin 2.
From what I see and hear, it's pretty much Divinity 3 set in BG's universe. It's good news for those who enjoyed the last two games, but not for someone like me who would prefer "the" Baldurs Gate exeprience. Especially I couldn't get into the previous Laraan games so it's pretty much a skip for me. :|
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 11. Oct 20, 08:31

Yes, the negative feedback around BG3 appears to be based around the style of gameplay rather than its quality. - I reckon I'll wait until some substantive gameplay videos emerge, after the game has evolved a little, before making a judgement. One of the things I liked about BG & BG2 was how unrestricted the gameplay was. - I've the impression that BG3 is a little more linear, much like Icewind Dale, but that may be because there's only limited content with the present release.

But it does look like it's doing well from a sales point of view.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 11. Oct 20, 09:17

Gavrushka wrote:
Sun, 11. Oct 20, 08:31
Yes, the negative feedback around BG3 appears to be based around the style of gameplay rather than its quality. - I reckon I'll wait until some substantive gameplay videos emerge, after the game has evolved a little, before making a judgement. One of the things I liked about BG & BG2 was how unrestricted the gameplay was. - I've the impression that BG3 is a little more linear, much like Icewind Dale, but that may be because there's only limited content with the present release.
It's not even the gameplay issue for me, while I do prefer the system in the old game over the one in Laraan game, I can tolerate it. I can't quite describe it very well, but the narrative and writing style from Laraan just never drew me in. According to steam I have 45h on Original Sin 1 and 95h on Sin 2, number that supprised me. Because I never finished neither of them (a lot of those time could be AFK time since I don't remember playing that much). I never got very far with Sin 1, think I stopped just right after we teleport in our own stronghold or ... whatever that was, Sin 2 I think I make it to the final set of map (arriving the capital ?) and never have the urge or desire to actually finish the game ... the story and NPC interaction just never click for me. If I have to say it ... maybe "morbid" is the vibe I get from the casts.

The most recent CRPG I played that was as close to the old BG games were Pathfinder: Kingmaker, I enjoyed it a lot and already back the next game that's supposedly coming out next year.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 11. Oct 20, 09:52

I've 20 hours on Divinity I, and did enjoy the time spent. Thing is, it's a little flippant/lighthearted at times and that can break immersion when your head isn't in that place. I may well return to Divinity I, or maybe pick up II when it's next on sale, but I doubt either will be games I'll complete. - I did put around 50 hours in Pathfinder, and that had real depth to it, but I grew frustrated in one section where you flipped between realities or something, so shelved it at that point.

I might just throw in the towel and accept the gaming world left me behind 20 years ago, and return to the Temple of Elemental Evil and, from some years earlier, the Dark Sun games and their ilk.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 11. Oct 20, 11:22

Ars Technica's early access review of BG3 was utterly scathing about pretty much everything, but particularly the writing. I'd be interested in other opinions, but it sounded pretty bad... https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/10/ ... ng-engine/
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 11. Oct 20, 19:31

red assassin wrote:
Sun, 11. Oct 20, 11:22
Ars Technica's early access review of BG3 was utterly scathing about pretty much everything, but particularly the writing. I'd be interested in other opinions, but it sounded pretty bad... https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/10/ ... ng-engine/
I read that review, and while I wouldn't go as far as saying it's "bad", more like personal preference. Many of the "bad" things listed in that review are just hallmark of Laraan game, like the "everyone hate you" bit. That's what I meant ealier by the characters are all very morbid. The Witcher is one of the darkest writing I've seen in RPG, perhaps second only to Warhammer universe but the 3 Witcher games from CD project all delivered a fairly colorful world and characters. NWN2 from Obsidian were a lot darker comparing to the original NWN from Bioware, but still the NPCs in them still have "life". The darkness in characters is something you read between the line in those games, whether in Laraan game it feels the majority of NPC walk around announcing to the world "I am darkness incarnation!". In my 100h in Sin 2 I couldn't find myself connect to any of the NPC, both in and out of my party, even the one I engaged a romance with. They all seems base on the same template and then touch up a bit to make them seem different.

Of course, not saying all of that is bad, people did enjoyed them after all. And that's what I kinda don't get, Sin 1 and Sin 2 were successful enough that I think Laraan has enough cloud to make their third game to stand on its own. Borrowing the BG3 name just gonna invite a lot of unnecessary scrutiny when it's clear the developers are not even remotely attempting to delivery the original experience.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 11. Oct 20, 20:42

The thing that really caught my eye about that review is the bit at the end, where he's talking about your party being A-OK with you getting brain munched by a mind flayer in front of them because they hate you that much. Considering one of your party members is a githyanki, a race who were enslaved for millennia by mind flayers and hate them above all else, that's just ridiculous--no matter how much she hates you, she hates the mind flayer more and isn't going to stand by idly while it has a snack. Not to mention the nonsense idea that succeeding in a skill check is actually worse for you than failing! I don't remember any point in either Divinity: OS or D:OS2 where anything like that happened, so I'd really like to know what Larian are playing at there.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 11. Oct 20, 22:25

All I have to say is, don't judge a game by its early access. To be honest I think it is pretty stupid to do a review of an early access game, commenting on it okay, but a review. I have played several early access games where the released game and the early access games especially at the start of early access and the released game are two totally different games, a lot of them the story is totally different, I have even played ones where the story has changed several times in early access. So don't judge the game till it's finished.

