What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bishop149
x3

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 2. May 19, 16:16

Ketraar wrote:
Thu, 2. May 19, 15:35
Spoiler
Show
Loved the Dothraki extinction scene, the look on the face of the people as they saw these feared and legendary warriors extinguish in a few minutes was gold, loved it.
I must admit that whilst overall the episode was fun to watch and the end deeply satisfying various the following aspect annoyed the hell out of me and somewhat broke my immersion.
Spoiler
Show
Exactly HOW incompetent are we supposed to accept the commanders at Winterfell are?

- Who the hell commits 100% of their cavalry to the vanguard?
- Who the hell deploys the van without ANY support at all.
- Who the hell would charge at an enemy whose position they can't even see?
- Who the hell deploys artillery IN FRONT of the infantry?
- Who the hell deploys pikeman like that?
- Who the hell keeps NO RESERVE AT ALL.
- Who the hell, when defending a fortified position, deploys the majority of their force OUTSIDE the fortifications.
- Did they even have any archers? The time for those is NOT when the enemy is at the walls.
- They had a good few minutes of the enemy advance being completely halted by the ditches . . . . how was this capitalised upon? Staring contest. This is when that cavalry you held in reserve on the flanks would have been useful, huh?
- And let no even get in to how the WMDs (the dragons) were utilised.
UGGGGGGGGG

I have run through a few justifications for all this.
1) The night before the battle all the commanders appeared to spend the evening getting drunk and singing songs.
2) They didn't actually have any seasoned battle commanders, except:
- Jamie Lannister, not considered trustworthy enough, wasted in the infantry.
- Grey Worm, a former slave likely lacking the confidence to assert to his queen that he should probably be taking command of strategy.
- Tyrion. . . not a battle commander as such but good at planning and pulling off clever surprises at key moments. . . . I assume he ran out of ideas.

The real reason of course is that the show was more concerned with spectacle than making sense, to which I'd propose that it is possible to do both.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 2. May 19, 16:38

Yes there are some oddities but one I fell makes sense
Spoiler
Show
The Dotharki are not really strategic and they got a confidence boost by the flames, then thought they were invincible and just did what they always do, charge!
The army deploying outside was the whole point, the whole plan was to loose and lure the Night King to Bran, this only works if you engage the army head on, though their plan started to crumble as they didnt anticipate the true power of teh night king, especially with the whole fog and re-raising the dead.
Still its a fantasy show with dragons and magic, it making sense is always going to be secondary, especially as we reach the end, they seem to have the need to cram as much as they can into every frame, which can lead to some of the issues mentioned. Still it was awesome and at anytime (mostly due to prior episode) one could feel that anyone was up for being killed at any point, which was great tension

MFG

Ketraar

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Thu, 2. May 19, 17:37

FYI i'm shouting The Expanse SEASON 1/2/ AND 3 ALL UP ON PRIME
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 2. May 19, 17:40

Ketraar wrote:
Thu, 2. May 19, 16:38
Yes there are some oddities but one I fell makes sense
Spoiler
Show
I'm not sure the actual plan was to lose on purpose . . . . it read more to me that they thought losing was perhaps the most likely outcome and that their best shot was to take any opportunity to have a pop at the Night King that might present itself, with "He'll probably go for Bran" as kinda the last ditch chance at this . . . . they then notably failed to keep the Dragons in reserve near Bran which was the contingency for this.

Despite the fact that they earned it through luck rather than good planning I did the love the "Dracarys" moment. . . mostly because I knew deep down it wouldn't work.
"Dragonfire will work, right?" has ALWAYS been an assumption based largely on the fact that things with "dragon" in the name tends to be effective "dragonglass", "dragonsteel" etc but never once in all the histories did they explicitly find a reference to Dragons themselves being effective.
I deeply enjoyed how this assumption bit them on the ass.

Bran was an interesting one, it's clear he knew EXACTLY what was going to happen and did the absolute bear minimum to facilitate it.
I'm not sure I approve, I'm sure Bran could have contrived the same outcome whilst minimising the casualties somewhat . . . . at the smallest possible scale he could have saved Theon simply by saying "Theon, don't!" but instead he chose to grant Theon the redemption and death he clearly wanted.
But then I think this all is meant play to how inhuman Bran is meant to have become, he no long cares about people, he cares about their grand narratives.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Tue, 7. May 19, 23:54

Just finished The Tick season 2, good fun. Gonna start watching new series of iZombie soon. Tried getting into American Gods season 2, it just isn't working like the first one. Not sure why. I watched the first series of Tin Star, too, which was quite good. Again, season two just didn't quite have it.

