2018 FIFA World Cup

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

How interested are you in this World Cup?

Poll ended at Thu, 12. Jul 18, 22:49

I'll be watching as many games as I can.
24%
I'll be watching the games my country plays in.
15%
I'll be following everything live online (text & clips) or on radio.
2%
I'll read reports about my team's games and the big games.
2%
I'll absorb what I see/hear, but I won't go looking for anything.
24%
I'm planning a holiday to the far side of the moon to get away from it.
32%

Total votes: 41

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 17:12

I was sad to see the English fail, but Croatia vs France should make for a fun final. :)
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 20:09

I wonder what's going on Kalinic's mind right now. Imagine missing a once a life time chance to represent your country because you couldn't reign in your ego.

Len5

Post by Len5 » Fri, 13. Jul 18, 15:29

Infantino said this was the best World Cup ever and thus came to the conclusion that his predictions came true.
He also spoke for everyone when he told Putin that we all fell in love with Russia.

Really no shame at all. Everyone would clearly recognize this puppet-show, still they went through with it.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 19:01

Viva la France.
4 to 2 over Croatia.

Who would have thought?

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

World Cup 2018: France beat Croatia 4-2 in World Cup final - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44754965
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 19:31

Rapier wrote:
RegisterMe wrote:...Croatia deserved to win...
This kind of statement is one of the things that turns me off football. Pundits in particular (not picking on you, RegisterMe, just using as an example) often talk about who 'deserved to win' like football is marked out of 10 by judges. It's not. It's a game of tactics and skill where the 'better' team (a team with more skill & strength) can lose if their opposition plays tactically better, or even just gets lucky.
Well, just to poke fun at Rapier, France deserved to win this one :). That Mbappe is brilliant, and terrifying, and yet still incomplete and unfinished. If he can avoid injury he's going to be one of the greats.

And thank you Russia, that was a fantastic World Cup.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 19:37

RegisterMe congratulates:
And thank you Russia, that was a fantastic World Cup.
I second that. After a shaky start Russia did a commendable
hosting job. When they come (If were still here) to the US I
doubt we'll do as well.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Mon, 16. Jul 18, 01:14

RegisterMe wrote:That Mbappe is brilliant, and terrifying, and yet still incomplete and unfinished. If he can avoid injury he's going to be one of the greats.
So was Michael Owen, once.

I quite like this take on the presentation ceremony: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44840943
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 16. Jul 18, 07:47

It was odd, yeah, but I thought the Croatian president did herself and her country proud.

EDIT: Quite some storm too :).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 16. Jul 18, 13:19

So that's it?
We have determined who the best football team is and no more football is required for at least a generation? Please?
:roll:

Turns out I didn't watch a single match. I almost watch England's semi-final but in the end decided I had better things to do and instead resolved to watch the final if they made it through. The England team chose to absolve me of that obligation. :roll:
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 16. Jul 18, 17:26

Bishop149 wrote:So that's it?
We have determined who the best football team is and no more football is required for at least a generation?
Depends...are generations only 4 years long as far as you're concerned? (And that's ignoring the European Cup).

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 16. Jul 18, 18:08

pjknibbs wrote:Depends...are generations only 4 years long as far as you're concerned? (And that's ignoring the European Cup).
The generation time for a professional footballer is an interesting question, how long is the average player good enough to be worthy of inclusion in the world cup team? I'd imagine its longer than 4 years, I remember the England squad being essentially immutable for most of my youth . . . ~8-10 years? It also likely varies a fair bit by position, in particular Goalie. They seem to have very long careers.

To switch to a completely different sport, the 100m sprint. Usain Bolt winning gold at 2 consecutive Olympics and thus having maintained top form for at least 4 years (likely longer) was considered very impressive, three is (currently) considered impossible. I'd fascinated to see if this actually held up but sadly he retired.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Mon, 16. Jul 18, 18:48

Back to the poll options, I'd like to add my own, just for fun's sake:
-"I'll lock myself inside of a small prison complex and throw away the key"
... which is more or less what I did.

I had an "escape from the room" activity during the match. It was prison themed.
We "escaped" in time for the second half though, so all in all, despite my best efforts, I have to admit I failed to be unexposed to the match. :shock:
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Return to “Off Topic English”