Series 11 Dr Who

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Re: Series 11 Dr Who

Post by Golden_Gonads » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 18:18

On a sidenote, my beef with a female Thor, was that Thor is the name of the character, not a title. If they had Jane, God(dess) of Thunder, Wielder of the Hammer of Thor, I doubt anyone would have batted an eye. But that is (A) an unwieldy title for a comic book, and (B) wouldn't have made headlines and gotten a lot of free publicity.

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 19:46

i think there is a hidden motive behind all this gender bending i have not watched tbe program since they put in the gay kissing and they call this a kids show
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Fri, 9. Nov 18, 00:51

burger1 wrote:
Tue, 6. Nov 18, 20:17
I think the writing of the current season is bad. It's not the worst season in my opinion. Ignoring the really stupid stuff this season hasn't been exciting or engaging. Hopefully the series will pick up and get some excitement.
I wouldn't say the writtiing has been bad, just the plots derivative.The spiders was a condensed version of the Green Death from the 70s.The last episode seem to steal bits from futurama (pting = nibbler) and red dwarf (I seem to remember lister pregnant)
A flower?

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Fri, 9. Nov 18, 05:10

Bishop149 wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 12:56
Aye Capn wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 12:34
If a human woman picking up Thor's Hammer retconned the entire human species into sequential hermaphrodites you'd have a point.
Apologies, I think I misread your original post.
Thanks for taking the time to understand.

I'm disappointed Lady Doctor Who was written so blindly in pursuit of an agenda-driven fad they didn't think through their own canon. It insults the audience's intelligence. If they had addressed The Doctor honestly as a sequential hermaphrodite socialized according to the norms of her species -- a truly alien alien -- I would've forgiven the cringeworthy "Happy Mister Sun" episode and given New Who another chance.

"Failure of imagination" is my indictment of Lady Doctor Who. They're virtue signalling instead of writing science fiction.
The Dr is a biiiit of a Retconn but to be fair they've been implying Timelords can change sex upon regeneration since at least 2012 ...
So they've had time to think about it!
Nor should it really be a surprise ... director ... producer ... agenda.
They produced the stories the writers made them produce. If we're being honest with ourselves the SJW agenda didn't kick in until the reboot. The original series sent up the occasional antiwar message in between scenes of K9 being disabled IIRC, but antiwar messages in pop culture were commonplace in the Vietnam War era -- as well as a phobia of depictions of violence on broadcast television backstopped by government censorship. Action shows of the era like "The A-Team" featured widespread use of explosives as weapons because explosions with non-lethal results weren't considered "violent" by the censors.

Dogs with laser muzzles were also apparently an exception. K9 was the only team member with what we would call a "gun", and it inconveniently solved a hell of a lot of problems.

"K9! Nooo!"

"Oh, K9's been EMP'd again. A new story arc must have started."

At one point Romana carries a fully-funcitonal K9 nose-forward. At the time I was thinking Charlie Brown's "Speak Softly and Carry a Beagle" story arc, but looking back seeing her as Samwise is even funnier: "Maybe the censors say I can't carry a laser gun, but I can carry you, Frodo, and YOU can carry the laser gun!"

It would've been hilarious if Romana had actually used K9 as a gun, but I don't think she did or I'm sure I would've remembered. "Freeze, dirtbag! I have a loaded robot dog, and I'm not afraid to use it!" It couldn't have been any cheesier than story arcs like "Doctor Who and the Power of Kroll" already were.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Wed, 21. Nov 18, 12:12

My girls and I are a week behind, but we very much enjoyed the episode we saw most recently (which was the one in which they met Yaz' Nani in Partition-era Pakistan).
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Tue, 8. Jan 19, 22:11

Just watched the New Year special. My daughter who has been a a fan since birth (near enough) - was so upset at what they have done to Doctor Who basically screamed “What have they done to Doctor Who, they’ve ruined it, I want this to stop it’s painful!”

I have to agree with her. I know Chibnall wanted the stories simple but as soon as we saw the microwave box, we all said “ I bet that’s how they will defeat it”

Very disappointed with the writing in this series.
A flower?

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Wed, 9. Jan 19, 13:25

Whilst I'd agree that the microwave was clumsy, I quite enjoyed the rest of this story. YMMV, I guess.

My daughters and I enjoyed the series overall, and we'll definitely watch some bright golden evening when the next lot are done! :)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Return to “Off Topic English”