What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Aye Capn
x3tc

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by Aye Capn » Wed, 17. Oct 18, 19:47

Any Better Call Saul fans here?

It's not science fiction, but it does feature a kind of anti-hero with the superpower of persuasion -- and the legal stuff is dead-on accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG29zeyWn58

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 16:46

Aye Capn wrote:
Wed, 17. Oct 18, 19:47

It's not science fiction, but it does feature a kind of anti-hero with the superpower of persuasion -- and the legal stuff is dead-on accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG29zeyWn58
I watched a few of the first episodes and enjoyed it. But, yes, I'm one of the few mammals that did not see the "Breaking Bad" series. (Please, don't throw anything at me.. :) ) So, there are some bits of storyline content and references that I don't understand.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 17:03

Morkonan wrote:
Sat, 20. Oct 18, 16:46
(Please, don't throw anything at me.. :) )
I'll run deflection.

I don't like Breaking Bad.

There we go. All power to forward shields!

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 19:32

It looks like Luke Cage has been cancelled also.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/luke-cage- ... 202486487/

Currently watching The Good Place and I'l probably watch the current and last season of The Big Bang Theory. In Canada free to watch on global tv and ctv. In US free to watch on Yahoo View, CBS and NBC.

Freddy72nz
x4

Post by Freddy72nz » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 19:59

Antilogic wrote:
Sat, 20. Oct 18, 17:03
Morkonan wrote:
I'll run deflection.

I like Breaking Bad, just finished watching the series for the second time.
I don't know anyone else that does like it, none of my friends or family have any interest in it. But then I have no interest in all the superhero bollocks that they like.
Oh well, can't please everyone. :)

I am currently re watching Better Call Saul Seasons 1-3, to refresh my memory before I watch the latest series.

Does anyone remember Rake? An Australian series with another anti-hero lawyer, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rake_(Aus ... TV_series). That was a fun one too.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 21. Oct 18, 05:28

Antilogic wrote:
Sat, 20. Oct 18, 17:03
Morkonan wrote:
I'll run deflection.

WAY TO GO ANTILOGIC! :)

Star Trek did something similar, IIRC, but I couldn't remember enough of it to find the scene. :D

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Tue, 23. Oct 18, 03:04

Morkonan wrote:
Aye Capn wrote:
Wed, 17. Oct 18, 19:47
I watched a few of the first episodes and enjoyed it. But, yes, I'm one of the few mammals that did not see the "Breaking Bad" series.
I actually prefer Better Call Saul. There is a richness to the characters, a better cross-section of different people going about their lives, from squeaky-clean and surprisingly loyal BigLaw guy ("Hamlindigo Blue" is a registered trademark!) to tough guy ex-cop to the "glue" in between, "Slippin'" Jimmy McGill -- on his long downward slide toward becoming Saul Goodman.

Chuck is a good character, too. He's right, objectively speaking, but we all hate him anyway. (Does anyone actually like Chuck?)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 23. Oct 18, 07:09

Aye Capn wrote:
Tue, 23. Oct 18, 03:04
I actually prefer Better Call Saul. There is a richness to the characters, a better cross-section of different people going about their lives, from squeaky-clean and surprisingly loyal BigLaw guy ("Hamlindigo Blue" is a registered trademark!) to tough guy ex-cop to the "glue" in between, "Slippin'" Jimmy McGill -- on his long downward slide toward becoming Saul Goodman.

Chuck is a good character, too. He's right, objectively speaking, but we all hate him anyway. (Does anyone actually like Chuck?)
I enjoyed what I saw of it. But, it was one of those situations where I wasn't sure what I was supposed to already know or if they were keeping something from me on purpose. :) Now, I'd have to go back and binge it to catch up, I guess. And, I don't have any streaming media services except what my cable company has set up. (I could probably just check what they have on it and might get be able to binge it all. Licensing stuffs, though, might prevent that - Off-current-season episodes might not be available.

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Thu, 25. Oct 18, 02:48

Think of the Breaking Bad viewer's experience as seeing Easter Eggs and the occasional in-joke, although most of the in-jokes are cultural or even metacultural (like a strange homage to the Fallout series with the Ink Spots opener, and maybe even a direct homage to Fallout 1 since Saul is "exiled from the Vault" so-to-speak working at the Cinnabon.)

Don't worry about missing out. Better Call Saul is a different story than Breaking Bad with only a few of the same characters, and since it's a prequel you aren't missing anything seeing it new.

You kinda know "Slippin' Jimmy" wins the war over Jimmy McGill's soul and he transforms into the "criminal" attorney Saul Goodman even without Breaking Bad. There's foreshadowing everywhere.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 25. Oct 18, 12:53

So I watched "The Haunting of Hill House" (on Netflix, a 10 Episode original series) with the wife.

