What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

burger1
x3tc

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by burger1 » Tue, 9. Apr 19, 16:16

It looks like classic Doctor Who will be coming to Pluto tv.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/p ... 203183188/

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 10:37

so it seems game of thrones returns this sunday i had no idea its been all over the damn news this morning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlR4PJn8b8I
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 20:58

Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Wed, 10. Apr 19, 10:37
so it seems game of thrones returns this sunday i had no idea its been all over the damn news this morning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlR4PJn8b8I
Yup! And, I "had an idea" but forgot how close the premier was. I've been watching the run-up rescreenings of the previous seasons. They're showing every day up to the premier, so catch up if you can. (Not like I haven't already watched a lot of seasons in order to get my "fix" already. It's just some extra foreplay for Sunday so I can get in the mood. :) )

I am praying they don't screw it up... I'm a little apprehensive now that they've mentioned the "Soprano's Finale" : Game of Thrones Showrunners Worried About Ending.

Just ... no. "Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning..."

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 15:37

I started watching Season 1 not long back - it was amazing how much I had forgotten. So much more story than I remember :D

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 00:15

Chips wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 15:37
I started watching Season 1 not long back - it was amazing how much I had forgotten. So much more story than I remember :D
I finishes reading the series... again, awhile ago. It's also amazing that the HBO rendition has "more story" in it than the books do. The books are great, but the level of detail the producers have gone to in order to develop the characters has actually proven to put more meat on the bones of the story.

Like many, I'm heavily invested in it... I know I'm gonna scream at the TV when The Hound dies, 'cause you just know they're going to kill him off... the bartards. :/

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 01:05

I got maybe... 20%? through the second 'Game of Thrones' book before giving up. It was far too windy, long-winded and depressing for me. I'll pick up the final boxset when it's released, but I doubt it's gotten much better.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 03:19

On the plus-side, I just watched the first episode (And ten minutes of the second) of Ash vs The Evil Dead (ended last year) and... It was both hilariously good whilst being astronomically bad. It was both a tongue-in-cheek tribute whilst being its own thing. But it did depend largely on being an Evil Dead and/or Bruce Campbell fan... The last time I saw a level of fan-service that high was amusingly enough the Burn Notice film, starring... Bruce Campbell! .. He owes good taste many, many favours….

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 12:31

Golden_Gonads wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 19, 03:19
On the plus-side, I just watched the first episode (And ten minutes of the second) of Ash vs The Evil Dead (ended last year) and... It was both hilariously good whilst being astronomically bad. It was both a tongue-in-cheek tribute whilst being its own thing. But it did depend largely on being an Evil Dead and/or Bruce Campbell fan... The last time I saw a level of fan-service that high was amusingly enough the Burn Notice film, starring... Bruce Campbell! .. He owes good taste many, many favours….
Season 3 of Ash vs Evil Dead still isn't out on US/Canada netflix. The episodes vary quite a bit. Season 2 episode 2 The Morgue has a fairly disgusting scene.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 19:12

Tremors tv series available free to watch on youtube

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/355535 ... e-viewing/

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 14:57

just watched this LOW budget movie Solis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq1K68wK37U
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 23:15

Golden_Gonads wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 19, 01:05
I got maybe... 20%? through the second 'Game of Thrones' book before giving up. It was far too windy, long-winded and depressing for me. I'll pick up the final boxset when it's released, but I doubt it's gotten much better.
It is enjoyable, but damn it moves slow... I really appreciate it for its origins and its attention to theme. BUT, dangit, there's not just a tiny bit of too much something-not-happening in it.

In some cases, that's not terrible. Martin builds up some things to happen and some goals to be met and some controversy or drama in everything. It's good, that way. But, it builds up a lot of things and then... they go away in favor of Tyrian going romping around somewhere for little purpose other than just to go build up some other thing that will, eventually, not really have much of a purpose either. That's why it's five books, soon-to-be-more-books-eventually-but-probably-not-until-the-HBO-series-is-concluded.... with not a whole lot happening yet.

The HBO series... That's a grand-tapestry. Sure, they're different mediums, but B&W have really woven some intricate threads in that series. They've done a superb job of actually taking an original story and moving it into more dimensions than it originally contained. That's very unusual for a book-to-series translation. Most fans of a book are disappointed that some things didn't make it into a screen production. B&W just said "screw it, we're going over here" and did it. That literally leaves Martin often saying "I wish I had thought of that." Literally... he's said it multiple times and appears to be pretty tickled/happy with some of B&W's choices.

The one thing I just don't get is the whole friggin' "Sparrow" thing. It's useful for just a couple of things, but really doesn't have a purpose on its own and does not push the main story very much. Yet, it has a huge effect in the HBO series and somewhat in the books so far, IIRC. And, as far as the books are concerned, the whole "Dorn" thing and the scenes/chapters that focus on it is dumb and useless except to kill some people off on a boat or something. /huh?

Anyway, the books are worth reading, but you'll likely be more directly entertained by the HBO series. I'm shocked at myself for saying that, but I think it's true.

PS - Today is the day, people! Who's gonna start/add-to the Game of Thrones thread?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 15. Apr 19, 08:06

Basically, they tried to start up the Dorn plotline from the books in the TV series, and failed, so they rapidly killed everyone off and pretended it never happened, more or less. We have no idea what the outcome of that plotline is...or was...planned to be in the books.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 16. Apr 19, 19:34

pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 15. Apr 19, 08:06
Basically, they tried to start up the Dorn plotline from the books in the TV series, and failed, so they rapidly killed everyone off and pretended it never happened, more or less. We have no idea what the outcome of that plotline is...or was...planned to be in the books.
I lol'd... That's pretty darn funny. :)

"Let's go to Dorn!"

