Series 11 Dr Who

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BugMeister
x4

Re: Series 11 Dr Who

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 20:21

- she'd look really smart with spikey blue hair..
- she's gotta get that krazy Manga feel for the part..

- direction needs to get more zany spacey-fied..
- something like a Stogey character..(??)
- Jodie, very promising.. :)

- me windmill of Halo Jones stylee.. :mrgreen:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 10. Oct 18, 13:58

What the Doctor is played by a woman!

Seriously, I don't think it makes any difference. I thought it was a good start. Gone are Moffat's in jokes and over complicated plotlines ( still not got all that "Silence" stuff).
Jodie seems to be doing OK
A flower?

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 10. Oct 18, 15:12

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
Wed, 10. Oct 18, 13:58
What the Doctor is played by a woman!

Seriously, I don't think it makes any difference. I thought it was a good start. Gone are Moffat's in jokes and over complicated plotlines ( still not got all that "Silence" stuff).
Jodie seems to be doing OK
Indeed,

I think Moffat going going off the rails, and the series went down after Matt took over, the series just got more and more boring.

I like the change, so lets hope for the best!
=

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Wed, 10. Oct 18, 15:19

I enjoyed the episode and Jo Whittaker's take on the character.

I did find the dark tones a little jarring though. I'm told this is Chibnall's signature style (I've never seen any of his other work so can't judge).
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 01:58

Just watched it and pretty much enjoyed it, the theme tune at the end was pretty darn awful, it was just a lot of noise whomever picked that and thought it was good, needs their hearing checked.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:37

Well the sexist already left the thread before I watched it, woo \o/

OK, finally got to this last night. Episode itself was OK, not the best opener (Still Matt Smiths for me) but damn Jodie NAILED it as The Doctor. I was hoping she would be good but damn she was great.

Rest of the cast was OK:
Spoiler
Show
RIP Grandma as the best supporting actor there :( Would have loved to see more of her. I was hoping for "Doctor recent regeneration miracle moment" but nope :(

Hemmingfish

Post by Hemmingfish » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 16:52

Antilogic wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:37
Spoiler
Show
RIP Grandma as the best supporting actor there :( Would have loved to see more of her. I was hoping for "Doctor recent regeneration miracle moment" but nope :(
I'm so glad they didn't cop out like that. Characters' deaths meant nothing under Moffat because he couldn't let them stay dead unless they were redshirts.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 18:06

Hemmingfish wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 16:52
I'm so glad they didn't cop out like that.
Spoiler
Show
Agreed, I just liked her character and would have liked to have seen more.

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 22:41

The original Romana was the same species as The Doctor. They could've kept the species sexually separated and given the show to her had they not retconned her change of species.

But as written The Doctor, as presumably every member of the species, isn't actually a woman but a transsexual. It would be a mistake to apply the rules of human biology and social development to a species that contains both sexes within each individual.

Transsexual Time Lords should have totally different conceptions about sex and gender than humans. If Romana (original species) and The Doctor fall in love while the same sex can they "wait it out" to have children until they are separate sexes? A non-bisexual Time Lord would be considered anomalous and weird:
"I can't wait for you, honey; I'm only attracted to women."
"But 100 years ago I WAS a woman. What's the big deal?"
"I don't know. I guess I was born this way."
"So when you regenerate into a man and I into a woman then we can plan our family?"
"Hmmm .... well, I ... guess so ..."

That Sonic Blaster Torchwood dude who had the gay hots for The Doctor probably had an even shot without ever understanding why. I wonder if he got his wish whether he would continue to feel the same toward The Doctor in her female form? The "Time Lord" species has been transformed by the writers into beings truly alien.

I haven't seen the new series but I'm going to guess they have no idea what they've done and are simply being politically correct. Making aliens alien is one of the best features of good science fiction, but almost no one seems to write them that way anymore.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 23:03

The show also does a million other things different now from the original series but there's oddly a lot less discussion about that then that OMG THE DOCTOR IS A WOMAN HOW TERRIBLE FOR THE LORE.

****ing rubbish all of it. Note how this thread is constantly assaulted by this "not at all sexist driven discussion".

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 01:47

In all this talk about the Doctor's sex change I think we're missing the most important question.

Is she going to fix the damned chameleon circuit?

