New Forum Layout

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chips
x4

Re: New Forum Layout

Post by Chips » Sat, 29. Sep 18, 01:25

Observe wrote:
Fri, 28. Sep 18, 23:44
As a last resort, there is always the manual. As I recall, Egosoft is using the default prosilver style with some color modifications.
You can change (via control panel) the layout used to the "prosilver" or whatever the standard install default is ;)
Nice changes to the link colour/hover whomever is tidying up as they go :)

Already starting to prefer this now tbh - barely a day and I'm comfortable :D

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Sun, 30. Sep 18, 03:39

Yes this new forum is exactly how I envisioned it should progress into. Very easy on the eyes and very similar to the old color scheme just updated and modernized.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 30. Sep 18, 17:18

Just an observation - The portion reserved for the user/avatar/poster is a bit too large for my personal tastes. But, I'm still amazed that Egosoft actually updated the forum. :) Kind of in shock... Not a bad shock, but that shock you get when you reach out to pet that cute puppy and that tiny little static shock hits you, because it's Christmas and the heater has dried out the air in the room, but you don't care, 'cause it's a cute Christmas puppy with a bow on it and they're all good dogs, Bront...

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 30. Sep 18, 22:23

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 28. Sep 18, 10:20
red assassin wrote:
Thu, 27. Sep 18, 22:06
I realise I use a slightly unusual resolution, but the responsive scaling on the "egosoft" theme seems to be a little confused:

https://i.imgur.com/tQL7c28.png
https://i.imgur.com/ksuJ6J4.png

Any chance that could be fixed?
If you're referring to the fact that the user details move away from the right side of the page, that's intentional. Displaying the details on the right doesn't work as well on a mobile device, or indeed any device with a narrow screen.
No, I'm not complaining about the responsive scaling in general (responsive design is great and makes me a lot happier when I read on my phone!), but compare what happens on ProSilver to the Egosoft theme. ProSilver has two versions - the standard full-width one, and a vertically-stacked version that kicks in at <700px. Egosoft seems to have three - there's an intermediate one at 700-1080 pixels or so where the user details box is stacked vertically, but not collapsed.

My first complaint I'm pretty sure is a bug - the two smaller layouts in Egosoft have a weird empty void on the right hand side of the layout. Since these layouts are adjusted to cope with narrow viewports, I don't think it's deliberately not using a big chunk of the width. If I had to guess, this is a glitch with the move of the user info from the right hand side in ProSilver (which seems to be the base theme for Egosoft) to the left in Egosoft, because it looks about the same size as that box is supposed to be.

My second is that I'm not sure whether the intermediate layout is deliberate, since it's not in ProSilver (it looks to me a bit like there's a CSS bug which is bumping the user details, possibly related to the previous paragraph, and it's not actually supposed to go vertical at that width), but if it *is* deliberate I don't like it, as I don't think there's a shortage of horizontal space at that resolution.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 30. Sep 18, 22:43

Thanks for the more detailed explanation. I'll pass it on and see what the intention was.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 1. Oct 18, 08:05

Something I've noticed--if you're using the paler theme, the fact moderator names are displayed in yellow makes them pretty much impossible to read. Is it possible to specify a different colour for those when using that theme, or else change the colour so it works OK on both?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 1. Oct 18, 16:29

red assassin wrote:
Sun, 30. Sep 18, 22:23
If I had to guess, this is a glitch with the move of the user info from the right hand side in ProSilver (which seems to be the base theme for Egosoft) to the left in Egosoft, because it looks about the same size as that box is supposed to be.
This has actually already been fixed. I found that it didn't go away, though, until I forced a refresh using Ctrl-F5.
pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 1. Oct 18, 08:05
Something I've noticed--if you're using the paler theme, the fact moderator names are displayed in yellow makes them pretty much impossible to read. Is it possible to specify a different colour for those when using that theme, or else change the colour so it works OK on both?
This has now also been improved a bit, with the aid of a drop shadow. Again, it requires a refresh. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible to specify different colours for different themes in this case, as the colour is defined by the group instead.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 1. Oct 18, 16:34

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 1. Oct 18, 16:29
This has now also been improved a bit, with the aid of a drop shadow. Again, it requires a refresh. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible to specify different colours for different themes in this case, as the colour is defined by the group instead.
Definitely looks better now, thanks!

