New Forum Layout

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hank001
x3ap

Re: New Forum Layout

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 14:20

What happened to email notifications?
Please tell me there's way to turn them back on. :o
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 14:24

Hank001 wrote:
Fri, 28. Sep 18, 14:20
What happened to email notifications?
Please tell me there's way to turn them back on. :o
https://forum.egosoft.com/ucp.php?i=ucp ... on_options

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 14:29

Thanks chips! :)
MIND THE GAP

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 15:35

Noticed a big problem (for me at least) on the mobile.
The new system puts both the prefix and suffix of the bbs code in the text well AT ONCE with the cursor in the middle. THIS IS BAD. VERY BAD.

[prefix]:evil:[suffix]

Because to paste in between the two commands the moble users have to press and hold until the cut and paste menu appears, we don't have a right click you know. So we have to add enough spaces between the two to free up enough room do press without it selecting one or two of the bracket sets. The old way of placing the code prefix at the first press of the command button and the suffix on the second press worked better. Instead of adding then deleting spaces just to paste something between them.
MIND THE GAP

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 15:49

You can write the text then slect it and hit the bbcode you want, it will "wrap" around the selected text.

MFG

Ketraar

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 15:57

Ketraar:
You can write the text then slect it and hit the bbcode you want, it will "wrap" around the selected text.
Nope. Maybe that's what you want it to do, but it slaps both parts of the code right at the cursor postition which in the case of the above was at the end of the text I pasted in from your post and I had to cut the prefix out, add spaces to clear room to press and hold to paste in the prefix and then remove the spaces. And before someone asks I use the newest version of Android.

Edit: WELL NOW! It does work BUT for it to work as you state you must have the text HIGHLIGHTED and then input the command. This is new, but comforms to the protocol of one other site I'm on.
MIND THE GAP

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 17:26

I am over 40 - it will take me some time to come to terms with this change.

(But mostly I'm posting to make sure stuff works - like my avatar and signature)
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 17:33

Rapier:
I am over 40 - it will take me some time to come to terms with this change.
:twisted: Over 60, 85% blind with one good arm. :D
Come on kid, you can adapt, overcome, and evolve... Or not. :skull:
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 22:09

New layout, finally, I'm impressed.

Going back to lurking now, too busy with another project, but I will be back.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 22:35

Well I won't see 70 again, still got good eyesight, 2 good arms and the knees nice and slippy. The new format is pretty cool....
Ahhh well !!! .. back to No man's sky next where I can run everywhere without coughing.... :) :)

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 22:42

Hank001 wrote:
Fri, 28. Sep 18, 15:57
Edit: WELL NOW! It does work BUT for it to work as you state you must have the text HIGHLIGHTED and then input the command. This is new, but comforms to the protocol of one other site I'm on.
Actually, that's the way it worked in the past in the old forum already. Unfortunately, over time this feature was rendered useless due to browser updates and due to the old forum software no longer being officially supported.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 22:47

birdtable:
Well I won't see 70 again, still got good eyesight, 2 good arms and the knees nice and slippy. The new format is pretty cool....
Ahhh well !!! .. back to No man's sky next where I can run everywhere without coughing....

You go Grandpa! Show these pups that changes happen. That life is an open world game and game over is just another reboot. :D

@ X2-Illiminatus
Yeah I remember the olden days. Though I'm liking this newness more and more.
MIND THE GAP

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 22:50

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Thu, 27. Sep 18, 20:56
fiksal wrote:
Thu, 27. Sep 18, 20:25
Maybe we could have the classic skin for old timers?

And classic skin for the time before the last forum, that I only have heard of in legends
Maybe we can get a 56k option (a forum without similies and graphical stuff), so that it loads quick enough on slow internet connections, too, a "do you remember the really old times" forum consisting of just one forum everything is thrown into, and "a pen and paper" option for those of us who do not like the internet.
somehow this post reminded me of time without a landline phone...

EDIT: the letters are too tiny. ++ would be fine.
Split say NEED MORE FIREPOWER!!

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 23:37

Post reply is on the left side now ... took me a while to find that button! :headbang: :gruebel: :rant:

Will take some time to get used to the new layout, after more than a decade of the old layout. :rant:
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 23:44

As a last resort, there is always the manual. As I recall, Egosoft is using the default prosilver style with some color modifications.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 29. Sep 18, 01:25

Observe wrote:
Fri, 28. Sep 18, 23:44
As a last resort, there is always the manual. As I recall, Egosoft is using the default prosilver style with some color modifications.
You can change (via control panel) the layout used to the "prosilver" or whatever the standard install default is ;)
Nice changes to the link colour/hover whomever is tidying up as they go :)

Already starting to prefer this now tbh - barely a day and I'm comfortable :D

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Sun, 30. Sep 18, 03:39

Yes this new forum is exactly how I envisioned it should progress into. Very easy on the eyes and very similar to the old color scheme just updated and modernized.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 30. Sep 18, 17:18

Just an observation - The portion reserved for the user/avatar/poster is a bit too large for my personal tastes. But, I'm still amazed that Egosoft actually updated the forum. :) Kind of in shock... Not a bad shock, but that shock you get when you reach out to pet that cute puppy and that tiny little static shock hits you, because it's Christmas and the heater has dried out the air in the room, but you don't care, 'cause it's a cute Christmas puppy with a bow on it and they're all good dogs, Bront...

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 30. Sep 18, 22:23

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 28. Sep 18, 10:20
red assassin wrote:
Thu, 27. Sep 18, 22:06
I realise I use a slightly unusual resolution, but the responsive scaling on the "egosoft" theme seems to be a little confused:

https://i.imgur.com/tQL7c28.png
https://i.imgur.com/ksuJ6J4.png

Any chance that could be fixed?
If you're referring to the fact that the user details move away from the right side of the page, that's intentional. Displaying the details on the right doesn't work as well on a mobile device, or indeed any device with a narrow screen.
No, I'm not complaining about the responsive scaling in general (responsive design is great and makes me a lot happier when I read on my phone!), but compare what happens on ProSilver to the Egosoft theme. ProSilver has two versions - the standard full-width one, and a vertically-stacked version that kicks in at <700px. Egosoft seems to have three - there's an intermediate one at 700-1080 pixels or so where the user details box is stacked vertically, but not collapsed.

My first complaint I'm pretty sure is a bug - the two smaller layouts in Egosoft have a weird empty void on the right hand side of the layout. Since these layouts are adjusted to cope with narrow viewports, I don't think it's deliberately not using a big chunk of the width. If I had to guess, this is a glitch with the move of the user info from the right hand side in ProSilver (which seems to be the base theme for Egosoft) to the left in Egosoft, because it looks about the same size as that box is supposed to be.

My second is that I'm not sure whether the intermediate layout is deliberate, since it's not in ProSilver (it looks to me a bit like there's a CSS bug which is bumping the user details, possibly related to the previous paragraph, and it's not actually supposed to go vertical at that width), but if it *is* deliberate I don't like it, as I don't think there's a shortage of horizontal space at that resolution.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 30. Sep 18, 22:43

Thanks for the more detailed explanation. I'll pass it on and see what the intention was.

Return to “Off Topic English”