And I enjoyed about 80% of it. For the most part it's a very solid horror series that managed to be properly creepy and outright terrifying in places without an over-reliance on jump scares or gore the latter there is VERY little of, almost none in fact. It is VERY tropey, you often have the feeling of "Ooooo whats the thing they're the stealing that idea from!" without often being able to pin it down because what they're riffing on are broad tropes rather anything hyper specific. This aspect is well done and as a horror fan I enjoyed it. The end of episode 5 in particular was horrifyingly brilliant, despite the fact I saw this twist coming about 15 minutes out . . . . the way it was done, Christ that will stick with me a while.

What I didn't like was the last two episodes, the ending essentially. I'll outline why in spoilers below, MAJOR spoilers BTW, seriously don't read if you want to watch the show.
Spoiler
Show
Ok things I liked about the ending first:
- They killed a child onscreen, and whats more lingered over the fact of her death. So few shows have the courage to do this and it was refreshing to see it.
- The open sequence showed an older Steve recollecting the events about to be shown which perhaps implied him as the sole survivor . . . . this was then revealed to be the house screwing with him. I liked this little subversion of trope / expectation.

Ok things I didn't like:
- It was essentially a happy ending and an overly saccharine one at that, I didn't necessarily want everyone to end up dead and it could still have ended "happily" without having lost the darkness which made the rest of it so good.
- Nell and her husband. Their relationship was depicted as an exceptionally good / happy one, his death was established as a major trauma for her likely the one which set her on the course to revisiting the house and resulted in her death. The house also uses her husband as the fulcrum upon which it tricks her into death, implying that if she stays/dies she can be with him. This being a LIE was critical to the horror of that moment. She then becomes the "bent-neck lady" a deeply traumatised ghost like so many of the others depicted as haunting the house.
But we get to end and Nell's ghost is suddenly sweetness and light, saving her siblings, telling them that all is forgiven and they all love each other.
Then we get the scene implying that the dead Nell and her dead Mum and Dad are going to get a kind of happy ever after.
No mention at all of her husband, the love of her life, his loss and her despair and trauma. It makes NO sense, he's essentially being erased from the plot which is problematic both from a story telling perspective and from that of his being the only black character. Uggggg.
- The ease with which the Dudley's accept their daughters death. The couple are depicted as having a love/hate relationship with the house and THE primary focus of their life has being keeping their daughter safe from both it and the world at large, to the point of raising her in virtual isolation. The house via Oliva then kills her, and then they go from the hysterical reaction you might have expected to "Oh, it's ok shes a ghost now, we just want to happy with our ghost daughter" within the space of about 90 seconds. It's ridiculous.
There may have been backstory which explained this, its hinted at and I can head canon some such reasons but it was never shown. The Dudley's story in general was very under explored, so much of their behaviour needed more to have it make any sense. I wonder if this is were a prequel might go.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Fri, 26. Oct 18, 19:04

just watched MARVEL'S DAREDEVIL: SEASON 3 it was fantastic
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 29. Oct 18, 09:36

Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Fri, 26. Oct 18, 19:04
just watched MARVEL'S DAREDEVIL: SEASON 3 it was fantastic
On my list that one.
Glad you thought it was good. . . the general consensus seems to agree with you.

I watched Episode 1 of "Chilling Adventures of Sabrina", new Netflix show based upon "the teenage witch", but You can forget the Melissa Joan Hart stuff this is going for a much darker vibe. Apparently in line with the more recent comics but I know nothing about those. My one line review:

"Meh . . . . it hasn't lost me but hasn't really grabbed me either"
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 13:05

Magic Numbers: Hannah Fry's Mysterious World of Maths

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bn9dth

Interesting exploration of whether maths is fundamental to the universe, or a construct that we use to try and understand the universe :).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 23:52

The Little Drummer Girl on BBCtv

- another of Le Carre's ace spy tales.. 8)
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Wed, 31. Oct 18, 21:57

Someone needs to make a Punisher-only editor's cut of Daredevil.

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Mon, 5. Nov 18, 13:53

i recently discovered the series The Expanse and after watching just the first episode decided to binge watch the thing "fantastic"
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 5. Nov 18, 15:41

Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Mon, 5. Nov 18, 13:53
i recently discovered the series The Expanse and after watching just the first episode decided to binge watch the thing "fantastic"
The books are good too (at least until they get a little bit too "main character saves the universe, single handedly, again").
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 5. Nov 18, 16:42

Speaking of the Expanse, guess there's still no news of a UK broadcast date for season 3?

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 5. Nov 18, 17:53

pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 5. Nov 18, 16:42
Speaking of the Expanse, guess there's still no news of a UK broadcast date for season 3?
All I found was something suggesting that if it followed the same "delay to Netflix" as the other seasons it would be out in October 2018.
I guess not. . . . . . soon then?

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 5. Nov 18, 20:59

Bishop149 wrote:
Mon, 5. Nov 18, 17:53
pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 5. Nov 18, 16:42
All I found was something suggesting that if it followed the same "delay to Netflix" as the other seasons it would be out in October 2018.
I guess not. . . . . . soon then?
Amazon has it now. So far season 3 seems to be available to buy from amazon. It will probably be a while before it's free with prime video?

https://www.amazon.com/The-Expanse-Seas ... B07BNVJK3R

Return to “Off Topic English”