Playing other games

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Re: Playing other games

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 20. Nov 20, 16:03

RegisterMe wrote:
Fri, 20. Nov 20, 13:59
Mightysword wrote:
Fri, 20. Nov 20, 01:51
RegisterMe wrote:
Thu, 19. Nov 20, 04:37
I'd be playing X4 but for CK3. But that's a shitshow too, so...
Not sure what you mean by shitshow for CK3? I assume the usual bug gallor that usually come with Paradox games? I think it's pretty decent tbh, with very little trademark of typical Paradox's bug fest. I have 100+ hours in the game so far and I have only run into a few minor bugs, and none that impacted my experience.
I don't know how experienced you are with CK2, but CK3 still has lots of problems that maybe aren't immediately apparent eg:-

* Succession laws can be a mess, not helped by confusing tooltips and opaque combinations of family / province laws
* AI noble rulers don't spend anything developing their demesnes (but I think towns and bishropics might be ok?), and overspend on war.
* Related to the above every time an army converts to a fleet it costs gold, and the AI does a lot of this.
* Christendom invariably ends up a mess because every time some random bishop gets his hands caught down the pants of a choir boy it loses fervour, which contributes to continuous religious schisms in the Christian world. And a lot of bishops are up to no good.
* The Intrigue focus is a bit bust, and there are way too many illegitimate children running around.
* Female heredity laws are broken.
* Crusades are broken.

Some of the above may have been patched out (but not materially, the last time I checked), but all in all it detracts enough from the experience for me that I just don't want to play it yet.

At first glance, yes, it looked very polished but....
In my experience:
- Succession laws are confusing, but apparently working: provinces are split based on their military strenght, if I looked that right, starting from your primary heir down until every county is checked.
- In my experience, everyone develops their domain, but it takes time (they need to have *a lot* of money, way more than the cost of the expansion). They are indeed too prone to wage expensive wars, though.
- I think it's because of pathing: traveling by sea is usually faster, so they often chose to go there, ignoring the cost factor (and that is frequently an issue).
- Religious schisms are indeed to easy to trigger. I don't mean bishops should be caught down the pants of a courtier less frequently, but the fact even a small country priest could destroy religious fervour and induce a new faith to be founded is a bit too much.
- This aspect of the game is probably close to realism for those times, and yes intrigue focus is probably too effective in "creating bastards".
- Again, in my experience female heredity works, but there are too many matrilineal marriage to support this mechanic.
- Crusades are strange: you conquer the kingdom of Jerusalem, but usually you leave it abandoned to its fate, easy prey of the arabic empires and to how smaller holy wars are easy to trigger. In my game, we already conquered Jerusalem four times, yet in a few years the holy site is back under muslim dominion because nobody cares to defend it.

Another thing: I usually arrange marriages for my relatives and courtiers, but I find strange that nobody asked anybody to marry one of them. I always need to take the initiative, somehow...

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 20. Nov 20, 18:48

RegisterMe wrote:
Fri, 20. Nov 20, 13:59
I don't know how experienced you are with CK2, but CK3 still has lots of problems that maybe aren't immediately apparent eg:-

* Succession laws can be a mess, not helped by confusing tooltips and opaque combinations of family / province laws
* AI noble rulers don't spend anything developing their demesnes (but I think towns and bishropics might be ok?), and overspend on war.
* Related to the above every time an army converts to a fleet it costs gold, and the AI does a lot of this.
* Christendom invariably ends up a mess because every time some random bishop gets his hands caught down the pants of a choir boy it loses fervour, which contributes to continuous religious schisms in the Christian world. And a lot of bishops are up to no good.
* The Intrigue focus is a bit bust, and there are way too many illegitimate children running around.
* Female heredity laws are broken.
* Crusades are broken.
Some of the above may have been patched out (but not materially, the last time I checked), but all in all it detracts enough from the experience for me that I just don't want to play it yet.

At first glance, yes, it looked very polished but....
I didn't play CK2 at all, so I can't compared:

- It's hard to understand for sure, I personally had to make a few questions on the forum to have it explained to me. But once I do, I think it's working as intended, now I have a fairly good projection on how it plays out, as well as how I can game it. I actually introduce different type of law into different tittles to manipulate the outcome. Tbh, even after I understand it, I don't know how the wording can be better, after all these stuffs are confusing by nature at the time. That's why succession wars brought many kingdoms to its knee.

