Playing other games

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mightysword
x3tc

Re: Playing other games

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 20:31

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 31. Mar 20, 13:27
Bannerlord had been sitting in my Steam wishlist for nearly 4 years! I bought it as soon as it became available, knowing full well that there would likely be plenty of bugs. I'm not sure when I'll get to play it though. :(
I bought it and played it for a couple hours while waiting for Persona 5 Royal to be unlocked. Here my impression:

Good:
- If your expectation is to play Warband with better graphic, you can do it right now. The base sandbox from Warband is functioning for the most part.
- There are more quest varieties, easier to access.
- The graphic is good, not Witcher 3 good of course, but it does create similar atmosphere in the environment, much better than the bland one in Warband. Think it's witcher 2 level maybe.

Of course I haven't got to the empire/clan building part in the limited number of hours. But so far I can do what I usually 80% of time in the old Warband anyway i.e hire troop, upgrade, trade, take quest, and cuberstorm enemy to the ground. Haven't tried any siege though. :)

Bad:
- Loading maybe a bit slow, but not unbearable. But I do question the necessity of how many there are though. Like you have to load to have a dialogue before another into the field itself. (Catch bandit -> load -> tell bandit they gonna get screw -> load - > battle).
- It's already specified in the early access that the feature that gonna make the "II" in Warband II are not in the game yet, like having kids, generation ...etc...
- Expect reused assets like scene and face mold.
- Facial animation is crap, basically warband being warband.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 00:32

Kinda torn on what to think about Bannerlord. I'm no stranger to early access games so I know to temper my expectations, but I look at Bannerlord and just see Warband with improved visuals - for £thirty-something. I hope there's a lot more to come in the future.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 02:03

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:
Wed, 1. Apr 20, 00:32
Kinda torn on what to think about Bannerlord. I'm no stranger to early access games so I know to temper my expectations, but I look at Bannerlord and just see Warband with improved visuals - for £thirty-something. I hope there's a lot more to come in the future.
Another thing to to consider is if you're like me who last played native like 5 years ago, it's easy to forget how barebone the base game was. Bannerlord alpha access certainly feel more stable and functional than Warband early access back then. In fact Bannerlord as it is hold up to a modded Warband.

But yeah, a lot of things that would make Bannerlord a Warband "II" is not in yet. For me it's mostly the stuffs that will make RPing easier and more meaningful, I look forward the most to the ability to overtake the ruler of your faction to become a new leader, instead of having to start from scratch. :)

As far for the bread&butter stuffs like combat, recruit, battle ...etc... I'm kinda on the side of "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" so more of the same in the regard is actually fine by me. I do hope siege battle will be less tragic than it was in WB though. :sceptic:

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 14:07

The combat is horrible, just like Warband's was. Its one of the things that must be improved at some point imo.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 14:51

Not playing but watching ... LAST OASIS,, mmo, travelling the land , crafting, pillaging all in your land walker plus you get to club monkeys, what's not to like,, except I will wait for the single player version... no ones clubbing this monkey.

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 19:14

Bannerlord is the first game in the franchise that I've played, and I found the barebones tutorial sufficient to get newcomers started. The combat mechanics are not unnecessarily cumbersome like those of Kingdom Come Deliverance, but the abilities could use more depth (e.g. more perks).
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 21:19

Don't expect too much from the levelling up experience then. While it's got some good ideas, it's definitely early access as it's not just a grind fest, but borderline impossible. My companions haven't remotely levelled up... it's not he only part that needs rebalancing.

But there's nice ideas for the game, just lacking significantly in the depth at the moment (so many placeholders). They developed the entire game engine over again, added some nice touches, but still haven't got it fleshed after 8 years. I'd definitely question whether it'll be finished within a year like some are hoping. Maybe the cash injection of it being near full price for Early Access will help out a lot though :) Just seems odd that forging your own weapons was implemented before the base game was fleshed/completed, but I know nothing about game development so meh :D

Best news for Taleworlds has to be Twitch - seen people playing it with 25,000 viewers. Sips is playing it daily with about 4,000 viewers. If a small proportion turn into sales then the changing landscape of gaming will have helped them significantly.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 23:53

I've seen about as many bugged things as working things so far. Credit to the devs, they're patching things quick.
I'm disappointed that combat is still very janky, but also that the arena experience hasn't been changed. Why can you still not pick what weapon to use, and why do units keep armour??

Bannerlord has a long, long road if it's going to come good.
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 2. Apr 20, 00:27

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:
Wed, 1. Apr 20, 23:53
That was one thing I did expect. A bit like X games. I don't support the approach to product development, or the approach to release, but I DO want the product, and I DO want it to be good.

Sometimes I have to.... deal with conflicts... in that. Because in the main devs that release shonky product (like anybody who releases shonky product) should... lose their jobs.

