2018 FIFA World Cup

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

How interested are you in this World Cup?

Poll ended at Thu, 12. Jul 18, 22:49

I'll be watching as many games as I can.
24%
I'll be watching the games my country plays in.
15%
I'll be following everything live online (text & clips) or on radio.
2%
I'll read reports about my team's games and the big games.
2%
I'll absorb what I see/hear, but I won't go looking for anything.
24%
I'm planning a holiday to the far side of the moon to get away from it.
32%

Total votes: 41

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 6. Jul 18, 16:35

Mightysword wrote:Look at how many leagues exists within ONE country in Europe.
Well to be fair, we are doing it for over a century and football is so much hyped around here that it suck the life of much any other sport, so the other side of that coin is that (male) football is huge and anything else is tiny in comparison. Which then has some rather negative impacts in society. For example rallying people to other stuff and if you do other stuff, make sure to not schedule it around football times if you want people to attend. :roll:

MFG

Ketraar

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 6. Jul 18, 17:21

the commentary is once again abysmal
- we had moronic comments about a Nissan Micra in the first half
- and the idiotic "at this moment in time" instead of "now" at the start of the second..

- pure Alan Partridge.. :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Fri, 6. Jul 18, 21:20

BugMeister wrote:- pure Alan Partridge.. :lol:
I have to watch that clip at the start of every tournament.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 6. Jul 18, 23:34

OK, WTF is happening? I don't follow football, but even I know we've gone a long way off script when Belgium beat Brazil! :o

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 6. Jul 18, 23:36

pjknibbs wrote:OK, WTF is happening? I don't follow football, but even I know we've gone a long way off script when Belgium beat Brazil! :o
Belgium played really well, their front three were terrifying. Brazil didn't play well. Unless you count Neymar's play acting anyway.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Fri, 6. Jul 18, 23:54

Well, the world cup finally gets interesting. Will France win? Will England bring it home or will Belgium laughing in the end? Now everything could happen.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Fri, 6. Jul 18, 23:54

I think you have an old script there Paul - Belgium are fifth in the FIFA rankings. Brazil were rightly favourites, but not particularly strong ones. Looking at performances in the tournament so far, I don't think it's really much of a surprise.

I managed to pick Belgium in the office sweepstake; but I picked it for a colleague who also felt they weren't a good side. Looks like I should have offered to swap for my Brazil!
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Len5

Post by Len5 » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 01:17

Belgium has some good players, but they've been very lucky for many years now. Pretty easy qualifying and first round groups and they hardly played against strong countries.
The first strong team they encountered at the previous WC was in the 1/4 finals and they lost.
This time again in the 1/4 (match against England doesn't really count) and they won with a lot of luck and also just barely beat Japan, a weak team, in the 1/8 finals.

But often not the best but the luckiest won in the end, so I guess they've got a very good chance to win it.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 01:25

Cpt.Jericho wrote:Well, the world cup finally gets interesting. Will France win? Will England bring it home or will Belgium laughing in the end? Now everything could happen.
Well there are also Russia, Croatia and Sweden still in the tournament.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 01:34

As I said, now pretty much everything can happen.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 02:08

RegisterMe wrote: Belgium played really well, their front three were terrifying. Brazil didn't play well. Unless you count Neymar's play acting anyway.
Yeah, about the only thing missing from this match is Neymar getting a yellow for diving, and he really should have. If things went his way Brazil would have won this match, since he tried to fake at least 2 penalties.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 07:19

They should give post match fines for dives, headbutts etc. No place in the game, just boring BS and the players should have a consequence with video evidence.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 18:39

Well, we won! I guess that means Xenon_Slayer owes someone in the office a pizza, right? :D

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 18:53

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Xenon_Slayer wrote:Unfortunately, the Germans in the office will have to put up with an insufferable Brit and Swede for a while.
*insufferablility intensifies*
Oi, at this point I think if you haven't showed up early at the office to post stickers on everyone monitors, you should. ;)

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 19:54

One hopes that Xenon_Slayer has admin rights to all the Egosoft workstations. Much potential fun to be had that way. Possibly also worthy of dismissal.... but could be worth it in the circumstances :).

Anyway, on a more serious note, yes, England won. Solid, competent and professional. Admittedly it was against a solid, competent, professional and slightly less skilled Sweden team but they're not going to set the world alight like that.

Still, job done, I'll take it.
I can't breathe.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 20:52

Croatia will be the real test for England. ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 21:24

RegisterMe wrote:One hopes that Xenon_Slayer has admin rights to all the Egosoft workstations.
Maybe everytime there's a successful X4 compilation, instead of the success sound, it plays Three Lions.

Code: Select all

<set_value name="$ItsComingHome" exact="true"/>
But, given the quality of games we've had so far, that game was a bit lacking.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 21:56

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
RegisterMe wrote:One hopes that Xenon_Slayer has admin rights to all the Egosoft workstations.
Maybe everytime there's a successful X4 compilation, instead of the success sound, it plays Three Lions.

Code: Select all

<set_value name="$ItsComingHome" exact="true"/>
But, given the quality of games we've had so far, that game was a bit lacking.
Ermm, lol, not sure whether you're talking about football on X games ;).

EDIT: Also, as neutral, I thought it was great. Not the most skilful (how weird is the spelling of that word????) or beautiful maybe, but neither team had anything left in the tank at the end of normal time. In the main too both teams played without cynicism and with respect for the other team, which is something I appreciate and respect. It'll be interesting to see how extra time plays out.

And as, ahhemmm, a neutral, the fact that it's gone to extra time is no bad thing :).
I can't breathe.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 22:26

RegisterMe wrote:
Xenon_Slayer wrote: But, given the quality of games we've had so far, that game was a bit lacking.
Ermm, lol, not sure whether you're talking about football on X games ;).
Shots fired. Hull breach!

But yeah, the England - Sweden game may have been one of the most civil and respectful so far. So apparently, what I desire is injury and destruction...

<meanwhile in the Russia - Croatia game>

I'm starting to think we need an emergency sub rule. Some of these guys are on their last legs, especially the Croatian keeper.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 22:41

Not subbing the Croatian keeper was a ballsy move, but it necessitated Croatia winning in extra time.....
I can't breathe.

Return to “Off Topic English”