[Suggestions] Challenging Games Only

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: [Suggestions] Challenging Games Only

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 21:03

Lyth wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 06:38
...Total War games - Love the campaign modes but the battles have always left me underwhelmed.
I feel the same way sometimes. But, I still love the battles since few games have ever done them so well. Try out MTW2 with Stainless Steel, since IIRC it corrects some issues and, again IIRC, makes auto-resolve a bit better and less "cheaty", and then just play only with the campaign map.

My favorite game mechanic about MTW2 was the significance of the non-combat pieces/units. Spies, assassins, religious units, etc.. It gave the game a really nice "boardgame" feel. That and the Pope, of course.
X-com - I enjoyed the originals, the remakes were a little over-hyped I felt but did enjoy the nostalgia.
The UFO series is really good, far ahead of its time. Some of the graphics are... crap, but mostly just when you're trying to figure out multilevel maps. The atmosphere in the first of the series is, IMO, by far the best. The art design is outstanding for its day and what it lends to the feel of the game is something that's rare to find in any game. Late-game can get a bit "too easy" if you go for the somewhat "cheaty" builds for troops. Anyway, the first two are worth picking up in the next sale. The third is probably good too, but I'm not a fan of the setting/look.
The video - aslong as you know it is a parody clip, the reviewer uses zero punctuation for comedic effect, his name is Yahtzee, this wouldn't be self evident unless you have seen his other reviews.
Ah, gotcha. He did go a bit over the edge, there... But, it was so much like what "uber-gamers" scream on game forums that I took it "for realz." :)

Another game to consider is something the Europa Universalis series. Extremely deep, complex, play that can, by all appearances of my youtube views of let's plays, be brutal. :)

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 02:33

Just try to find really buggy games and have a go at them. I find that unintended challenges are always harder then intended challenges. Oh, and if you can find a game that are both buggy but also have a overcomplicate and asine rule set, it'll be a bonus. Base on that profile I highly recommend Battlecruise Millennium to satisfy your need.

I remember WarBand was a lot more fun when it was a buggy mess with literally nothing working on the economy side. The game became a lot less challenging when your properties started paying proper taxes. :(
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

kyoo
x4

Post by kyoo » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 08:44

path of exile on hardcore mode can be pretty challenging

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 02:08

kyoo wrote:
Sat, 15. Dec 18, 08:44
path of exile on hardcore mode can be pretty challenging
^--- This. With solo-self-found. :)
Mightysword wrote:
Fri, 7. Dec 18, 02:33
I remember WarBand was a lot more fun when it was a buggy mess with literally nothing working on the economy side. The game became a lot less challenging when your properties started paying proper taxes. :(
Warband, with the Prophesy of Pendor mod, on Normal difficulty or harder. It's one of the best mods in the entire stable of Warband mods and recommended for "experienced players." It's easily in my top three favorite mods for Warband.

Return to “Off Topic English”