So Other than GamerGate, Brexit, and Trump What's New?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Wed, 19. Sep 18, 20:19

fiksal wrote:Wait, is your hang up with the word "equality"?
"the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, and opportunities."
Which of the words is a problem word for you?
Let's go with "status" and apply it to the concept in justice of "burden of proof". In a just system the burden of proof is not equal but placed on the prosecution; the alternative is the Star Chamber, both its literal incarnation and its Feminist reincarnation. In most circumstances innocent people can't actually prove their innocence against made-up charges nor defend themselves from arbitrary prosecution or political persecution.

But even compared to the Star Chamber Feminist "equality" perverts burden-of-proof doctrine still further: because of Crystal Mangum's race and sex being historically unequal relative to those of the accused the "historical injustice" was essentially added to the burden of proof, making it insurmountable.

Never mind the bank records proving their innocence: Crystal Mangum's Progressive Stack overrides hard evidence. This is Feminist "equality".
fiksal wrote:I skipped this the first time because I've no idea
It's a bit boring to watch boring videos
oh well in that case, I am convinced, the made up tyrannies neither affect me nor I really care
Paul Nungesser is innocent.
Feels good man
No doubt.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 19. Sep 18, 21:00

Aye Capn wrote: In a just system the burden of proof is not equal but placed on the prosecution;
That system works for me.
Aye Capn wrote:because of Crystal Mangum's race and sex being historically unequal relative to those of the accused the "historical injustice" was essentially added to the burden of proof, making it insurmountable.
Is that a person's name? I get a feeling you keep posting all those names hoping I'll look them up. And yet I dont see how he or she has anything to do with dictionary definition of equality.

Crimes must be treated equally regardless or victim's or perpetrator's sex. That's one example of equality.

If / Since you dont agree with that, I am not sure what to even tell you.

Aye Capn wrote: Paul Nungesser is innocent.
Never met him.

Dr Venture is innocent as well.

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 15:52

Defending Feminism through willful ignorance is ... unique. Even Johnathan Rabe wasn't willfully ignorant; he honestly didn't know the nature of the masters he served.

You've already admitted you don't agree with the Feminist conception of "Equality", but cognitive dissonance blocks you from thinking that through any further.

Refusing to acknowledge they exist doesn't make the injustices of Feminist Social Justice any less horrific, nor does it change the nature of an ideology which in the name of Equality persecutes the innocent.
Atticus Finch, [i]To Kill a Mockingbird[/i] wrote: Someone in this courtroom is guilty, but it is not my client.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 16:23

This thread seems to have been started as flamebait and it doesn't seem to have progressed much beyond that. I'll give it one last chance to have a pleasant chat about what's happened in the last few years, but if people can't manage to keep it from becoming a spill-over from the politics of the Trump thread then I'll close this one and the discussion can carry on there.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 17:17

@Aye Capn, your war with clear definitions and English language is a nonsense to me. As an engineer one must remove the noise to get to the basics.

I know exactly why you are anti feminism and anti equality, and anti a few more things.

So it seems like everything was "discussed" already

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 19:16

@Aye Capn - you quoted me, for something I never said.

#ChipsIsInnocent

As for anything and everything else, as there's a lot in here, I'm glad some don't view the concept of equality of sexes as bad. That's literally *it* for me.

However, it's a shame some people believe the entire idea of "feminism" is being a represented by someone alleging rape in a singular case. Or even a small handful of cases. It's even more disappointing that those few examples are therefore taken and run with as being representative of an entire, otherwise reasonable, belief.

There are billions of women in the world, and billions of men. Saying "I believe in feminism" (as defined by the actual dictionary of being equality for sexes) shouldn't be a contentious, or controversial, thing to admit. It shouldn't be hard. It shouldn't require "But there's this case of a guy, against a girl..." arguments that try and dismiss "feminism" as being about perverting justice. It doesn't require counter examples of extreme extremes. It's really easy to say "equality between sexes is a good thing".

Attempting to spin something so innocent into a bad thing based upon a tiny tiny tiny minority and their interpretation is ridiculous. Stop banging on about some guy who is supposedly innocent over some alleged circumstance - it isn't relevant to feminism as an idea. It doesn't define what feminism means. Remotely. If it does (for you) then ...

