Ranty McRant Thread 2

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chips
x4

Re: Ranty McRant Thread 2

Post by Chips » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 21:11

TBH, happy for people to pay $45 for a water bottle, it may mean they use less throw-away ones, which cumulatively over time cost them more AND creates more non degradable waste.

If they're easily sold super expensive stuff because it has some pointless function, then let them do so. Better they do this than buy endless plastic bottles of water.

At least they refill it from the tap. Unless they're really special and buy bottled water, to refill their refillable thing.

People at work have "mug for life" - yes, mug indeed. I just took in a pot mug from home. It's also "for life", but didn't cost me nearly a tenner.

Some people just need things to spend money on. Kinda like buying store coffee on their way to work. Make some at home, or make it at work. The idea you must have a costa / starbucks is hilarious. But they gotta spend that cash.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 00:05

Chips wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 21:11
TBH, happy for people to pay $45 for a water bottle, it may mean they use less throw-away ones, which cumulatively over time cost them more AND creates more non degradable waste.
Not that I completely disagree on the focus of your point, but we must be careful about how we interpret something's environmental footprint. That $45 "water bottle" might have the environmental footprint of thousands of PET "disposable" water bottles. And, it may not be able to be recycled, unlike most of those. It has rare-earth elements in its circuitry, uses disposable batteries, requires many different chemicals and energy used in the molding/extrusion process, eats up processing power from your phone and its battery, and the data is collected, requiring more power and an active internet connection, powered by all those powerlines from the transmission point to the eventual destination, where it is collated, examined, the data used in other applications or sold to others.

Something as innocent and "green" seeming as a re-usable canvas shopping bag used for groceries can have a deceptively huge environmental footprint that is potentially greater than the seemingly endless legion of plastic shopping bags one would use over the lifetime of that "All Natural Green Earth-Friendly Tree-Saving" canvas bag. :) Use paper - It's the most environmentally-friendly choice... .for disposal and environmental biodegradability, in a limited sense, considerations only. There are different sorts of footprints and they all must be considered. Plastic bags are actually a heck of lot more "environmentally friendly" than people think, but there's no one "always win choice."
Some people just need things to spend money on. Kinda like buying store coffee on their way to work. Make some at home, or make it at work. The idea you must have a costa / starbucks is hilarious. But they gotta spend that cash.
Uh... Starbucks is delicious... :) I used to have one large Mocha every darn day, which is about a thousand calories I guess. So what? It was friggin' delicious and not something I can make at home unless I bought some barista slaves or something.

Yes, some people just have to buy stuff. But, this thing is stoopid. :)

The whole point wasn't this water-bottle in particular, it was just that people should use a bit of common sense. One doesn't need a "reminder" to drink water in any sort of normal situation and condition, including rigorous therapeutic/preventative exercise. One doesn't need a "water goal" per day, which is a silly concept that has long been debunked as superstitious nonsense. One especially doesn't need some app triggering a blinky light on an overpriced vanity water bottle, either. If one must spend such money, one should instead donate $40 to a well deserving charity and spend the remainder on a cheap water bottle and then paying attention to what their body tells them they need to do. IMO, of course.

(And, it's a "rant thread" post which I try not to take too seriously. :) )

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 20:50

Oh the reminder to drink and other electronic parts are just "value added"; it's ubiquitous. Necessary? nope (never knew dehydration was such a common issue...), but a vast majority of things are basic items that have "value added" to it in the form of some convenience people become convinced they then cannot survive/deal without.

You'd certainly not enter the water bottle market without convincing people its worth parting your cash for. As said, it aint. Nor are "lifetime mugs" sold by the likes of Costa/Starbucks or other establishments.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 21:45

Chips wrote:
Thu, 6. Dec 18, 20:50
...As said, it aint. Nor are "lifetime mugs" sold by the likes of Costa/Starbucks or other establishments.
I have two Starbucks mugs. Why? It's fookin' hard to find a decent coffee mug these days. (At a "real store.") So, there's a Starbucks in my local grocery store and I didn't like the mugs the grocery store had on the shelf, but the Starbucks mugs were decently sized and comfy to hold.

The ones the grocery store offered were... They looked dangerous, like lead-coated, slightly-irradiated, mugs of death. That may be an apt description of the coffee I make at home, but that doesn't mean I want my mug to look like that. :) Plus, anyone who has a coffee mug that only holds a one-cup measurement of coffee isn't living life to the fullest!

