And now for something completely different...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MarvinTheMartian
x4

And now for something completely different...

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 09:50

After 25 years in IT management I've made an either brave or foolhardy decision to change careers. Completely.

Midlife crisis? Maybe.

I now own and manage a modest Panelbeating workshop. I do have an interest in cars, more on the mechanical side but there's not (as) much money in that and I'm finding it very rewarding.

I wouldn't say I was disillusioned with IT, however, this somehow more tangible - you can literally hit it with a hammer, and you're meant to. Not that I do :D

It's also not that much of a stretch going from managing IT technicians to collision repair technicians either, the technology is different but the needs of the team and the job require similar management styles/techniques and I think my background in this way is actually adding value.

So far, 7 weeks in, I'm really enjoying it and might even start an apprenticeship in the new year (who else would hire me for that!) but will certainly learn to MIG/Spot weld and maybe even paint.

Just thought I'd share, any collision repairers/refinishers in this community?
Last edited by MarvinTheMartian on Mon, 26. Nov 18, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

birdtable
x4

Re: And now for something completely different...

Post by birdtable » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 09:59

Best of luck Marvin .. :thumb_up:

Praefectus classis
x4

Post by Praefectus classis » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 11:33

I've had to learn Mig welding due to some work needed on a 21 year old Discovery of mine. It's only the outer panels that are aluminium, unfortunately.

Best of luck with your venture, Marvin. :thumb_up:
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 18:33

Congrats!

If you love your work, you'll never have to work a day in your life! :)

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 08:30

Cheers guys.

It's a giant leap of faith but so far everyone involved is exceptionally supportive and this might actually work out.

Welding Aluminium goes in the too-hard basket, been learning about galvanic corrosion etc. so mixing steel/Al is asking for trouble and I'll avoid that as long as possible.
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 10:24

Congratulations on making the leap, I think many of us stuck in a professional rut could do with following your example. . . . . scary as hell though.
Best of luck with your new business venture!
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 19:35

MarvinTheMartian wrote:
Tue, 27. Nov 18, 08:30
...Welding Aluminium goes in the too-hard basket, been learning about galvanic corrosion etc. so mixing steel/Al is asking for trouble and I'll avoid that as long as possible.
It takes a special hand to weld aluminum. Stainless steel, depending on the grade, too. We used to contract with "that one guy" welder who did heavy industrial work, just so we knew that everything that was called for was done right. I have a great deal of respect for experienced professional welders. I recently had to have something at home welded and, since I'm still relatively new here and don't have any industrial contacts in this area, I had to just randomly pick until I found a welder who'd come out to my house. He was a "farm welder," generally used to providing serviceable welds. Eh... It was "good enough" for the purposes I needed, so no complaints. At least it wasn't a tack-job, which I profusely cautioned against, since it's a stress-load weld and needs a good darn bead on it. At least I now have a service resource contact to put in my growing collection.

Anyway, the short of it is - I am very happy that you are happy with this new path you have chosen. :) My only advice is for you to, within reason, do your best to keep your old skillset from becoming too outdated or rusty. You may not be able to recert everything, but at least keep up with marketable skills, "just in case."

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 28. Nov 18, 10:07

Welding isn't that safe. Most of the effects take a long time to appear.

-welding some metals will kill/disable you if you breath the fumes. Galvanized/zinc metals and stainless steel are a couple dangerous ones.

-the light/energy released from welding can cause skin problems/cancer later on

-quite a few welders get sick later in life

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

Praefectus classis
x4

Post by Praefectus classis » Wed, 28. Nov 18, 10:40

For aluminium welding, a Tig welder that does AC is the preferred route. The shielding gases used are different between Mig and Tig too. Mig uses a mixture of argon, CO2 and a little O2. Tig uses pure argon.

A plasma cutter is a useful tool too although I last used one for cutting up an old mattress! :)
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 28. Nov 18, 19:59

burger1 wrote:
Wed, 28. Nov 18, 10:07
Welding isn't that safe. Most of the effects take a long time to appear.

-welding some metals will kill/disable you if you breath the fumes. Galvanized/zinc metals and stainless steel are a couple dangerous ones.

-the light/energy released from welding can cause skin problems/cancer later on

-quite a few welders get sick later in life

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever
Will it make someone's arm fall off? :)

Seriously - The most talented, acknowledged, independent industrial welder guy that we used only had one arm. :) But, he welded like a madman and did outstanding work. Don't ask me how he managed some of the stuff he did. But, he was around for decades, plying his trade. Most major plants knew who he was. Welded some big tanks and supports for us over the years, too. (Multiple thousands of pounds of force on many of those and expert welds necessary due to hazmat and the like.)

Return to “Off Topic English”