If you hear the word "feminism" and immediately you're against whatever is coming next, based on that word, without bothering to go any further to actually evaluate... then... seriously. Awful. And that appears to be what is happening. *That* is depressing.

p.s. Radicals haven't co-opted the word. You only ever notice it, or think about it, when there's a negative connotation and outrage to be had.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 20:00

Chips wrote: However, it's a shame some people believe the entire idea of "feminism" is being a represented by someone alleging rape in a singular case.
Maybe, and just maybe, the ones who try painting it with that brush would still do it if that case did not exist. And I mean maybe, there are people who dont think women should be equal to men, in terms of laws, social status, jobs, or rights. And all this talk about justice is just nonsense.

Crazy, I know, but maybe. It's my working assumption.

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 20:54

Alrighty then!

Lets have some current news:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/09/15 ... -home.html
Dalai Lama wrote: 'Europe belongs to Europeans' and refugees should ultimately go back home
Kinda puts a dent in the idea of open borders hey ;)
Europe, for example Germany, cannot become an Arab country. Germany is Germany. There are so many that in practice it becomes difficult."
Now some people have taken umbridge to this:

https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/stat ... 6295852033

Reminder that the US government-backed Dalai Lama (a longtime CIA asset) is an extreme reactionary who is now doing racist dog-whistling to European fascists

I've been trolled by alt-right fascists for the past few days because I pointed out the uncontroversial fact that the US, and specifically the CIA, has a long history of supporting the reactionary Dalai Lama in order to undermine China
To which a commentator responded:

Were they alt right fascists or are they just making fun of you for saying stupid things?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

So apparently the Dalai Lama is now a far fight extreme reactionary! Ouch thats quite some level of ideological twisting!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Meanwhile China continues to oppress people (including its campaign in Tibet) but recently has stepped up its social standing system https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/16/1713 ... in-tickets

TLDR do anything the Chinese government does not like and say goodbye to your tight to travel.
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 21:03

Chips wrote:@Aye Capn - you quoted me, for something I never said.[...]
I won't get back into this discussion just to clear this up, the quote a few pages back is from me. I assume Aye Capn quoted multiple people and lost track of who said what. Happens often with this BB-code system.

Edit: Edited out something that was contradicting my "I won't get back into this discussion" line.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 22:00

Chips wrote:#ChipsIsInnocent
You are, and I apologize.
The Real Chips This Time wrote:It's really easy to say "equality between sexes is a good thing".
Not to those educated in the perversions of justice past and present done in the name of "equality".

"Equality" as in "the burden of proof is equally on the defendant" (which of course Feminists in practice exceed; ref: Duke Lacrosse) is tyranny.

The Suffragettes believed in a good kind of equality, the equal right of women and men to vote, but Susan B. Anthony never marched for the cause of castration without waiting for an investigation nor demanded accusations be treated as proof of guilt.

The word "Equality" has been used to so gruesomely pervert justice in so many ways -- not just by Feminists but unjust ideologues throughout history -- it should be seen as suspect, a red flag, until the details are revealed. In the case of Feminism the revelations of Duke Lacrosse, Phi Kappa Psi, Paul Nungesser, and a whole host of innocent men railroaded by campus kangaroo courts justify the skepticism.

The correct answer to any question beginning with, "Do you believe in the equality of ..." is, "Show me what you mean by 'equality'." Show me, don't tell me, show me.
Or even a small handful of cases.
Yeah, who cares about those guys, right? You're Feminists.

Horrifying as this attitude is it's based on a false assumption. On campuses all across America (and Britain too from what I've read) Feminist kangaroo courts are the rule, not the exception. Betsy DeVos is changing that, slowly, but it will take a long time before real justice finally defeats Feminist Social Justice. In the meantime those of us who know the truth about Feminism must continue to teach it.
based upon a tiny tiny tiny minority
How many Feminists called for due process and rejected the calls for castration within, say, a month of the Group of 88 endorsing the Potbangers to howls of applause from Feminists online, in print, and especially in academia?

A few dissidents like Camille Paglia criticized the rush to judgment a few years later. Where, I wonder, were these "majority of Feminists" of whom you speak opposing rather than endorsing the Group of 88, the Potbangers, and their grisly sentence?
fiksal wrote:... as an engineer ...
... shouldn't you be guided by evidence of what a thing is?

