Again I die...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Again I die...

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 07:41

Last week my graphics card blew, so I bought a new one. Last night my PC blew up too, so I'm left without a PC, but with a lovely shiny *almost* new graphics card. - What I wanted to know is whether I could get away with buying a new barebones motherboard with CPU (and a new PSU and Win 10 licence) and get away with slapping that into my existing PC case (It was a CCL Storm - think it's a small/midi tower with a tiny motherboard.) -Obviously, it needs to be a CPU that'll handle X4 well. - I don't have a lot of spare cash available at the minute, but wondered if it'd be doable for someone who isn't blessed with a lot of technical skill. (And any recommendations for a combo of what I need for a maximum of £600.00 would be greatly appreciated.)

And, yes, I was playing X4 when it blew! LOL
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Socratatus
x4

Re: Again I die...

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 07:54

Gavrushka wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 07:41
Last week my graphics card blew, so I bought a new one. Last night my PC blew up too, so I'm left without a PC, but with a lovely shiny *almost* new graphics card. - What I wanted to know is whether I could get away with buying a new barebones motherboard with CPU (and a new PSU and Win 10 licence) and get away with slapping that into my existing PC case (It was a CCL Storm - think it's a small/midi tower with a tiny motherboard.) -Obviously, it needs to be a CPU that'll handle X4 well. - I don't have a lot of spare cash available at the minute, but wondered if it'd be doable for someone who isn't blessed with a lot of technical skill. (And any recommendations for a combo of what I need for a maximum of £600.00 would be greatly appreciated.)

And, yes, I was playing X4 when it blew! LOL
Its doable. but you need to check that the motherboard is compatible with the case. And you don`t need a lot of skill, just research care and patience. £600 should you get you something pretty decent since you already have the graphic card which is often one of the most expensive parts.

I advise getting as good as motherboard as you can, try not to be cheap as they`re the backbone of your pc, and have a good quality psu too as that`s the heart of your pc! Good psus are quite affordable if you don`t go modular. You may also need to buy new ram for the motherboard so check on that. I can`t say much about the case fit because I just don`t know that case. But you can check- if it`s a mid/small atx then get a mid atx motherboard. The motherboard specs will say what its sizeis if you check.

You may even be able to buy some stuff cheap 2nd hand, like ram as I did (though I advise buy new for motherboard and psu).

I myself was able to afford a good motherboard, a Ryzen 2 (they are good and cheaper than intel ) with an excellent psu and bought 16 gig cheapish slow ram to tide me over until I can afford faster ram. It all kept me within the £600 area- and it`s a very good system.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 09:31

Ah, thanks, that's great. - The motherboard is micro-ATX, so I'll be sure to look out for that. - And my previous CPU was AMD, so my preference was a Ryzen. - It's hard working out what is a 'good CPU' from what is an outdated one, so I'll probably post here again with the details before hitting the 'buy me now' button.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

bl3ek
x4

Post by bl3ek » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 09:34

What 'blew up' exactly?

Are you sure it's not just a failed PSU?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 09:55

bl3ek wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 09:34
What 'blew up' exactly?

Are you sure it's not just a failed PSU?
Ah, nothing blew up, but it simply powered off. - There's still power going through the USB ports (joystick light stays on) and, unlike last time, removing the graphics card didn't allow it to boot. When I flick the power switch where the cable enters the PC, then try booting, the red power light on the front flicks on for a moment. After that, I'd get no red light until I toggle the main power switch again. I appreciate it could be anything, but I've no means of checking. I *think* the CPU has blown because I did note some very high temperatures a couple of days back.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 10:38

Just a quick ask, and bearing in mind I have the graphics card already, is this a good purchase. (It's a little more than I intended to spend, but it'd save me a lot of hassle.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B53RB52/ ... =UTF8&th=1

Thanks.

PabloRSA
x4

Post by PabloRSA » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 10:45

Before forking out £££ for everything, see if you can narrow it down because some mainboards have a boot code showing or they may give you sounds.
Do you see or hear anything?

