What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by Tamina » Thu, 30. Jan 20, 22:52

Sex Education - Season 2 on Netflix

Funny, relaxing series in a school about insecure kids but nothing for even slightly prim people.

Finally a good British series that I can watch in English, again. My English went down the drain in the last one/two years, at least I think it did, due to a lack of training. US media is a terrible example, not even to speak of understanding it in the first place. :D
Clear and lovely British accent. <3

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 02:02

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Thu, 30. Jan 20, 18:18
Episode 2 is up. The intrigue is palpable. I really think they're nailing it.
I have put my thoughts on Picard here since its a dedicated topic anyway, might as well keep it there.

MFG

Ketraar

Solomon Short
x4

Post by Solomon Short » Sat, 1. Feb 20, 10:55

Tamina wrote:
Sat, 25. Jan 20, 10:02
Currently watching Seven on Netflix. Some kind of Chinese animated show. Sometimes international shows have this interesting uniqueness.
Can I hit you up for a link to this please?

'cos none of my search results have been Chinese or Animated, & when I specified "Netflix* I got the movie with Freeman, Pitt, & Spacey.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 1. Feb 20, 14:54

Solomon Short wrote:
Sat, 1. Feb 20, 10:55
Tamina wrote:
Currently watching Seven on Netflix. Some kind of Chinese animated show. Sometimes international shows have this interesting uniqueness.

'cos none of my search results have been Chinese or Animated, & when I specified "Netflix* I got the movie with Freeman, Pitt, & Spacey.
I didn't got the name right. The series is called "Scissor Seven" (Original Chinese title is "Killer Seven"), it is a Netflix Original. :)

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Solomon Short
x4

Post by Solomon Short » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 02:24

Tamina wrote:
Sat, 1. Feb 20, 14:54
Solomon Short wrote:
Sat, 1. Feb 20, 10:55
Tamina wrote:

I didn't got the name right. The series is called "Scissor Seven" (Original Chinese title is "Killer Seven"), it is a Netflix Original. :)
Thank you!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 6. Feb 20, 18:25

Netflix have just released a lot of good anime that is worth watching.

No game no life (series and) no game no life zero (film)
My hero academia two heroes (film) I would recommend watching the series first, at least the first series to get to know the characters (free to watch on crunchyroll).
Love, chunibyo & other delusions (series)

High school D x D (series) (had to put in the spaces between D x D as if I didn't I was getting a weird url link to an Egosot faq on dxdiag as the following shows.) [url=http://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/faq_answer_en.php?answer=610&version=8][b]DX[/b][b]D[/b]iag[/url]

Noragami (series)
They have also released nearly all of the films made by Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli. That's a fair few good anime films worth watching.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 6. Feb 20, 19:36

felter wrote:
Thu, 6. Feb 20, 18:25
Netflix put A LOT of Anime in their list, lately. Indeed. To me they all suffer from the same problems: Endlessly stretched and bland storytelling, low production value, always the same characters, fan service, nosebleeding and an expontential breast growth rate of female characters. The need to always raise the tension with every episode causes an inflation of character development.

As you can tell I am not a fan of anime but my friend likes them a lot, not to say way too much.
Can you recommend any good anime you would say works for non-anime lovers?

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 6. Feb 20, 19:40

Tamina wrote:
Thu, 6. Feb 20, 19:36
felter wrote:
Thu, 6. Feb 20, 18:25
Netflix put A LOT of Anime in their list, lately. Indeed. To me they all suffer from the same problems: Endlessly stretched and bland storytelling, low production value, always the same characters, fan service, nosebleeding and an expontential breast growth rate of female characters. The need to always raise the tension with every episode causes an inflation of character development.

As you can tell I am not a fan of anime but my friend likes them a lot, not to say way too much.
Volume 1 and 2 of Sword Art Online, I really enjoyed those. The spin off, Gun Gale Online was decent as well.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 7. Feb 20, 02:35

Tamina wrote:
Showing my age here a bit, but stil my favorite anime series is Star Blazers, though I 'm not that much of a anime consumer anymore. Its dated sure, but there is no odd growths happening and the characters are just great, also its sci-fi.

MFG

Ketraar

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 7. Feb 20, 04:40

I doubt anyone here would be interested, but I have been watching Vampire the masquerade tabletop games for years.
Los Angeles by Night is a tabletop Vampire the Masquerade (VTM) game that has been running for a while, and the new series just started, here :- https://www.twitch.tv/videos/544987086

Another option for this kind of thing also started recently, which is being done for the run up to the release of Bloodlines 2 (Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2) :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8T6GEuHSUY

I love this stuff, maybe someone here will discover a new way to enjoy roleplay games. I play this game in real life (my other half DMs my games/is my storyteller) so im extra interested by these productions, and i recommend this hobby to anyone :)

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 7. Feb 20, 05:20

Tamina wrote:
With what you said I doubt that is possible.

