2020 US presidential election

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Vertigo 7
x4

Re: 2020 US presidential election

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 29. Dec 19, 03:48

eh, I'm sure some people obsess over the wealthy but not as many as you may think. Americans are not obsessed with the Kardashians or the Hiltons, and most couldn't ramble off a list of fortune 500 companies beyond like 4 or 5 of them despite what TV would have you think. I know they're in the news a lot, but that doesn't mean most give a rats ass. I think you would find that people look more at how they are being used to make others wealthy and not reaping any of the benefits themselves.

There's a lot of people, myself included, that want to put an end to corporate lobbying. I don't believe business interests should define legislature for our citizens, rather it should be the other way around. After all, the constitution begins "We, the people..." not "We, the corporations..." That's something that Sanders beats up on, which I can totally support.

I can't speak for every voter out there, but I've said before, what matters to me most is the character of the candidate. And while I can't prove one way or the other, and I'm not saying he's my choice at this hour, Sanders doesn't appear to have any skeletons in his closet. I'm not aware of any instances where he's dicked over people to get ahead. He seems to have a genuine belief in what he's saying and seems to genuinely care more about the American people than himself. If that holds true, he may very well be the best shot for me. Time will tell and I'm not discounting any of the democrat candidates at this time, except that one from Hawaii... There's just something about her that makes me not want to like her at all, like an evil aura. And of course, the GOP isn't going to allow any republican to seriously challenge Trump so, they're a lost cause.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sun, 29. Dec 19, 05:17

Obama just dropped over ten million on a mansion. The Clintons raked in money into their foundation in exchange for favors while they held an office. Pelosi is a lifelong politician worth more than 100 million. Bernie is a millionaire with multiple homes despite never having worked a real job in his entire life. Warren is a millionaire. Biden is millionaire. Biden's son is a perfect example of politics making a millionaire out of a worthless man. That's a problem with politics being a means to wealth. You get politicians privately obligated to doing the bidding of donors while saying things in public they calculate their supporters want to hear. Trump had that in his favor last election. He was already wealthy. He doesn't need to serve any donors. He can run his platform however he wants. He made a gamble on being unlike a politician and it worked. Having political correctness thrown in his face and him stomping it to death had appeal. I think it will work again for him.

What keeps catching my attention about the policies the dems are putting out there is that they are not designed to make America any better and they consistently seem to be the opposite of Trump just to be the opposite. We can't absorb the cost of medicare for all without more taxes. Same with all the other "free" stuff they want to provide. There is no benefit to embracing illegal aliens yet they do it. There is no reason to pay reparations for a war 150 years ago where everyone affected is long dead and no one living can be expected to pay them. No reason to embrace extreme gun control measures when they don't work. These are policies the dems are putting out not to achieve anything positive but to make people feel good for supporting them. None of them are talking about improving the quality of life of Americans anymore. It is all social justice progressive feelings based rot and if you don't want it you are a bigot, a racist, and a dozen other phobes and ism's. Meanwhile everyone who is not emotionally deranged by President Trump knows what they are going to get if they vote for him even if they don't like him personally. That isn't going to be easy to beat.
Who made that man a gunner?

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 29. Dec 19, 07:10

Mightysword wrote:
Tue, 24. Dec 19, 19:41
fiksal wrote:
Tue, 24. Dec 19, 19:30
Mightysword wrote:
Tue, 24. Dec 19, 18:19
And like I said Sander being a very divisive figure himself, would pick an answer that will piss half of the country off. Doesn't matter what you think about that other half, you need to work with them to have any real progress done.
In that sense, this strategy worked well for Trump. Maybe it can be repeated by Sanders ;)
Then you missed an important part of that state. "Real Progress". It doesn't matter for Trump, for all the bell and whistle around him, he's not the running on a progressive agenda.
Hehe, Trump isnt there to make progress indeed, - is that the first thing we agreed on?

