Brexit

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bishop149
x3

Re: Brexit

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 30. Sep 19, 15:32

RegisterMe wrote:
Mon, 30. Sep 19, 15:01
Bishop149 wrote:
Mon, 30. Sep 19, 11:59
..... a lot of people that stand to make a metric ****ton of money shorting the pound have his ear.
Further up the page I linked to a factcheck site that debunked the story about Sterling being shorted (let alone by Boris and his chums).
I don't believe there is any kind of wide ranging conspiracy at play, nor do I believe that Boris Johnson is manipulating Brexit for his own financial gain (Reese-Mogg, however, is . . . as is Nigel Farage).
However, I do believe that that are plenty of people out there that are looking to making a shed ton of money in relation to Brexit by playing the markets (specifically a no-deal Brexit, the impacts of that being both far easier to predict and far more dramatic than any other form it might take), and that many of those people probably share a social circle (and/or place of education) with Boris Johnson.
The former is obviously true, it's merely good little capitalists doing capitalism.
The latter is conjecture on my part but reasonable I think. . . . especially given Rachel Johnson's statement on the matter who probably knows more about Boris' Buller friends than either you or I do. :roll:
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 30. Sep 19, 16:25

Farage isn't in it for himself per se, he just hates Europe and the UK and wants to screw them over. This is because his German wife threw him out of the house for being an abhorrent racist nasty little man, and the people of the UK hate him so much he has to have a bodyguard where ever he goes as he can't stand up for himself and fight his own battles. He knows the UK is screwed as has quite categorically made the point that once Brexit happens he's getting out of dodge and moving to America, where they like him more (for now) than they do in the UK and he can make more money there than he can here. So yeah I suppose he is in it for himself.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 30. Sep 19, 23:04

felter wrote:
Mon, 30. Sep 19, 16:25
Farage isn't in it for himself per se, he just hates Europe and the UK and wants to screw them over. This is because his German wife threw him out of the house for being an abhorrent racist nasty little man, and the people of the UK hate him so much he has to have a bodyguard where ever he goes as he can't stand up for himself and fight his own battles. He knows the UK is screwed as has quite categorically made the point that once Brexit happens he's getting out of dodge and moving to America, where they like him more (for now) than they do in the UK and he can make more money there than he can here. So yeah I suppose he is in it for himself.
We're full up on racists. No more room. Thank you for your interest.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 1. Oct 19, 10:36

So apparently the governments latest "solution" for the Irish border is to set up what looks and sounds a lot like a DMZ. :roll:
At the very least it will turn one border into three.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49887114

I'd say they're absolutely off their rocker but I suspect what is really going on here is an effort to come up with a plan that is utterly certain to be rejected by the EU so they get the no deal they really want whilst once again attempting to play the "Look we tried really hard to get a deal but were stymied by the dastardly unelected Eurocrats!" card to the gammons.
Anyway the leak may have shot this plan down as Boris is already denying it and if you listen very carefully you can hear the sound of exasperated civil servants collectively tearing their hair out in the background as they stare once again at a blank sheet of paper with approximately two weeks to go. :roll:
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 1. Oct 19, 15:15

The most British of Brexit headlines, today. Greggs stockpiles pork for sausage rolls ahead of Brexit. Getting our priorities straight, and all that. :D

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Tue, 1. Oct 19, 17:19

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 1. Oct 19, 15:15
The most British of Brexit headlines, today. Greggs stockpiles pork for sausage rolls ahead of Brexit. Getting our priorities straight, and all that. :D
Brexit is stupid, but the far more concerning thing from that article is: "Around 20% of a Greggs sausage roll is made from pork."

You'd hope a bit more of a sausage would be pork, than 20%.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 1. Oct 19, 17:33

"The minimum meat content to be labelled Pork Sausages is 42% (30% for other types of meat sausages), although to be classed as meat, the Pork can contain 30% fat and 25% connective tissue."

Lovely. Also remember that the total that the 20% figure is based on will include the pastry, hence the 20% being lower than the apparent minimum. Also, I wonder whether those are EU regulations or UK ones. ;)

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 1. Oct 19, 18:42

20% is probably about right for an emulsified high-fat offal tube...

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 1. Oct 19, 19:17

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 1. Oct 19, 17:33
"The minimum meat content to be labelled Pork Sausages is 42% (30% for other types of meat sausages), although to be classed as meat, the Pork can contain 30% fat and 25% connective tissue."