I'm at war with what Feminists call "equality" because judged on its expression it is injustice, but of course as you've already stated multiple times you're ignoring the evidence as it is in your words "boring".
... the ones who try painting it with that brush would still do it if that case did not exist ...
From willful ignorance to the unpersoning of Paul Nungesser? Then a pivot to an attack on my character for daring to bring him up. How typically Feminist.

The point isn't an innocent man railroaded and falsely accused by a Senator but speculation over whether I would complain even if he'd been treated fairly. I guess we'll just never know ... but consider the possibility that Paul Nungesser's case is both bigger than and not about me.
CBJ wrote:This thread seems to have been started as flamebait ... Trump ...
I didn't imagine GamerGate would be so controversial among gamers, especially a game as freewheeling as the X-Series, with Brett high on spaceweed admiring Saya Kho's spacesuit and Julian's Pirate Lover demanding to be treated like a woman and the Boob Window fashion critiques of the Skunk's flashy co-pilot. Sarkeesian would nuke the X Series from orbit.

I did expect a lot of anti-Trump flames, but I didn't vote for him so that was to be my defense and end the conversation. There's 500+ pages of Trump thread for crying out loud.

Things have not at all turned out as I expected them to.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 23. Sep 18, 21:58

Aye Capn wrote:
fiksal wrote:... as an engineer ...
... shouldn't you be guided by evidence of what a thing is?

I'm at war with what Feminists call "equality" because judged on its expression it is injustice, but of course as you've already stated multiple times you're ignoring the evidence as it is in your words "boring".
I am guided by evidence and definitions.

I am glad you are finally getting it. I will call any unrelated evidence as " boring ".

... the ones who try painting it with that brush would still do it if that case did not exist ...
From willful ignorance to the unpersoning of Paul Nungesser? Then a pivot to an attack on my character for daring to bring him up. How typically Feminist.
Here you go with " willful ignorance ". It's not so dire, think about it more like not caring about the cause that is not mine. I am more interested in more severe injustices in the criminal system.

Who has attacked you? Did you deserve it?

I didn't imagine GamerGate would be so controversial among gamers, especially a game as freewheeling as the X-Series, with Brett high on spaceweed admiring Saya Kho's spacesuit and Julian's Pirate Lover demanding to be treated like a woman and the Boob Window fashion critiques of the Skunk's flashy co-pilot. Sarkeesian would nuke the X Series from orbit.
That makes two of us. I didn't expect to see any gamer gaters by now, thought they all melted away by their keyboards, or just went back to 4chan.

And here of all the places, where the crowd tends to be more mature.

but I didn't vote for him so that was to be my defense and end the conversation.
What, no? My condolences.

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 18:52

fiksal wrote:I am guided by evidence and definitions.

I am glad you are finally getting it. I will call any unrelated evidence as " boring ".
I got it a long time ago:
Aye Capn wrote:... cognitive dissonance ...
Critical theory does hold to a perception-based subjective definition of "truth", and critical theory is the underpinning of modern Feminism, so a selective-truth defense is not out-of-line with mainstream Feminism.
Who has attacked you? Did you deserve it?
Again, this isn't about me. Rather than litigate personal attacks I will simply reiterate that Paul Nungesser is innocent. Whatever my motives for saying it, however much you might question those motives, he remains just as innocent.
And here of all the places, where the crowd tends to be more mature.
We're simply too niche to have been attacked. The Feminist morality police were after bigger fish. Even on the "big list of problematic video games" featured in the video X:Rebirth is still too small. The Skunk's coquettish co-pilot just isn't famous enough to make the grade as an avatar of Feminist victimology.

"It's not going to happen to me," is a justified belief, then and now. Feminists would have to censor an awful lot of big-name titles before they worked their way down to us. You're conflating the "maturity" of ignoring Feminist demands for censorship with the safety of not needing to worry about it.

What is different about the times in which we find ourselves is that no matter how famous Yisha or her successor might become she can show off as much as she wants, and if Feminists complain and demand censorship we will laugh them off. "It's not going to happen to us because we won't let it" now applies across the board thanks to the success of GamerGate.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 19:46

Aye Capn

I do not personally believe that anyone who believes in equality (that means not discriminated against based on their gender in this instance) is aware of every single instance of injustice - in any category of discrimination.

I hadn't heard of this "Duke University" issue you keep repeating - what has been worrying is that your repeated references to it appear to be an attempt to render useless any discussion about gender inequality, or gender based discrimination - as if it invalidates any claim it exists.

