Brexit

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Vertigo 7
x4

Re: Brexit

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 04:28

felter wrote:
Fri, 31. Jan 20, 04:04
HAPPY BREXIT DAY.

So today is the day that once again the UK becomes an isolated country YAY. To show just how screwed up this all is and how much of a massive mess it all is and how badly handled it has all been. Yesterday a lot of major companies got in touch and had a meeting with the UK Government to ask them if they would please clarify how trade is going to work, as they do not have a clue what they should be doing. Yes that's less than 24 hours to go and they still do not have a clue what they are supposed to be doing and how it is going to work and how they are going to do it. These assholes have had over 3 years to get this sorted out and with hours to go, they still haven't got a clue what they are doing. But we have to celebrate this tremendous occasions, as it's what's best for the country, not having a clue what to do. :shock:
At least you don't have Trump at the helm to make it worse.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 08:42

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 31. Jan 20, 04:28
At least you don't have Trump at the helm to make it worse.
You've seen Boris Johnson, right? :D

Anyway, although we officially leave the EU at 11pm tonight, I think we still have another eleven months of trade negotiations to go before we actually lock down what that means, so I don't think anything is going to immediately change.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 08:51

Well, as sad and as disagreeable I find this outcome to be, I wish the UK luck and prosperity as you will all try to make the best out of this situation regardless of the original opinion. Don't give in into cynicism for the shake of self-fulfilled doomsday prophecies.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 09:20

Sad to see you guys go.
I really hope you will be doing well without the eu and hope to see close relations between the mainland and you!
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 10:10

Thanks lino. Unfortunately, for *some* people living here in the UK, they *are* the mainland. In their minds, the rest of the European Union just forms part of a very big offshore island chain! :D

I'm sure though that we'll all eventually work something out that's tolerable in the long run. :gruebel:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 10:11

I wish the UK all the best, now that they are finally free of the oppression of the EU and can define their future on their own. I'm sure with the added freedom all the issues will be resolved in no time, given they were all tied to being part of the EU, the UK will surely once more be the great empire it once was.

MFG

Ketraar

Disclaimer: This post may contain sarcasm

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 16:50

Happy 'the EU can no longer be your scapegoat' Day!

See you in 8 years when we're talking about dissolution of the UK after years of The S*n and Daily Mail lying smear campaigns about; the pressure the Irish put on the NHS, overwhelming numbers of Welsh benefit claimants and how evil the Scottish are.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 18:03

That's actually an interesting point. Who will be the scapegoat now?

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 18:11

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 31. Jan 20, 18:03
That's actually an interesting point. Who will be the scapegoat now?
The brexiteers, and rightfully so. I think once the dust settles and the uk pop that didnt want this feel the sting of seperation the anger is going to turn inwards.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 18:23

Some of us are pretty angry with those people already! But I meant the press, particularly those who spread the EU smear campaigns that Stars_InTheirEyes was referring to. I think they'd struggle to turn the blame on those who wanted us to leave, when they were so heavily involved in that themselves.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 20:26

So it seems from the tone of the conversation you already expect a large fallout and asking whose head gonna roll next?

Just speaking hypothetically: what if this decision turn out to be the right one, and after some hiccup the UK hit an economy boom for the next decade. Then what will your response be if the people from the other side pose the same questions to you?

Again, it's just hypothetically. It's not a question whether you think it's possible for such scenario to happen that way or not. But sometime the best way to answer the question you pose to others is to reflect on how you would answer the same question if it is given to you.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 20:48

It is funny though how long do you think it will take for those who voted to leave will start complaining that nothing has changed I mean I remember watching a video of one guy who voted to leave as he blamed the EU on the state of the roads and that it was the EU's fault that his local council didn't have any money. How long will it take them to notice the potholes are still there, and their council still doesn't have any money.

I have an English friend who voted to leave. I was having dinner with him a few weeks back and at some point the subject got onto how bad the current Governments are right now, which I agreed with, even when he said that our Scottish Government was bad, but then he said how our first minister Nicola Sturgeon was any idiot going on about Scottish independence all the time like she does. I had to point out she is a nationalist and that is what nationalists are all about. He came out with but it's not what the Scottish people want. I had to point out that if that was the case why did their vote count go up and not down in the last election, if the people of Scotland are not wanting to leave they would not have voted for the SNP in the numbers that they did. Right now I would expect if there was a Scottish referendum on leave the vote would probably come in around 60 - 70% in favour of Scotland leaving the UK. The interesting part was his arguments for Scotland not to leave the UK were the exact same arguments the EU remainers used, apart from some military arguments which were pretty nonsensical.

This makes me think when/if things go pear shape, the English pro brexiteers will use Scotland as a scapegoat in the future. All I can say is remember Scotland voted to stay in the EU.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 21:31

So my sister works in the Scottish parliament, I was just talking to her and she says there has been massive demonstrations there all day today and more planned for tomorrow and they are not in favour of Brexit. There is probably some coverage of it but I can't find it on the BBC, they are just mainly going over the English leave with a few we will miss you EU, but nothing I can find about the demonstrations and rallies in Edinburgh.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 21:39

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 31. Jan 20, 18:23
Some of us are pretty angry with those people already! But I meant the press, particularly those who spread the EU smear campaigns that Stars_InTheirEyes was referring to. I think they'd struggle to turn the blame on those who wanted us to leave, when they were so heavily involved in that themselves.
They'll just go back to their previous favourite bogeymen, immigrants and non-white people generally. Five years time they'll probably have headlines saying that Brexit was all the fault of the entrenched Asian minority in an attempt to get the UK onto Sharia law, this effort all being led by a lesbian transsexual with 43 children living off benefits, or something like that...

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 21:48

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 31. Jan 20, 21:39
CBJ wrote:
Fri, 31. Jan 20, 18:23
They'll just go back to their previous favourite bogeymen, immigrants and non-white people generally. Five years time they'll probably have headlines saying that Brexit was all the fault of the entrenched Asian minority in an attempt to get the UK onto Sharia law, this effort all being led by a lesbian transsexual with 43 children living off benefits, or something like that...
The UK is gonna get Fox News?
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 22:44

Vertigo 7 wrote:The UK is gonna get Fox News?
Believe it or not but we used to get Fox news here, but they had to close it down because no one was watching it.

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 22:45

Well since the moment is here, and even though i really feel bad for the remainers i'm just gonna have to say:

Finally! Glad you're out.
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 23:08

Well. Spending Brexit Day in the typical Brit way. In a pub, watching the sky news countdown...

See you on the other side o7
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 23:51

I don't think this is the time to get all sarcastical about it, especially as a non UK person. They wanted to leave, they left, that's it, it's over. Life is not about being right.
Wish you all the best :)

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 23:59

I'm sure you mean well, but I object to being lumped in to a nebulous "they". There are over 16m people in this country who voted against this fiasco, and who will have to suffer the consequences along with those who voted in favour.

Return to “Off Topic English”