interesting finds in uninhabitable places (& an XP OS discussion)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

devilofbelfast
xr

interesting finds in uninhabitable places (& an XP OS discussion)

Post by devilofbelfast » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 19:08

Recently whilst searching Earth, I spotted this. The first picture is what i spotted and the second highlights two of the 6 artifacts in the picture.

My question though is; hugely coincidental mineral formations/shadows ect or cool ancient mountainside art?

[ external image ] Pic 1

[ external image ] Pic 2

In pic 2, the circular highlighted area on the right side seems to display a humanoid hunter with a bow and a quiver of arrows and the highlighted area on the left seems to display an animal being hunted. There are also several unhighlighted artifacts within the picture.

I cant find any info anywhere on if this is a real ancient artifact. Can you guys help?

Free virtual DarkSide cookies to anyone who can spot the unhighlighted artifacts!

(Edit, i know theres forum fules about size of pictures ect, if these are in violation could a mod fix them please? I'm not sure how to do it. Thanks)
(Edit 2; these uploads have really degraded/pixelated the picture, the original view from ZoomEarth was much clearer)
the four most important things iv'e found out,
1, your birth certificate is an apology letter from the condom factory.
2, dont argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experiance.
3, if gods watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining,
4, Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: interesting finds in uninhabitable places

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 19:45

https://www.google.com/maps/@73.4756111 ... a=!3m1!1e3

It's possible, but it'd be pretty darn big. :) It's Greenland, too. I don't know what the Eskimo/Inuit/Native North American tribes would have done, but IIRC, they mainly just hunted there with some semi-permanent establishments? I don't know if the Vikings who settled there were prone to petroglyphs or not. And, for others... who knows? Keep in mind the area is usually pretty inaccessible, I would think. It might have been more accessible in narrowly defined periods in the past, such with the whole "European Warming" thing, or "Cooling" if you'd rather believe that. In any case, glaciers stomp all over the place there and cause funky shapes ground into the rock. IF those are actually "lines" they could be scars caused by debris caught up in glacial procession.

One thing about looking at blurry satellite images - You can see whatever you're "looking for." If you're looking for patterns and something "looks like" what you imagine it should look like, then that's what it is...

"Looks like" is the energy that fuels a vast number of Internetz subjects, from legitimate concerns to far-out wacky theories. My answer is as it usually is -

It's probably a rock.

:)

Investigating further, there are also geologic "dikes" in Greenland. The area in question is the Northeast Greenland National Park. Dike

You could always email them and ask if there are any large petroglyphs in the park: https://visitgreenland.com/about-greenl ... onal-park/

Apparently, there are a few petroglyphs in Greenland. That's not unusual for any area visited by humans. We tend to scrawl graffiti everywhere: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qajartalik

Rug
x4

Post by Rug » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 22:12

You're using Windows XP still ???

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 06:37

Google maps has a few hi-rez squares close by and by the look of it, not a place where art would survive.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 18:18

TBF one looks like landslide type affair that removed a layer, but no idea as i aint no geologist :D

Freddy72nz
x4

Post by Freddy72nz » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 06:33

Rug wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 22:12
Why not?
It's not really a target any more. Most of the systems running XP are ATMs (I guess these could be a lucrative target), medical equipment, and other industrial hardware that hasn't been updated these days (I'm just pulling this info out of experience so I'm possibly wrong, but it's what I've seen in the wild).

I still have an XP VM for various games that don't play well with Linux (main os) or the newer versions of Windows (secondary boot for GTA5 mainly...).

In short "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Just my 2c.

Have a good one,
Freddy

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 10:22

Freddy72nz wrote:
Sat, 6. Oct 18, 06:33
Why not?
It's not really a target any more.
There are still enough XP machines around to make it useful to attack it, not to mention that a lot of attacks tend to be automated things that just find a vulnerable machine and attack it regardless of what they're likely to gain.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 11:36

Freddy72nz wrote:
Why not?
It's not really a target any more. Most of the systems running XP are ATMs (I guess these could be a lucrative target), medical equipment, and other industrial hardware that hasn't been updated these days (I'm just pulling this info out of experience so I'm possibly wrong, but it's what I've seen in the wild).

I still have an XP VM for various games that don't play well with Linux (main os) or the newer versions of Windows (secondary boot for GTA5 mainly...).

In short "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Just my 2c.

Have a good one,
Freddy
Literally all of those things are lucrative targets - ransomware attacks against hospitals and big corporations get you a lot of money. And pjk is right as well. Running XP is a spectacularly bad idea, and it absolutely is broken.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 13:02

Not still targeting XP?

http://uk.businessinsider.com/how-many- ... ?r=US&IR=T

In 2017 XP was still the 3rd most popular OS according to this article ;) And non valid copies are likely still vastly popular in emerging markets and therefore very likely a valid target - especially since, wannacry excepting, Microsoft do not issue further security updates. Consider that alone for one second. Exploits are no longer being fixed and means perpetually vulnerable. Open ended exploitation time, as they'll never become "out of date".

Finding/targeting a vulnerability takes time and effort, and may get closed off, so have limited viability. Having vulnerabilities that don't are very worthwhile exploiting as once found, it's continuous.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 8. Oct 18, 19:19

Freddy72nz wrote:
Rug wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 22:12
Why not?
It's not really a target any more. ...
It's a HUGE FAT TARGET!