I love "value added" stuff. I just want it to be "value added" and not "I paid too much for something that I won't use." Would I buy a lawnmower with a turn-signal on it? Heck yeah! Why? Because it's funny! Would I pay an extra $200 for that "value added" feature? No.

PS - Something comes to mind. It's a Japanese art-form that makes seemingly useless or crazy things for common everyday needs. And, I can't remember what it's called. :/ Any netizen has seen the result of this art-form at least a few times. Anyone remember what it's called? Application? In the case of this specific art, it's the "artistic value" of the inane, ridiculous, funny item and not what it actually does or its usefulness. For instance, what if this water bottle beeped to let you know that you were drinking from it? Then, it "booped" when you set it down on a flat surface, to let you know that you had set it down on a flat surface? THAT is "art" and worth paying a little bit extra for... :)

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 22:42

your wrong
you'r wrong
you're things
there things
thats they're things
their angry
seperate
persue them
cerebus
nukular
to much
to week
last weak
to pounds
sweat candy
wear were you
bare with me
higth (yes, that's "height")

None of those are typos. None. Not a single one of them. Don't even try convincing me otherwise. They're not. One per paragraph is a typo. Several per sentence, twelve per post, loads in every third thread? No. They're not typos. They're far, far worse. And they're everywhere, don't even need to turn over any rocks. Any forum, any social media site, everywhere.

:rant:
Why am I even bothered? Why the hell do I care??? This is not even my language! :evil:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 23:30

radcapricorn wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 22:42
... :rant:
Why am I even bothered? Why the hell do I care??? This is not even my language! :evil:
If people don't care enough about you and your experience of reading what they have written, then why should you care what they wrote? :)

Ignorance can be offensive... It doesn't meant that public demonstrations of ignorance are intended to be offensive, but you're still allowed to be offended if you wish. :)

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 23:53

Yeah, I'm actually inches away from just using whatever filtering options a particular site provides. But it doesn't offend me, it appalls me.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 05:05

All the ones you list are wrong, true, but one might be wrong deliberately--"nukular" is a spoof of the way George W. Bush pronounced the word "nuclear".

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 11:35

Really? Thanks, I didn't know that, will try sparing that one :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 21:23

My pet hate: 'turrents' for turrets. Don't ask me why, it just is.

Also how many instances of tooth-grinding grammar/spelling are actual typos and not that ever-helpful app's context-checker/auto-correction changing what you typed into what it thinks you meant to type?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 21:32

I struggle with homophones and homonyms, even though I'm technically adept otherwise. It must be faulty wiring because even words that are dissimilar end up replacing the correct one. - I enjoy novel writing, and a couple of my worse oopses were 'bowls of Hell' and 'the handmaidens erected the marquis for the Queen...' :shock:

What irritates me, however, is when people hyphenate or even separate what should be a single word such as god-forsaken (godforsaken) and tip-toed (tiptoed.) I edit for a lot of writers, and I've yet to come across one, no matter how proficient, who doesn't do it.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 21:55

Hah, I myself typed 'turrents' many, many times, but for me I know it's just faulty muscle memory, and I always correct it. I'm also now very careful each time I'm trying to declare a variable named 'count', because I don't want a repeat of a funny, but not all that well received check-in. That's also faulty muscle memory, I swear :D

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 15:51

<- Has a comma addiction.

<- Also arbitrarily hyphenates word combinations.

Granted, there are some pretty sensitive rules for commas that change a little bit as one steps over international borders. At least it seems that way. But, I'm comfortable with it, since a LOT of authors murder commas much more frequently than I do. :)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 18:57

radcapricorn wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 21:55
Hah, I myself typed 'turrents' many, many times, but for me I know it's just faulty muscle memory, and I always correct it. I'm also now very careful each time I'm trying to declare a variable named 'count', because I don't want a repeat of a funny, but not all that well received check-in. That's also faulty muscle memory, I swear :D
My programming nemesis is the word "buffer", which I invariably type with my left index finger 1cm too far to the right.
Gavrushka wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 21:32
What irritates me, however, is when people hyphenate or even separate what should be a single word such as god-forsaken (godforsaken) and tip-toed (tiptoed.) I edit for a lot of writers, and I've yet to come across one, no matter how proficient, who doesn't do it.
Working with German-speakers means that I spend far more time than I'd like to splitting up words that have been strung together.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 19:14

