What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 27. Mar 19, 23:15

Ketraar wrote:
Wed, 27. Mar 19, 22:59
Mork, its a silly comic book movie that may inspire people to see women as empowered, there is no need for it to be the solution to all inequality. :-P
But, there is a growing segment of internetz commentators and popcorn munchers that are claiming just that.

"Everything" that doesn't take much effort, like sitting in front of a screen and preaching the gospel of the latest "Strong Female Lead Movie" is getting a Social Justice Warrior Treatment.

In this instance, I'm not decrying Social Justice Warriors that are, in fact, doing Social Justice Warfare'ish stuff that could actually force positive change. I'm talking about the lazy slobs sitting back and making claims that they've "done something" by either making, watching, or being a fan of a movie that has a female lead in it... It's a movie. It's a comic-book-hero movie, as you said.

But, holy crap, the outrage is palpable in some places if you dare to say "this movie sucks."

A couple of days ago I was talking with a friend about "these are the movies I really don't have a desire to see." Common discussion among friends, right? No problem, nothing inflammatory, just "another list of things I'm not excited about." In that list, which was a discussion of all the darn crap I'd have to watch in order to get "up to speed" on the Marvel Universe timeline just to watch the latest friggin Marvel Compilation movie... was "The Black Panther."

"Yeah, I don't have any desire to see that Black Panther movie, either."

<uncomfortable silence>
<laughter in response to my previous witticisms trails off>

See?

Maybe you can, maybe not, it all depends on just how forced the idea of "Equality" has been pushed in your culture/group. But, instead of "elevating" any concern or "doing something in the name of progress" the effect the radicalization of these efforts opposes those intents.

The concept of "Movies as Social Commentary For Their Own Sake" is being taken to extremes and people are starting to identify the worth of their own personal efforts being judged in regards to how fervently they support the latest Social Justice Movie regardless of whether or not it's a good movie.

And, the studios are loving the heck out of that because that means they don't have to make a good or even a very sensible movie in order to earn box... They can guilt you into giving them money.

PS - I'll lighten any further responses, since I know I'm a blowhard an' all. :) Other people should have a chance to post on teh interwebz without having to scroll past my own. :)

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 28. Mar 19, 00:26

I understand what you mean and I agree on what you are saying, I just choose to ignore it and move on with my life. In context with superhero movies Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel are a long time due, just for the sake of sanity to have SOMETHING different. Even Black Panther, which is even more of so of a mediocre movie, was important and for the representation it provided worth watching, especially for those that identify with what is shown on screen.

I prefer a silly John Wick myself for the silly action and mind shutdown type movie, as its crafted more interestingly then most marvel movies, but they later "make" people go so they have a greater chance to have SOME influence in portraying different aspects of our societies. I'd much rather people go see 2001 but not many will muster the patience for a 4h drag of masterpiece cinema, because they are not out for that.

Hence why its OK to say "Captain Marvel is a 6/10 movie that portraits a female here that has a chance to have some positive impact on the young, on how to perceive woman" There needs not be much more depth, it does not require to be the all out solution, all it needs to do is entertain people and if they get inspired too, thats a bonus. I really dont care if the studios make money or not and how noble their cause is. I rather a person helps other for selfish reason than not helping at all.

MFG

Ketraar

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 28. Mar 19, 00:59

Most of my European friends are watching The Parliament Channel, because it's the best comedy they can get.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Thu, 28. Mar 19, 10:18

RegisterMe wrote:
Thu, 28. Mar 19, 00:59
Most of my European friends are watching The Parliament Channel, because it's the best comedy they can get.
LOL but it is true
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Thu, 28. Mar 19, 11:19

@Mork

My youtube page for reasons i don't really understand got flooded with youtube videos whose titles made it look like this was going to destroy society and castrate all men, then a whole plethora of titles that made claims about how disney or marvel where jumping through hoops to skewer the perception of the succes of the movie all because of its feminist agenda (a dude's channel named the quartering stood out cause i at least already knew of his existance (i now know what those incels i've heard about are like), i couldn't get through any of those vids, then i went ahead and went out of my way to see the the other side, wasn't to impressed with them either.

