Cyberpunk 2077

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 30. Aug 18, 17:10

fiksal wrote:A little disappointed it's an FPS, I am getting a bit too tired of shooters;
Just a note: I haven't dug deep, but there are rumors it's First or Third person, so that might be a bit better? /shrug

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 30. Aug 18, 17:15

Morkonan wrote:
fiksal wrote:A little disappointed it's an FPS, I am getting a bit too tired of shooters;
Just a note: I haven't dug deep, but there are rumors it's First or Third person, so that might be a bit better? /shrug
a little?

I got tired of shooting and blowing things up... mostly because it's usually one sided. The main character is always so dominating over NPCs that appear to be as advanced but really are just punching bags.

Which in this last game video is shown all too well. The player picks up auto locking weapons, hacks and wall climbing abilities, where NPCs apparently not meant to use any of those; even though they had it right in front of their faces.

Probably why I enjoyed STALKER games - the playing field was more level.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 30. Aug 18, 17:36

fiksal wrote:
Morkonan wrote:
a little?

I got tired of shooting and blowing things up... mostly because it's usually one sided. The main character is always so dominating over NPCs that appear to be as advanced but really are just punching bags.

Which in this last game video is shown all too well. The player picks up auto locking weapons, hacks and wall climbing abilities, where NPCs apparently not meant to use any of those; even though they had it right in front of their faces.

^--- This.

(I haven't played any of the STALKER games, though.)

I can't stand "super power player characters." You're entirely right when you point out that the player in those vids is showing off exceptional abilities that virtually guarantee success as well as lots of cool explosions... I prefer a bit more drama and risk, up front, rather than streams of meaningless enemies I can shrug off. I want to have to develop some actual "skill" in order to be successful.

I haven't played any of the more recent (ie: Last friggin' decade) FPS games. Some look to be a lot more "realistic" than others, but there are a bunch of them that only shine when played in multiplayer. (ie: ARMA, etc)

It's old as heck, but if played at the appropriate difficulty level, it's suitably realistic - M&B:Warband. :) And, it rewards "skill" due to its awesome combat system. When it comes down to combat, that's generally my go-to game. Though, I've also enjoyed Star Wars Battlefront II (old version) and did enjoy the first reboot of that in multiplayer, for awhile.

Anyway, the point being that I agree with you in that games that give the player a huge advantage over most enemies in terms of special abilities aren't games I really like that much. They can be pretty, with huge 'splosions and cool effects, but that isn't exactly "depth of play."

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Thu, 30. Aug 18, 17:39

fiksal wrote:
Morkonan wrote:
a little?

Did you not listen to the narrator who said that for this demonstration they will be unlocking those more advanced features? in other words, they were basically unlocking the digital-nano ages of Empire Earth against primitive tribes in level comparison which in cyberpunk is a measure of 'street cred' I don't believe things will be as easy as the demo showed, but that is definitely a valid concern.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 30. Aug 18, 19:17

to reiterate, I am not saying that it's not a good game or a good shooter. This is just what was shown.

Morkonan wrote: I prefer a bit more drama and risk, up front, rather than streams of meaningless enemies I can shrug off. I want to have to develop some actual "skill" in order to be successful.
right? being RPG and all...
theeclownbroze wrote: Did you not listen to the narrator who said that for this demonstration they will be unlocking those more advanced features? in other words, they were basically unlocking the digital-nano ages of Empire Earth against primitive tribes in level comparison which in cyberpunk is a measure of 'street cred' I don't believe things will be as easy as the demo showed, but that is definitely a valid concern.
Yeah I heard that. And there's no way to know how close this is to real game. If they wanted to show overpowered abilities, maybe they should've picked overpowered enemies. The claim is that this is 'the' gameplay... so...

In their demo, the auto locking rifle was laying right in the enemy base... so, that wasnt unlocking anything, it was right there. The enemies only used the through-walls-rifle to little or no effect.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 30. Aug 18, 21:38

It is CD Project Red, so far they are not exactly known for making especially easy games. Or maybe I am just really bad at Witcher. :lol:
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Fri, 31. Aug 18, 10:42

fiksal wrote:Probably why I enjoyed STALKER games - the playing field was more level.
And with you understanding russian and maybe using a russian version of the game, STALKER is even better, because of the AWESOME! modding community over there, creating real gems of gameplay and mods. :)

Though sadly for most of you, the best mod made for STALKER is a german one.

Regarding Cyberpunk 2077, the "gameplay" video they showed looked again like a scripted movie. If you look alone at the movement pattern of the character, the way the view goes around, that's so awful to look at, it makes me a headache, that slow constant speed of turning, noone does such things, it's not natural.

I'm sure it will be a good game, but it will not be what everyone hopes for.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 31. Aug 18, 12:45

silenced wrote:that slow constant speed of turning, noone does such things, it's not natural.
That depends what they're using to control the game. If they were using mouse and keyboard, sure, it wouldn't be right, but if they're using a console controller turning at a constant speed is pretty much all you can do.