A LOT of government, institutional and corporate concerns still run XP, too. Why? Because they don't want to spend the money to upgrade all their IT infrastructure and decades old applications. XP is ROUTINELY targeted for this reason. When I say "routinely" I really mean "routinely." It's a default target because anyone using it is likely to be associated with a large organization that doesn't want to spend their budget on updating all their software, so they'll probably bend over and cough up $20k to get their ransomed databases back... It has nothing to do with any home users and everything to do with large corporate and government users. But, if you're using it, you're going to be subjected to exactly the same sort of dangers. As long as you're standing out there in the middle of the battlefield, you WILL be caught in the crossfire. It's only a matter of time.

Upgrade. Win7 Pro is so much more very much outstandingly more betterer than XP (any version) ever. You don't have to go all the way to Win10, but that would even be more secure than XP.

I loved XP and still do, but it's getting hit like a tasty dime-hooker on a streetcorner every darn minute. It's time to let her go. She's past saving, now.

(IF you really love it, then at least protect it by sandboxing your online internet browsing sessions using VMWare or something. Even then, goodness knows what else is reaching out and trying to touch other portions of your XP install.)

PS - Did you ever find out anything more about the subject in the OP? :) It's most likely a grouping of natural formations, but, like I wrote, you could always email the Park/Reserve people and ask them about their petroglyphs, if any.

devilofbelfast
xr

Re: interesting finds in uninhabitable places (& an XP OS discussion)

Post by devilofbelfast » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 03:28

hey sorry i completely forgot i'd posted this haha I agree had it been an actual artifact it'd be pretty big but as i was looking for evidence of giants, it wouldnt have been as much an issue to them to paint such large areas. No, im not crazy, there's been plenty of remains found. I'm aware of the 'seeing exactly what you're looking for' phenomenon but discounted it as i wasnt looking for artwork ect. I do agree its probably just an odd shaped formation though.

As regaurds still using XP, it comes down to one simple issue. My yearly disposable income is £0.00. My yearly food budget is £365.00. A new computer and operating system would cost atleast double that and living 2 years with no food doesnt sound like a good idea. Unless someone hands me a computer, thats exactly what im stuck with but as i only use it for playing tc/ap and facebook and browsing on here its not as much an issue as many others still using it and handling sensitive info ect

I aactually emailed the pics to the greenland museum to see if they had any info on it but never heard back. Couldnt find it on google either

Edit rather than doublepost; heres the pic with all artifacts revealed Image the circle on the far left clearly contains a humanoid figure, the long one at the bottom contains a snake, far right on top contains a bird with spread wings, far right on bottom contains two humanoids engaged in sword combat, inner right side clearly contains a bull like animal or somehing with horns. Can you see them?
the four most important things iv'e found out,
1, your birth certificate is an apology letter from the condom factory.
2, dont argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experiance.
3, if gods watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining,
4, Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 04:29

devilofbelfast wrote:
Tue, 9. Oct 18, 03:28
hey sorry i completely forgot i'd posted this haha I agree had it been an actual artifact it'd be pretty big but as i was looking for evidence of giants, it wouldnt have been as much an issue to them to paint such large areas. No, im not crazy, there's been plenty of remains found. I'm aware of the 'seeing exactly what you're looking for' phenomenon but discounted it as i wasnt looking for artwork ect. I do agree its probably just an odd shaped formation though.
There are some groups in Eastern Europe that are very interested in "giants." I can't remember where they're based, though. Ukraine? Russia? Probably both. It ties in with local folklore.
As regaurds still using XP, it comes down to one simple issue. My yearly disposable income is £0.00. My yearly food budget is £365.00. A new computer and operating system would cost atleast double that and living 2 years with no food doesnt sound like a good idea. Unless someone hands me a computer, thats exactly what im stuck with but as i only use it for playing tc/ap and facebook and browsing on here its not as much an issue as many others still using it and handling sensitive info ect...
I don't know about where you live, but here in the US there are many computer user groups and clubs that put together PCs for people for free. There are also computer shops that donate parts and such for people.

Reach out. Talk to these people and clubs, maybe give them a call? Email them if that's all you can do. You might be surprised. Let people help you.

Sorry you didn't get a reply back. That's not necessarily unusual, especially when someone may be asking a "weird question." :) But, don't forget that there could also be a language difference and they're just delayed in responding. (Though, with various translation sites, it should be pretty easy to translate.)

"Larger Humans" could have existed. It's possible. But, there comes a point where physiology is overcome by environmental factors. For "extremely large" humanoids of legend, they'd basically overheat without some big radiators and weird body structure. Then, there's the problems of pumping blood, supporting a large bipedal frame, that's liable to fall down a lot, disastrously, without extra precautions, etc.. "Giant mountain painters?" No. Extra-Large Norwegians? Maybe. :)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 09:12

You'd be better off installing a free Linux distribution rather than continuing to use XP, IMHO.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 02:06

I still have a computer with XP on it, it's pretty old and I use it for playing around with, what with hacking into it and showing people how easy it is to crack simple passwords. Got a camera here that I keep meaning to connect to it to see if I can hack into it through XP or to hack into it to get access to the XP computer, WIFI cameras are brilliant. Also I think I have a bot around here some place that can be used to seek out XP computers on the internet, never used it myself though, I wouldn't dream of doing something like that. :D :twisted:
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Return to “Off Topic English”