Come on Doc it's been stuck that way since you landed in a junkyard in the 'sixties. For someone who professes to care about the old girl you really ought to take better care of her. :rant:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 03:48

brucewarren wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 01:47
No, for two critical reasons. Firstly, they don't have the budget for the TARDIS to appear different in every episode. Second, and perhaps more importantly, the way the TARDIS looks is iconic--so iconic that the Metropolitan Police actually lost when they sued the BBC for copyright infringement in 2002, because the blue police box had become more associated with Dr. Who than it was with the police! So, for much the same reason as the Daleks will always look much as they always have, the TARDIS isn't going to change shape anytime soon.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 15:28

pjknibbs wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 03:48
brucewarren wrote:
No, for two critical reasons. Firstly, they don't have the budget for the TARDIS to appear different in every episode. Second, and perhaps more importantly, the way the TARDIS looks is iconic--so iconic that the Metropolitan Police actually lost when they sued the BBC for copyright infringement in 2002, because the blue police box had become more associated with Dr. Who than it was with the police! So, for much the same reason as the Daleks will always look much as they always have, the TARDIS isn't going to change shape anytime soon.
Plus they've now built so many cool comments into the background . . .

"Every time the TARDIS materialises in a new location, within the first nanosecond of landing, it analyses its surroundings, calculates a twelve-dimensional data map of everything within a thousand-mile radius and then determines which outer shell would blend in best with the environment.... and then it disguises itself as a police telephone box from 1963."
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 16:23

Usenko wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 15:28

"Every time the TARDIS materialises in a new location, within the first nanosecond of landing, it analyses its surroundings, calculates a twelve-dimensional data map of everything within a thousand-mile radius and then determines which outer shell would blend in best with the environment.... and then it disguises itself as a police telephone box from 1963."
One of my favorite lines.
pjknibbs wrote:
brucewarren wrote:
I wish I could agree with you, but then I recall that ST:Discovery has screwed with core designs themselves...and I could see some foolish people in the future deciding to do so well for Doctor Who :(

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 17:31

Antilogic wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 16:23
Usenko wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 15:28

One of my favorite lines.
pjknibbs wrote:
brucewarren wrote:
I wish I could agree with you, but then I recall that ST:Discovery has screwed with core designs themselves...and I could see some foolish people in the future deciding to do so well for Doctor Who :(

I think the reason why ST:Discovery did screw over the designs, was due to copyright reasons.

As for the TARDIS, that is just iconic, and O doubt it will change anytime soon.
=

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 17:58

Antilogic wrote:
I don't think ST: Discovery really screwed around with core designs that much? The Discovery itself is a really odd design, that much is true, but their version of the TOS Enterprise that appeared in the final episode actually looked fairly close to the original--it was sort of a combination of features from the 1960s series and the movie refit version, and it looked absolutely fine, IMHO. The equivalent with the TARDIS would be changing the size of the windows, which they do from time to time anyway!

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 18:19

pjknibbs wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 17:58
Antilogic wrote:
I don't think ST: Discovery really screwed around with core designs that much? The Discovery itself is a really odd design, that much is true, but their version of the TOS Enterprise that appeared in the final episode actually looked fairly close to the original--it was sort of a combination of features from the 1960s series and the movie refit version, and it looked absolutely fine, IMHO. The equivalent with the TARDIS would be changing the size of the windows, which they do from time to time anyway!
Starfleet designs were fine, good even. I'm mostly referring to the Klingon's. Generally because I think they made them oh so much worse, in both species and ship design.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 20:46

Antilogic wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 18:19
Starfleet designs were fine, good even. I'm mostly referring to the Klingon's. Generally because I think they made them oh so much worse, in both species and ship design.
I think they were following the lead set by the reboot movies for the Klingons' appearance at least, not sure about the ship designs.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 23:20

Antilogic wrote:
From the trailer, Klingons and their ships for Season Two will be much more inline with previous appearances. Though Klingons are more Next Generation in appearance compared with the originals.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sun, 14. Oct 18, 01:00

Golden_Gonads wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 23:20
Antilogic wrote:
From the trailer, Klingons and their ships for Season Two will be much more inline with previous appearances. Though Klingons are more Next Generation in appearance compared with the originals.
\o/

Return to “Off Topic English”