Lovely. Also remember that the total that the 20% figure is based on will include the pastry, hence the 20% being lower than the apparent minimum. Also, I wonder whether those are EU regulations or UK ones. ;)
That's pre-Brexit, in post-Brexit deregulated footloose and fancy free Britain I bet you'll be able to make an honest to god pork sausage out of.... lettuces.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

berth
x4

Post by berth » Tue, 1. Oct 19, 23:10

CBJ wrote:
"The minimum meat content to be labelled Pork Sausages is 42% (30% for other types of meat sausages), although to be classed as meat, the Pork can contain 30% fat and 25% connective tissue."..
Sgt Apone of the USCMC wrote: "Assholes and elbows!"
Alas Smith & Jones wrote:Walls sausages. That's about the only thing that isn't in them.
I'll get my coat.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 1. Oct 19, 23:41

Stephen Fry attempts to shine some truth on industry and politics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmnkutTvQnI

- learn to distinguish between the truth and the personality politics..
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 08:24

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Tue, 1. Oct 19, 18:42
Hey, you shouldn't talk about Boris Johnson like that! :D

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 10:51

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 2. Oct 19, 08:24
GCU Grey Area wrote:
Tue, 1. Oct 19, 18:42
Hey, you shouldn't talk about Boris Johnson like that! :D
Mr Micheal Spicer describes Boris in one of his videos (linked below) as a "stupid sausage roll" and honestly that's just become my headcannon for him now.
https://www.michaelspicer.co.uk/the-room-next-door

Edit: Oh, and we appear to have reached the point in the Brexit discourse where Tory MPs are openly quoting Satan

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 18:48

RegisterMe wrote:
Tue, 1. Oct 19, 19:17
CBJ wrote:

That's pre-Brexit, in post-Brexit deregulated footloose and fancy free Britain I bet you'll be able to make an honest to god pork sausage out of.... lettuces.
Given revelations over the years, I'm surprised you think it'd currently be pork (fit for consumption) anyway...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -standards
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/63149 ... ans-to-eat
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47071234
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... O820130208

Whether EU countries sending meat that's not the meat labelled, slaughtering ill animals as fit for consumption, or the more locally found repackaging of condemned meat (fit only for pet food) being repackaged for humans near Hull and I distinctly remember one back in 2000's near Liverpool being similar.

These things have been going on for years - though the industrial scale of the horse meat (and then other meat as it turned out later) scandal was more alarming than isolated and relatively small instances otherwise.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 19:46

It's interesting listening to the views of the Brexiteers and others and just how insane some of them can be, just never ask them for facts on what they are talking about.

Insane views.

I liked the first one.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 22:18

felter wrote:
Wed, 2. Oct 19, 19:46
Insane views.
./shakes head in dismay
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 00:28

I didn't listen to the whole thing, but the random segments I did listen to were utterly depressing. Not, I hasten to add, because of the opinions expressed, but because of the utter inability of those expressing them to provide any coherent basis in evidence or fact for those opinions, or indeed any acknowledgement that evidence or facts were in any way important.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 04:48

It is pretty good though, shows the mentality of some people and how they just can't accept actual facts they just make them up as they go along. I also didn't manage to listen to it all, I got up to the point where Farage was on the radio as soon as I hear his voice my brain shuts down and for some unknown reason I have to go and have a milkshake.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 05:34

Obviously when you call radio you have to prepare even a little. But to rant on radio, that's just dumb.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 12:12

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 3. Oct 19, 00:28
I didn't listen to the whole thing, but the random segments I did listen to were utterly depressing. Not, I hasten to add, because of the opinions expressed, but because of the utter inability of those expressing them to provide any coherent basis in evidence or fact for those opinions, or indeed any acknowledgement that evidence or facts were in any way important.
I do think the "What are you most looking forward to about Brexit?" is probably the best question to reveal quite how ridiculous the whole process is.
Most of the answers to this question I've heard are misinformed, but regardless of this ALL the answers are some vague principle that won't actually materially affect the respondent's life one jot even if it did EXACTLY what they think it will.

As someone on the other side of the argument my answer to the inverse of the question: "What are you most fearful of about Brexit?" would be as follows
- My 2yo child not being able to get his life sustaining epilepsy medication.
See the difference?

Return to “Off Topic English”