I will say though that I think, £49.99 is more than a little steep for an early access game.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 11. Oct 20, 22:35

One of the fundamentals of role playing is immersion. After a mention of Pathfinder, I started up a new game today, and you realise how the actions of all characters are considered and in keeping with who they are. - As soon as that foundation is removed, role players will struggle to build anything meaningful from the game. In the original Baldur's Gate, I remember a character with a hamster who suddenly attacked the rest of the party because we hadn't rescued someone - we were minutes away from the location. - It stopped the game for me there and then, even though I appreciated it had to have been a simple countdown timer that triggered at a very inappropriate moment. Nowadays, there's no excuse for a sloppy narrative considering the resources available to such game designers.

Considering BG3 is still in development, I wonder if they'll remove such immersion destroying guff. - A writer who doesn't *get* the characters they're creating narratives for has nothing to add to the game, and should be replaced. I hope Felter is right, and they will make alterations, and considering they've probably pulled in several million pounds in the opening days, they should be able to invest heavily in a more lore-conscious and plausible script for the actors.

I'll follow the link tomorrow, and read the review, but I'm pretty gutted. NWN and Baldur's Gate, along with the very early AD&D games formed some of my most enjoyable gaming experiences.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 11. Oct 20, 23:16

pjknibbs wrote:
Sun, 11. Oct 20, 20:42
I don't remember any point in either Divinity: OS or D:OS2 where anything like that happened, so I'd really like to know what Larian are playing at there.
While I think it's partially due to it being early access and things haven't well thought out yet, the overall tone and style are fairly consistent with D:OS and D:OS2. One of the reason I never really connect with my party in OS2 is because it's never quite established WHY these characters are following me around. Sure, there is some convenience excuse, and "band together for the sake of survival" can pass for a reason, but then WHY is it that it becomes MY party? If all these characters hate/distrust me so much, why is it I became the default leader of the group? (if I remember correctly one lady before joining you flat out said she's ready to slit your throat anytime). Sure as the game process you can see how they accept you, but then it doesn't change the fact the whole party came together for no more reason than to give you a party to play the game with.

While eventually I think the script may get better, I don't think the tone or narrative gonna change much, and I doubt it will ever come close to the narrative style of the old BG series.
Gavrushka wrote:
Sun, 11. Oct 20, 22:35
One of the fundamentals of role playing is immersion. After a mention of Pathfinder, I started up a new game today, and you realise how the actions of all characters are considered and in keeping with who they are. - As soon as that foundation is removed, role players will struggle to build anything meaningful from the game.
And I think this is where Pathfinder excelled. Comparing to what I just said in the previous paragraph: the game gave a very clear reason why you are chosen as the leader, and the characters who decided to follow you give very specific reasons on the qualities that make them follow (or not follow) you. Yes, it's just superfluous for the next few hours since eventually you can recruit all of them, but like you said it creates immersion. Also, the 2 "slave" mages you rescue have a back story that as dark/bad//depressing as the one in OS2, but it's only a "part" of characters, whether with Laraan's writing the backstory IS the whole character itself, making it very one dimensional.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 12. Oct 20, 08:50

Assetto Corsa was at € 10 on Instant Gaming, so I bought it.
Nice struggle on the first laps, I was too used to easy arcade driving of Horizon, but applying just a couple of standard behaviours (like braking without steering...) I began to have some good fun!

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 12. Oct 20, 08:53

Gavrushka wrote:
Sun, 11. Oct 20, 22:35
One of the fundamentals of role playing is immersion. After a mention of Pathfinder, I started up a new game today, and you realise how the actions of all characters are considered and in keeping with who they are. - As soon as that foundation is removed, role players will struggle to build anything meaningful from the game. In the original Baldur's Gate, I remember a character with a hamster who suddenly attacked the rest of the party because we hadn't rescued someone - we were minutes away from the location. - It stopped the game for me there and then, even though I appreciated it had to have been a simple countdown timer that triggered at a very inappropriate moment. Nowadays, there's no excuse for a sloppy narrative considering the resources available to such game designers.

Considering BG3 is still in development, I wonder if they'll remove such immersion destroying guff. - A writer who doesn't *get* the characters they're creating narratives for has nothing to add to the game, and should be replaced. I hope Felter is right, and they will make alterations, and considering they've probably pulled in several million pounds in the opening days, they should be able to invest heavily in a more lore-conscious and plausible script for the actors.

I'll follow the link tomorrow, and read the review, but I'm pretty gutted. NWN and Baldur's Gate, along with the very early AD&D games formed some of my most enjoyable gaming experiences.
Sorry for the double post, but this is so unrelated to Assetto Corsa...

I'm interested in BG3 as a role player and big fun of older BGs.
As you guys mentioned, it looks like you need to play their pre-cooked characters to experience the full stories, and that's very far from what I think a role playing game is... Sad.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 23. Oct 20, 03:29

So after watching many video I gave in and decided to grab Crusader King 3 Royal Edition. Gonna give it a swing tonight after dinner, here hoping it will not disappointed. :)

And if it doesn't then I hope I will be able to drag myself to bed on time, I have to work early tomorrow. :doh:

Return to “Off Topic English”