It leaves me more than a little frustrated. I want X5 (for the sake of argument). But..........
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Thu, 2. Apr 20, 00:54

RegisterMe wrote:
Thu, 2. Apr 20, 00:27
Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:
Wed, 1. Apr 20, 23:53
That was one thing I did expect. A bit like X games. I don't support the approach to product development, or the approach to release, but I DO want the product, and I DO want it to be good.

Sometimes I have to.... deal with conflicts... in that. Because in the main devs that release shonky product (like anybody who releases shonky product) should... lose their jobs.

It leaves me more than a little frustrated. I want X5 (for the sake of argument). But..........
I understand that. At least with Bannerlord they freely call it early-access. We all know the early access model is exactly what every Egosoft game for the last 2 decades has followed, but for whatever reason they don't use it and imo it hurts their reputation now.

Bannerlord at present is like an expensive graphic upgrade over Warband. But Warband had great mechanics with poor execution. My hope was that following the success of Warband, they'd have the budget to improve it in all areas but that's not the case. e.g. Enemy AI still just charges at you by default so there's not much in the way of tactics.
It looks like its going to be very reliant on modders to pick up the slack, unless major updates come along during its early-access stage.

Its still not bad, but its not much better than the game we already have, in its current state.
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 14. Apr 20, 23:57

A long time ago, I used to play Risk on a Win 95 computer. - Solo play, I loved it. - I've just noticed a new variant is buyable on Steam (available 'free' if you buy tokens rather than the premium game... Grrr!) and wondered if anyone had tried the full game?

And Monopoly is on there too, but has a 'mostly negative' score, although that may be down to the rage-quitting in the multiplayer element (it's just for solo play.) - Has anyone played that? - I'm likely to buy both in the days ahead, but comment beforehand would be appreciated. :)
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 15. Apr 20, 00:22

Gavrushka wrote:
Tue, 14. Apr 20, 23:57
A long time ago, I used to play Risk on a Win 95 computer. - Solo play, I loved it. - I've just noticed a new variant is buyable on Steam (available 'free' if you buy tokens rather than the premium game... Grrr!) and wondered if anyone had tried the full game?

And Monopoly is on there too, but has a 'mostly negative' score, although that may be down to the rage-quitting in the multiplayer element (it's just for solo play.) - Has anyone played that? - I'm likely to buy both in the days ahead, but comment beforehand would be appreciated. :)

Most of the games seem to have negative reviews I am guessing due to the ai. Maybe check out Warcraft or Age of Empires stuff?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 15. Apr 20, 01:24

burger1 wrote:
Wed, 15. Apr 20, 00:22
Gavrushka wrote:
Tue, 14. Apr 20, 23:57

Most of the games seem to have negative reviews I am guessing due to the ai. Maybe check out Warcraft or Age of Empires stuff?
Just played the Risk AI on Medium, and won quite easily. - I think it may not be quite as challenging as playing against human players, but it was still not bad. - I was looking at Age of Empires on Steam (think it was on offer) and might check out a gameplay video.

What I really, really want is for GOG to release Civ. Call To Power I, the best multiplayer turn based strategy wargame of all time. Incredible depth to the gameplay, and yet deceptively simple on the surface. CTP II was dreadful (even with community mods) by comparison.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 15. Apr 20, 20:27

Just finish Persona 5 Royal. Clocked in 110h and I was partially rush through it a bit.

What a ride. I enjoyed it, but not sure if I will ever commit to a 2nd run. :)

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 16. Apr 20, 22:05

@burger1 - Been playing Age of Wonders III, sure it was your recommendation, and now realise it was Age of Empires you'd suggested! LOL - Still, AOW seems reasonable, although I'm still low on the learning curve. - Watched some live gameplay of an early access roguelike, Stone Shard, Trollslayer, and might just pick that up. - Oh, and liked the look of 'The Evil Within 2' on GOG.

Rug
x4

Post by Rug » Sat, 18. Apr 20, 23:08

Ive been making the best of the lock-down by (finally !) playing through Baldur's Gate (the Enhanced Edition). Up to chapter 4 so far, and having a jolly romp.

Anyone else finally catching up on games they've been meaning to get round to for ages ?

That and walks from home are nearly keeping me sane, but it's a struggle sometimes too. Prozac and beta blockers have both been making an unwelcome re-appearance in the last few weeks. This can't end soon enough ... :(

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Tue, 21. Apr 20, 11:53

I've put a fairly unhealthy amount of hours into Fallout 76 the last few days. I bought a box & code a while back off Amazon to keep my box-collection up to date, but only started playing after the big recent patch that introduced human NPC's (and it came to Steam)... Ye gads its soulless. And that's with the people dotted around. They've done a great job with the world, and finally a Bethesda game feels like they hit the setting (My opinion: F3 & 4 were great for 20-50 years after the bombs dropped, but were pretty stupid for 200+ years post-apocalypse). 76 is set just 25 years post-war (Well, 26 now... Unfortunately, the latest patch assumes you've completed the original main quest and throws both at you simultaneously), and the locals died off just 5 years earlier for plot related reasons. It's overly heavy-handed, but it generally works... But... There's no life to it. It just feels flat.