- I can see why that's an issue. I think human approach (or at least my approach) is turtle up. Meaning focus on getting economy building first, while the AI seems to be focus on zerg tactic. The way I play though, it's not an issue. Since I always start out as a count who has income in the low 1 digit range, so it takes forever for me to get up and running too. By the time I'm established, there are enough well developed big boys around me to keep it challenged + the pope and his freaking Crusade. It may sounds like an issue at the beginning, but over long term the impact isn't that big since the AI eventually develop. By mid game there is no shortage of 50k battle to fight.

- Agree on schism, but again, as someone who always go for my own religion it's not much of an issue for me.

- Agree on Intrigue (and I think they toned it down in the recent patch), I don't really play intrigue characters, and while I do see a bastard here and there it's not really rampant. It does annoy me a bit is whenever I dip into the intrigue tree there is a good chance my wife cheat on me.

- Don't see a problem with female heredity.

- Not sure what you mean by Crusade being broken?

So yes, probably due to my specific play style I don't see issue with it. Which is more than I can ever say for a lot of Paradox tittles in the early launch period where I may feel compelled to punch the screen sometime.
- I have never had a crash.
- The game does whatever I tell it to do.
- The AI throws enough stuffs at me to keep thing challenged and entertained.
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Fri, 20. Nov 20, 16:03
Another thing: I usually arrange marriages for my relatives and courtiers, but I find strange that nobody asked anybody to marry one of them. I always need to take the initiative, somehow...
Eh I have the opposite problem. As mentioned in earlier posts I'm a control freak who try to establish different house and bloodline, I wish everyone in my court just sit still and let me find the "perfect" partner for them. But they keep promising themselves to random hobos. In fact, my strategy is to find a random 0-3 years old child to betroed to "lock" my candidates down until more suitable partners become available. The last patch made it less like for a 6 years old prince be pair with 60 years old granny, which is a big plus.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 23. Nov 20, 08:53

Mightysword wrote:
Fri, 20. Nov 20, 18:48
Eh I have the opposite problem. As mentioned in earlier posts I'm a control freak who try to establish different house and bloodline, I wish everyone in my court just sit still and let me find the "perfect" partner for them. But they keep promising themselves to random hobos. In fact, my strategy is to find a random 0-3 years old child to betroed to "lock" my candidates down until more suitable partners become available. The last patch made it less like for a 6 years old prince be pair with 60 years old granny, which is a big plus.
This happens to me, sometimes. I think AI weights that kind of actions (marrying a child to an elder) based on alliance potential. It makes sense in the game, but I'm not sure it is realistic.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 24. Nov 20, 01:40

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 29. Oct 20, 09:22
And that is soooo funny, isn't it?
I once was planning to give my firstborn all my domain by disinheriting / denouncing his brothers. I was going to be so stressed, because I had traits like "Just" and "Forgiving"...
At some point in time, (and please note my favourite child was 14 at the moment) they started to get killed by someone... I investigated, spent a lot, and who was the serial killer? My Sadistic Cynical Genius heir, who started his tabula rasa with puberty... He killed three brothers and a couple of court members by the time he was 20.

And ... I just experienced my own tabula rasa, although I can't help but think it's my own design. :skull:

Think he's 3rd or 4th inline, so I disinherit him just like with others except the main heir. Once renown become free resources in late game it's just the most convenience way to deal with succession. I've been doing that for generations so I didn't think about it much any more. Sure they'll get pissed, but a few bribe, give them a piece of land and it's one big happy family again ... or at least that how it normally work.

This guy just happened to grow up earning a Phd in intrigue. It also happened he grew up around the time my old spy master kick the bucket, so he naturally got the position. And ... you probably can guess where the story go next. Years of inexplicable murders that systematically go through the court, even his mother wasn't spared. I couldn't figure it out, I had thought that it maybe him but he's sitting there at 100+ relationship, smiling and even invite me to his feast sometime. Then I remember spock's quote: "When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Apparently he still considered me his rival for dis-inheriting him all those years ago. :scream:

Afterward I wanted to change my dynasty motto to: Never forget, never forgive.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 24. Nov 20, 09:58

Well, I gotta say that Titanfall 2 is my favourite non-X game. I nearly abandoned after being unable to play the tutorial effectively with a controller... (How does anyone aim a damned gun effectively with a joystick?) ... Anyhow, I switched to keyboard and mouse which made controlling it far easier. I still brainfarted my way to a painful death many times while getting the hang of it, but the combination of powerful story and great gameplay is superb. - Thanks to Tycow for encouraging me to buy it.

