2020 US presidential election

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fiksal
x4

Re: 2020 US presidential election

Post by fiksal » Tue, 24. Dec 19, 19:30

Mightysword wrote:
Tue, 24. Dec 19, 18:19
And like I said Sander being a very divisive figure himself, would pick an answer that will piss half of the country off. Doesn't matter what you think about that other half, you need to work with them to have any real progress done.
In that sense, this strategy worked well for Trump. Maybe it can be repeated by Sanders ;)
minus all the racism
Observe wrote:
Tue, 24. Dec 19, 03:42
fiksal wrote:
Mon, 23. Dec 19, 16:46
I want to see Sanders have a go at the presidency. It seems to me he is the one who will actually go the distance with what he says.
Being realistic, I tend to agree. Yang is very unlikely to be the nominee. Sanders has the experience and has more or less stayed on course for the entirety of his political life. I would vote for him without reservation.
I am not keen on Democratic party process, I thought before Sanders would've been a clear choice last time, but the party decided that Clinton is safer choice. And she was, except she lost.

So we will see if they still think that and rather pick someone safer like Biden. Or not.

I'll add my vote for Sanders in primaries one more time.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 24. Dec 19, 19:41

fiksal wrote:
Tue, 24. Dec 19, 19:30
Mightysword wrote:
And like I said Sander being a very divisive figure himself, would pick an answer that will piss half of the country off. Doesn't matter what you think about that other half, you need to work with them to have any real progress done.
In that sense, this strategy worked well for Trump. Maybe it can be repeated by Sanders ;)
Then you missed an important part of that state. "Real Progress". It doesn't matter for Trump, for all the bell and whistle around him, he's not the running on a progressive agenda.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Rnett
x2

Post by Rnett » Sat, 28. Dec 19, 17:22

Bloomberg would have the best chance to beat Trump, the others are uninspiring.

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Sat, 28. Dec 19, 17:29

America's obsession with old-fart billionaires never ceases to boggle my mind.
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 28. Dec 19, 19:14

speak for yourself =p I've never believed anyone who tries to run the country like it's a company is going to have a clue wtf they're doing. See current president as an example.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 28. Dec 19, 19:21

The thing is they are also the most unsuited people to run a country, as they have no idea what their country or the real people are all about. They have no idea what it is like to be a normal person, they only know about being rich and of other rich people. Ask them what it is like to not be able to pay the bills or what it is like to worry about where the next meal is going to come from, or even what it is like to not know where you are going to safely sleep at night. The only experience of life they have is money and how to spend it on frivolous things, they have no experience on actual life, so how can they make a judgement on something they have not got a clue about.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 28. Dec 19, 19:49

Well, to be fair, I'm not even sure Trump qualifies as a billionaire. Maybe once like 40 years ago, but estimates put his worth in the millions - not that it really changes his outlook on the world, or how I perceive him. And he also has a history of not paying his bills. 6 bankruptcies and the slew of unpaid bills at the hillbilly rallies.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Sat, 28. Dec 19, 19:52

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sat, 28. Dec 19, 19:14
speak for yourself =p I've never believed anyone who tries to run the country like it's a company is going to have a clue wtf they're doing. See current president as an example.
And yet whoever gets to be the next president is going to be an old fart, with good ods on it beeing someone raised with a silver spoon, and looking at the past too, i stand by my statement.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 28. Dec 19, 20:59

well be fair now... you have to be at least 35 to run for president. Most Americans will never vote for a candidate that has no experience in governing and it's rare to find someone with that kind of experience in the 50's and younger crowd. They exists but they're few and far between. Don't get me wrong, we do want them and it would be of great benefit to us in general to have younger candidates but they're just extremely difficult to find - that and age really only becomes a factor when looking for a reason not to vote for a candidate.

As far as the silver spoon thing... I dunno, that's kind of a dubious claim. I mean sure, on the republican side it's fairly common. In the most recent examples, The Bush family were Texas oil barons. Regan was an actor. Trump is a con artist. But that's not really the case on the democrat side. Obama's family were immigrants. Bill Clinton grew up in a broken home with an abusive step father and went to college on scholarships and part time jobs. It wasn't until Clinton graduated law school that he started seeing significant monies.
rebellionpac.com

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Sat, 28. Dec 19, 21:18

I'd argue they don't need that time to gather experience, they need that time to make the "right" friends and get into the pockets of the "right" people, by the time they are given the chance to become president they are mere tools of whoevers pockets they are in.

The amount of unpopular old farts in power are more than a little testament to that. Aslo why nobody mentions imposing term-limits seriously.

And don't kid yourself, one of the hallmarks of the US is it's obsession with wealth and wealthy people.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 29. Dec 19, 03:48

eh, I'm sure some people obsess over the wealthy but not as many as you may think. Americans are not obsessed with the Kardashians or the Hiltons, and most couldn't ramble off a list of fortune 500 companies beyond like 4 or 5 of them despite what TV would have you think. I know they're in the news a lot, but that doesn't mean most give a rats ass. I think you would find that people look more at how they are being used to make others wealthy and not reaping any of the benefits themselves.

There's a lot of people, myself included, that want to put an end to corporate lobbying. I don't believe business interests should define legislature for our citizens, rather it should be the other way around. After all, the constitution begins "We, the people..." not "We, the corporations..." That's something that Sanders beats up on, which I can totally support.