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Fri, 31. Aug 18, 13:42

I'm also a little (quite a lot) disappointed in it appearing to be a FPS, I quite like FPS games but, I suppose I was hoping for a Cyberpunk version of Witcher 3.
pjknibbs wrote:
silenced wrote:that slow constant speed of turning, noone does such things, it's not natural.
That depends what they're using to control the game. If they were using mouse and keyboard, sure, it wouldn't be right, but if they're using a console controller turning at a constant speed is pretty much all you can do.
Consoles have had analogue controllers for quite some time now :)
Nowhere near as variable as M&K but still, I thought the fluid turning was for cinematic purposes to show off the game while not making the viewer projectile vomit due to erratic twitchy movements.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 31. Aug 18, 13:51

Avis wrote:...I thought the fluid turning was for cinematic purposes to show off the game while not making the viewer projectile vomit due to erratic twitchy movements.
Most likely this is the case.

However, it can also help to hide framerate drops due to engine optimization problems. Either the frames get dropped, in that case, or the quick turn ends up hanging as the engine chugs through digesting rendering all the new objects. (Bunches of "new stuffs" in bug chunks usually get introduced when the player turns their pov in any game.)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 31. Aug 18, 15:51

Avis wrote: Consoles have had analogue controllers for quite some time now :)
Yes, but there's still a maximum speed you can turn at using one, and 99% of the time you'll be using the max turn rate, which is the point I was making.

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Fri, 31. Aug 18, 15:52

What's even getting me more hyped is that I just realized now that the artist "Perturbator" famous for their synth wave / retro music was hinted to feature in this game, seems cd project red contacted them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B7-Vcdlld8 some cyberpunk looking music video

and the hint here: https://ask.fm/Perturbatormusic/answers/142355958752

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 31. Aug 18, 16:22

theeclownbroze wrote:What's even getting me more hyped is that I just realized now that the artist "Perturbator" famous for their synth wave / retro music was hinted to feature in this game, seems cd project red contacted them...
Ah, the "let's get a known music artist that fits the genre" plug! It does generate a good bit of "hype." Sometimes deserved, sometimes not.

Remember - Blade Runner had Vangelis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccJJ0uxigVA

Beautiful... Like Williams with Star Wars, a good composer/musical talent can truly "make" a movie. Or, a game. :) Christopher Tin - CivIV "Baba Yetu"

As soon as a movie or game can proclaim the name of a known musical artist, its artistic craft and quality is implied to be improved over other competing projects.

"Highlander" had Queen and that was a pretty big draw for fans.

Highlander - Queen - "Who wants to live forever"

Why all the movie comparisons? The computer game market is bigger than the movie industry, these days. And, drawing an audience for the product uses very similar marketing techniques, the quality of the "experience" and the "presentation" being the biggest.

And, of course, we love our own beloved X music!

X3TC OST (Note: I believe this was OK'd for general public release. If not, delete pls! I do so love X3TC's music!)

PS - Vangelis or Jean-Michel Jarre would be really good choices.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 31. Aug 18, 16:35

silenced wrote:
fiksal wrote:Probably why I enjoyed STALKER games - the playing field was more level.
And with you understanding russian and maybe using a russian version of the game, STALKER is even better, because of the AWESOME! modding community over there, creating real gems of gameplay and mods. :)

Though sadly for most of you, the best mod made for STALKER is a german one.
Oh for sure, even without mods it's pretty cool to just sit by the campfire with NPCs, listen to their jokes and stories.

Even the ending in first STALKER is a bit more clear, because the Monolith talks to you briefly, in Russian.

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Fri, 31. Aug 18, 17:29

Morkonan wrote: Ah, the "let's get a known music artist that fits the genre" plug! It does generate a good bit of "hype." Sometimes deserved, sometimes not.
For me it was different, I was listening to a perturbator song prior to knowing this and in my mind I was thinking how great it would be to combine the artist with the game, and voila a few comments in the youtube section down was a comment mirroring these exact same thoughts, and the best part was that the devs were thinking the exact same thing since now it is hinted they are working together. So it was just a reaction from me of "so much yes" when things go the way you wish them to.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 1. Sep 18, 00:10

theeclownbroze wrote:...So it was just a reaction from me of "so much yes" when things go the way you wish them to.
I had the same reaction when I learned Queen was doing the soundtrack for Highlander. Of course, I was delighted when I learned ACDC did the sountrack for Maximum Overdrive, too. :)

Music is a pretty important part of video games. I think it always has been. Sure, there was a time when there wasn't really "music" in video games. The "thud thud thud" for Space Invaders isn't exactly "music." But, you combine that with the player firing and various 'splosions and you can manage a "beat."

"Deafening Silence." How often is that an attractive quality in a video game? I'm really trying to think when true "silence" has ever presented a value-added game element. Maybe in some "stealth" game situations? Just to make the action phase that much more dramatic?

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Tue, 11. Sep 18, 01:59

A cross between Deus Ex and GTA V? Sign me up! Mankind Divided had lots of wasted opportunities (e.g. Golem City) but it seems that this game will deliver.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 11. Sep 18, 02:32

Important question... should I finish the last Deus Ex now that I was reminded of it

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Tue, 11. Sep 18, 07:00

All you need to play or finish is the original Deus Ex.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Tue, 11. Sep 18, 10:31

silenced wrote:All you need to play or finish is the original Deus Ex.
Agreed. Yet to be topped by any of the sequel / prequels. :)

Return to “Off Topic English”