I've just reached the point where I've retrieved the third battery, and now I'm in the Titan. - The only in-game issue I have is the enemy AI is sometimes a little poor, and the 'irritation' I face is every time I load the game, it goes back to windowed mode, even though I change it to full screen, and save changes.

A week Monday I'm ordering a new PC, a good one, and will buy a RTX 3080 after Christmas when stocks are hopefully a little higher and prices a little more palatable. - Will look to acquire another modern FPS with a strong story then as I understand Titanfall is not a very long campaign.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

CosmicVoyager

Post by CosmicVoyager » Mon, 30. Nov 20, 08:53

Working through my steam library recently, rl kept me busy so not many chances to play. But i'm playing persona 4 atm, really good game despite it's age.
Mightysword wrote:
Fri, 20. Nov 20, 01:51
Not sure what you mean by shitshow for CK3? I assume the usual bug gallor that usually come with Paradox games? I think it's pretty decent tbh, with very little trademark of typical Paradox's bug fest. I have 100+ hours in the game so far and I have only run into a few minor bugs, and none that impacted my experience.
As a Stellaris Vet i can safely assume that he means the bad MP peformance, usually riddled with desyncs and disconnects. I would be surprised if Paradox were able to pull off a stable MP in CK3, but i can only guess because i've only played eu4 and stellaris as mentioned. :gruebel:

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 30. Nov 20, 10:12

Never tried multiplayer in Paradox, but could be funny indeed.

By the way, the character designer is comically good: beautiful dwarves will conquer the world!

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 30. Nov 20, 11:12

Never tried multiplayer in Paradox titles too - they seem to intense and I'm far too laid back and slow paced gamer in those titles >.<

But I'd expect CK3, which is using the same engine (I believe) as HOI4 and likely Europa Universalis, to be an entirely different experience MP wise.

In other words, those titles were Paradox developed and have evolved over nearly a decade (undoubtedly with their own issues) and using a shared game engine have had plenty of development to get it right - whereas Stellaris is not inhouse afaik and uses an entirely different engine.

Of course, may be talking utter drivvel.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 30. Nov 20, 22:32

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 30. Nov 20, 10:12

By the way, the character designer is comically good: beautiful dwarves will conquer the world!
Question, does the facial genetic passed down to children? Or the children are still gonna be just generic culture based templates?

Even before the designer became available I never messed with custom ruler either since I don't see the point. The first generation last like ...3h top before dying out and a game tend to last at least a dozen generations.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 30. Nov 20, 23:38

Mightysword wrote:
Mon, 30. Nov 20, 22:32
Question, does the facial genetic passed down to children? Or the children are still gonna be just generic culture based templates?
Think facial genetics are passed down.
This is not what I'd normally expect a Scandinavian emperor to look like:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0d6lfp6rpyhsf ... 1.jpg?dl=0
Not exactly a "generic culture based template" for a Norwegian.

Though perhaps not particularly surprising since this was his mother:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6vvwwwscclpq ... 1.jpg?dl=0
...and his grandfather:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2mf4hiw9n7cb ... 1.jpg?dl=0

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 30. Nov 20, 23:57

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Mon, 30. Nov 20, 23:38
Think facial genetics are passed down.
This is not what I'd normally expect a Scandinavian emperor to look like:
Not exactly a "generic culture based template" for a Norwegian.

Though perhaps not particularly surprising since this was his mother:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6vvwwwscclpq ... 1.jpg?dl=0
...and his grandfather:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2mf4hiw9n7cb ... 1.jpg?dl=0
I think those are more due to the giant trait though, I think the apperance-alter traits apply a modifier to the templates, and not gene related. Have you compare the look without an appearance enhance trait?

