Series 11 Dr Who

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Series 11 Dr Who

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 20:52

Thought I'd create a new topic rather than digging through the bowels of the forum for the old one. Just saw the first episode of the new series, and apart from a massive coincidence that happened at the beginning (see below) and was never explained, I quite liked it. Jodie pulled off a suitably Doctor-like performance, and the cliffhanger at the end was fun, too.
Spoiler
Show
Ryan finds the pod in the woods that the alien was in, and his Nan and her husband just happened to be in the train that Carl the crane driver was travelling in? Beggars belief slightly, that.
Last edited by pjknibbs on Mon, 8. Oct 18, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.

red assassin
x3

Re: New series Dr Who

Post by red assassin » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 20:55

Yeah, I didn't think it was mindblowing or anything, but I enjoyed it. Decent Doctor Who. Good debut from Whittaker. Looking forward to the next one.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 8. Oct 18, 13:16

Doctor Who needed a change in leadership and a real change in the series, I think what I seen so far, that change is happening. the episode was a bit darker, and was pretty damn decent. as for Whittaker, I think she did a pretty good job, and I think she has the potential to be a GREAT Doctor!!!

So this episode gets a thumbs up from me, and can't wait for the next one.
=

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 8. Oct 18, 19:30

pjknibbs wrote:
Sun, 7. Oct 18, 20:52
Thought I'd create a new topic rather than digging
No objection, but do they all have to be called "New series"? Series 11?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 8. Oct 18, 20:11

jlehtone wrote:
Mon, 8. Oct 18, 19:30
No objection, but do they all have to be called "New series"? Series 11?
There, changed it, happy now? :)

Alee Enn
x4

Re: Series 11 Dr Who

Post by Alee Enn » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 07:56

I'm sorry to say, but I won't watch it. Right from the moment they announced Jodie as the Doctor, I've not had an issue with the Doctor being female, if it works for the story, as it did for Missy, then that's great. My issue with Jodie being the Doctor is that the BBC, who created and produce the show, made the Doctor female just to tick a political correctness box. That is not a reason to make a change like that. For that reason, I'll not be watching no matter how fantastic people claim it is.
Formerly "Alien Tech Inc."

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 09:14

Alee Enn wrote:
Tue, 9. Oct 18, 07:56
My issue with Jodie being the Doctor is that the BBC, who created and produce the show, made the Doctor female just to tick a political correctness box.
Citation needed? Do you have proof this was just for "political correctness"? Considering the new showrunner is Chris Chibnall, can we not assume he picked Jodie because he worked with her on Broadchurch and thought she'd be the best for the role?

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 09:50

pjknibbs wrote:
Tue, 9. Oct 18, 09:14
Alee Enn wrote:
My issue with Jodie being the Doctor is that the BBC, who created and produce the show, made the Doctor female just to tick a political correctness box.
Citation needed? Do you have proof this was just for "political correctness"? Considering the new showrunner is Chris Chibnall, can we not assume he picked Jodie because he worked with her on Broadchurch and thought she'd be the best for the role?
It is an opinion, but it's also based on what has happened to the show since Moffat got involved. If you search for yourself, you'll see the opinions of others, but I'm of the opinion that either you are in favour of Jodie playing the Doctor, or you're not ... kind of like Marmite.
Also, you ask me for citation and then "can we not assume ..." I'll take that as in your opinion he picked Jodie due to past collaboration.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 10:02

Alee Enn wrote:
I'm sorry to say, but I won't watch it. Right from the moment they announced Jodie as the Doctor, I've not had an issue with the Doctor being female, if it works for the story, as it did for Missy, then that's great. My issue with Jodie being the Doctor is that the BBC, who created and produce the show, made the Doctor female just to tick a political correctness box. That is not a reason to make a change like that. For that reason, I'll not be watching no matter how fantastic people claim it is.
- "I have no problem with a female Dr!"
- [Proceeds to outline their problem with a female Dr]

I thought the new episode was a very solid but ultimately unremarkable start, as it was no doubt very carefully designed to be.
However I did think they upped the scary monster factor, both the writhing tentically thing and the big armoured man were pretty dark and terrifying from the get go.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 10:25

