How long is the Forum-Timeout

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

HighVelocity
x3ap

How long is the Forum-Timeout

Post by HighVelocity » Sat, 29. Dec 18, 21:31

Greetings
A questions for the "chiefs"......

Sometimes i want to help modders, but is difficult, if you forced-logged-out of the forum.

Example: i read something and i want to try or to help answer a question;
I switch to X4 and test the mod;
I switch back to the forum and start writing: reply ........
I switch back to X4-flying to make sure my answer is correct;
I switch back to the forum and want to send the answer an suddenly it pops up "you need to log in"......

Of course my whole answer is now in space and lost .........
It also happens, when i´m reading a little bit to long about the mods on nexus and again: "you need to log in" ...........that´s really annoying

SO: how long is the time that i am forced "log out" of the egosoft-forum ??? 10 minutes maybe because i´m not clicking anything ?

greetings, hv

RegisterMe
x4

Re: How long is the Forum-Timeout

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 30. Dec 18, 00:29

No idea, but I always use something as basic as possible (like notepad) when I am concerned about such behaviour on a forum.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Sun, 30. Dec 18, 05:44

The logout timeout is a lot longer then that, especially if you have the remember me option turned on so it can survive the browser shutting down. By the looks of the cookies PHPBB is sending back it seems the sessions have a year to timeout if you have the remember me option set so the login session should be lasting a very long time.

However sometimes forums issues can be fixed by clearing your browser cache so give that a try and see if that fixes things.
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 30. Dec 18, 11:10

Does anyone actually keep their session cookies these days? Seriously? I mean, you guys don't order your browser to dump its cache when it's closed?

o.O

That's like... so 80's. :)

I'm no webmaster, but it's typical to expire sessions after an hour or so, right? Or, perhaps I'm thinking of active connections?

HighVelocity
x3ap

Post by HighVelocity » Sun, 30. Dec 18, 11:33

Thanks for the answers and it is interesting. I never delete during reading cookies or something similar. Only by shutting down at midnight after 10 hours or so.

A prove ist, that mostly the only two homepages open are egosoft and X4-Nexus and by nexus you have always to be logged in, when you are downloading one file. And in Nexus i stay logged in. Sometimes for hours. If i would have done something or "kaspersky", i would also been thrown out by nexus. But that never happens. I already testet that long ago. With deleting cookies i´m also thrown out of nexus.

And than i switch to egosoft after some time and click for example to the german forum and of course i immediately see in the right corner, that my name is gone.
I investigate more with using a timer ...........

thanks for now, hv ......

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 30. Dec 18, 11:56

HighVelocity wrote:
Sat, 29. Dec 18, 21:31
I switch back to the forum and want to send the answer an suddenly it pops up "you need to log in"......

Of course my whole answer is now in space and lost .........
Pressing the back button in your browser should bring back the reply field with your text still being available.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Return to “Off Topic English”