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 19. Dec 18, 18:57
My programming nemesis is the word "buffer", which I invariably type with my left index finger 1cm too far to the right.
Oh yes, that one slips in quite often.
Working with German-speakers means that I spend far more time than I'd like to splitting up words that have been strung together.
Illegalcommodity advancedsecuritydecryptionsystem? :)

ApoxNM
x4

Post by ApoxNM » Fri, 21. Dec 18, 22:04

mrbadger wrote:
Mon, 11. Dec 17, 17:22
So why is it, year after year, I have this same 'I've left everything till the last minute and now I'm stuck because I didn't come to the lectures or do any work and I don't know what I'm doing' crap?
I can share some of my viewpoints on this (from my perspective and experience). I myself was always one who went against the mainstream, with everything. An individualist so to speak.

My strategy in school was the one, were I did the bare minimum and mostly waited till the end for learning. Kind of like what you describe. When I had one teacher or professor, I could have almost the worst grades all year long and if the teacher changed I could suddenly start getting the best grade. Why? Because I am a creative person. I hated monotony and I hated stupidily memorizing thing. If a teacher could actually spark my curiosity for something that I had to figure out (problem solve) or I could somehow apply, I would start to really get into it (which happened in about about 5% of the cases).

So mostly I did not care about school and soon realized graded didn't matter, so my strategy worked perfectly.

I started working and gained experience. At the age of 26 I decided to go to college again (for two years). In this college all professors had at least 20-30 years working experience in their field and tought us practical examples, so it was a whole different level. But same here, some teachers just didn't really put an effort in so we had to stupidily memorize stuff again, almost failed those classes.

Now I am in my mid 30ies and my curiosity never seizes, so I am learning programming and already work as web dev freelancer aside my job.

My advice is, figure out if you can spark the curiosity in your students. If you can make the mcurious, they might start learning by themselfes. If not, just let them be, it's their life anyways.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 28. Jan 19, 16:37

Today, on "People trying to become outraged over things that don't matter - Fluff Article Version Because Pagehits are Money" - The Atlantic - The Long Lines for Women’s Bathrooms Could Be Eliminated. Why Haven’t They Been?

OK, we're going to play a little game. I'm not going to rant - YOU ARE! IN YOUR BRAIN! That's right, this post is designed to induce /rant in your head by just quoting portions of this waste-of-internet-ink article from a news outlet that is actually fairly well regarded! Yup, it's a reputable news organization, or was until this darn article floated to the top of the bowl... So, enjoy your rant! You're welcome!
It’s been more than 30 years since states started trying to achieve “potty parity,” but many queues are still unequal.
“It still remains a huge problem today, overall,” says Kathryn Anthony, an architecture professor at the University of Illinois who has studied the issue for more than a decade. The issue persists for many reasons: the exigencies of real estate, the building codes that govern construction, and, of course, sexism.
Meghan Dufresne, an architect at the nonprofit Institute for Human Centered Design, says it’s hard for potty-parity advocates like her to go up against the end goals of real-estate companies. “Nobody is paid for work in this area,” she says. “There’s no career for this, so I think it’s a hard sell to get people to provide extra restrooms.”
Reflecting on the progress that has and hasn’t been made, Dufresne said, “I think the ratios are a good try at improving things … but the main thing we’re looking to focus on is equal speed of access to the restrooms.” “Equal speed of access” is a standard of fairness that points to a solution that now, unfortunately, often leads to political flare-ups: gender-neutral bathrooms. That is, one way to guarantee that men and women wait the same amount of time for a toilet is to make them wait for the same toilets.
Of course, not every American bathroom user is likely to have the same sensibility as Banzhaf’s urban-dwelling law students, and men do not have a record of responding well when forced to cede facilities to women—see the irate male football fans in Nashville who in 1999 pushed for a potty-parity exemption when a new state law resulted in stadium-toilet ratios that had some of them waiting 15 to 20 minutes.
[ external image ]

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 29. Jan 19, 18:34

I don't know why I'm supposed to rant or get angry about the article. :gruebel: Read it if it interests you, or to think about something people don't think about, or don't :D

