Other space games

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Doogerie1

Other space games

Post by Doogerie1 » Tue, 23. Oct 18, 12:16

So apart from the X series of ga Es what other space games do you play ?

I just got i to Elite Dangerous but I still can hardly wait for X4.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Other space games

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 23. Oct 18, 17:26

Another more general thread to perhaps give some ideas here.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

devilofbelfast
xr

Post by devilofbelfast » Thu, 25. Oct 18, 01:55

have you ever played startopia? Bit like the sims but on a space station and senario mission based
the four most important things iv'e found out,
1, your birth certificate is an apology letter from the condom factory.
2, dont argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experiance.
3, if gods watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining,
4, Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Thu, 25. Oct 18, 02:34

Scavenger: SV-4 is an "atmospheric game", kind of like Five Nights at Freddy's (in space!) only with a broader range of atmospheric influences than just horror. The horror component is actually a very tiny part of the overall experience, to the point that most games won't have anything horrifying in them at all. Potential horror is just a small part of the overall package.

I don't need to recommend it; all you need to do is watch a few videos on YouTube to figure out whether you'll like it or not.

Also anyone who actually plays the game please, please equip the radio instead of (or in addition to) the microphone. The radio tells you the moment drones have detected and engaged your lander. The microphone will pick up the sound of explosions and gunfire. Now tell me: which one is more useful? :angry:

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Thu, 25. Oct 18, 16:40

I like to play a round of FTL now and then.
Other than that there's not a lot of non-X series space games I enjoy.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

TATHUNDER
x4

Post by TATHUNDER » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 06:15

I'm currently playing Avorion until X4 is released. It is what you would get if X-btf and Space engineers had a baby.
Kablam!!!

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 09:27

Not exactly a space game but I'm playing Outpost Zero while waiting for X4.

It's sandbox on an alien planet with wares/weapons, bots and bases so feels familiar.

It's early access, cheap and a bit rough around the edges, best in multiplayer apparently as I'm only really interested in single player and no NPC so quite limited but it has a lot of potential. It's keeping me entertained for now and something different, happy to support the devs too as they're quite responsive to feedback with frequent updates in a similar vein to ES. Hardware requirements aren't that high either.
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 13:55

Had a look at Outpost Zero, reminds me somewhat of Eden Star which in my opinion never achieved it's full potential which was a shame.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 14:03

While not exactly space, I would recommend Subnautica. The setting is your ship crash lands on a mysterious ocean planet and you have to find out why while surviving and finding a way home. Its really good with lots of neat sci fi creatures in the depths.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 18:31

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:
Mon, 26. Nov 18, 14:03
While not exactly space, I would recommend Subnautica. The setting is your ship crash lands on a mysterious ocean planet and you have to find out why while surviving and finding a way home. Its really good with lots of neat sci fi creatures in the depths.
Absolutely guaranteed to give me nightmares... :)

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 22:25

Subnautica is excellent. Astroneer is also really good - a bit more cartoony in style than No Mans Sky, but a lot of fun.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 05:17

Doogerie1 wrote:
Tue, 23. Oct 18, 12:16
So apart from the X series of ga Es what other space games do you play ?
I have quite a list of space games I'm playing but because of pretty limited gaming hours per week I have been mostly concentrated the games below:
Star Citizen
Elite Dangerous
Hellion
Stellaris

All those games are still developing and getting better and better. There are plenty of great space games to play these days ...

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 17:15

I lost heart with Elite Dangerous. I went the exploration route. Mapped lots of systems, lots of planetary scans. Was hundreds of lightyears from nearest dockable location when the patch hit - and that patch removed all my discoveries: my name was no longer on a couple of hundred planets. Was absolutely gutted. My ship is still out there. I just don't want to fly all that way back for absolutely no reason.

And then it has the cheek to suggest I try and get the acheivement for scanning a habitable planet (which I'd done many times already).

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 18:31

esd wrote:
Tue, 27. Nov 18, 17:15
...And then it has the cheek to suggest I try and get the acheivement for scanning a habitable planet (which I'd done many times already).
I've never played it, but wasn't this an issue that they had a workaround for? ie: It was a known problem and there's a fix for it?

The only "space game" I've played recently is "Rimworld." (Sci-fi game)

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 19:17

Nope, I was playing on Xbox, and they converged all the discovery data, meaning my discoveries were overwritten, making everything I had done moot.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 19:23

esd wrote:
Tue, 27. Nov 18, 19:17
Nope, I was playing on Xbox, and they converged all the discovery data, meaning my discoveries were overwritten, making everything I had done moot.
Ahhh.... Yeah, I think I remember reading complaints about that, somewhere, from XBox users. Again - I don't play it, so may not accurately understand such things.

Very sad, though. I've had that happen in other games. You know the type - "Warning: This patch will require you to restart the game and is not saved-game compatible." I always hate those.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 20:21

I would have preferred that - it would have given me the chance to meaningfully explore. As it is I've got a 200+ly journey back to known space, and nothing to show for it.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 20:47

esd wrote:
Tue, 27. Nov 18, 20:21
I would have preferred that - it would have given me the chance to meaningfully explore. As it is I've got a 200+ly journey back to known space, and nothing to show for it.
Well, at least you have company, right? You can point to your hours played or something and then say "Yes. I, too, had an asteroid crammed up my rectum upon logging back into my XBox acount just like the rest of you..." :)

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 21:04

Nah I uninstalled it in favour of Subnautica.

Doogerie1

Post by Doogerie1 » Wed, 28. Nov 18, 20:36

esd wrote:
Tue, 27. Nov 18, 21:04
Nah I uninstalled it in favour of Subnautica.
Yeah Subnautica is pretty amazing

Return to “Off Topic English”