I can't speak for every voter out there, but I've said before, what matters to me most is the character of the candidate. And while I can't prove one way or the other, and I'm not saying he's my choice at this hour, Sanders doesn't appear to have any skeletons in his closet. I'm not aware of any instances where he's dicked over people to get ahead. He seems to have a genuine belief in what he's saying and seems to genuinely care more about the American people than himself. If that holds true, he may very well be the best shot for me. Time will tell and I'm not discounting any of the democrat candidates at this time, except that one from Hawaii... There's just something about her that makes me not want to like her at all, like an evil aura. And of course, the GOP isn't going to allow any republican to seriously challenge Trump so, they're a lost cause.
rebellionpac.com

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sun, 29. Dec 19, 05:17

Obama just dropped over ten million on a mansion. The Clintons raked in money into their foundation in exchange for favors while they held an office. Pelosi is a lifelong politician worth more than 100 million. Bernie is a millionaire with multiple homes despite never having worked a real job in his entire life. Warren is a millionaire. Biden is millionaire. Biden's son is a perfect example of politics making a millionaire out of a worthless man. That's a problem with politics being a means to wealth. You get politicians privately obligated to doing the bidding of donors while saying things in public they calculate their supporters want to hear. Trump had that in his favor last election. He was already wealthy. He doesn't need to serve any donors. He can run his platform however he wants. He made a gamble on being unlike a politician and it worked. Having political correctness thrown in his face and him stomping it to death had appeal. I think it will work again for him.

What keeps catching my attention about the policies the dems are putting out there is that they are not designed to make America any better and they consistently seem to be the opposite of Trump just to be the opposite. We can't absorb the cost of medicare for all without more taxes. Same with all the other "free" stuff they want to provide. There is no benefit to embracing illegal aliens yet they do it. There is no reason to pay reparations for a war 150 years ago where everyone affected is long dead and no one living can be expected to pay them. No reason to embrace extreme gun control measures when they don't work. These are policies the dems are putting out not to achieve anything positive but to make people feel good for supporting them. None of them are talking about improving the quality of life of Americans anymore. It is all social justice progressive feelings based rot and if you don't want it you are a bigot, a racist, and a dozen other phobes and ism's. Meanwhile everyone who is not emotionally deranged by President Trump knows what they are going to get if they vote for him even if they don't like him personally. That isn't going to be easy to beat.
Who made that man a gunner?

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 29. Dec 19, 07:10

Mightysword wrote:
Tue, 24. Dec 19, 19:41
fiksal wrote:
Tue, 24. Dec 19, 19:30
Mightysword wrote:
Then you missed an important part of that state. "Real Progress". It doesn't matter for Trump, for all the bell and whistle around him, he's not the running on a progressive agenda.
Hehe, Trump isnt there to make progress indeed, - is that the first thing we agreed on?

Grim Lock wrote:
Sat, 28. Dec 19, 17:29
America's obsession with old-fart billionaires never ceases to boggle my mind.
Anyone has better idea?
Maximum age and wealth limit?

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Sun, 29. Dec 19, 13:22

fiksal wrote:
Sun, 29. Dec 19, 07:10
Anyone has better idea?
Maximum age and wealth limit?
I don't know about that, i would however put term-limits on both house seats and senate seats, probably some others that don't come to mind right now. Banning lobbying by companies and limiting their political influence would be a good start imo.

Though it's more about a state of mind than something simply changed with a set of rules.

(personally i wouldn't really mind an age limit too, but that's just never gonna happen)

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 29. Dec 19, 13:27

Masterbagger wrote:
Sun, 29. Dec 19, 05:17
Obama just dropped over ten million on a mansion. The Clintons raked in money into their foundation in exchange for favors while they held an office. Pelosi is a lifelong politician worth more than 100 million. Bernie is a millionaire with multiple homes despite never having worked a real job in his entire life. Warren is a millionaire. Biden is millionaire. Biden's son is a perfect example of politics making a millionaire out of a worthless man. That's a problem with politics being a means to wealth. You get politicians privately obligated to doing the bidding of donors while saying things in public they calculate their supporters want to hear. Trump had that in his favor last election. He was already wealthy. He doesn't need to serve any donors. He can run his platform however he wants. He made a gamble on being unlike a politician and it worked. Having political correctness thrown in his face and him stomping it to death had appeal. I think it will work again for him.
Now hold that same lens of financial probity up to the Trump administration and the GoP in general. The Dems are a rounding error on the back of the brazen Trump / GoP greed, corruption, and snout in trough behaviour. They just smile at you and say "but I'm a great businessman" whilst stealing your wallet, denying you healthcare and education, and wrecking your environment. And you smile right back and vote for them.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 29. Dec 19, 17:15

RegisterMe wrote:
Sun, 29. Dec 19, 13:27

Now hold that same lens of financial probity up to the Trump administration and the GoP in general. The Dems are a rounding error on the back of the brazen Trump / GoP greed, corruption, and snout in trough behaviour. They just smile at you and say "but I'm a great businessman" whilst stealing your wallet, denying you healthcare and education, and wrecking your environment. And you smile right back and vote for them.
My dude, your efforts are wasted. Other than the 1%, Trump lovers' problem with democrats has nothing to do directly with money and everything to do with anything that shows compassion to south and central Americans that want to come to the US to escape the corrupt governments and drug cartels, and anything that benefits African Americans, even as unlikely as the proposed reparations are.

If they actually believed the bs they spew about a war 150 years ago, they wouldn't get pissed off when someone wants to take down confederate statues, most of which weren't erected until the mid 1900's at tax payer expense. But hypocrites are gonna hypocrite.
rebellionpac.com

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 07:09

Democrat is having an incredible night.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 11:13

Mightysword wrote:
Tue, 4. Feb 20, 07:09
Democrat is having an incredible night.
Seriously WTF is going on.
Genuinely can't determine the answer, I've seen all sorts flying around.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 19:30

I dont know what's going on. I guess making apps is hard.
The world would be better with more software engineers running it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/04/politics ... index.html

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 20:09

I'd settle for better software engineers ;).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Return to “Off Topic English”