The reason I think it's template based because there are games I went of my way to mix up the blood through multiple generation from different cultures. But the children seem always to come out looking like their culture template.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 01:18

Mightysword wrote:
Mon, 30. Nov 20, 23:57
I think those are more due to the giant trait though, I think the apperance-alter traits apply a modifier to the templates, and not gene related. Have you compare the look without an appearance enhance trait?
Bit tricky to do. It was those 2 African marriages which brought the Giant trait into the family line (on both sides initially to make sure it stuck) & all subsequent rulers have had it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/joe31zzi2l504 ... 1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hk9jmiox2m643 ... 1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/683dugtsf4b3x ... 1.jpg?dl=0
However it is perhaps significant that as time passed each generation's ruler has looked a little bit less African & a bit more typically European - subsequent marriages tended to be a bit closer to home. That's why I think each character's features are derived from their parents appearance, rather than just created from a generic cultural template.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 01:35

CosmicVoyager wrote:
Mon, 30. Nov 20, 08:53
As a Stellaris Vet i can safely assume that he means the bad MP peformance, usually riddled with desyncs and disconnects. I would be surprised if Paradox were able to pull off a stable MP in CK3, but i can only guess because i've only played eu4 and stellaris as mentioned. :gruebel:
I play Stellaris MP almost once a week with 4 other people on Huge (1000) map and the times we had sync issues were related to own internet connection problems.

MFG

Ketraar

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 08:59

Mightysword wrote:
Mon, 30. Nov 20, 22:32
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 30. Nov 20, 10:12

Even before the designer became available I never messed with custom ruler either since I don't see the point. The first generation last like ...3h top before dying out and a game tend to last at least a dozen generations.
They definitely do: at one point, I married with an african woman with good inehritable traits and compatible character: the cisalpinian-african children where clearly younglings from both worlds, with light skin and slightly bigger lips. One of them even had a darker skin (a middle ground between the white of the father and the milk-chocolate of the mother), and those traits were passing to grandchildren too, diluting them a bit. I kinda like how genetics works, it's pretty realistic (very simplified, of course) having a chance to inherit congenital traits and facial looks decreasing generation after generation.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 20:54

So if you create a dwaft with the creator, you can maintain a dwaft lineage through generations?

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 08:50

Mightysword wrote:
Tue, 1. Dec 20, 20:54
So if you create a dwaft with the creator, you can maintain a dwaft lineage through generations?
Yes, but dwarf gene decreases chances to appear through generations. This means if your child isn't a dwarf and his child isn't a dwarf, the gene gets lost (and has the standard smallish chance to appear in the following generations).
Breeding

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 19:25

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 3. Dec 20, 08:50
Mightysword wrote:
Yes, but dwarf gene decreases chances to appear through generations. This means if your child isn't a dwarf and his child isn't a dwarf, the gene gets lost (and has the standard smallish chance to appear in the following generations).
Breeding
Sorry for the confusion but I just realize we're not talking about the same thing lol. When you said "dwarf", I thought you meant you created a dwarf looking, and not the dwarf trait. To clarify: there is the gene (that long string you can copy from the designer), and there are traits (beauty, genius, amazonian, dwarf, giant, albedo ...etc...). It's not the trait I'm concern about.

My question is about the gene that passed down, so if I create a character with a unique gene, would it be possible to maintain that gene through generation without it turning into a generic template?

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 08:38

Mightysword wrote:
Thu, 3. Dec 20, 19:25
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 3. Dec 20, 08:50
Mightysword wrote:
Breeding
Sorry for the confusion but I just realize we're not talking about the same thing lol. When you said "dwarf", I thought you meant you created a dwarf looking, and not the dwarf trait. To clarify: there is the gene (that long string you can copy from the designer), and there are traits (beauty, genius, amazonian, dwarf, giant, albedo ...etc...). It's not the trait I'm concern about.

My question is about the gene that passed down, so if I create a character with a unique gene, would it be possible to maintain that gene through generation without it turning into a generic template?
Oh, ok sorry!
It should work as the traits work, so it's not granted you're maintaining it through generations.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 15. Dec 20, 20:41

New Mass Effect trailer was released. The game is in early development.

https://youtu.be/Lg-Ctg6k_Ao

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 15. Dec 20, 23:45

burger1 wrote:
Tue, 15. Dec 20, 20:41
New Mass Effect trailer was released. The game is in early development.

https://youtu.be/Lg-Ctg6k_Ao
I wonder if it's Liara at the end (her face looks really similar). If that's the case it means we're back to the original storyline, don't mind they abandon the Andromada story line after that disasterclass.

Return to “Off Topic English”