[Suggestions] Challenging Games Only

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Lyth
x4

[Suggestions] Challenging Games Only

Post by Lyth » Mon, 3. Dec 18, 20:19

I feel this is the right place to ask, being X gamers you can relate, am after some challenging games, not other games - You know the ones I am after, unrelenting, merciless, no manual and made to make you suffer/think.

Suggestions please.

If further clarification is required, not how I would word it but to the point. (Abit of bad language, fair warning)
https://youtu.be/n7VAhzPcZ-s?t=11
Take it easy, If you can't - Take it by force.

RegisterMe
x4

Re: [Suggestions] Challenging Games Only

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 3. Dec 18, 20:37

Well Dwarf Fortress is the obvious answer :).

But I've recently got into Kenshi, and it's brutal. A very, very good game. I am going to be playing it for some time.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 3. Dec 18, 22:35

Kenshi.

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 00:46

Yeah Dwarf Fortress would be my number one pick. Learning curve =FUN=

But Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV would also get a mention if you're into grand strategy.

Others, I can think of off the top of my head, would include FTL, Super Hexagon and Nethack.
and if you're into that twitch streaming nonsense then the platformer: I wanna be the guy.

Lyth
x4

Post by Lyth » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 05:47

Thank you for the suggestions. :)

Have played and knocked Dwarf Fortress, FTL, Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV off my list.

Super Hexagon I will try out, looks bizarre. :)

Am on the fence with nethack, desktop dungeons scratched my itch for roguelike puzzle games.

They are Billions and Plague Inc, were the last games I really got stuck into that I face-palmed too so am a bit behind.

p.s. Yes to DF being one of those top of all list games, gnomoria really scratches my itch for it from time to time but no real comparison once you are used to DF's commands.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 08:30

Hearts of Iron 2 Complete is fab and only 15 euro on steam
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Lyth
x4

Post by Lyth » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 09:23

Nice, never heard of that one before.

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 10:19

GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Lyth
x4

Post by Lyth » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 10:55

That brings back memories, I used to run a persistent galaxy over a decade ago now, close to 2, those games were years ahead of their time but so difficult to get going. A few ppl from these forums were there with me, so many great idea's that just didn't gain traction, how much better is it now?
Lyth wrote:
Fri, 6. Dec 13, 09:36
pjknibbs wrote:
Ubern wrote: Yesterdays games weren't shipped in dilapidated states that required months of patches post release to fix......just saying.
Really? I must have been imagining the total disasters that were the original releases of Frontier: Elite 2 and Battlecruiser 3000AD, then...
Noo, you said BC 3000 AD!
*Runs off crying*

Just thinking about that game and the strife it went through just to get released gives me PTSD, if only kickstarter had been around in the 80's.

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 14:54

Factario, is a real challenge!
You ain't getting me on no M3 Fool !

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 18:37

A Battletoads post? ;)

Well... play Battletoads, then.

Rimworld is a good choice because there's enough of a healthy level of "challenge" involved so that "uber gamers" (from the vid) can exercise their e-peens, but also enough "randomness" to remind uber-gamers that it's fun to lose, too. It's all about "playing."

Mount & Blade: Warband with the "Prophesy of Pendor" full-conversion mod. It will kick your butt for you. :)

Dark Souls, of course, because "You Died."

Medieval II: Total War or Total War: Empire, depending up on which era you like. Win as a minor faction. Be sure to install the appropriate "Darthmod" for either game, to be sure that certain little bugs are patched out and to fix some issues. (Shame how they snubbed him...)

X-Com, either the original or the remake, for your squad-combat fix. Or, if you're a bit daring, try out either of the first two "UFO" games, "UFO:Aftermath" or "UFO:Aftershock."

"Power Gaming for E-Peen Score" is generally achieved by "Uber-Gamers" when they impose restrictions and victory conditions upon themselves that are not inherently supported by the game they're playing. In other words, in order to find a truly challenging way to play a game that is, after all, marketed to "noobs" and "uber-gamers" alike, one generally has to go outside of the scope of intended play. This means that ANY decent game with enough game mechanics to allow for it can be a "challenging game." "Uber-gamers", the real ones, create their own game challenges.

After all, games that are "practically unwinnable" are not very popular. And, in a generally well-constructed game, the only thing that stands between a "noob" and an "uber-gamer" is the will to put enough effort into playing the game well. There's no such thing as an unlearned, inherent, natural, talent. It doesn't exist except in that youtuber's head.

