Brexit

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Brexit

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 19:04

Observe wrote:
Wed, 10. Apr 19, 17:45
If a person thinks some feature is missing from all smartphones, it may not help, to tell that person to become an engineer so they can design their own phone.
This is a bit of stretch for comparison, still most political systems in place in modern democracies allow for various degrees of involvement, voting is one that does not require you to have a masters degree in political science, as per your analogy.
CBJ wrote:
Wed, 10. Apr 19, 17:52
Regarding being informed, how do you know whether you are informed?
This is easy, just reading 2 distinct sources of information will grant, what I personally think is the minimum of information on most subjects, preferably contradicting ones. Doing this over time will also grant people a "skill", called critical thinking and it gets better the more one uses it. So again, this is not hard at all.

Again though, I dont expect nor demand that people do any of it, all I want is for them to be AWARE that they are contributing to shape society REGARDLESS if they are active or not, BOTH have consequences and as such will be (at least partially) their responsibility. You CANNOT opt out of society.

MFG

Ketraar

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 19:50

I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 20:48

Mightysword wrote:
Tue, 9. Apr 19, 23:52
...So what is the differences between those of you who claimed to see through the lie, and those who you claim fell for such lie? I don't think it's patently false either, or are you saying in that 52% (almost 17.5 million votes) there are not at least some segments that are more informed on the issues than all of us here? That would be thinking ... unnecessarily high about ourselves don't you think? :doh:
No, that's not what I am saying at all. In previous posts I already denied legitimacy for what little actual discussion of the "facts" were made available to The People during the run-up to the Referendum. That was just complicated even more by the propaganda pushed by those who had interests other than what may be ultimately best for those People. In such a crazy environment compounded by the ease-of-access of biased and dubious information available online and through social media, how can we expect even very intelligent and educated common people to actually ever stumble across accurate and reasonable discussion of "the facts" they would really need to understand before they cast their vote?

Hindsight is 20/20... kind of. At least that's the way the saying goes. So, upon reflection, we eventually have the time to ferret out some details. Turn the tables on that and what would the referendum environment have been like if there had been an equal three years of debate and discussion leading up to it?
Note that the focus here is I'm rejecting this specific notion:
Morkonan wrote:
Mon, 8. Apr 19, 18:08
...In that respect, one could argue the citizens of the UK are blameless here for making their choice...
That excuse may pass for the people who live in a country like North Korea, but not a place like the UK.
Blameless in that the referendum was misleading and, IMO, illegitimate. The People did not "vote to have a referendum about a Brexit Referendum." They were fed a referendum by their government and it was conducted very poorly. The government seemed to accept that there was a need for it and, apparently, felt that The People already knew enough about the subject to vote on it with the facts they had in hand, even if many of those "facts" were dubious at best. The evidence that the government did not have any sort of strong hand on the situation is very clear in that they have been unable to figure out how to empliment any of it.. They didn't even bother trying to think up a workable "plan" to present as part of this referendum. It was simply "Do we jump off a cliff or not" and that's just plain irresponsible, since someone in favor of jumping off the cliff is going to falsely claim there's a lion chasing them and jumping is the only sane solution.
.. But I don't think that absolved them the responsibility of their vote, they maybe the victim, but they are also their own victim. .. But telling them "you made a bad vote because you were tricked" is a different, and more likely a greater insult. :)
There's no insult here. One can't blame the victim for being a victim if they were made so by someone else, right? I'm placing any "blame" here in the hands of the government and their chasing of politically polarizing rhetoric to shore up their unstable political positions. And, I'm not calling the people of the UK ignorant, either, since it's pretty evident all the complications of actually enabling the UK to withdraw from the EU did not come fully into light until after the referendum. In that situation, it would be very difficult to find ANYONE in full possession of the facts before the referendum took place.

Look at what is in front of our faces, right now, for the evidence and you'll see it. Parliament and the collection of the finest minds and most politically astute people in the entire nation are habitually throwing up their hands and saying "Lolz, I dunno" for three years. The only people that made any rational arguments for or against Brexit may have been a very few low-key commentators who's opinions were asked in passing and in which the questions posed to them contained very little detail or complication.

