[@ Egosoft] have you been playing around with ray tracing for X4?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 26. Sep 18, 21:01

Now that you did mention Borons ... :boron:

They are the show off faction of X2 and X3.
Their ships had moving parts in X2. Their ship had that shiny on X3.
We could admire the white of their tentacles in X4. :roll:

It does not take long any more (before RTX) to render publication quality image with ray tracing. Yes, that is still way more than 1/60 sec. Admittedly, simple static scenes. That might be with entirely different algorithm than what the RTX does offer.

If, and only if the idea catches on -- that DXR/Vulkan and hardware bothers to provide ubiquitous support -- then there will be light at the end of the tunnel/ray.

On the other hand, if "ray tracing" remains proprietary NVidia endeavour, then ... This is Off-Topic, where (almost) everyone can enumerate "technologically superior" ideas that did not make it commercially and lost the market to "the inferiors".

StoneLegionYT
x4

Re: [@ Egosoft] have you been playing around with ray tracing for X4?

Post by StoneLegionYT » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 05:12

Not something will see right now or maybe even in X4 but nvidia just posted this yesterday for the nerdy people who enjoy reading this stuff.

Introduction to Real-Time Ray Tracing with Vulkan
https://devblogs.nvidia.com/vulkan-raytracing/

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: [@ Egosoft] have you been playing around with ray tracing for X4?

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 08:12

Kane Hart wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 05:12
Not something will see right now or maybe even in X4 but nvidia just posted this yesterday for the nerdy people who enjoy reading this stuff.

Introduction to Real-Time Ray Tracing with Vulkan
https://devblogs.nvidia.com/vulkan-raytracing/
So, basically, there's a pre-computed/rendered sort of baked shadow map combined with a derived (?) primitive (not sure how that's generated or if it's baked/manually added from scene objects that helps cull the process a bit, making at least that part much faster?

IOW - "This is how we lie to the compooter to make it do the thing." I wasn't really expecting real-time ray-traced refraction for human hair. I guess I need to find out what they mean by "primitives." That's usually what it sounds like. But, I don't know how they're generated, here. I "get" why they'd want to use them for this, but don't know where they "get" them or if they're defining them differently than I'm used to.

Return to “Off Topic English”