PS - The guy in the vid was a bit pretentious. I chalk it up to his unbridled enthusiasm in discovering that games exist.

berth
x4

Post by berth » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 22:44

Original Doom, on ultra-violence, starting each level with just the pistol. It can be done, I know because I have done it. Brings new meaning to the phrase "run & gun" :)

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 01:04

Slay the Spire w/ Ascension mode.

edit: Oh and expert mode songs on Beat Saber. One hell of an arm workout.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 01:54

HOI4 is broken. Don't buy it. At least for a few years.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Lyth
x4

Post by Lyth » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 06:38

Factorio - have looked at that one a few times now, seems like a good fallback unless you say it should be a must,

Slay the spire - looked like a watered down darkest dungeon but will take another look if you recommend it.

FPS games - I do prefer multiplayer for those but I do enjoy a good single player one.

Battletoads - umm, no.
Rimworld - I love. Just flat out love this game.
Total War games - Love the campaign modes but the battles have always left me underwhelmed.
Dark Souls - Only has a high learning curve, once you learn the weaknesses and mechanics it's about not making a mistake and hiding in the shadow of bottoms, I loved the atmosphere of that game the most.
X-com - I enjoyed the originals, the remakes were a little over-hyped I felt but did enjoy the nostalgia.

The video - aslong as you know it is a parody clip, the reviewer uses zero punctuation for comedic effect, his name is Yahtzee, this wouldn't be self evident unless you have seen his other reviews.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 21:03

Lyth wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 06:38
...Total War games - Love the campaign modes but the battles have always left me underwhelmed.
I feel the same way sometimes. But, I still love the battles since few games have ever done them so well. Try out MTW2 with Stainless Steel, since IIRC it corrects some issues and, again IIRC, makes auto-resolve a bit better and less "cheaty", and then just play only with the campaign map.

My favorite game mechanic about MTW2 was the significance of the non-combat pieces/units. Spies, assassins, religious units, etc.. It gave the game a really nice "boardgame" feel. That and the Pope, of course.
X-com - I enjoyed the originals, the remakes were a little over-hyped I felt but did enjoy the nostalgia.
The UFO series is really good, far ahead of its time. Some of the graphics are... crap, but mostly just when you're trying to figure out multilevel maps. The atmosphere in the first of the series is, IMO, by far the best. The art design is outstanding for its day and what it lends to the feel of the game is something that's rare to find in any game. Late-game can get a bit "too easy" if you go for the somewhat "cheaty" builds for troops. Anyway, the first two are worth picking up in the next sale. The third is probably good too, but I'm not a fan of the setting/look.
The video - aslong as you know it is a parody clip, the reviewer uses zero punctuation for comedic effect, his name is Yahtzee, this wouldn't be self evident unless you have seen his other reviews.
Ah, gotcha. He did go a bit over the edge, there... But, it was so much like what "uber-gamers" scream on game forums that I took it "for realz." :)

Another game to consider is something the Europa Universalis series. Extremely deep, complex, play that can, by all appearances of my youtube views of let's plays, be brutal. :)

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 02:33

Just try to find really buggy games and have a go at them. I find that unintended challenges are always harder then intended challenges. Oh, and if you can find a game that are both buggy but also have a overcomplicate and asine rule set, it'll be a bonus. Base on that profile I highly recommend Battlecruise Millennium to satisfy your need.

I remember WarBand was a lot more fun when it was a buggy mess with literally nothing working on the economy side. The game became a lot less challenging when your properties started paying proper taxes. :(
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

kyoo
x4

Post by kyoo » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 08:44

path of exile on hardcore mode can be pretty challenging

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 02:08

kyoo wrote:
Sat, 15. Dec 18, 08:44
path of exile on hardcore mode can be pretty challenging
^--- This. With solo-self-found. :)
Mightysword wrote:
Fri, 7. Dec 18, 02:33
I remember WarBand was a lot more fun when it was a buggy mess with literally nothing working on the economy side. The game became a lot less challenging when your properties started paying proper taxes. :(
Warband, with the Prophesy of Pendor mod, on Normal difficulty or harder. It's one of the best mods in the entire stable of Warband mods and recommended for "experienced players." It's easily in my top three favorite mods for Warband.

Return to “Off Topic English”