There however are also plenty of reviews who stay away from all that and just review for what it is, and to be honest i haven't seen those get attacked by either side of the narrative, that seems logical to me, the far left would be more focused on a reviewer that said: "the scene where she does the dishes is the only good scene in the movie", while the far right will focus more on the "this movie finally breaks the mold" on the other side.

Bottom line as usual:

It's not what either side of the isle is trying to tell you it is, it's something along the middle and more importantly it's nothing new.

Actually something i keep noticing about all those talking heads on youtube is that they like to pretend everything they think they have figured out is some newfangled modern concept we should be very worried about when in fact what they figured out has been around for exactly as long as humanity has been around.

Im pretty sure had that quartering guy lived in the sixties he'd be very upset pretty much all the time.

Im currently re-watching stargate and stargate atlantis, im pretty sure had atlantis f.e. been relevant today some people would be very worried about the political agenda behind putting Weir or Carter in charge of Atlantis. But that's a very minor example, as long as there has been art it has been used in every way for every political agenda (remember how fond hitler was of cinema and what could be achieved with it) So i submit to you that this is A: not a new phenomenon B: it;s not worse than it has ever been nor will it get to that point. C: we have simply gotten more vocal about such narratives due to the ease of communication these days and have got more time to worry and be angry about such things due to our increasing welfare.
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 28. Mar 19, 11:36

Grim Lock wrote:
Thu, 28. Mar 19, 11:19
Im currently re-watching stargate and stargate atlantis, im pretty sure had atlantis f.e. been relevant today some people would be very worried about the political agenda behind putting Weir or Carter in charge of Atlantis.
I think the difference here is that people that watched Stargate, Star Trek and the likes were already predisposed to be open to "different" things, also most were niche (aka nerds) and in comparison not as many. The amount of people that are somewhat interested and/or dragged to be involved with Marvel movies is just so insanely huge that it encompasses a lot of people that are not really set to consume this type of content. Then there are all the rest that puts up stuff for the clickbait, since sensible middle of the road videos hardly "trend" so people put these up just for the clicks (this tactic is also not new and not exclusive to movies).

MFG

Ketraar

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Thu, 28. Mar 19, 11:45

Ketraar wrote:
Thu, 28. Mar 19, 11:36
Grim Lock wrote:
Thu, 28. Mar 19, 11:19
Im currently re-watching stargate and stargate atlantis, im pretty sure had atlantis f.e. been relevant today some people would be very worried about the political agenda behind putting Weir or Carter in charge of Atlantis.
I think the difference here is that people that watched Stargate, Star Trek and the likes were already predisposed to be open to "different" things, also most were niche (aka nerds) and in comparison not as many. The amount of people that are somewhat interested and/or dragged to be involved with Marvel movies is just so insanely huge that it encompasses a lot of people that are not really set to consume this type of content. Then there are all the rest that puts up stuff for the clickbait, since sensible middle of the road videos hardly "trend" so people put these up just for the clicks (this tactic is also not new and not exclusive to movies).

MFG

Ketraar
Fair enough not the best example, but besides that (you do get what i was getting at) i think we are pretty much making the same point.
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Sat, 6. Apr 19, 17:03

anyone watching "dead pixels" on e4, i find its quite funny.

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Sat, 6. Apr 19, 19:06

just been watching the new series of THE 100 season 6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTwy1E6CW4w
GA-7N400 PRO2
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 7. Apr 19, 03:46

Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Sat, 6. Apr 19, 19:06
just been watching the new series of THE 100 season 6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTwy1E6CW4w
A friend of mine watches that show. I'll let 'em know. :) I watched it during a binge session with them once and couldn't get into it. Something was "off" there and I don't know what it was. It just wasn't very engaging for me. But, my friend liked it, so there ya go.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 7. Apr 19, 22:45

Thinking about starting to watch Hanna TV Series - found the film enjoyable (in that brainless action entertainment way), and curious how they'll spin it into a TV series.