I missed one on my previous post that is worth watching on Netflix:

Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon (series)

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 7. Feb 20, 09:52

felter wrote:
Fri, 7. Feb 20, 05:20
Tamina wrote:
With what you said I doubt that is possible.
Great :D I hope my subjective opinion wasn't formulated too harsh.

I think I am going to try Sword Art Online followed by Ketraars suggestion.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Fri, 7. Feb 20, 12:57

A lot of the Studio Ghibli films (if not all) are available on Netflix now.
A flower?

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 8. Feb 20, 19:51

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Thu, 6. Feb 20, 19:40
Tamina wrote:
Volume 1 and 2 of Sword Art Online, I really enjoyed those.
We are at the end of the first chapter (Volume I, Episode 14) and I have to admit it was quite enjoyable :D I think we have a winner right here :D
At first, I was worried when in episode 1 the typical anime tropes started popping up, already.* And when the younger probably underaged sibling erotic tension started happening in Episode 4 - Japanese people have a serious serious problem. However, I cared a lot for this girl and also for the rest of the cast, so I was kind of hooked to the storyline. The ever changing character sets and environments even within one episode alone keeps the show interesting. It has an ending as well. :D

Thank you. :)

* This would make a great drinking game. :)

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 8. Feb 20, 21:13

Sword art online season 3 (Sword Art Online Alicization ) isn't too bad either but I quite enjoyed season 4 (Sword Art Online Alicization War of Underworld) more, it only finished screening a few weeks back. There is also a season 5 and 6 in the works right now too. Not to forget the film Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale. Season 3 and 4 are on Crunchyrol, while the film is on Netflix along with season 1 and 2.

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Sun, 9. Feb 20, 10:56

The final season of HomeLand has started https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eLT82JYsP4
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 10. Feb 20, 10:11

Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Sun, 9. Feb 20, 10:56
The final season of HomeLand has started https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eLT82JYsP4
Thanks for the heads-up, I now realize I have missed season 7 completely. :gruebel:

MFG

Ketraar

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 10. Feb 20, 15:18

Tamina wrote:
Sat, 8. Feb 20, 19:51
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tamina wrote:
We are at the end of the first chapter (Volume I, Episode 14) and I have to admit it was quite enjoyable :D I think we have a winner right here :D
At first, I was worried when in episode 1 the typical anime tropes started popping up, already.* And when the younger probably underaged sibling erotic tension started happening in Episode 4 - Japanese people have a serious serious problem. However, I cared a lot for this girl and also for the rest of the cast, so I was kind of hooked to the storyline. The ever changing character sets and environments even within one episode alone keeps the show interesting. It has an ending as well. :D

lol you're very welcome. Just a warning about volume 2. I'll try to be vague as possible without spoiling but there was a thing that almost made me stop watching it.
Spoiler
Show
The antagonist gets really really creepy, like, should be on "to catch a predator" creepy.
. I suffered through it and still enjoyed it, however!

I haven't followed up on it in a while, but I believe a volume 3 is in the works.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 12. Feb 20, 02:33

Sword Art Online is really the only decent anime I would recommend for people less familiar with anime. I'm nearing 8000 episodes watched (University and post-graduation unemployment ftw?) going by my MAL profile (see sig), so can say with some confidence that the vast majority of anime is total trash.
There are the classics, like Neon Genesis Evangellion, Steins;Gate and Clannad+After Story which nothing comes close to, while 95% of anime shows reuse the same tropes and twists, like the studios throw up some labels into the air with tropes written on them and just make a show out of whatever lands face up, disguising lack of narrative quality with cute art instead.

Not sure if any of these are on Netflix, but I'd recommend anything rated 10 on my MAL list, then if you've still not had enough, go for the 9s: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Sorat ... 4&order2=0

I finally signed up to Netflix recently, and watched season 1 and 2 of 'Dark' (not anime), which is a pretty good if not slightly hard to follow sci-fi. About to start 'The OA' next.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 12. Feb 20, 14:24

Tamina wrote:
Sat, 8. Feb 20, 19:51
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tamina wrote:

I can't believe I completely forgot... watch RWBY. The first few volumes are up on Netflix and Amazon. That's another anime I would highly recommend. There may be others, but this is the only one that I'm aware of that's produced in the US. There's another new one that Rooster Teeth is producing, Gen: Lock. Also really good. You would have to catch season 1 on Youtube, for now. Season 2 is going to air exclusively on HBO's new on demand service they're rolling out this year, I think.
rebellionpac.com

Return to “Off Topic English”