Time, Boltzman's Boxes, Multiple Universes and Fluid Flows

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RegisterMe
x4

Time, Boltzman's Boxes, Multiple Universes and Fluid Flows

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 30. Dec 18, 02:22

This is a dated (ahemm) 2013 talk but well worth a watch:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhnKBKZvb_U

Anything newer, and more up to date (and as consumer friendly) available?

RM
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: Time, Boltzman's Boxes, Multiple Universes and Fluid Flows

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 31. Dec 18, 00:04

RegisterMe wrote:
Sun, 30. Dec 18, 02:22
...Anything newer, and more up to date (and as consumer friendly) available?
That's a difficult question to answer, mostly because just because it's an "updated" topic that doesn't mean the new idea is "true." :) There's a lot that we don't know and probably a bunch that we know we don't know. Which do you want updates on? :) (Note: A lot of things that get popularized are popularized because they draw attention, page-hits, clicks or sell books or otherwise draw attention to "science" and, thus, sciencey persons want to promote them. But, next week, they could be completely debunked/falsified... or proved factual or to have predictive value. Only to be disproved next year... That's science, yay!)

I watched pieces of the vid on the subjects in your thread-title. I skipped the fluid dynamics bit, since that's sort of an allegory/example of a system that seems to "work like" what other theories have put forth.

For the "Time" bit, look for "entropy and time" updates. For Boltzmann Boxes and Brains, that's Boltzmann and he's not going to change his mind, since he's dead. For ideas surrounding Multiverse/Multiple Universes, take your pick. They're absolutely required for String Theory, which doesn't have a testable proof yet, and in some cosmological theories. But, IMO, the ones that talk the most about them are simply avoiding what they might consider as "uncomfortable" questions, like "Why this universe, now?" (ie: Trying to figure out a means to imply the Universe is not a special or privileged instance. (Avoiding the "God Question" or "Intelligent Design" or some other idea requiring uncomfortable philosophical discussion, IMO.) For fluid dynamics, good luck...

Susskind is awesome and, of course, has a very popular series of lectures: The Theoretical Minimum. (It's also a great set of books, too. A bit heavy on maths, but not a big deal if you just take your time.)

There's also Susskind's lectures on Cosmology - Susskind- Cosmology Lectures

There's also this: Physics for Future Presidents

RegisterMe
x4

Re: Time, Boltzman's Boxes, Multiple Universes and Fluid Flows

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 31. Dec 18, 13:36

Thanks for the links Morkonan :).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Return to “Off Topic English”