Ranting is more "approaching Motorway turn off, there's a few car lengths infront of me as I've closed up to a Lorry as I'm about to exit, and there's about half a km behind me empty in the lane... and a car races up, passes me, then cuts in braking heavily to not hit the lorry... causing me to brake heavily as there's no safe gap and they're overdoing it". Such an inconsiderate moron - just slow and pull in behind where there's tons of space instead of making 2 cars emergency brake to avoid accident. What's more, in doing it that way, neither of us are inconvenienced or dangerous, and it's actually quicker. That's a good rant :D Instead i just calculate whether I could ram them instead and it'd be their fault for dangerous driving or something :P

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 29. Jan 19, 19:53

Chips wrote:
Tue, 29. Jan 19, 18:34
I don't know why I'm supposed to rant or get angry about the article. :gruebel: Read it if it interests you, or to think about something people don't think about, or don't :D
It's the ridiculousness of "potty parity" being spewed by the article. It is as if society must act to reduce wait times for the ladies restroom because men pee faster, don't bother washing their hands, don't stand around in the restroom checking their makeup, don't make going to the restroom in groups, regardless if one has to pee or not, part of one's social life and a host of other things that don't have much at all to do with actual, real, "potty parity."

It is the fault of men and it is sexual discrimination, according to the article, that might, occasionally, and only in very specific situations, cause women to have to stand in line or wait a little longer in order to pee... "Sexual Discrimination in Potty Parity."

If you have external plumbing and use facilities designed for that, then the article is saying that your fellow external plumbing owners and users are at fault for an occasional, deadly, life-changing, extinction-event-inducing slightly longer wait time for a woman to pee... And, if you have turned a selfish blind eye along with other external-plumbing-priveleged persons, it's your fault too!
Ranting is more "approaching Motorway turn off, there's a few car lengths infront of me as I've closed up to a Lorry as I'm about to exit, and there's about half a km behind me empty in the lane... and a car races up, passes me, then cuts in braking heavily to not hit the lorry... causing me to brake heavily as there's no safe gap and they're overdoing it". Such an inconsiderate moron - just slow and pull in behind where there's tons of space instead of making 2 cars emergency brake to avoid accident. What's more, in doing it that way, neither of us are inconvenienced or dangerous, and it's actually quicker. That's a good rant :D Instead i just calculate whether I could ram them instead and it'd be their fault for dangerous driving or something :P
Well, a "Good Rant" should serve both the ranter and the rantee... :) Both giver and receiver should benefit in some way. The former by some cathartic release of negative emotions and the latter by the positive feelings induced by an entertaining or interesting rant. There's also something else, too - A ranter may actively desire to give the viewer a positive experience rather than just constructing the rant for their own edification. That's the best kind of rant, IMO.

I can't positively benefit too much by experiencing a rant about Vegemite. I dunno wtf it really is, to begin with, and have never encountered it in the wild. BUT, if the ranter constructed their rant with the intent of entertaining the viewer, I'd probably get something positive out of experiencing it even if I didn't understand it all. Those are always the "Award Winning" rants. :)

Here's a "driving related" rant. It's true. It happened to me yesterday. And, since it's related to driving experiences, most people here would understand it so that makes it double-plus good... If someone could write it well. :)

So, an arctic coldaggedon is striking the US right now. It's supposed to be suitably nutshrivelingly cold. It's the "be sure to take your pets inside" cold that results in a ""cats stuck to concrete kind of experience for people who ignore the warnings. (And that own cats) So, what do people do when the local weatherperson tells them that their friggin janglies are going to freeze off and they should expect a quarter-of-an-inch to fifty-feet of snow and ice to accompany it? They go to the darn grocery store.

I had no knowledge of the upcoming coldaggedon. ZERO! I didn't know about it because I don't pay attention to stuffs. All sorts of stuffs, like "clean socks" and "Emergency Weather Alerts" are safely avoided in being known by me. These are life-effecting things that I ignore on purpose because that's just how I roll. So, imagine my surprise when, yet again, the grocery story parking lot was filled with minivans and THERE WAS A LINE OF AUTOS waiting to enter the darn Airport-Sized "HUGE ASS PARKING LOT™" parking lot at the grocery store!

