What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chips
x4

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by Chips » Wed, 20. May 20, 22:28

Been watching Escape to the Chateau DIY.

I now want to buy a Chateau. For... whatever.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 21:15

The award winning Anime film Your Name is on Netflix highly recommend it if you have not seen it before.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Wed, 10. Jun 20, 20:55

The Last Ship series 5 has popped on Prime!
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 11. Jun 20, 00:36

esd wrote:
Wed, 10. Jun 20, 20:55
The Last Ship series 5 has popped on Prime!
Oh neat. I'll probably sit down and watch that. It's decent, and technically accurate (as far as the operation and tech on the ship is concerned), but one thing that really bugs me about the show is that no crew in the history of the Navy has ever been as rigid to the sort of boot camp like discipline as is depicted in that show. Other than that, I really do like the show. Very nostalgic for me.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 11. Jun 20, 09:20

Especially for non americans, I suggest watching BlacKKKlansman.
It's a good movie in my opinion, with more than average actors, which tries to keep the attention high with its little shots of comedy while trying to explain a lot of things on past and current racism in the US.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 14. Jul 20, 00:09

Rewatching the whole Space Battle Ship Yamato series, and by that I mean starting from the original back in in 70' till now including the live actions. With a stretch that long it's pretty much on marvel level in term of the number of reboot/re-imagination with different iteration now. And damn gotta say, if you have to reboot a franchise, this series show you how to do it. There is enough change to keep things fresh, yet it doesn't change the original impression or impact, and it consistently does it over almost 5 decades now is really impressive.

Personally I think the story is always cringy, and I would even call bad in some instance, but the script, characters and animation always carry it through. Wonder if there will eventually someone who make a space game with battle look like this.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 21. Jul 20, 07:35

Been watching "The Boys" on Amazon. This is one messed up show and if we actually had people with super powers irl, this show would be a documentary instead.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 21. Jul 20, 11:16

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 21. Jul 20, 07:35
Been watching "The Boys" on Amazon. This is one messed up show and if we actually had people with super powers irl, this show would be a documentary instead.
I had to think of that show when I heard rumours that they were planning to turn Worm the web serial into a show. If that ever happens keep your eyes out for it as it will (if they stay true to the source material) a lot darker and more grounded than even the boys.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 21. Jul 20, 17:05

Doom Patrol season 1 on prime video Germany region. It reminds me of Dirk Gently. It has bizarre twists and turns and events.

Killjoys season 4 on prime video UK (might be leaving on the 22nd?) . It was probably the better season. Once again some plot twists and intrigue.

NBC Peackock streaming service has also launched in the US. It has at least one new scifi show and some older ones. The service has launched with a variety of free stuff including Jurassic Park 1-3, BSG stuff and more.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 23. Jul 20, 08:59

Yesterday I watched the first episodes of The Orville on Amazon Prime.
It's a sci-fi show which vaguely reminds me of Star Trek, but with a more comical style. I liked the first episodes, some good laugh.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 23. Jul 20, 21:25

Watching season 2 of "How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast)" on Netflix right now.
A hilarious, self-mocking series based on a true story of a 17 year old nerdy student founding a dark-net drug empire with his friends.
Can highly recommend :)

2 seasons, 6 episodes each, ~30minutes each.
[No nudity | Spare cursing | Spare violence | Drugs]

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 28. Jul 20, 09:57

Just finished watching season 1 of the Umbrella Academy on Netflix. It's kind of like what the X-Men movies could have been if they were actually good instead of just trading on an IP's title. Season 2 of the series is kicking off this Friday. Worth a watch if you're into dysfunctional people with super powers.
rebellionpac.com

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 31. Jul 20, 14:21

The Umbrella Academy, Season 2 :)

