What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 23. Feb 19, 01:51

esd wrote:
Fri, 22. Feb 19, 11:36
Wolf and the debat! Clarence! Poor Winks.
Morkonan wrote:
Thu, 21. Feb 19, 21:40
There's a recent offering that I've been meaning to look out for, but I can't remember a darn thing about it. It's supposed to be pretty "edgey" though, not for family audiences. (Violence, some twisted sort of anti-hero characters, etc.) Anyone?
Glass? (Sequel to Unbreakable with Jackson/Willis)
I've seen Unbreakable, but the other movie about the guy with MPD that kidnaps/tortures a bunch of cheeleaders... I haven't seen that one. I am not sure I want to see it. :) "Glass" looks good though and I loved Unbreakable!

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 23. Feb 19, 04:34

Tamina wrote:
Mon, 18. Feb 19, 19:47
If you haven't watched "The Umbrella Academy" on Netflix already, you should immediately.
Wife and I just finished watching it. Excellent show! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 19. Mar 19, 03:23

I know some of you like your documentaries, I stumbled onto this short documentary today and I thought some of you may like it, it's only 23 minutes long and it's about some special Nepalese Honey. All I can say is those guys have some pretty large balls of steel.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 19. Mar 19, 19:28

Watched Captain Marvel yesterday night and just wanted to say that if you are going to see IW Endgame then its worth seeing this one, but its not great. Entertaining 2h mostly to get to know the character.

OK movie with some interesting ideas that never shine, they crammed a LOT of exposition and basically 3 origin stories. This is like an episone between the 2 parts of Infinity War.

6/10

MFG

Ketraar

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 19. Mar 19, 19:57

Ketraar wrote:
Tue, 19. Mar 19, 19:28
Watched Captain Marvel yesterday night and just wanted to say that if you are going to see IW Endgame then its worth seeing this one, but its not great. Entertaining 2h mostly to get to know the character.

OK movie with some interesting ideas that never shine, they crammed a LOT of exposition and basically 3 origin stories. This is like an episone between the 2 parts of Infinity War.

6/10

MFG

Ketraar
Thanks, I was urged to go into this movie but now I am definitly saying no. Paid way too much already for these movies. :)

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 19. Mar 19, 22:12

I think if you have young(er) kids take them, its a good movie for them to see a female hero grow, achieve greatness and embrace their humanity, without beating you over the head with it. Its not as powerfull or well done as Wonder Woman, but its more family friendly (except a scene with a "cat" which may be a bit shocking for some).

MFG

Ketraar

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 04:13

Ketraar wrote:
Tue, 19. Mar 19, 22:12
I think if you have young(er) kids take them, its a good movie for them to see a female hero grow, achieve greatness and embrace their humanity, without beating you over the head with it. Its not as powerfull or well done as Wonder Woman, but its more family friendly (except a scene with a "cat" which may be a bit shocking for some).
Ellen Ripley is more than enough of a hero for anyone, man or woman. :)

All these "Oh, look, a heroine! Never before has there been a real heroine movie" type of stuff gets a bit old. It's just a marketing gimmick. Hollywood is well aware of all the strong female leads and heroines that have been in the movies, but facts in world built on fiction don't make money.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 13:11

@Mork You cant take young kids to watch Alien now can you? :roll:

Yes its a silly comic book movie, but it IS a good entry to strong female hero characters, then later they will enjoy Ripley even more. ;-)

MFG

Ketraar

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 22. Mar 19, 23:45

It looks like Supernaturals last season will be season 15.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/supern ... 203170437/

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 24. Mar 19, 20:45

Ketraar wrote:
Wed, 20. Mar 19, 13:11
@Mork You cant take young kids to watch Alien now can you? :roll:
I saw Alien when I was a kid. My stepfather took me and a friend to see it and we wouldn't have been allowed in the theater by ourselves. :)

And, yeah, it scared the bejeebus out of me. :) I saw most of it through the space between my fingers. I also watched "Jaws" that way, too. :D
Yes its a silly comic book movie, but it IS a good entry to strong female hero characters, then later they will enjoy Ripley even more. ;-)
I know, and I'm all for it! It's just that people are standing up and screaming "Look at this "new" movie that "finally" places this "Insert_Current_Social_Media_Crusade" in it's proper, politically correct (At least for today) place! Look at how awesome we are for having done this thing!"

