Forums: What is "Add Foe"?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

sd_jasper
x4

Forums: What is "Add Foe"?

Post by sd_jasper » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 15:44

Is this a blocked user list?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: Forums: What is "Add Foe"?

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 15:50

See the phpbb 3.2 userguide for an explanation of friends and foes: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ends_foes/
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 17:06

I had to try it out, so I found someone who's post I already ignore and added them to my add foe list. It removes their posts but there is a button that you can press to read the post if you so desire. You can also remove them from the foe list by going to your user control panel, which you can access by clicking on your username in the top right of the screen. Also if someone quotes the a person on your foe list, you will be able to see the quote that your foe made so it doesn't remove quotes. Also it does not remove any threads that your foe may have made, though their original post in the thread will be blank.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 22:27

Where are you guys even seeing these controls? I don't see anything about friend or foe...

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 22:29

Click on the username of any user, and at the bottom of the main profile data you see the add friend / add foe options.
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 06:44

Isn't the world already being filled with enough echo chambers, without adding options like this.
Always liked this forum for it's healthy debates.

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 07:02

OmegaKnight wrote:
Thu, 4. Oct 18, 06:44
Always liked this forum for it's healthy debates.
What strange hole did you crawl from? HEALTHY debates!! Geez! Calm down! :þ This is OFFTOPIC! Not Sparta! :lol:
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 18:27

I've never understood squelch/ignore lists for forums. Sure, I "understand" it, but it's stupid... If one doesn't want to read someone's posts, then just don't read them. And, if one can't resolve a personal conflict, try more betterer or just stop interacting with that individual. We don't live in a world where you can just squelch people until the only ones left are the ones you like.

IMO, squelch tools just encourage conflict.

PS: And, most people probably won't read this post, since I bet I'm on a buttload of squelch lists... :)

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 21:50

We are all friends here. If we disagree, it is because you are either confused or you are sick. Neither is reason to commit as foe. :wink:

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 22:35

I thoroughly dislike this sort of thinking being built into a forum.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 23:38

Are you sure it not more a case of forums and social media building this sort of thinking (or even a sense of entitlement to such options) into many internet users?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 5. Oct 18, 00:31

Morkonan wrote:
Thu, 4. Oct 18, 18:27
PS: And, most people probably won't read this post, since I bet I'm on a buttload of squelch lists... :)
Not I! If I had you on ignore I wouldn't be able to argue with you, and where would the fun be in that? :D

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 5. Oct 18, 18:29

Observe wrote:
Thu, 4. Oct 18, 21:50
We are all friends here. If we disagree, it is because you are either confused or you are sick. Neither is reason to commit as foe. :wink:
Exactly! Besides, you still have to be on speaking terms with those you've disagreed with in the past, if for no other reason than so you can tell them "I told you so" in the future! :)
pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 5. Oct 18, 00:31
Morkonan wrote:
Not I! If I had you on ignore I wouldn't be able to argue with you, and where would the fun be in that? :D
^-- A man of infinite understanding! "Debate" isn't "interpersonal conflict." It's a sport. :)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 5. Oct 18, 19:16

I'm no great fan of social media features generally, but I do acknowledge that there are some people, for whom time on the forum can be made less stressful by allowing them to simply hide posts made by someone who has repeatedly annoyed them. Sure, they could just not visit the forum at all, or they could studiously avoid threads where that person had posed, but by hiding their posts they can remain here and read whatever they like, without the risk of getting wound up by accidentally reading something they didn't want or need to. For people who are struggling with stress, it can make the difference between this being a place to relax or it being a place that contributes to that stress.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 5. Oct 18, 19:36

I may use it - but not how you'd imagine...

More of a post minimiser - it'd save an awful lot of scrolling in some discussions :twisted: :twisted:

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Fri, 5. Oct 18, 23:04

Morkonan wrote:
Did someone hear something? :gruebel:

( :D )

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 04:27

Morkonan wrote:
I've never understood squelch/ignore lists for forums. Sure, I "understand" it, but it's stupid... If one doesn't want to read someone's posts, then just don't read them. And, if one can't resolve a personal conflict, try more betterer or just stop interacting with that individual. We don't live in a world where you can just squelch people until the only ones left are the ones you like.

IMO, squelch tools just encourage conflict.

You will tell me if you prefer pancakes or waffles. If you do not consume breakfast staples in the same order of preference that I do then I will silence you forever! Because I can't handle your views on breakfast and muting is the only petty power I will ever have over you. Choose your next words carefully.
Who made that man a gunner?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 10:20

Masterbagger wrote:
Sat, 6. Oct 18, 04:27
You will tell me if you prefer pancakes or waffles.
What if I don't eat either of those things for breakfast? :)

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 14:38

Chips wrote:
Fri, 5. Oct 18, 19:36
I may use it - but not how you'd imagine...

More of a post minimiser - it'd save an awful lot of scrolling in some discussions :twisted: :twisted:
I know exactly who you're referring too. :twisted: :lol:
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 14:43

Not a bad comment coming from username 'silenced'. :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “Off Topic English”