An equitable situation in the US would be if "teh gubbermint" proposed a referendum to The People that consisted of the question "Should the government have a healthcare policy for all citizens in which it pays for primary care?" No discussion of how or who and what would pay for or manage such a beast, just the question. And, the result of that referendum would then be that Teh Gubbermint would then fully act on it in whatever direction was chosen by the people... That would be criminal. It would result in the most extreme situation for ALL healthcare in the US imaginable. And, that's what's going on in the UK right now.

"No plan. Just do. Should be fun..." - Teh Gubbermint :/

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 22:39

Ketraar wrote:
Wed, 10. Apr 19, 19:04
This is easy, just reading 2 distinct sources of information will grant, what I personally think is the minimum of information on most subjects, preferably contradicting ones. Doing this over time will also grant people a "skill", called critical thinking and it gets better the more one uses it. So again, this is not hard at all.
Yes, it IS hard. People could have read half a dozen different sources and still got false information in this case, because there was little else circulating. And asking people to read contradicting sources, in this case probably reading a newspaper whose politics they disagree with, is, I'm afraid, a fantasy. People don't do that. Again, you can say that they should do it until you're blue in the face, but it won't change the fact that most people don't want to be confronted with uncomfortable information that doesn't fit their world view, and certainly won't go out of their way to seek such situations.
Ketraar wrote:
Again though, I dont expect nor demand that people do any of it, all I want is for them to be AWARE that they are contributing to shape society REGARDLESS if they are active or not, BOTH have consequences and as such will be (at least partially) their responsibility. You CANNOT opt out of society.
Tell that to someone who is unemployed and sees no benefit to them in anything that politicians say or do, and whose opinion on EU membership is therefore much the same. The fact that other people's jobs might depend on the economic support of our international neighbours is of no consequence to them, so they might just as well vote on the basis of what they think of the neighbours in their own street who happen to be from some other EU country and who do have a job. They are not "opting out" but their perspective doesn't include the bigger picture, and nor can it realistically be expected to.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 00:34

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 10. Apr 19, 22:39
Ketraar wrote:
Yes, it IS hard.
No it is not. I did it all the time, I don't see what's difficult about it, and I don't see anything special about myself. It's not like I'm bending myself backward, twisting my arm or giving up my first born to do it, I'm sure there are others who do it too. Even if you can not obtain all the facts, at the very least it will provide a "balance" view. Hard cold fact is not the only way to make an "informed" decision. Students are taught how to check their answer even in the absent knowledge of what is the correct answer. You may not know what it is, but you can also deduce what it can not be. I said it before: I'm naturally suspicious of what I don't agree with, and I am extra suspicious of what I do agree with. And that's not a new thing: "keep your friend close and your enemy closer", "if something sounds too good to be true then it's probably not true", these have been wisdom through the age, people just don't want to apply it.

Especially when most of the lie are spread through the appeal of emotion and fear mongering, just keeping yourself a level head is often enough to avoid being misinformed. On the contrary, the more people indulge themselves in the echo chamber, the less effort it takes to trick them. :sceptic:

And asking people to read contradicting sources, in this case probably reading a newspaper whose politics they disagree with, is, I'm afraid, a fantasy. People don't do that. Again, you can say that they should do it until you're blue in the face, but it won't change the fact that most people don't want to be confronted with uncomfortable information that doesn't fit their world view, and certainly won't go out of their way to seek such situations.
This view has been brought up repeatedly in the last two pages by you and others, and in summary the tl;dr is: people just don't want to do it. I can accept it if I am given a demonstration of "people want to do it, but can not". But here, we talk about people having the tool and the mean to do something that will benefit, yet don't want to do it, than there can be no excuse. Again saying it's a common issue doesn't make it a non-issue, just like we don't accept wrong doing is not wrong just because "lots of people do it too!".