And, yet, that's what movies have been doing for a long time... Heck, cartoon shows, books, comic-books, art, television... All these things and these people just have to have "Their moment" when they are put in the limelight for "Marching Down Mainstreet As A Hero."

Never mind that the "Mary Tyler Moore" show did more for realistically portraying women and exhulting their very real virtues in the United States and than this movie ever will.

You know why they do that, right? It's all some attempt by them to fulfill the all the "Righteous Crusade" chatter they've been wallowing in online and to then capitalize on that when the movie gets released.

"Everyone can feel good about this movie because it is not only just a movie, but a spiritual message from God himself and you should feel bad if you don't go see and don't like it because it means you are a bad person since it is such a good message about a critical problem we are all facing and, look, there is a woman in it and you had better adore the movie for having a woman in the lead role because God said so!"

They tried that with the new Ghostbusters release too and they used that same excuse, calling everyone who didn't like it "bad" because they were only reacting to the all-female cast... Nevermind that the movie SUCKED. Oh no, that wasn't the issue - "The reason people didn't like the movie was because they don't like women in strong lead roles."

See?

If the movie sucks, it sucks. I don't know if it sucks, since I haven't seen it. But, how many critics are going to call it out for sucking if they have to endure being called misogynistic jerkwads for doing so? :)

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 10:38

Morkonan wrote:
Sun, 24. Mar 19, 20:45
I don't know if it sucks, since I haven't seen it. But, how many critics are going to call it out for sucking if they have to endure being called misogynistic jerkwads for doing so? :)
Less people than the ones saying it sucks cause it portrays a female lead. I understand that there is some exaggeration by a few extremist, but the amount of push-back to anything that is trying to balance the field is just silly and frankly many insecure males are scared and find the world will end just cause women are allowed to express themselves, even have bad movies, sure are plenty of those with non female leads. :roll:

Also just because there are other female roles doesnt mean we can just stop making them, not that I'm counting but I'm sure there are many second-grade superheroes that would normally not be on screen that get put up, yet they are and dont get the kind of scrutiny the female ones get (yes looking at you Aquaman). So again, get your younglings to the movies to watch THIS one, at least they will WANT to watch this instead of a boring docu or some other boring old movie, even if it has better (female) characters.

The reason today people are excited for this type of movie is that its needed and dont tell me there is an even representation of all the people on screen, spoiler there is not, so any mainstream movie that enhances that is good step in the right direction, even if its not good. True equality is when everyone is "allowed" to make bad movies, regardless of gender.

MFG

Ketraar

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 17:00

Ketraar wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 10:38
Morkonan wrote:
Sun, 24. Mar 19, 20:45
I don't know if it sucks, since I haven't seen it. But, how many critics are going to call it out for sucking if they have to endure being called misogynistic jerkwads for doing so? :)
Less people than the ones saying it sucks cause it portrays a female lead. I understand that there is some exaggeration by a few extremist, but the amount of push-back to anything that is trying to balance the field is just silly and frankly many insecure males are scared and find the world will end just cause women are allowed to express themselves, even have bad movies, sure are plenty of those with non female leads. :roll: ...
Bbbut....

"push-back to anything that is trying to balance the field..."

See?

The assumption there is that the field must surely need to be "balanced." I don't see that. Are there more male leads than female leads? If so, is it because society is misogynistic? Or, is it because the public likes the sort of movies that would typically have a leading male? ie: Action-howitzer-blowup-movies-with-life-and-death-struggles-with-bad-things-happening-to-the-lead

I've seen a lot of movies with female leads that were great, with strong characters in interesting situations. The life-and-death-drama stuff is a bit more rare, but it still makes its way in.