Reality is I'm waiting for GoT and this could be filler for a few days while in bed.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Mon, 8. Apr 19, 01:02

The Santa Clarita Diet is back for Season 3 on Netflix - just can't get him being agent 47 out of my head. Retirement really is rough!

The Tick is also back on Amazon - will be starting Season 2 soon!

Val Helsing Season 3 on Netflix was ok... I s'pose.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 8. Apr 19, 06:34

Season 1 Episode 1 of Doom Patrol is free to watch on space.ca. Canada region locked.

https://www.space.ca/show/doom-patrol/e ... t/1628586/

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 8. Apr 19, 18:41

Chips wrote:
Sun, 7. Apr 19, 22:45
...Reality is I'm waiting for GoT and this could be filler for a few days while in bed.
^-- This. Though, I'm not in bed. (sick?)

I assume there will be a grand finale "Game of Thrones - The End" thread? Can't wait to start armchair theorizing! (Survivors = Tyrion, Jon, Arya, Bran and that's it. Everyone else is gonna die.... :) )
esd wrote:
Mon, 8. Apr 19, 01:02
..The Tick is also back on Amazon - will be starting Season 2 soon!...
So, is Peter Scwrtwtpriu2r8'itz <sp> as good as Warburton was for that starring role? Warburton was fantastic and a perfect "Tick" IMO.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Mon, 8. Apr 19, 22:55

esd wrote:
The Santa Clarita Diet is back for Season 3 on Netflix - just can't get him being agent 47 out of my head. Retirement really is rough!
Well those ten episodes seemed shorter than ten episodes...
Morkonan wrote:
Mon, 8. Apr 19, 18:41
esd wrote:
..The Tick is also back on Amazon - will be starting Season 2 soon!...
So, is Peter Scwrtwtpriu2r8'itz <sp> as good as Warburton was for that starring role? Warburton was fantastic and a perfect "Tick" IMO.
Dunno how he is in comparison, but he does do a rather good job.

Rorschach is great as The Terror, though.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 9. Apr 19, 16:16

It looks like classic Doctor Who will be coming to Pluto tv.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/p ... 203183188/

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 10:37

so it seems game of thrones returns this sunday i had no idea its been all over the damn news this morning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlR4PJn8b8I
GA-7N400 PRO2
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 20:58

Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Wed, 10. Apr 19, 10:37
so it seems game of thrones returns this sunday i had no idea its been all over the damn news this morning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlR4PJn8b8I
Yup! And, I "had an idea" but forgot how close the premier was. I've been watching the run-up rescreenings of the previous seasons. They're showing every day up to the premier, so catch up if you can. (Not like I haven't already watched a lot of seasons in order to get my "fix" already. It's just some extra foreplay for Sunday so I can get in the mood. :) )

I am praying they don't screw it up... I'm a little apprehensive now that they've mentioned the "Soprano's Finale" : Game of Thrones Showrunners Worried About Ending.

Just ... no. "Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning..."

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 15:37

I started watching Season 1 not long back - it was amazing how much I had forgotten. So much more story than I remember :D

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 00:15

Chips wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 15:37
I started watching Season 1 not long back - it was amazing how much I had forgotten. So much more story than I remember :D
I finishes reading the series... again, awhile ago. It's also amazing that the HBO rendition has "more story" in it than the books do. The books are great, but the level of detail the producers have gone to in order to develop the characters has actually proven to put more meat on the bones of the story.

Like many, I'm heavily invested in it... I know I'm gonna scream at the TV when The Hound dies, 'cause you just know they're going to kill him off... the bartards. :/

Return to “Off Topic English”