Ranty McRant Thread 2

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 19. Aug 18, 21:31

@ Mighysword
My sympathies, but evey dog has it's day.

Day (?) It's been @$$!# months since my house had a cable connection. Yes I'm way out in the sticks but damn it's only seven miles or so from town! The water main burst after a week of subzero temps and the tore up yards... Meters of cable and two juctions getting to the break. Seems the cable company had permissions from the town, but we're out in the county 3 kilometers from the town limits. Cable company was sued by town and county and sued by us in a class action and the cable company lost. Then won both on appeal... How? Mediacom (Cable company) put on some serious political pressure and half the appeals judges are up for reappointment this year. So it looks like I'll never get cable and because any satellite dish would have to be on on a 20 meter high mast to pick up the signal (which is 5 meters above something that requires Federal Aviation Administration approval which costs $5000 US just to start the process) it's not happening. Which is why I'm stuch with the local stations on antenna or watching YouTube on by smartphone... :headbang:

Oh yeah. The cable was my only internet connection to my PC.
:evil:

Saving grace before was that I inherited my mother's trailer closer to town. It has cable TV. Started to get internet but that would mean dragging my PC there. Not happening. And now the school year is starting and I have a renter moving back in on Monday.

Sometimes life just plain sucks and the only directions you have are towards or away from the vacuum...
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 19. Aug 18, 22:06

BugMeister wrote:this sort of nonsense is everywhere, these days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5KV3rzuag
"Hi, I'm an Overly Enthusiastic Yippy. Today, I'm going to suggest something really stupid in order to get you to click on this link! And then, I'm going to compare it to something that it shouldn't be compared to, just to piss you off and make you keep watching! And then, I'm going to turn reason on its head by making an argument in favor of that stupid idea and I'm going to legitimize it by mentioning some scientificky-sounding thing that's really nothing more than a think-tank that specializes in "What if" ideas.

It's all in the name of "The Holy Church of Science" so anything goes, no matter how damn stupid it is and if you don't agree then you're stupid, because this is SCIENCE!"

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 19. Aug 18, 22:12

@ Morkonan
Amen Brother!
MIND THE GAP

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 19. Aug 18, 23:09

Morkonan wrote: And then, I'm going to turn reason on its head by making an argument in favor of that stupid idea and I'm going to legitimize it by mentioning some scientificky-sounding thing that's really nothing more than a think-tank that specializes in "What if" ideas.
So just like the History Channel then. :D

And the real question is: did you click and watch it? :P

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 19. Aug 18, 23:34

Mightysword wrote:
Morkonan wrote: And then, I'm going to turn reason on its head by making an argument in favor of that stupid idea and I'm going to legitimize it by mentioning some scientificky-sounding thing that's really nothing more than a think-tank that specializes in "What if" ideas.
So just like the History Channel then. :D

And the real question is: did you click and watch it? :P
I did "click and watch it."

Why?

So I could see if I could find a way to make fun of it. :)

By the way, I just checked to see if I could make a quip about this yippie wearing those "skinny jeans" they all like. (For the discriminating male, the "tapered leg" is more appropriately called "English Cut" if you're looking for that look in a suit. I prefer the more roomy and comfortable "American Cut", which leaves room for your collection of extra calories as well as a large caliber handgun..)

Nope.

Instead, it looks like he's wearing the new and fashionable "just left all my laundry in the dryer for a week look."

Or, maybe it's that "I got this job by waiting outside a Home Depot for five hours until a pickup-truck stopped" look.

More likely it's the "I got fired from my "Work At home" I.T. Telephone Customer Service Desk Job And This Is The Best Thing The Temp Service Could Offer Me" look...

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 00:01

Please. Crud about Nasa this and that well here's the only on the schedule:

https://www.space.com/36064-nasa-russia ... talks.html
MIND THE GAP

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 00:06

Self rant.

Why am I stupid and still deeply inhale Shisha smoke when I know it gives me circulation problems? Answer: Because I am stupid.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 00:09

@ clakclak
That's enough to drve you BONG-kers. :wink:
MIND THE GAP

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 00:12

Hank001 wrote:@ clakclak
That's enough to drve you BONG-kers. :wink:
Before anyone gets wrong ideas. We only smoked perfectly legal flavoured tobacco.
Hank001 wrote:BugMeister says about idiotic idea:
- a fantasy..
- just give it up..
- we don't belong anywhere else in the universe - were humans, geddit..?