But here is the my main counterargument for you and others: so if your reason on this is "it's too hard, you can't expect people to do that", this means the only way for them to get the truth is being spoon-fed it by others. And who gonna be these "others"? The Politician and Media? Tell me, if you think expecting people to read a source of contradicting opinion is a fantasy ... then how realistic it is to expect politician and media to tell no lie? :P

And before you say something like "but speaking the truth is the duty expected of them!", I can also reciprocate that in the same manner: "taking things seriously and ensure they are informed are also the duty expected of the voters". You see how this game gonna go? In the end people prefer to talk about expectation of others instead of what expected of them, but ultimately it's easier to control your own action than the action of others. Especially - and I want to put an emphasis on this part - when you have the necessary mean to do so, all you need is a will. There are other places in the world the mean doesn't exist even if people have the will. ;)
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 01:15

Mightysword wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 00:34
No it is not. I did it all the time, I don't see what's difficult about it, and I don't see anything special about myself.
No doubt you think the same about many things in life. Why can't everyone just pull themselves together and get themselves educated, get a job, pull themselves out of poverty, live a healthily life, and generally sort out their problems and stop being bad at things? You can do it, so why can't they? These are good questions, but doesn't the fact that a significant proportion of the population doesn't seem to be capable of doing these things tell you something about human nature? Can you not see that your very willingness to engage in these discussions, and ability to juggle the various issues involved in your mind, is the same thing that makes you "special" according to your definition? Not everybody is like you, so making assumptions on the basis that they are leads you to a skewed view of what is and isn't possible.
Mightysword wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 00:34
But here is the my main counterargument for you and others: so if your reason on this is "it's too hard, you can't expect to do that", this means the only way for people to get the truth is being spoon-fed it by others. And who gonna be these "others"? The Politician and Media? Tell me, if you think expecting people to read a source of contradicting opinion is unrealistic ... then how realistic it is to expect politician and media to be goodie twoshoes who will tell no lie? :P
No disagreement from me on this one. It's a conundrum that I doubt will ever be solved. We thought that the information age would be part of the solution, but it seems from the way that things are currently going that it's actually making the problem worse. The flood of conflicting information is leaving people unable to determine truth from falsehood, often to the point of giving up trying, and unscrupulous people are actively taking advantage of this situation.

Democracy suffers just as badly in practice from the vagaries of human nature as any other political ideal. Just as communism is spoiled by human greed and susceptibility to the draw of power, democracy is spoiled by human laziness and susceptibility to believing what they are told without sufficient critical analysis.

But I think we're drifting rather a long way from the real topic of this thread, Brexit. Apportioning blame at this point is a rather futile exercise. What matters right now is the execution of the process, and that is, right now at least, entirely in the hands of the politicians. While the general public may or may not have got us into this situation, only the politicians can plot a course out of it. Whether they decide to do that by coming to a decision themselves, or by passing it back to us to decide, remains to be seen.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 09:19

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 10. Apr 19, 22:39
Tell that to someone who is unemployed and sees no benefit to them in anything that politicians say or do, and whose opinion on EU membership is therefore much the same.
A colleague at work never votes. Never. This is not from idleness or anything like that, it's because he genuinely believes that his one vote won't make a difference to the eventual outcome, so why make the effort? In the case of a General Election I can see his point--I live in a constituency that has been solid Labour since 1945, but I don't vote Labour; so my vote does not count at all. Unlike my colleague, I go and vote anyway because I'm bloody-minded like that, but I bet there are plenty of people out there who don't.

Then, when we get a vote like the referendum where every vote really *does* count, people like that have the "not voting" mindset already baked in, so they don't vote then either.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 10:29

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 9. Apr 19, 16:11
greypanther wrote:
Sun, 7. Apr 19, 21:59
( Also there is toooo much " ghosting! )
Is that a dig at me for failing to respond to this?
Actually not this time, but a dig at people in general on this forum, whom I have noted for years, do not always respond to direct questions. I had a dig at you in another post:
greypanther wrote:
Wed, 27. Mar 19, 13:01
I did however try to debate in a small way when I responded to CBJ's answer to me, I even asked CBJ a direct question:
Two in fact. :)
CBJ chose to ignore them, as did everyone else, fair enough,
:P

I am a little confused, again, too with trying to understand why I was putting up a straw man argument. We do have all those things, to some extent at the very least, ( hard to ignore the Euro for instance, ) unless you assume the stated intention from Merkel and Macron was false. :gruebel: Ah well, hey ho...
pjknibbs wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 09:19
I live in a constituency that has been solid Labour since 1945, but I don't vote Labour; so my vote does not count at all. Unlike my colleague, I go and vote anyway because I'm bloody-minded like that, but I bet there are plenty of people out there who don't.
I do get understand your bloody mindedness, but do not understand why you like banging your head against the brick wall. It is the same for me, Labour with a huge majority, which means first past the post is unfair. There again I guess life is indeed unfair, perhaps we should just get on with it eh? I just wish that I was represented, at least in a small way.
RegisterMe wrote:
Wed, 10. Apr 19, 19:50
Maybe sums things up really. Just a case of finding the least worse option? How about openly promoting a USE? :roll:
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 11:43

Not totally related but the Swiss are having to rerun a referendum because incorrect data was supplied to the electorate - so they couldn't form a correct opinion.
A flower?