Bishop149 wrote:
Tue, 9. Oct 18, 10:02
Alee Enn wrote:
- "I have no problem with a female Dr!"
- [Proceeds to outline their problem with a female Dr]
As I stated, it is why they made the Doctor female, not that the character is female.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 11:16

Alee Enn wrote:
Tue, 9. Oct 18, 10:25
As I stated, it is why they made the Doctor female, not that the character is female.
That's a rather subtle (and some would argue essentially meaningless) distinction.
What it amounts to is "I'm fine with female representation as long as it remains confined to fiction"
Anyway, this risks derailing the thread, I'm happy to have an argument about feminism and "political correctness" but it would probably be best split off into another thread.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 12:21

What the problem really is, is that Matt Smith introduction epsiode was too good. Drives of aliens, and then calls them back to scare them shitless.
It's really hard to get it that epic on first go.

Also, bowties.
Split say NEED MORE FIREPOWER!!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 13:46

Alee Enn wrote:
Tue, 9. Oct 18, 09:50
It is an opinion, but it's also based on what has happened to the show since Moffat got involved.
Moffat is not the showrunner who introduced a female Doctor, though, that was Chris Chibnall--so anything Moffat did has no relevance whatsoever to this.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 14:28

In all honestly, I'm glad that Moffat has gone, under his leadership, the series went from bad to worse. I think Matt Smith would have faired better if the series had a better showrunner.

Moffat was good for doing singular episodes, (blink) but ever since he was at the top, I pretty much couldn't stand many of the episodes,, or the poor quality of the scriptwriting, or the general direction DW was going in.

I don't think Matt really shined, he was a lost chance, sure, he had some decent episodes, but not all. and as for Peter Capaldi, I couldn't stand his series much, his last one nearly made me stop watching all together.

Overall, the series needed a desperate change of direction and leadership. I'm fine with the Doctor being a female, while the episode wasn't one of the best, (one of my favs is The Girl in the Fireplace), now that was awesome. and 42 was another great episode. But then again, there been a fair few bad ones, and the 11 show starter wasn't one of them. IMO.
=

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 14:29

pjknibbs wrote:
Tue, 9. Oct 18, 13:46
Alee Enn wrote:
Tue, 9. Oct 18, 09:50
It is an opinion, but it's also based on what has happened to the show since Moffat got involved.
Moffat is not the showrunner who introduced a female Doctor, though, that was Chris Chibnall--so anything Moffat did has no relevance whatsoever to this.
Whatever pjknibbs. I think we're going to disagree on this. I'm not clicking on this thread again.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 20:21

- she'd look really smart with spikey blue hair..
- she's gotta get that krazy Manga feel for the part..

- direction needs to get more zany spacey-fied..
- something like a Stogey character..(??)
- Jodie, very promising.. :)

- me windmill of Halo Jones stylee.. :mrgreen:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 10. Oct 18, 13:58

What the Doctor is played by a woman!

Seriously, I don't think it makes any difference. I thought it was a good start. Gone are Moffat's in jokes and over complicated plotlines ( still not got all that "Silence" stuff).
Jodie seems to be doing OK
A flower?

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 10. Oct 18, 15:12

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
Wed, 10. Oct 18, 13:58
What the Doctor is played by a woman!

Seriously, I don't think it makes any difference. I thought it was a good start. Gone are Moffat's in jokes and over complicated plotlines ( still not got all that "Silence" stuff).
Jodie seems to be doing OK
Indeed,

I think Moffat going going off the rails, and the series went down after Matt took over, the series just got more and more boring.

I like the change, so lets hope for the best!
=

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Wed, 10. Oct 18, 15:19

I enjoyed the episode and Jo Whittaker's take on the character.

I did find the dark tones a little jarring though. I'm told this is Chibnall's signature style (I've never seen any of his other work so can't judge).
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 01:58

Just watched it and pretty much enjoyed it, the theme tune at the end was pretty darn awful, it was just a lot of noise whomever picked that and thought it was good, needs their hearing checked.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Return to “Off Topic English”