- a colossal waste of time
- and a colossal waste of money and resources.. :evil:
Oh let me see... Venus. Atmosphereic pressure...92 bars (could crush most metal structures) Mean temperature... 464° C (Balmy if you want to melt aluminum, lead, etc)
Sure! Why not? :roll:
To be fair, the video never advocated for a station on the surface of Venus for exactly that reason. Instead it was about an official NASA concept known as HAVOC.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 00:40

- which looks like yet another preposterous and pointless exercise..
- what next, a space army..??!! :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 03:58

clakclak wrote:..Before anyone gets wrong ideas. We only smoked perfectly legal flavoured tobacco.
I don't smoke Hookahs, but do smoke. I've been trying to switch to just a nicotine vape, but the good stuff is a damn complicated mess to deal with. And, the cheap over-the-counter stuff is cheap and... explodes. (Had one actually attempt to self-destruct on my nightstand in the middle of the night. If I wasn't a light sleeper, it would have burned the house down.)

Your not stupid, you're just like most people that do things that are bad for them because there isn't any immediate feedback that they're bad for them... Go find a replacement addiction. :) Uh, one that is healthier for you. Oranges, maybe? Dunno how you'd smoke 'em, though, but someone has probably figured that out already...
...To be fair, the video never advocated for a station on the surface of Venus for exactly that reason. Instead it was about an official NASA concept known as HAVOC.
Yeah, I get that. But... living space? That's friggin stoopid. We can't even invent a friggin pack of Cheetos that is guaranteed to not asspload all over the place when you try to open it and they're suggesting that a "concept" piece regarding a floating habitat in the atmosphere of Venus is a viable idea? :evil:

And Pringles? The friggin LAST PRINGLE CHIP IN THE CAN MAY AS WELL BE A GOLD PLATED SPACE SHUTTLE FOR ALL I KNOW!

And, the remote control I got from the cable company? It's got fifty-eleven fookin' buttons on it that DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

We have serious issues to solve before we can go about living in the atmosphere of Venus... ;)

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 10:42

Morkonan wrote:
clakclak wrote:..Before anyone gets wrong ideas. We only smoked perfectly legal flavoured tobacco.
I don't smoke Hookahs, but do smoke. I've been trying to switch to just a nicotine vape, but the good stuff is a damn complicated mess to deal with. And, the cheap over-the-counter stuff is cheap and... explodes. (Had one actually attempt to self-destruct on my nightstand in the middle of the night. If I wasn't a light sleeper, it would have burned the house down.)

Your not stupid, you're just like most people that do things that are bad for them because there isn't any immediate feedback that they're bad for them... Go find a replacement addiction. :) Uh, one that is healthier for you. Oranges, maybe? Dunno how you'd smoke 'em, though, but someone has probably figured that out already...

[...]
To be honest I don't think I am addicted, I know that is what every addict says, but I only smoked maybe three times this year.

Hookas can give you pretty direct feedback. If you are not used to smoking (or smoking them) and you inhale to mutch smoke to deeply, you will start to feel dizzy (not in a I am high, way but in a I am sick way), break into sweat and be overall miserable. Especially in shisha bars it isn't to uncommon for people to go unconcious because of carbon monoxide poisoning as the air inside is often really bad.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 23:48

clakclak wrote:To be honest I don't think I am addicted, I know that is what every addict says, but I only smoked maybe three times this year.

Hookas can give you pretty direct feedback. If you are not used to smoking (or smoking them) and you inhale to mutch smoke to deeply, you will start to feel dizzy (not in a I am high, way but in a I am sick way), break into sweat and be overall miserable. Especially in shisha bars it isn't to uncommon for people to go unconcious because of carbon monoxide poisoning as the air inside is often really bad.
You're probably right - Not addicted.

I was pretty surprised when I learned of the rising popularity of "Hookah Bars" here. I had no idea at the time, but it seems that young people have taken up the fad and I have no idea "why." I mean, sure, I understand the adoption of a new social thing, but friggin "hookah?" WTF?

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a another new social ritual of sitting in a circle and beating themselves in the head with a brick.

Anyway, there was a whole expose' thing talking about how many hookah bars had opened, mostly within/above/near regular bars and gathering places. It's better than an opium den, I guess.

If you're having fun with your friends, don't beat yourself up too much over it. Just don't over-indulge to the point where your lungs are burning up for days afterwards. :)

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 23:59

Morkonan wrote:
clakclak wrote:To be honest I don't think I am addicted, I know that is what every addict says, but I only smoked maybe three times this year.