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 12:13

Ketraar wrote:
Observe wrote:
Wed, 10. Apr 19, 17:45
If a person thinks some feature is missing from all smartphones, it may not help, to tell that person to become an engineer so they can design their own phone.
This is a bit of stretch for comparison, still most political systems in place in modern democracies allow for various degrees of involvement, voting is one that does not require you to have a masters degree in political science, as per your analogy.
CBJ wrote:
Wed, 10. Apr 19, 17:52
Regarding being informed, how do you know whether you are informed?

MFG

Ketraar
the vile Thatcher vociferously showed her complete contempt for society - openly, publicly and on several occasions..
it was not a secret - the Konservatives set out to deliberately dismantle and ruin the economy of the UK, and they succeeded..

- these people don't want to run a "society" - they just want to own it.. :evil:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 12:54

greypanther wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 10:29
Maybe sums things up really. Just a case of finding the least worse option? How about openly promoting a USE? :roll:
I've said it before, done right I have no problem with that.
I can't breathe.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 20:06

Court overturns referendum as voters were poorly informed ... in Switzerland

Food for thought... :roll:

(And yes, I know rerunning the referendum has been an ongoing topic for a while with many arguments for and against. Just wanted to point out the precedent.)
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 00:00

Ezarkal wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 20:06

(And yes, I know rerunning the referendum has been an ongoing topic for a while with many arguments for and against. Just wanted to point out the precedent.)
Must be some of that "Fake News" I've heard about... :)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 07:38

greypanther wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 10:29
I do get understand your bloody mindedness, but do not understand why you like banging your head against the brick wall.
I never said I liked it. If I don't vote, though, it feels like somebody is winning and I'm losing.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 09:47

https://thebrexitparty.com/

(More amusing than you might expect)
I can't breathe.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 15:13

Morkonan wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 19, 00:00
Ezarkal wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 20:06

Must be some of that "Fake News" I've heard about... :)
Must be... Too much common sense in there to be true. :D
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 15:17

we just voted to leave common-sense behind us..
and drive forward into that bright new tomorrow..

*hic!*
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 15. Apr 19, 10:56

RegisterMe wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 19, 09:47
https://thebrexitparty.com/

(More amusing than you might expect)
Ha!

This is an interesting compare and contrast that I saw on Twitter
Launch of the Brexit Party as covered by national BBC News
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politi ... revolution
Tight focus on the would be demagogue, coverage of his rhetoric . . . nothing else.

Many of us probably saw that, especially his line about "putting the fear of God" into treacherous MPs. . . . interpreted by many as effectively a call to violence.

And here is the same as covered by the local BBC News team
https://twitter.com/BBCCovWarks/status/ ... 7798169605
A somewhat broader angle reveals plastic garden chairs (covered over by logos in the main vid) in what looks like a small warehouse, attended by a small number of people. . . . most of which were probably press. . . and at least one guy who looks like hes turned up to work in the warehouse and is wondering WTF is going on.

Farage is an irrelevance, always has been.
- Never elected to parliament, despite 7 attempts
- Lost to a dolphin
- Lead a party that generally polls ~2% of the vote (although admittedly briefly spiked to significance in 2015, largely as a result of . . . . . .)

A large part of why we are here today is the BBC positively drowning him in the oxygen of publicity for the last decade or so.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 17. Apr 19, 00:04

the dangers inherent in a binary choice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hrn6vnOjRs

Jonathan Pie for PM..!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f1vNr9j5G8

:lol:

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 23. Apr 19, 10:16

the future looks so bright, I've ordered one of these toys..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLVZm2XD3gA

- 'cos I deserve it..
- and if it's good enough for Betsy Vos, it's good enough for me..
- amazing what you can do with a lottery win and a bank loan (- or three - or four..) :lol:

Return to “Off Topic English”