New Horizons: (486958) 2014 MU69

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bishop149
x3

New Horizons: (486958) 2014 MU69

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 4. Jan 19, 11:13

https://www.wired.com/story/new-horizon ... ima-thule/

So we have a new most distant object imaged from a fly by! Personally I'm enjoying the flurry of recent focus on the non-planetary bodies that make up our solar system, cool to learn whats out there and how it might inform solar system formation.
I also think these "extras after the official end of the main mission" missions are probably my favourite bits of space science.
So much great and unexpected stuff has come out of such things.

You might wonder why I didn't use the objects common nickname in the title.
Well, whilst looking for a good article to link here I also found this, to which my first reaction was "Oh FFS, can't we have ANYTHING nice!".
In light of this info I think I prefer and will stick to the objects official name.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

pjknibbs
x4

Re: New Horizons: (486958) 2014 MU69

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 4. Jan 19, 12:30

OK, that fuss about the name is ridiculous. "Ultima Thule" existed long before the Nazis, just as the swastika did. Why are we letting the alt-right essentially set the agenda here by excising anything that might be associated with them? I just wait for the moment when some alt-right party adopts the name "Greater London" and see how long it takes before someone says we should rename our capital!

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 4. Jan 19, 13:10

When it comes to rewriting history I'd probably agree with you.
However when it comes to naming things discovered / invented post-1945 then I think steering clear of names evoking Nazi ideology is probably a good general policy.
Well, unless you specifically WANT to evoke them of course. :roll:
The name isn't even official anyway.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Fri, 4. Jan 19, 13:31

It would be far more reasonable to boycott the Olympic Rings - there's a much more well-known nazi link there.

This one? Nobody knows about it. In that this article was the first I'd ever heard of it.

Ultimately (heh) there's probably no word or phrase you can use that hasn't been used by some bad people somewhere in human history.

However, I respect the thinking behind your desire to avoid this name even if I personally think it unnecessary in this case.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 4. Jan 19, 14:03

I agree its a minor issue, an obscure unofficial name the connotations of which I too had no idea of until I googled it.
But it's very minorness, obscurity and unofficalness also means it costs me absolutely ziltch to not use, whilst avoiding a slight feeling of impropriety.
Thus I personally will do so, but will not be at all offended if others chose not to.

Right, name issue dealt with. Back on topic.

Return to “Off Topic English”