The game feels like a tech-demo that got out of control and they polished it a little for public release. It's not bad, but it's far from good.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 23. Apr 20, 02:45

So went back to Bannerlord after finishing P5R the last few days, clock in about 20 hours now.

tl;dr: I don't think I'll able to go back to warband again.

Long version:

It's not because right now Bannerlord is head and shoulder above warband, it's just that once you see the new potential it's hard to go back. It's similar on how the X-series is for me. To this day X2 is still my most favorite, and I still wish Egosoft went with the plan of making X2+ rather than X3, but there were things that were offered in X3 that made it hard to go back to X2 (like factories complex). Or like X4R, despite it was a broken piece of crap at release, once I saw the potential there it was hard to go back and play X3 again. So Bannerlord is like that right now, you hope it will continue move forward because going back is not an option.

- Big battle: I fought my biggest battle today, I called it the battle for independence when 500 of my men go against 500 of the lord I declare independent on (and keep his city of course). That's a battle of ~1000, and by that I mean 1000 unit have a go at each others at the same time, not trickling in 100 at a time via reinforcement like warband. And it was ... smooth, no noticeable stuttering or lag. And I was playing on max graphic setting on a 5 years old CPU and a 3 years old GPU.

- Siege battle: it is a lot more elaborated now, I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm having a blast with them yet but it's no longer a simpleton like in Warband, as in 1 single entry. You have a full array of siege tower, rampart, battering ram, ladder, siege tower, ballista, catapult, trebuchet for both sides, and you can build multiple in one sieges. The AI still has to be developed more to utilize these tools effective (they're not exactly braindead right now though). But this is definitely a prime example of once I see how a siege battle here, I can never accept a siege battle in Warband ever again.

One thing I notice about the AI though ... is as weird as it sound, they seem to behave better the larger the battle get. In one of the battle I got sniped out of commission early when scouting even before the armies collide, so my troop were controlled by the AI. As I observed ... they control my troops way better than I do directly. :o . Each troop types are moved in separate formation, Calvary in flank, archer advance in front of infantry for better range, but immediately move back to 2nd rank and replace by infantry for the counter charge as the enemy get closer. Weird they control their own troop much worse, but I'm guessing is because my army is must more cohesion then AI's armies, which is their weak point. Safe to say though, you won't see this behavior fighting small battles or with bandits.

And there are tons of other QoL too:

- You can form proper army with other lords now, instead of trying to herding around like Marshal did in Warband.
- Your companions are more like real retainers now instead of just playing body guard/super soldiers. They can run caravan to makes money, do quests on your behalf, or leading their own party. The great part is on that last note, unlike Warband once you makes them a lord it's a one way ticket, here you can recall them back to your parties at any time.
- You can overcap your party for a limited time. That was how I had that 1000 soldiers battle, it was actually just me (120 cap) and my wife (80 cap). But the game let you put as many troop you want to lead in your party for a very short moment (maybe a day) to do emergency battles like this (fought them right outside of town). After a time all of your troops over the cap will desert you though, so you can't just walk around with them.

But yeah, so far I'm enjoying it. It turns out exactly what I expect for EA of this game: it feels like a really piece a crap, but I love it anyway. :D

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Fri, 24. Apr 20, 08:39

Rug wrote:
Sat, 18. Apr 20, 23:08

Anyone else finally catching up on games they've been meaning to get round to for ages ?

Crusader Kings 2 for me since it come free on Steam.
For long time I was skeptical towards the game since it was Paradox (truckload of bugs before the manage to clean it up after years of development) and seemed like a game in vein of Heart of Iron and Europa Universalis. It just felt that it would be a game I have played before so I always ignored it.

And then I watched a youtube playthrough by chance and realized it was more of dynasty simulator reaching game of thrones level of intrigue sometimes. However the big issue then was that the game had tons of DLCs costing tons of money too on the top of the price for the game, so once again I postponed the entire idea.
Then, as I said it was free on steam so decided to jump in...

In my latest gaming session I made sure that the two of my most powerful vassals are in civil war by granting them counties in each other duchies which their colleagues immediately tried to take over. This civil war involved eventually third of my vassals and breaking up a faction forming up against me and allowing me to role back the powers of council.

Also at same time my second wife tried to kill the son of the first wife (playing as Ummayads in Spain) so to ensure that her own son inherits me. Since my inheriting son is looking like he is preparing to take over my position, I have not yet decided whether to put my second wife in prison yet.
This all happened withing one hour of gameplay and I am having a blast :twisted:

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Sun, 3. May 20, 17:40

i only seem to play wow classic For many months now
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Return to “Off Topic English”