You're probably right - Not addicted.

I was pretty surprised when I learned of the rising popularity of "Hookah Bars" here. I had no idea at the time, but it seems that young people have taken up the fad and I have no idea "why." I mean, sure, I understand the adoption of a new social thing, but friggin "hookah?" WTF?

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a another new social ritual of sitting in a circle and beating themselves in the head with a brick.

Anyway, there was a whole expose' thing talking about how many hookah bars had opened, mostly within/above/near regular bars and gathering places. It's better than an opium den, I guess.

If you're having fun with your friends, don't beat yourself up too much over it. Just don't over-indulge to the point where your lungs are burning up for days afterwards. :)
Haha no I won't. Certainly won't somke again in the near future after having such a bad experience with it.

I certainly know why those bars are popular in Germany. The large amount of Turkish immigrants that came to Germany in the 60s and 70s brought them with them and since then many Germans also have taken to like them.

I assume the reason they are pretty popular in the Muslim world is because Muslims officially are not allowed to drink alcohol so they take to smoking instead. That being said most of the German muslims I know really don't seem to care about that rule and most of those bars also sell alcohol like normal bars. Then again there is barely anything that doesn't sell alcohol in Germany. You can even buy beer at McDonalds (and you can buy hard liqure at gas stations which apperently sometimes seems strange to americans but rather normal in Europe).
Last edited by clakclak on Tue, 21. Aug 18, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 21. Aug 18, 00:01

apparently, you can vape weed as well
someone's already perfected the "magic" potion.. :)
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 21. Aug 18, 00:07

BugMeister wrote:apparently, you can vape weed as well
You can, from all I heared it is the prefered intakte method for people who use it medically. But we already had a long discussion about weed in another topic and like I said this was the legal stuff we were smoking.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 21. Aug 18, 02:26

Vaping? Well it might be better than damn cookies that taste like chewing sugar coated rope. :shock:
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 21. Aug 18, 19:35

clakclak wrote:
BugMeister wrote:apparently, you can vape weed as well
You can, from all I heard it is the preferred intake method for people who use it medically. But we already had a long discussion about weed in another topic and like I said this was the legal stuff we were smoking.
Apparently I can have it for medical use (in some form or other), I haven't investigated or asked for it because I'm not all that interested in adding another drug to the mix I have to take.

I wasn't aware that cannabis in leaf form was legal in the UK for medical use, but apparently it is now.

Doesn't matter to me, don't want it, not from any 'drugs are bad' thing, I just don't.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 21. Aug 18, 19:51

Chips wrote::evil:
Handed in my notice as I've received an offer to be a contractor (which means more money) in my sector. Current employer now threatening legal action over covenants in contract.
Update to how this went. Kinda as follows from the initial postingst:

1) Threats from company about legal action in letters, demanding I confirm things.

2) Legal letter from lawyers saying they're starting injunction proceedings to prevent me from working.

3) Seek legal advice from relative who turns out to be a barrister, and has dealt extensively with employment law.

4) Company part back down with action, but still make sounds like they "reserve the right" to take legal action at some point.

5) Other employees kick off massively over how I'm being treated by management, near (verbal) riots in workplace (and one quit!).

6) Company fully backs down, apologises, and wishes me well in new role.

7) ... Profit?

So from :evil: to 8)

But what a massive balls up - they were mental. So while relieved all done and dusted, and safe - how it ever got to that point was just... insane.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 21. Aug 18, 20:59

Chips wrote:
Chips wrote::evil:
Handed in my notice as I've received an offer to be a contractor (which means more money) in my sector. Current employer now threatening legal action over covenants in contract.
Update to how this went. Kinda as follows from the initial postingst:

1) Threats from company about legal action in letters, demanding I confirm things.

2) Legal letter from lawyers saying they're starting injunction proceedings to prevent me from working.

3) Seek legal advice from relative who turns out to be a barrister, and has dealt extensively with employment law.

4) Company part back down with action, but still make sounds like they "reserve the right" to take legal action at some point.

5) Other employees kick off massively over how I'm being treated by management, near (verbal) riots in workplace (and one quit!).

6) Company fully backs down, apologises, and wishes me well in new role.

7) ... Profit?

So from :evil: to 8)

But what a massive balls up - they were mental. So while relieved all done and dusted, and safe - how it ever got to that point was just... insane.
Sounds like a massive headache. Good to year that everything went all right.

Return to “Off Topic English”