Brexit

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BugMeister
x4

Re: Brexit

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 24. May 19, 21:53

"And we've had our say on European membership, and it voted out. But now you want a say in how that's defined. You've got one, you've elected officials into Parliament. So you've got/had your say already - by the General Election and elected representatives. Just like we have our say in Europe already as you point out above by the exact same mechanism.

Funny you see this one way, but not the reverse..."

- not really, unless you call running around the countryside in a bus with A MASSIVE LIE plastered over the side of it..
- do you seriously think the electorate were kept informed of the facts..??!!

- HOLY SCHMOLEY..!!
- I mean like, REALLY..???!!!
:gruebel:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 24. May 19, 23:37

Chips wrote:
Fri, 24. May 19, 21:07
Right.

And we've had our say on European membership, and it voted out. But now you want a say in how that's defined. You've got one, you've elected officials into Parliament. So you've got/had your say already - by the General Election and elected representatives. Just like we have our say in Europe already as you point out above by the exact same mechanism.

Funny you see this one way, but not the reverse...
Very, very well said. :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up:
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Sat, 25. May 19, 23:37

BugMeister wrote:
Fri, 24. May 19, 21:53
- do you seriously think the electorate were kept informed of the facts..??!!
As I keep saying: No. Because there were no facts. It's unexplored territory. Both sides told lie after lie.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 26. May 19, 06:36

Speaking of facts... So I have another silly question perhaps.

Now, I assume, people have and know facts. They know possible outcomes of Brexit, as well as what it means to be in EU, - is the current mood (of the majority) still to leave?

Bishop149 wrote:
Fri, 24. May 19, 18:36
fiksal wrote:
Fri, 24. May 19, 17:59
Thought I would ask, so what's next?

Or still just guesses?
Smart money is probably on BoJo, God help us all.
Looking from over the pond, that Boris guy doesnt look very promising
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 26. May 19, 09:11

Golden_Gonads wrote:
Sat, 25. May 19, 23:37
As I keep saying: No. Because there were no facts. It's unexplored territory. Both sides told lie after lie.
How was staying in the EU "unexplored territory"? We pretty much knew the consequences of that side of things. Leaving was the big unknown.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 26. May 19, 11:30

fiksal wrote:
Sun, 26. May 19, 06:36
Now, I assume, people have and know facts. They know possible outcomes of Brexit, as well as what it means to be in EU
That's a pretty big assumption. People know that it's not as straightforward as some of the campaigners would have like to have made out, and that the politicians they believed, whatever side they were campaigning for, can't necessarily deliver what they promised because the number of different opinions in parliament is almost as great as the number in the country as a whole. More importantly, however, it seems that many people haven't learned much from the whole sorry saga. I heard an interview in which someone claimed that one specific politician (I won't say who, because it doesn't matter) was "the only one telling the truth" when that politician had been demonstrably lying throughout the campaign, and was in fact just saying what that particular voter wanted to hear. So quite frankly, I don't think people are interested in the "facts" now, any more than they were 3 years ago.
fiksal wrote:
Sun, 26. May 19, 06:36
is the current mood (of the majority) still to leave?
Nobody knows; public opinion is still very deeply divided. Some people have changed their minds, some people who were undecided have made up their minds, and some have entrenched their existing positions even more deeply. And it's becoming increasingly obvious that, regardless of what the general population thinks of the idea of a second referendum, the politicians themselves are terrified of finding out the answer that way, because whatever the answer is it would mean there would definitely be no wiggle-room left for them if they don't agree with it.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Sun, 26. May 19, 11:49

pjknibbs wrote:
Sun, 26. May 19, 09:11
How was staying in the EU "unexplored territory"? We pretty much knew the consequences of that side of things. Leaving was the big unknown.
Fair enough. Though the remain camp did spiel on about how this and that and this were all going to magically improve with a remain vote. But the majority of their argument was anti-leave as opposed to pro-remain.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sun, 26. May 19, 12:13

PAY HEED, IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE UK..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slvnODzN8MQ

- what's it gonna take to convince you of the disaster ahead..??
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... Scunthorpe

"In particular, what broke British Steel was £2.6bn of revenue it expected to receive under the EU’s carbon trading scheme, now frozen because of a threatened Brexit."
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 26. May 19, 16:49

CBJ wrote:
Sun, 26. May 19, 11:30
Nobody knows; public opinion is still very deeply divided. Some people have changed their minds, some people who were undecided have made up their minds, and some have entrenched their existing positions even more deeply.
I reckon, if we re-ran the referendum right now, with the same questions, and not one single person changed their mind, the result would still be different, simply because of demographics. Young people overwhelmingly support the EU, but a lot of them didn't vote last time round; I would expect them to turn out in much larger numbers on a second vote because they know it's really important this time. Furthermore, some of the older, largely pro-Leave voters, will have shuffled off this mortal coil in the three years since the first referendum.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 26. May 19, 20:35

@CBJ, @pjknibbs

so is it fair to say then that the referendum is not possibly the best way to decide on Brexit to begin with? (someone must have mentioned it probably; given the complexity of the issue)
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 26. May 19, 21:24

fiksal wrote:
Sun, 26. May 19, 20:35
@CBJ, @pjknibbs

so is it fair to say then that the referendum is not possibly the best way to decide on Brexit to begin with? (someone must have mentioned it probably; given the complexity of the issue)
Of course it wasn't the best way. The only reason it was called in the first place was because the Conservatives were deeply divided on Europe, so David Cameron thought he could get a big referendum win to use to shut down the Euro-sceptic wing of his party--after all, they could hardly continue to argue against European matters if the people voted overwhelmingly in favour of Europe, right? Which all goes to prove the old rule: don't call for a vote on anything unless you're certain what the result is going to be.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 27. May 19, 01:16