Feminism is about not being dis proportionality discriminated against. That's it.

You keep bringing up some instances to appear to dismiss the entire notion of gender discrimination that disproportionality affects the female gender. Unsure why, that case of "Duke's" can exist without invalidating agreement that there is gender discrimination and bias within society.

So congratulations. You're a very erudite individual with a compelling case... not sure what it *is* to be honest, but, it's been repeated about 10 times, and you're evidently well read and incredibly knowledgeable over that single scenario.

If the term "feminism" sticks in your craw so badly due to Duke University, then fine, hate feminism.

Do you believe women are not dis proportionally discriminated against in our societies and that we should be attempting to address that? If you do, how do you suggest it is addressed then? How should we draw attention to it, so people can be aware when they're (either consciously or subconsciously) discriminating, and alter their behaviour? How do we ever draw attention to and attempt to address any issue which needs to be addressed in the world? What's the usual means we turn to?

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 20:23

I absolutely believe there is sex discrimination: the Duke Lacrosse Rape Hoax proves it. All of Feminism rose up as one to declare not only the Duke Lacrosse Three guilty but to extend this guilt to an entire race and sex of acceptable enemies, blaming them for creating a "climate of fear" because of "what happened" -- which, I remind you, was a false accusation of rape not made by white males but against three innocent men.

Of course you don't care what happened to the Duke Lacrosse Three: you're a Feminist. You're the one who doesn't want to have an honest conversation about sex discrimination.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 20:23

Aye Capn wrote:
fiksal wrote:I am guided by evidence and definitions.

I got it a long time ago:
Aye Capn wrote:... cognitive dissonance ...
Critical theory does hold to a perception-based subjective definition of "truth", and critical theory is the underpinning of modern Feminism, so a selective-truth defense is not out-of-line with mainstream Feminism.
OK let's go for truth.

I recall that truth matters nothing to gamergaters. They are just online harassers of women. And as such they are worth less than nothing.

I laugh at their imaginary victories. They changed nothing about companies I like and games I play. The companies make the same games. Those games still have female characters and even female leads, no matter how much gamer gaters foam in their mouth for that. So yeah, you keep on winning you funny people.

If they had a cause it stopped mattering to me right after the first case of harassment. End of story.

Another truth is that they are indeed against equality, because they see women as inferior to men. And they are against feminism for the same reason. This is so very transparent. Does it make them also misogynists? Possibly some if not many.

I do not see that way, I see that women and men are and must be equal under law, have same rights and access. Obviously a fair justice system is required.

Misogynists don't see it that way. But I think there are more of us than of them.

Selective truth is the weapon of cults and their cultists. Like gamer gaters or some sort of man children. I am not allowed in the either circle.

Lastly, I will gladly discuss failures of justice system as there are many, from wrongful accusations to imprisonment. But that is not a discussion here at all and never been.

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 20:29

You ignored the link I posted of who harassed whom during GamerGate, proudly proclaimed the details of the Paul Nungesser false rape case too "boring" to consider, and repeatedly pat yourself on the back for your ignorance as if it were some sort of strength.

Now you're projecting your own cognitive dissonance onto me -- ironically as a protective mechanism for that very cognitive dissonance.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 20:50

I have many strengths. We can intimately explore them in a dedicated thread.

So which parts of what I said you agree with? I must have had a few good hits.

Let me summarize your YouTube link:
who harassed who

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 21:45

@ all involved. This is the very last time of warning, discuss the topics and not the posters else the actions described by CBJ will be initiated.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 25. Sep 18, 00:50

This Thread

I once had an enthusiastic debate that devolved into an internet showdown among hundreds of participants across several forums and within several groups of people, ranging from ultra-professionals to dedicated crackpots... Ah, those were the days! My NIC was spread across teh interwebz (Well, small corners of it, at least.) and the controversy extended itself to many other things. I even got death threats! Wow! To relive those days again? Priceless.

But, one can never "go back" no matter how much one loved the drama and the heady crusade for one's own interpretation of Justice.

But, anyway...

So, was Ferdinand's murder the real cause for World War I or was it something else? Was it inevitable? Was there a true conspiracy involved? Bildeburgers? Fascists? Or, perhaps, was it international banking? ....

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 25. Sep 18, 03:07

Monty Python are gods

A hell of an argument to get to death threats though!

Return to “Off Topic English”