As soon as I saw the line of cars waiting to enter parking lot, I knew - Someone announced a grocery store invasion and my life as a grocery-store shopper would be filled with senior citizens trying to write checks at the register, soccer-moms with kids in tow that may not even be theirs, at least three young kids screaming incoherently at all times because there's always an aisle reserved for that, people who have never, ever, been to a grocery-store before and then people like me, who don't want to be there at all but have run out of food at home. It's either go to the grocery store or shoot my neighbor's cats and eat them. Kind of difficult decision, really, all things considered. I almost turned around, but cat always sticks in my teeth.

Here's the thing and it ties in with the article that I posted above: Do you have any idea what caused the stalling lines to maneuver one's automobile into the "Huge Ass Parking Lot ™" at the grocery store? No, it wasn't simply because there were a lot of people panicking because they didn't have doughnuts, it was because of women in minivans...

(I love women, so don't get me wrong! They're pretty cool. I also fully respect a woman's right to operate a motor vehicle. This is "satire." It's "parody." It's also true, which makes this a fact-filled documentary offered for scientificky purposes.)

See, here's the problem: These grocery-store Valkyries pull into the parking lot and immediately motor to the front of the store entrance as fast as they can, no matter if its a good idea for them to run over toddlers or not. Then, they hit the brakes, hard. I don't mean that they "slow down to a reasonable speed." I mean they slam on the brakes as soon as they get in front of the store entrance. And then, do you know what they do? They increase their "speed" to 1 mph and look down each row of parked cars, using their genetically enhanced capability to detect the closest possible parking space to the entrance to the friggin' grocery store. The closest one out of all the closest ones. The Very Closest. The are all looking for "The One."

This takes time. This means that they must complete a full survey of all the rows of parking spaces. This means that the whole friggin parking lot turns into one giant friggin' Maypole-like dance of road-salt stained minivans ceaselessly circling the parking lot, all looking for "that one parking space that will compete their lives, forever." This also means that Carmageddon is real and people are dying while waiting in the road's turn lane to enter the Huge Ass Parking Lot ™. This means that dozens of pygmies and at least three wallabies have died to minivanpometrically-induced global warming.

Meanwhile, me and the other bachelors-who-dont-give-a-crap deftly maneuver out of the chaos of The Endless Dance will park in the first available space we can find and WALK (that thing people do with their feet) to the entrance of the grocery store. And, you know what? Every single one of us walking to the grocery store was staring at "The Dance" with that squinty "Not quite a wtf is going on here look, but wtf is going on here" look. Every_single_one_of_us. Every traveling pedestrian in that parking lot was rubbernecking at the confusion of minivans. Part of that is simply the act of self-preservation. We were all reminded of our mortality because it's pretty depressing to have to look at the tire marks on the fluffy little toddler-sized Northface jackets littering the ground where ravaging minivans driven by insane Valkyries have claimed yet another victim.

And, those desperate minvan drivers on their holy Crusade to find "THE ONE" parking spot that is closest? They're all on cell-phones, complaining to anyone who will listen that "there aren't any parking spaces at the grocery store."

This happened to me at around 6:00 pm, Monday, January 29'th, 2019. I was able to successfully return home at 6:45'ish pm or so. Once I entered the Huge Ass Parking Lot ™ it took me less than a minute to park my car. I'm sure there were still some minivans that remained caught in "The Dance" as I was making my way home. I was blissfully free.

PS - There is only one thing that I truly enjoyed about going to the grocery store, yesterday. No matter how cold it is outside, no matter terrible weather of any sort, there's a local Yoga Pant Army that is always flowing in and out of a large local health/workout/gym/aerobics/yoga/new-age-crystal-latte complex. They also happen to eat food and, thus, go to the grocery store. Now, some of them shouldn't be wearing yoga pants. It's their "Right", to be sure. But, for some... just no. Don't do it. However, many of the award-winning members of the Yoga Pant Army were in attendance at the grocery store, last night, so at least the scenery was nice... :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 29. Jan 19, 21:03

Great rant Mork, but I now have some really weird images stuck in my mind: :o

1. You snacking on various abandoned cats stuck to concrete while waiting to enter the grocery store.
2. Tyre-marked Northface toddler jackets and sweaty yoga pants being offered cheap in said store's pre-owned bin.
3. The Valkyries charging to the store entrance in their minivans and slamming on the brakes - in the coldaggedon - and so turning the dance into shuntaggedon.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “Off Topic English”