A post bootup code on the mainboard could be anything from 00 to FF and looks something like this..
External Site: https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/ ... 848916.jpg

Sound boot codes.
External site: https://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Need to refer to manufactures manual to find out what each code mean as each manufacture may have a different code.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 10:50

Ah, there's no beeps, nothing. If there had been, I'd have done my utmost to identify the issue. I *hate* spending money without good cause, but there's nothing to indicate where the fault lies, even with everything unplugged.

consiefe

Post by consiefe » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 10:53

Here is what i did:

I bought an Asus b450 motherboard, ryzen 5 2600x, 8gb Kingston ram and Asus 1050ti oc edition gpu. Installed them onto my 4 years old thermaltake case with 750w corsair psu.

I'm playing on ultra settings and getting 26-27 fps with this relatively cheap system. Hope this gives you an idea.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 10:55

Thank you, it does. - The biggest minefield for me is identifying what's a decent CPU, as similar named ones can be a half decade apart technology-wise.

consiefe

Post by consiefe » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 11:06

Gavrushka wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 10:55
Thank you, it does. - The biggest minefield for me is identifying what's a decent CPU, as similar named ones can be a half decade apart technology-wise.
Ryzen 5 2600x is only 7 months old. You can chech its scores from the userbenchmark site, it's powerful.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 11:15

consiefe wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 11:06

Ryzen 5 2600x is only 7 months old. You can chech its scores from the userbenchmark site, it's powerful.
That is a brilliant site, thank you. *Bookmarked* - But now I'm confused why the Palicomp PC I linked to a few posts ago is so cheap, considering over half the cost is for the CPU.

Drzator

Post by Drzator » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 11:25

X4 is power hungry even at 60 FPS ~260W (BF5 ~220W 60FPS ultra 1080p),r5 1600 + gtx 1080.

Tell us what you have now.

R5 2600x + B450 MB + 16Gb RAM is more then enought for gaming. But if you looking for rock stable 60FPS in X4 + playing beta games, then you will need CPU whit higher clocks, this mean premium price.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 11:33

Drzator wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 11:25
X4 is power hungry even at 60 FPS ~260W (BF5 ~220W 60FPS ultra 1080p),r5 1600 + gtx 1080.

Tell us what you have now.

R5 2600x + B450 MB + 16Gb RAM is more then enought for gaming. But if you looking for rock stable 60FPS in X4 + playing beta games, then you will need CPU whit higher clocks, this mean premium price.

Haha, what I have now is a smouldering pile of cooked PC parts. - I'd been running an X4 880k 4.2 Ghz with 1050GTI and 16Gb RAM, and was getting 40-45 fps (but only on high settings at 1920x1080) dropping as low as 20 when in a station with the map up. - The low framerates didn't cause me any grief, but were perhaps underlining how taxed the CPU (may it rest in peace) was.

letwolf

Post by letwolf » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 11:35

600 pounds? quite alot, in our country I can get decent rig in ~300 usd (used, obviously)

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 11:43

letwolf wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 11:35
600 pounds? quite alot, in our country I can get decent rig in ~300 usd (used, obviously)
On my way! :lol:

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 11:51

With my budget, which was around £600, I managed a Ryzen2 7200X. It costs a bit more but still cheaper than the Intel equivalent and a very good workhorse, not just for games. Will futureproof you for a good while too. Just beware the Ryzens are a little bigger and come with their own (very good) cpu fan cooler.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

niksenior

Post by niksenior » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 12:11

£600 just get a Ryzen barebones deal.

You got a psu right?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-bund ... 1g-am.html

Raztax
x4

Post by Raztax » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 14:55

If you are looking for a good resource for information in helping put a pc together, (since you said you were not blessed with a lot of technical skill) if you are familiar with Reddit, there is a sub called /r/buildapc/ that is great for pc building advice.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

letwolf

Post by letwolf » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 16:55

ryzen is crap. get core i5 and be fine

Return to “Off Topic English”