So, which movies are going to feature a female WWI soldier battling it out in the trenches against horrible Turkish forces that do deplorable things with batons when the soldier is wounded and captured? Probably not many. Female Korean War Fighter Jet pilots? Nope. Ah, the Captain of the Titanic embroiled in... No.

"Let's do another film about a woman being oppressed in the workplace! We've never seen that before!"

More movies with women as leads is fine by me. I don't have an issue with it at all. But, I have to put that disclaimer in here because, if I don't, someone will pop up and say I'm a poopyhead for voicing an opinion that social media is driving a theme that may not be as severe as it claims.

A lot of movies with male leads suck and don't make money because the budget is blown on howitzer-blowup-stuff. A movie with a female lead? Well, unless it's a blockbuster budget with blowup stuff allotment it's probably going to do pretty well.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 18:55

Morkonan wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 17:00
If so, is it because society is misogynistic?
Yes.

Though I grant its getting better, still ways to go though.

MFG

Ketraar

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 27. Mar 19, 22:26

Ketraar wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 18:55
Morkonan wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 17:00
If so, is it because society is misogynistic?
Yes.

Though I grant its getting better, still ways to go though...
I think a lot of people are a bit more interested in "feeling good" about "making it better" without actually looking at what they think they're "making better."

Yes, we are largely a male-dominated society. But, the changes, where applicable, that actually need to be made are much more than the ease of "let's make a movie and chanj teh worl" type of stuff. So, a significant amount of people get to "feel good" about "rebranding" without really doing much of anything that's significant or hasn't truly already been done before. And, of course, if they go to the movie and, importantly, like it and talk about how great it was, then they're "participating" because they are a "fan."

Really getting kind of tired of the whole "we helped" kind of lazy participation people feel entitle them to extra-helpings of public accolade and adoration...

Movies can be excellent forms of communication and can, at times, actually give rise to social and cultural discussion. But, that is not what they are designed to do these days. That is not their primary purpose in multi-bajilion-monies production houses. They want theater draw and "box." Whatever will get them those things is what they'll shoot for and if it takes creating a "we helped" segment of "feel-gooders" to do that then that is exactly what they will do.

Meanwhile, back in reality, some single-mother is working three jobs shoveling fries and handing out menus to feed her kids and doesn't give a wet fart what some middle-level management college-educated businesswoman is "putting up with" in her white-collar job. But, I guess it's hard to "feel good" about doing something about that, right? Better feel good about helping out with social and cultural change by... making a movie with a female lead and call the world "misogynistic" on teh interwebz. :)

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 27. Mar 19, 22:59

Mork, its a silly comic book movie that may inspire people to see women as empowered, there is no need for it to be the solution to all inequality. :-P

MFG

Ketraar

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 27. Mar 19, 23:15

Ketraar wrote:
Wed, 27. Mar 19, 22:59
Mork, its a silly comic book movie that may inspire people to see women as empowered, there is no need for it to be the solution to all inequality. :-P
But, there is a growing segment of internetz commentators and popcorn munchers that are claiming just that.

"Everything" that doesn't take much effort, like sitting in front of a screen and preaching the gospel of the latest "Strong Female Lead Movie" is getting a Social Justice Warrior Treatment.

In this instance, I'm not decrying Social Justice Warriors that are, in fact, doing Social Justice Warfare'ish stuff that could actually force positive change. I'm talking about the lazy slobs sitting back and making claims that they've "done something" by either making, watching, or being a fan of a movie that has a female lead in it... It's a movie. It's a comic-book-hero movie, as you said.

But, holy crap, the outrage is palpable in some places if you dare to say "this movie sucks."

A couple of days ago I was talking with a friend about "these are the movies I really don't have a desire to see." Common discussion among friends, right? No problem, nothing inflammatory, just "another list of things I'm not excited about." In that list, which was a discussion of all the darn crap I'd have to watch in order to get "up to speed" on the Marvel Universe timeline just to watch the latest friggin Marvel Compilation movie... was "The Black Panther."

"Yeah, I don't have any desire to see that Black Panther movie, either."

<uncomfortable silence>
<laughter in response to my previous witticisms trails off>

See?