Grim Lock wrote:
Sat, 28. Dec 19, 17:29
America's obsession with old-fart billionaires never ceases to boggle my mind.
Anyone has better idea?
Maximum age and wealth limit?
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Sun, 29. Dec 19, 13:22

fiksal wrote:
Sun, 29. Dec 19, 07:10
Anyone has better idea?
Maximum age and wealth limit?
I don't know about that, i would however put term-limits on both house seats and senate seats, probably some others that don't come to mind right now. Banning lobbying by companies and limiting their political influence would be a good start imo.

Though it's more about a state of mind than something simply changed with a set of rules.

(personally i wouldn't really mind an age limit too, but that's just never gonna happen)
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 29. Dec 19, 13:27

Masterbagger wrote:
Sun, 29. Dec 19, 05:17
Obama just dropped over ten million on a mansion. The Clintons raked in money into their foundation in exchange for favors while they held an office. Pelosi is a lifelong politician worth more than 100 million. Bernie is a millionaire with multiple homes despite never having worked a real job in his entire life. Warren is a millionaire. Biden is millionaire. Biden's son is a perfect example of politics making a millionaire out of a worthless man. That's a problem with politics being a means to wealth. You get politicians privately obligated to doing the bidding of donors while saying things in public they calculate their supporters want to hear. Trump had that in his favor last election. He was already wealthy. He doesn't need to serve any donors. He can run his platform however he wants. He made a gamble on being unlike a politician and it worked. Having political correctness thrown in his face and him stomping it to death had appeal. I think it will work again for him.
Now hold that same lens of financial probity up to the Trump administration and the GoP in general. The Dems are a rounding error on the back of the brazen Trump / GoP greed, corruption, and snout in trough behaviour. They just smile at you and say "but I'm a great businessman" whilst stealing your wallet, denying you healthcare and education, and wrecking your environment. And you smile right back and vote for them.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 29. Dec 19, 17:15

RegisterMe wrote:
Sun, 29. Dec 19, 13:27

Now hold that same lens of financial probity up to the Trump administration and the GoP in general. The Dems are a rounding error on the back of the brazen Trump / GoP greed, corruption, and snout in trough behaviour. They just smile at you and say "but I'm a great businessman" whilst stealing your wallet, denying you healthcare and education, and wrecking your environment. And you smile right back and vote for them.
My dude, your efforts are wasted. Other than the 1%, Trump lovers' problem with democrats has nothing to do directly with money and everything to do with anything that shows compassion to south and central Americans that want to come to the US to escape the corrupt governments and drug cartels, and anything that benefits African Americans, even as unlikely as the proposed reparations are.

If they actually believed the bs they spew about a war 150 years ago, they wouldn't get pissed off when someone wants to take down confederate statues, most of which weren't erected until the mid 1900's at tax payer expense. But hypocrites are gonna hypocrite.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 07:09

Democrat is having an incredible night.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 11:13

Mightysword wrote:
Tue, 4. Feb 20, 07:09
Democrat is having an incredible night.
Seriously WTF is going on.
Genuinely can't determine the answer, I've seen all sorts flying around.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 19:30

I dont know what's going on. I guess making apps is hard.
The world would be better with more software engineers running it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/04/politics ... index.html

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 20:09

I'd settle for better software engineers ;).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 21:35

As far as elections are concerned, my preference would be fewer software engineers, and indeed less software. There is no situation in which involving software in your election is improving matters.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 22:34

red assassin wrote:
Tue, 4. Feb 20, 21:35
As far as elections are concerned, my preference would be fewer software engineers, and indeed less software. There is no situation in which involving software in your election is improving matters.
Disabled/infirm ability to vote? I don't know if there is postal voting (an alternative) in the US to counter that (and enable the oversea vote as well), or whether that's seen as a less secure means of voting (possible intercept or denial of delivery to location intended - though I'd imagine that's hard to get away with - a literal paper trail).

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 22:46

I'm not American, but they have postal voting in largely the same way we do.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 5. Feb 20, 01:11

Bishop149 wrote:
Tue, 4. Feb 20, 11:13
Seriously WTF is going on.
Genuinely can't determine the answer, I've seen all sorts flying around.
Still like that today. Even as of now there are still different claims going about, mainly one version from the state organizers and another from the the precincts leaders.