<Seasons Later>

"On second thought, let's not. 'Tis a silly place."

I don't know that there is a plotline involving Dorn. A few bits and pieces here and there and some suggestion of Dorn being instrumental in the war for the throne, but... nowhere is there any room for that. There's no "time." There are two books left and while the HBO series has certainly surpassed those in plot, it'd be tough just to squeeze half of the HBO series into the last two books.

I think Dorn was a "see how big the world is" addition. "Gotta have some "Epic" in an "Epic Fantasy" after all." There are several bits in the books where it didn't make a darn bit of difference if they were halfway around the world or next-door having tea with the neighbors. Daenarys <sp 'cause screw it. Thank goodness she's not an 'Efl.> at least is faraway because she wants to get back to the Seven Kingdoms. That's a "reason" for her to be "far away."

In the HBO series, they "talked" a lot about Dorn and its culture. Whenever anyone does that in a film/TV it's because they're not going to "show" that culture. (Show vs Tell) The same goes true, somewhat, for writing. But, in the series, they were quick to contrast Dornish culture when the Dorn characters had the opportunity. And, every time they did that it told me we weren't going to see any of it... so why the heck were they there in the first place? :)

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 19. Apr 19, 15:41

this little gem:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0444653/?r ... f_=nv_sr_1

Keeping Mum.. (2005)
a 5-Star movie..
brilliantly funny.. :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 22. Apr 19, 16:18

this is a great series - itchyboots continues her journey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwhbOEgMc8Q
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

berth
x4

Post by berth » Mon, 22. Apr 19, 23:03

Just started watching Westworld S1 on Now TV (which we signed up to in order to watch GoT). Only 2 episodes in but so far so intriguing.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 23. Apr 19, 19:06

So Game Of Thrones is back.

Is anyone watching, or it's too main stream for the thread? ;)
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 23. Apr 19, 19:27

Watched the 2 new Episodes, feel it has been slow considering its 2 out of 6 final episodes and not really much happened plot wise, but I feel next week s***t will hit the fan.
Bit disappointed due to over-hype, hope the remaining ones are worth it, otherwise the internet will explode (maybe it explodes regardless).

MFG

Ketraar

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 23. Apr 19, 22:14

fiksal wrote:
Tue, 23. Apr 19, 19:06
So Game Of Thrones is back.

Is anyone watching, or it's too main stream for the thread? ;)
I intravenously inject "Game of Thrones" episodes every Sunday...
Ketraar wrote:
Tue, 23. Apr 19, 19:27
Watched the 2 new Episodes, feel it has been slow considering its 2 out of 6 final episodes and not really much happened plot wise, but I feel next week s***t will hit the fan.
Bit disappointed due to over-hype, hope the remaining ones are worth it, otherwise the internet will explode (maybe it explodes regardless).
While I respect your opinion, of course, and one is surely allowed to prefer certain sorts of stories, I have to say that you're completely wrong... :)

They have been moving the development of all the character stories and interactions at a breakneck speed for these past two episodes. They have been focused on tying up loose ends and stopping further rambling arcs in their tracks. Entirely. They are tidying up all the characters, their relationships, cementing the "important" stuff and giving some resolution for bits that fans really want. That's what all that "slow" stuff was. They've given the viewer "closure" on every single character, sometimes pairs, sometimes more than one, in most those scenes. Where they have not done so, they've obviously left those questions and plots as fodder for the rest of the series. Heck, they even brought in Lyanna Mormont to talk to Jorah... If any fan wondered "OMG Wat will happen when Jorah and Lyanna meet?" they were answered in a few seconds of film. Just a few seconds, a quick nod of the head and that entire possible arc is asked-and-answered in one short scene. _Done_

What they're doing is isolating "The Big Things." These are the things that weren't just neato-interesting-drama stuffs between and about characters during the series. ie: "The Plot." So, for instance, when the final credits roll you won't be wondering "So, what was that whole thing with Arya and Gendry? I mean, there was something possibly there and now we'll never know and dangit I HATE THEM FOR NOT SHOWING TEH WHAT IFF!" :)

The proof? How many "New Season, New Plot/Mystery/Drama Storyline Starts" has there been? The answer is one in two parts that could be connected.
Spoiler
Show
Daenarys<sp> bloodthirsty hankering for total domination of the Seven Kingdoms and the revelation of Jon's lineage and the conflict presented by his possible claim coupled with Sansa's concern over how Daenary's <sp> views The North. This, either all of it or both parts, is obviously going to be resolved, somehow, this Season. No real additional tidbits except a certain rogue who now has a crossbow and a mission... I have no idea why in the heck they did that, since it's unnecessary drama and I can't see it as being very interesting. But, Bron is a very popular character so that may be the only way they could think of to get him out of King's Landing and into the finale. The man better end up with a castle...

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 23. Apr 19, 22:29

Yes I'm aware they were tiding up and all, still 2h worth of tidying is a bit much, move it along already. As for the Arya Gnejry thing is exactly a good example of a forced scene, we didnt really need to see that side boob, yes she go laid, good for her, still not relevant at all. I mean its like convention worth of people giving nods, this could have been done in 1 episode, 2 is stretching it imho. Anyway, its done now and it was not bad, just that waiting 2 years for having 2h worth of fan service is really annoying.

MFG

Ketraar

Return to “Off Topic English”