Maybe you can, maybe not, it all depends on just how forced the idea of "Equality" has been pushed in your culture/group. But, instead of "elevating" any concern or "doing something in the name of progress" the effect the radicalization of these efforts opposes those intents.

The concept of "Movies as Social Commentary For Their Own Sake" is being taken to extremes and people are starting to identify the worth of their own personal efforts being judged in regards to how fervently they support the latest Social Justice Movie regardless of whether or not it's a good movie.

And, the studios are loving the heck out of that because that means they don't have to make a good or even a very sensible movie in order to earn box... They can guilt you into giving them money.

PS - I'll lighten any further responses, since I know I'm a blowhard an' all. :) Other people should have a chance to post on teh interwebz without having to scroll past my own. :)

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 28. Mar 19, 00:26

I understand what you mean and I agree on what you are saying, I just choose to ignore it and move on with my life. In context with superhero movies Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel are a long time due, just for the sake of sanity to have SOMETHING different. Even Black Panther, which is even more of so of a mediocre movie, was important and for the representation it provided worth watching, especially for those that identify with what is shown on screen.

I prefer a silly John Wick myself for the silly action and mind shutdown type movie, as its crafted more interestingly then most marvel movies, but they later "make" people go so they have a greater chance to have SOME influence in portraying different aspects of our societies. I'd much rather people go see 2001 but not many will muster the patience for a 4h drag of masterpiece cinema, because they are not out for that.

Hence why its OK to say "Captain Marvel is a 6/10 movie that portraits a female here that has a chance to have some positive impact on the young, on how to perceive woman" There needs not be much more depth, it does not require to be the all out solution, all it needs to do is entertain people and if they get inspired too, thats a bonus. I really dont care if the studios make money or not and how noble their cause is. I rather a person helps other for selfish reason than not helping at all.

MFG

Ketraar

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 28. Mar 19, 00:59

Most of my European friends are watching The Parliament Channel, because it's the best comedy they can get.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Thu, 28. Mar 19, 10:18

RegisterMe wrote:
Thu, 28. Mar 19, 00:59
Most of my European friends are watching The Parliament Channel, because it's the best comedy they can get.
LOL but it is true
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Thu, 28. Mar 19, 11:19

@Mork

My youtube page for reasons i don't really understand got flooded with youtube videos whose titles made it look like this was going to destroy society and castrate all men, then a whole plethora of titles that made claims about how disney or marvel where jumping through hoops to skewer the perception of the succes of the movie all because of its feminist agenda (a dude's channel named the quartering stood out cause i at least already knew of his existance (i now know what those incels i've heard about are like), i couldn't get through any of those vids, then i went ahead and went out of my way to see the the other side, wasn't to impressed with them either.

There however are also plenty of reviews who stay away from all that and just review for what it is, and to be honest i haven't seen those get attacked by either side of the narrative, that seems logical to me, the far left would be more focused on a reviewer that said: "the scene where she does the dishes is the only good scene in the movie", while the far right will focus more on the "this movie finally breaks the mold" on the other side.

Bottom line as usual:

It's not what either side of the isle is trying to tell you it is, it's something along the middle and more importantly it's nothing new.

Actually something i keep noticing about all those talking heads on youtube is that they like to pretend everything they think they have figured out is some newfangled modern concept we should be very worried about when in fact what they figured out has been around for exactly as long as humanity has been around.

Im pretty sure had that quartering guy lived in the sixties he'd be very upset pretty much all the time.

Im currently re-watching stargate and stargate atlantis, im pretty sure had atlantis f.e. been relevant today some people would be very worried about the political agenda behind putting Weir or Carter in charge of Atlantis. But that's a very minor example, as long as there has been art it has been used in every way for every political agenda (remember how fond hitler was of cinema and what could be achieved with it) So i submit to you that this is A: not a new phenomenon B: it;s not worse than it has ever been nor will it get to that point. C: we have simply gotten more vocal about such narratives due to the ease of communication these days and have got more time to worry and be angry about such things due to our increasing welfare.
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

Return to “Off Topic English”