Well, as much as I don't like it, the Brexit party (formed all of about three weeks ago) has absolutely smashed it out of the park in the EU elections. Sad times, ho hum.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 27. May 19, 01:21

fiksal wrote:
Sun, 26. May 19, 20:35
I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave earlier:
CBJ wrote:
Thu, 10. Jan 19, 14:25
For specifics you can always visit the Euromyths A-Z index. Surely so many years of being fed utter tripe by media and politicians couldn't possibly have had any effect on how people think about the EU now. :roll:
Feed people a pack of lies for 40 years and then ask them to vote. What could possibly go wrong?

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 27. May 19, 03:49

RegisterMe wrote:
Mon, 27. May 19, 01:16
Well, as much as I don't like it, the Brexit party (formed all of about three weeks ago) has absolutely smashed it out of the park in the EU elections. Sad times, ho hum.
Something i find disappointing is...
In these elections the combined tally for the two parties in favour of a no-deal Brexit, The Brexit Party and UKIP amounts to 35%.

The combined tally for the pro-second referendum parties is 40%.
Now, that's from the BBC website, and it's missing some context (does it include SNP in Scotland? :D Which parties are the pro-second referendum - assuming Green, Liberal and SNP, but does it include Labour?. Where are Conservatives counted?)

Just as Widicombe (however its spelt) claimed "people vote for more than just the EU when voting for Liberals, so their voting result isn't just about remain", the same goes other way. People voting for Brexit party only vote for one thing only. The rest are split between a range of parties. In one region (South West?) that I saw, the combined total of Green + Liberal was greater than Brexit + UKIP. (Was sad to discover the West Midlands appeared to be near 50% Brexit party votes).

The Brexit party can claim a massive result as they got one. Meanwhile, remain parties are split between many but cumulatively are greater.

Funny comment of the night was Corbyn saying a General Election is a must based on the result :roll: His own constituency voted Liberal.

If the politicians do treat this as a "clear sign we must get it done", surely it kills any hope of a second referendum - given the Brexit party (without any actual policies, so why it should be taken as a sign of a General Election requirement :P ) "won" by a sizeable margin... and they want WTO trade as a starter (i.e. hard as can be brexit). "interesting" to see what happens over the next few days as people chew on it. Interesting is in quotes because, not really :P

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 27. May 19, 07:41

Chips wrote:
Mon, 27. May 19, 03:49
In these elections the combined tally for the two parties in favour of a no-deal Brexit, The Brexit Party and UKIP amounts to 35%.

The combined tally for the pro-second referendum parties is 40%.
Now, that's from the BBC website, and it's missing some context (does it include SNP in Scotland? :D Which parties are the pro-second referendum - assuming Green, Liberal and SNP, but does it include Labour?. Where are Conservatives counted?)
I don't know if they've changed it or if I'm looking at a different page on the BBC site than you are, but it makes it pretty clear now:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48417228

34.9% pro-Brexit (Brexit Party and UKIP), 40.4% anti-Brexit (Lib Dems, Greens, Change UK, SNP and Plaid Cymru), 9.1% Conservative and 14.1% Labour. They even point out that the Labour Party's stance on Brexit is currently entirely unclear.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Mon, 27. May 19, 09:03

I'm surprised at the low UK turnout given the publicity it got. Yes it's high for an EU election, but still...

As to the 35% no-deal, 40% leave, that's... Tripe. People voted differently for different things they would in a general election or referendum. It also doesn't account for pro-leave-with-deal parties.

Still, I'm pleasantly surprised. I honestly thought the Idiot Farage's party would gain an extra 10 or so seats compared to what they did.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 27. May 19, 10:15

Think it was updated then, or maybe it was a different page (as they do tend to have the same stats on many sometimes) - it was a quote from a Professor chap.

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Mon, 27. May 19, 15:27

pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 27. May 19, 07:41
34.9% pro-Brexit (Brexit Party and UKIP), 40.4% anti-Brexit (Lib Dems, Greens, Change UK, SNP and Plaid Cymru), 9.1% Conservative and 14.1% Labour. They even point out that the Labour Party's stance on Brexit is currently entirely unclear.
The Conservatives are essentially pro-leave so no need to leave them on the fence, so that's another 9.1% you missed. As far as Labour are concerned, I don't think they even know where they stand but even if they were 50/50 it still looks bad for the anti-Brexit camp.

So that anti-Brexit figure begins to look a little shaky. How long before they demand another re-run of this vote? :roll:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 27. May 19, 19:16

Memnoch wrote:
Mon, 27. May 19, 15:27
The Conservatives are essentially pro-leave so no need to leave them on the fence, so that's another 9.1% you missed.
*I* didn't miss anything, I was quoting from the website...and if you think the Conservatives are entirely pro-Brexit you must not have been following the news for the last thirty years or so. They're probably more split on the issue than the Labour party is.

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Mon, 27. May 19, 21:54

pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 27. May 19, 19:16
and if you think the Conservatives are entirely pro-Brexit you must not have been following the news for the last thirty years or so. They're probably more split on the issue than the Labour party is.
The split seems to be on how to leave, not whether we should leave.

Return to “Off Topic English”