- Organizers seem to insist that the system didn't crashed, that it still collected the information just fine, the error with the code just made it unable to report. They claimed today the numbers on the app is collected correctly.
- The people who tried to used it to report the result (client side) had said the app just flat out crashed when they attempt to, as far back as entering a pin to log-in step. Which beg the question if they weren't able to report the result for their precincts, then what were collected?

So yeah, still no idea.
RegisterMe wrote:
Tue, 4. Feb 20, 20:09
Or better organizing. Don't quote me on this since I didn't verify it. I was talking with a couple programmers I know from google yesterday (we were having a movie night pizza party) and this melt down happened as we're finishing the party. They said that it seems the development only started back in November since that's when they manage to secure the full funding for it to pay the company behind it. If this is true, you're talking about only roughly three months for developing and testing.

If that is true ... well, even good software engineers are not miracle workers :P

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Wed, 5. Feb 20, 01:14

I think the DNC is at it again. They screwed Sanders over in 2016. I wouldn't be surprised if they played games to make sure Bernie loses and their pick runs.
Who made that man a gunner?

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 5. Feb 20, 02:05

Masterbagger wrote:
Wed, 5. Feb 20, 01:14
I think the DNC is at it again. They screwed Sanders over in 2016. I wouldn't be surprised if they played games to make sure Bernie loses and their pick runs.
Eh I was afraid of that, and by 'that' I mean this will somehow fuel the 101 different conspiracies from both sides. You know I never jump on the bandwagon and keep my distance on the numerous conspiracies piled against the right or the president, and I will also do the same in this cast against the left.

Incompetence? Sure, that much is obvious. But unless I see solid, hard evidence of some larger powerplay, I'll keep this in good faith and assume this is just that: incompetent. It's not healthy for the democracy process when people start making guess and assumption base on their own bias. :wink:

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 5. Feb 20, 04:31

RegisterMe wrote:
Tue, 4. Feb 20, 20:09
Better indeed. It's not that hard.
red assassin wrote:
Tue, 4. Feb 20, 21:35
Of course, dont need to involve electronics with voting. But if one wants to, go half paper and half digital, then why not. Digital records can be saved for a long time, if done correctly.

Many software engineers do this daily.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 5. Feb 20, 10:09

From what I read/watched there are both analog and digital counts, the issue seems to be more about presentation (which some argue is the main purpose of this event thus the big deal).

MFG

Ketraar

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 5. Feb 20, 11:14

Surprised no one has posed this yet

Mightysword wrote:
Wed, 5. Feb 20, 02:05
Masterbagger wrote:
Wed, 5. Feb 20, 01:14
Eh I was afraid of that, and by 'that' I mean this will somehow fuel the 101 different conspiracies from both sides. You know I never jump on the bandwagon and keep my distance on the numerous conspiracies piled against the right or the president, and I will also do the same in this cast against the left.

Incompetence? Sure, that much is obvious. But unless I see solid, hard evidence of some larger powerplay, I'll keep this in good faith and assume this is just that: incompetent. It's not healthy for the democracy process when people start making guess and assumption base on their own bias. :wink:
I dunno.
It looks shady as hell.
It also looks incompetent as hell.
My guess as always with such things is "both" although in what ratio I have no idea.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Wed, 5. Feb 20, 12:49

Bishop149 wrote:
Wed, 5. Feb 20, 11:14
Mightysword wrote:
Wed, 5. Feb 20, 02:05

I dunno.
It looks shady as hell.
It also looks incompetent as hell.
My guess as always with such things is "both" although in what ratio I have no idea.
Here's what I don't get about the conspiracy theories: What exactly was this supposed to achieve? We know there's a paper trail backup to the app because apparently they're not total incompetents, so any conspiracy to fiddle the results would have to be capable of interfering with the paper trail. If you can do that, why introduce the app in the first place? It's just another thing you need to manipulate, and given the timescale it was developed on, it's also a massive unknown in your cunning plans. Plus the resulting chaos just attracts more attention and more scrutiny of the eventual results. It just doesn't make sense. Meanwhile the entire debacle is trivially explained by people who don't understand software signing software contracts and an inexperienced software company over-promising.

Return to “Off Topic English”