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 31. Jul 20, 17:15

So I watched the Martian on Netflix and all I can say is, where the hell did he get the potatoes from. Honestly can you see anyone taking a bag of potatoes all the way to Mars, even to do experiments there are far better things to take than a heavy potato. Have you ever kept a potato for any length of time, they go off pretty quickly but his looked liked they had just been bought from a supermarket 5 minutes beforehand. Not to mention the growing, I don't know if you have ever grown potatoes, I have some growing in a bags right, now they need about 18 inches deep soil to grow in, he was doing it in about 4 inches. Not just that the length of time it tales to grow them is several months, it looked like he did it in a week, we planted ours in March, April time and they are not ready yet. lastly, the poop part would not have worked, maybe if he had mixed it into the soil to spread it around would have worked but not how he did it would almost certainly not work. Saying that I did quite enjoy the film.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 31. Jul 20, 17:38

Tamina wrote:
Fri, 31. Jul 20, 14:21
Just finished it. Was quite pleased! This has probably been one of the more imaginative TV shows I've seen in a while.
rebellionpac.com

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 31. Jul 20, 19:42

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 31. Jul 20, 17:38
Just finished it. Was quite pleased! This has probably been one of the more imaginative TV shows I've seen in a while.
The premise of "the world is going to end, again! Here are the same but developed and therefore boring characters from Season 1, again!" is just not selling it to me, yet. Season 2 seems like the same story all over again, without the mystery, the wonky broken characters and the beautiful camera work from season 1 - yet!
The problem are my high expectations, probably. :D

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 1. Aug 20, 07:58

Tamina wrote:
Fri, 31. Jul 20, 19:42
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 31. Jul 20, 17:38
The premise of "the world is going to end, again! Here are the same but developed and therefore boring characters from Season 1, again!" is just not selling it to me, yet. Season 2 seems like the same story all over again, without the mystery, the wonky broken characters and the beautiful camera work from season 1 - yet!
The problem are my high expectations, probably. :D
I think you'll see it's not that simple =p I wont spoil but I will say the show is more about the journey and less about the destination.
rebellionpac.com

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sat, 1. Aug 20, 16:02

Morkonan wrote:
Tue, 1. Jan 19, 10:09
Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Tue, 1. Jan 19, 09:55
i just started watching the outpost its fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D1qR2xZ3dY
Please, please, please be good... Please don't be "90210 with Dragons." :)
Recently finished watching season 2 of this. It was a struggle tbh, fast-forwarded/skipped portions just to get it over with. I kept wanting to like it, which is why I kept watching, it had some interesting ideas but again the writing is just awful. I can tolerate the low budget fight and CGI scenes, even the overacting of most characters could be looked over, but the writing is just bad, its STD bad.

Not sure if done on purpose but soon it became clear that women were the heroes here, strong women mostly in charge even though they keep saying that its a man's world. Thats not a bad thing though, its the shoehorned delivery of it that is atrocious, no subtlety whatsoever, it took me out of it every time. I kept thinking they were trying to get a Xena Princess Worrior type vibe but had no clue what made Xena good. Still this was not the worst thing, what infuriates me and makes me wish to get the time spent back, is the bad character development. Characters do stupid shit all the time, as with STD, they want to portray strong women, but then write them to do things so out of character it pisses me of. The main character dies like 5 times and is saved every time, most of the times by men, most of them with no skill to do so.

Shoehorned love triangles that have the chemistry of dry sand, people switching interest on a whim, people being betrayed to then go back and trust them in minutes to the get betrayed again AND BE SURPRISED FOR BEING BETRAYED AGAIN!!!

Yes this is outdated and probably no one even heard of this show, but again a good example on how NOT to write and develop characters.

/rant

MFG

Ketraar

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 1. Aug 20, 20:57

Tamina wrote:
Fri, 31. Jul 20, 14:21
Started it last night and finished it this morning :D .... Super cool!

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Sun, 2. Aug 20, 09:17

Started the Magicians, still unsure if it's worth it.

Return to “Off Topic English”