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 1. Oct 18, 19:33

WE CAN NOW MULTI-QUOTE WHILE COMPOSING A POST!

I wasn't sure I should post this revelation, but couldn't contain my excitement! (I promise to not abuse this new power.)

However, there is a problem with it that could be addressed: A line/carriage return should be automatically applied. Otherwise, multi-quotes have no spacing, so you have to search for the quote-end format command and manually insert it. It shouldn't be too much of a problem to automatically insert a carriage return commmand, line insert thingie, when multiquoting, right?

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Mon, 1. Oct 18, 21:48

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 1. Oct 18, 16:29
red assassin wrote:
Sun, 30. Sep 18, 22:23
If I had to guess, this is a glitch with the move of the user info from the right hand side in ProSilver (which seems to be the base theme for Egosoft) to the left in Egosoft, because it looks about the same size as that box is supposed to be.
This has actually already been fixed. I found that it didn't go away, though, until I forced a refresh using Ctrl-F5.
Oh hey thanks!Both issues are gone and it's behaving like ProSilver again. Nice!
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 17:20

It finally happened!
Looks nice. One thing I would like would be the addition of a quick reply box.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 19:59

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 17:20
It finally happened!
Looks nice. One thing I would like would be the addition of a quick reply box.
^--- This!

I have a lot of $hitposting to do and don't have time to click that "Reply" button and wait for the forum to give me a spot to do it in! :)

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 06:50

New layout looks good
but why is it counting my Off Topic posts now?

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 18:19

It isn't, is it? Oh it is.

Because we're people too... or something. :gruebel: Likely default setting, has to be manually set to discount the forum from post count - and it isn't done yet?

Noticed all the little things being brought up are fixed though - link hover colours, pm icon etc Good efforts!

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 18:27

I like the new layout a lot. It is clear, clean and looks "cool". Well done.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 19:47

OmegaKnight wrote:
Thu, 4. Oct 18, 06:50
Because PHPBB3 lacks a way to exclude certain forums from the post count, and because the problem that it was originally excluded to solve is a thing of ancient history.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 20:03

CBJ notes:
Because PHPBB3 lacks a way to exclude certain forums from the post count, and because the problem that it was originally excluded to solve is a thing of ancient history.
On topic, off topic, in the age of X4 I suppose the "things of ancient history" are falling by the wayside. I suppose with any evolution some tails fall off while some appendixes stick around and eventually we forget what good they were for in the first place. And as one savant said: "Some think coming down from the trees was a bad idea." So excuse me if I can live without a tail, live with a useless gland and love this new layout. :D
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 20:14

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 4. Oct 18, 19:47
In the case, can I get credited my 3649 unaccounted posts please? :D

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 20:15

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 4. Oct 18, 19:47
OmegaKnight wrote:
Thu, 4. Oct 18, 06:50
Do you mean that we, the unwashed masses of Off-Topic, are now having our posts recognized by the rest of the forum as being just as "equal" as those of everyone else? We... are real, now?

I'M A REAL BOY!

(I'm sure my "legitimate" post-count will increase once I get my hands on X4!)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 5. Oct 18, 20:44

What is this

Code: Select all

phpBB: Critical Error

Error creating new session
I did get it with all browser's while upgrade was in preparation: all Fora were inaccessible (for me). The comment counter on the link to forum upgrade announcement page did hint that others were able to access Fora.

All is good that ends well?

Chrome on Android phone still gives that message for /viewforum.php?f=2 despite "Clear history/Cache/Cookies".

In other words, how do I make a Google product behave? (Hence the OT post.)

Return to “Off Topic English”