Oh, and new series of Taskmaster tomorrow! Will have to break out my stamp! :mrgreen:
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 8. May 19, 07:52

esd wrote:
Tue, 7. May 19, 23:54
Tried getting into American Gods season 2, it just isn't working like the first one.
I never actually got into season 1--I think I lasted 4 episodes before bailing out. Can't put my finger on what I didn't like about it. Oh, and yay yes for Taskmaster, although they're not showing the episodes a week in advance on UK TV Play like they have done for the last few series, not sure why.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Mon, 13. May 19, 22:16

Taskmaster e1 was good. Turned out I recognized more of them than I thought!

Norsemen on Netflix. Surreal, gory, incredibly polite... And really watchable!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 13. May 19, 22:35

esd wrote:
Tue, 7. May 19, 23:54
...Tried getting into American Gods season 2, it just isn't working like the first one. Not sure why...

I tripped over series 2 too. I think it was the slow reveal of the hidden world in series 1 that kept me gripped, and it was always gonna be a tough ask to continue that into series 2.

I'm watching Angel (Buffy spinoff series) for the third time in the last couple of decades, and thoroughly enjoying. Series 2 was a little slapstick in places, but I've just started on series 3, and it's picked back up.

There was a pilot for a series I watched on Amazon a year or two back about a preacher leaving Earth for a colony on Mars, and am wondering what's happened to that. - Really did leave it on a cliffhanger.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 14. May 19, 03:02

Mythica 1-5 available free with ads on vudu, tubi tv and paid on hoopla and prime video. Star Trek movies 1, 2, 3 and 5 are free with ads on tubi tv. For US region tubi tv added a bunch of old shows like Hercules, Xena, Magnum PI, etc...

It looks like the new Picard Star Trek series will available exclusively on Prime video outside the US. Canada will get it on Space/Crave tv and the US will get it on CBS All Access.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/amazon-sta ... 202613248/

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Tue, 14. May 19, 12:30

Ghosts on the BBC.

A nice silly programme from the original "Horrible Histories" team.

Taskmaster is best watched on catch-up as it doesn't seem to have as many adverts.
A flower?

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Wed, 22. May 19, 22:31

I record Taskmaster and skip the adverts! Old school!

Judge Romesh starts in half an hour, new series. Good silly fun.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 22. May 19, 23:03

Mission Impossible Fallout on Canadian Netflix. I wasn't bad in my opinion. Quite a few mission improbable events and not a real brain teaser but it wasn't bad. The special effects were pretty good.

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Fri, 24. May 19, 14:07

been binge watching Battlestar Galactica on prime and its still a great show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VBTcDF1eVQ
GA-7N400 PRO2
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 24. May 19, 18:00

Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Fri, 24. May 19, 14:07
been binge watching Battlestar Galactica on prime and its still a great show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VBTcDF1eVQ
One of my favorites. I have all disks. Though I wish last 20min of the show didn't exist... And for me maybe that don't
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sat, 25. May 19, 15:03

Shadow (Netflix), set in Johannesburg, About an ex-cop turned Merc. Quite good, if it does nick a couple of plot points from Criminal Minds and Jack Reacher.

Judge Romesh was funny... Had to try a case between his mum and wife.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sun, 2. Jun 19, 00:45

Montalbano's back - series 6
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01cbq6b
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sun, 2. Jun 19, 17:10

Three episodes into Good Omens - it's pretty good!

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 3. Jun 19, 19:25

esd wrote:
Sun, 2. Jun 19, 17:10
Three episodes into Good Omens - it's pretty good!
The rest is good as well. Watched it in two days, quite enjoyable.

A bit weak at the end comparatively to the rest of the show. But still fun.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 4. Jun 19, 19:05

this episode of Columbo is a joyous exercise in cinematography:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPpj1GEzgpY

- right from the off Peter Falk gives a brilliant performance - great cast..
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Wed, 5. Jun 19, 19:42

The Handmaid's Tale: Season 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcTvQx1Wot0
GA-7N400 PRO2
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Return to “Off Topic English”