What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by Tamina » Sat, 1. Jan 22, 03:47

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 31. Dec 21, 13:35
IMO, Witcher season 2 is a total letdown.
I know *nothing* about The Witcher universe but I totally loved season 1. And was disappointed by season 2 a lot as well. It felt like an unmotivated filler without any tension. It failed to build up any tension for all major ground breaking events in the story.
mr.WHO wrote:
(if entire season would be like first 2 episodes, then S2 would be on par with S1):
So much this. Episode 1 was a blast!! With its very own little story arc and interesting characters.
mr.WHO wrote:
Oh, the second and the last good thing of Season 2 is that they got rid of Season 1 unchronological mixed timelines.
I thought the timelines were really clever. The confusing part was that there were nearly no indications when the times changed, and to when and where. The latter is still a problem in season 2 for non-Witcher-veterans. But if you make it to the end, everything starts to make sense and I thought it was very rewarding :)
mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 31. Dec 21, 13:49
If anything from Netflix 2021 is worth endorsing it would be Arcane.
I liked Arcane by a lot as well. Even though, I disliked that the fights were pure show, like a wrestling match. They were logic bending as hell and the characters behaved unrational, both very obviously to keep the tension up.*
BUT HOW COOL IS JINX?!? I LOVE JINX SO MUCH! SHE IS CRAZY, BUT COOL, AND CUTE, BUT CRAZY AND COOL, and the ending was sooooooo gooood. :D

*What is up with that anyway, every anime seems to have millions of these disposable copy pasta people with the sole purpose to be slaughtered by a single person - every episode a couple hundreds more to keep the inflation of the tension at bay. I can't take the "military" or "police" seriously when they are beaten that easily, makes me question the entire background universe.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 17:13

Peacemaker on Crave tv Canada. Its a quirky superhero tv series. Offshoot of the movie The Suicide Squad. Kind of like the quirkiness of Doom Patrol in a way.

quirky opening credits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mrr3UNALww

Book of Boba Fett. Kind of bland but explains what happened to Boba Fett after the Return of the Jedi fight.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 02:29

I had heard of Sword Art Online Abridged before, but I had never watched it, probably as it is not on any of the mainstream anime sites (crunchyroll, funimation) the other day there on YouTube's recommended list was a new episode of SAO Abridged and when I looked into it there was the current 16 episodes to watch, so I did. So what is SAO Abridged, it's a fan made parody of SAO where they have taken the original series re-edited it and added a new voice-over it's the same original SAO story just told differently and it's so good, and I highly recommend watching it.

Sword Art Online Abridged 16 episode playlist
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 03:45

I watched Archive 81 on netflix. Its a slow burner, theres just something about it - I think its well acted and it was fairly entertaining tbh. Worth a watch perhaps if you have nothing else to do.
euclid wrote:
Mon, 18. Oct 21, 23:31
Watched Dune yesterday and am a little disappointed. Not even sure why. Maybe because it has a hard time to compete with the 1984 version or because it is only part 1 which does not cover the "good stuff". I do not mind multi-part movies (The Matrix, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings etc.) and do appreciate that the entire story has not been squeezed into 2.5 hrs. (the very first concept by Jodorowsky was aiming for a 6+ hrs movie). I'll wait for part 2 (or even part 3) before making any further comments ;-)

Cheers Euclid
For all the hype I was utterly disappointed by this film. Im obviously a huge scifi fan and I just thought it was total tripe. The artistry is great and all, but thats just about all I enjoyed about it... totally forgettable and overhyped. People act like its blade runner or something, and for the artistry ide see where they were coming from, if it wasnt as deep as a puddle.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 8. Feb 22, 00:16

Felt a little lost after watching the last episodes of The Expanse, so I've started on series one of 'Seal Team' and am watching 'The Gilded Age' each week on Sky. Gotta say, I'm reasonably impressed with Seal Team, but absolutely delighted by the Gilded Age.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Tue, 8. Feb 22, 13:24

Watched Roland Emmerich's Moonfall (recommend a big screen) and enjoyed it although I felt it was a little pushed (2hrs is not that long; could have been 3hrs) ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 8. Feb 22, 13:47

Heh, one of the UK movie critics recently said about Moonfall something like 'Take all the recent disaster/extinction event films, smash them all together, throw all science and logic out of the window, and sit back and really enjoy the ride on the biggest screen and sound system you can use.'
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 8. Feb 22, 17:21

@Alan
Sounds like a good summary of the last 2 years then - if one needs a summary that is.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 11. Feb 22, 14:03

Netflix Kominsky Method (as I repeatedly say, I'm behind the times by several years). I've found it amusing whilst addressing things most programs wouldn't.

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Sat, 26. Feb 22, 17:47

i f***ing love this scene here: ( :D )

https://youtu.be/ojWbip26nQs?t=246

there's another one: ( :rant: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyyGgcR ... loTomasi86

by the way, "gone girl" on netflix is also quite good
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 26. Feb 22, 19:50

The first season of Legend of Vox Machina is on Prime. It is an animated fantasy series based on the webseries Critical role featuring a group of voice actors playing Dungeons & Dragons. It captures the RPG feeling really well. Second season has been ordered by amazon already.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 27. Feb 22, 19:08

Think someone told me to watch 12 angry men, did so, it was indeed very good - so thanks :)

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 28. Feb 22, 09:21

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Sat, 26. Feb 22, 19:50
The first season of Legend of Vox Machina is on Prime. It is an animated fantasy series based on the webseries Critical role featuring a group of voice actors playing Dungeons & Dragons. It captures the RPG feeling really well. Second season has been ordered by amazon already.
Yeah, watched a couple of episodes, and thoroughly enjoyed it. - And you've just reminded me to get back and watch episode 3!
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 28. Feb 22, 15:20

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Sat, 26. Feb 22, 19:50
Is this something non Dungeons & Dragons and RPG knowledgables can enjoy as well? :)

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 28. Feb 22, 19:38

You don't need any background knowledge.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 28. Feb 22, 20:00

Then I will have a look. :)

Currently I am watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine 😄 It has a new season! 😁 The first couple of seasons were fire imo but the later ones are mild entertainment. Maybe I am just getting older... :gruebel:

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 9. May 22, 16:43

Some people here recommended these. So thank you for that, I enjoyed them a lot
- Dune on Sky Ticket
- West World on Sky Ticket

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 9. May 22, 17:15

Currently Watching Outer Range, odd suspense drama with Josh Brolin on Prime Video. 3 Episodes in and I quite enjoy it. Watched 1st episode of Strange new Worlds, which was reasonably good. It at least felt like decent sci-fi/Trek, though I will keep my optimism in check until a few more episodes.

MFG

Ketraar

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Mon, 9. May 22, 19:04

Better Call Saul, last season. It is spin off series from Breaking Bad that is surprisingly good.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 9. May 22, 19:18

Does somebody know a good movie in 4k, HDR and Dolby Atmos? The streaming service doesn't really matter. We want to inaugurate (is that the right word?) the new home cinema of a friend but I don't have anything of that so no idea :D

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Return to “Off Topic English”